The most ignominious defeat in comics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

severance
This topic is about what you think is the most shameful, badly written defeats in comic history.
E.g. Batamn takes the Hulk in an early crossover by somehow winding him and therefore getting him to suck in gas from a poison gas cansiter he opens. (its like being winded a by a housefly). Abysmal the writer shuld have his hands cut off!

I got a load of others but I wonder what anyone else has

Spawnrules
captain aamerica defeating batman, dont get me wrong but to me batman is beyong captain america, he that damn good

olympian
Batman and Cap either winning isent an ignonimous defeat to anyone. Theyr close so any way its possible.

Batman taking Hulk with a kick isent.

And id say Hulk. Ironically one with the most over the top feats ever -in comics- its also one with some of the most lame defeats.

One by Batman.

Another when he was chocked by a snake.

And last by Spiderman thanks to a cement truck.

Laminator_X
Temujin beating Iron-Man without using his rings.

olympian
Oh yeah. Thats another.

severance
Hulk got taken by Doc Ock as well - bloody sacrilege. Justed amped up Ock with adamantium arms cos now adamnatiums just lying around. You can't walk for tripping up on the stuff. Adamantium =beats thehulk. Rubbish

Spawnrules
hulkbusterironman and hulk nobody won instead they solved it in a peaceful negotaion and destroyed a factory, shown in green politics

Space M ummy
no love for spiderman vs. firelord?

RAGE17
wolverine beating lobo, spidey beating firelord, HKH beating JP in their first encounter

olympian
Firelord didnt fought back. He was mostly a punching bag iirc.

Maybe its only for me, but it doesnt sound as...oustrageous.

Sure Spiderman punching a herald is, but there are alot worse.

Lets say its in the list after these mentioned already devil

Disappear
how about the mandarin losing to the dreaded off-panel death?

thesilverspider
wolverine beating namor with one slash

DigiMark007
Yeah, Firelord must cry himself to sleep after that loss...

Also moving this thread.

Spawnrules
lmao this is hilarious

severance
way back in 80's Langowski sasquatch (the one that lifts up battleships and tosses plane) gets beaten up physically (no gadgets tricks or other powers) by...

wait for it...

machine man!!! I can bench more this purple skeined gaybot.

i know strength is not the ultimated arbiter of who wins a fight - but it is one is fighting a proverbial gnat

Scoobless
Originally posted by Laminator_X
Temujin beating Iron-Man without using his rings.

didn't he channel the rings power into his Chi or something?

Originally posted by severance
Hulk got taken by Doc Ock as well - bloody sacrilege.

totally disagree..... the Hulk got his ass kicked and he deserved it... Ock fought smart and beat the crap out of him

Laminator_X
Originally posted by Scoobless

Nope. IM said something about not wanting it to be a lopsided fight, and Temujin says something like "I agree" and drops all ten rings. He then rushes tony and starts pounding him, smashes holes in the armor, main power failing (which seems to happen constantly under Grell's pen), Tony gets off a few easily dodged repulsor blasts before being beaten half to death with no explanation of how Temujin was able to do it. Good Kung-Fu? Apperantly Temujin must have studied under Karate Kid from the Legion or something without it or any other sort of foundation for this having been mentioned in the plot. Come on! Iron-Fist couldn't have dominated Tony like that!

Tony was only saved when this Junkie-Pseudo-Chechen-Rebel-Cyborg-Chick busts in and tears up the place.

Blair Wind
Deathstroke kicking kyles ass...it was pathetic, why just stand there when u have the most powerful weapon in the universe?!!

roughrider
Originally posted by severance
way back in 80's Langowski sasquatch (the one that lifts up battleships and tosses plane) gets beaten up physically (no gadgets tricks or other powers) by...

wait for it...

machine man!!! I can bench more this purple skeined gaybot.

i know strength is not the ultimated arbiter of who wins a fight - but it is one is fighting a proverbial gnat

Machine Man, in his mini series, also beat up the Iron Man of 2020, Arno Stark, who has about 90-100 times his strength. Pleeeaassee. Blame Tom DeFalco.

Adam Warlock
Batman knocking out Carnage was full of sh!t.

roughrider
What can we say about non-canon crossovers? Venom beat Superman and Wolverine beat Lobo!

severance
Originally posted by Scoobless

totally disagree..... the Hulk got his ass kicked and he deserved it... Ock fought smart and beat the crap out of him

Ock is smart but also human. that adamantium is harder than hulks hide for sure but it is attached to flesh. Considering hulk can dent and reshape adamnatium i think he could rip the adamantium appendages from ocks body. plus how has ock got the leverage to hold hulk in the air tie up all of his 100 class limbs and wail on him with no reply. he'd need two tenatcles to hold hulk and two to support himself otherwise all of hulks 1200lb body is held in the air by human legs. I don't see ock achieving this. It was just a bad writers ploy to make ock seem 'suped up' and extra tough. They used to do the same to the Thing all the time. How can we make our bad guy look tough. lets have em beat up thing.

severance
wolverine didn't just beat lobo, but he did it with bone claws. lobo is superman strength an immortal - fanboyism gone mad

severance
I really dont see how cannoball could defeat gladiator his confidence must have bben the same as my confidence that i look like bradd pitt

olympian
He didnt won against Gladiator. He managed to get one shot that didnt do any damage to him.

Gladiator`s confidence only goes down when pll who he knows first hand (or manages to see after some sparring) are weaker than him, survive shots that they - shouldnt be able to -

So when one of those weaker pll does a miracle, his confidence gets shaken.

Its the same concept of you going against one you know is well below your level. When he does something impressive, doesnt your confidence on your own abilities shake?

Its the same idea.

yahman
Originally posted by olympian
He didnt won against Gladiator. He managed to get one shot that didnt do any damage to him.

Gladiator`s confidence only goes down when pll who he knows first hand (or manages to see after some sparring) are weaker than him, survive shots that they - shouldnt be able to-

So when one of those weaker pll does a miracle, his confidence gets shaken.

Its the same concept of you going against one you know is well below your level. When he does something impressive, doesnt your confidence on your own abilities shake?

Its the same idea.

Portugal vs Greece rings a bell .... shifty

olympian
Rings more than one bub.

But at least you got the whole concept.

yahman
Rings more than one bub.

But at least you got the whole concept.

Mate that was such a bad game !!!!! laughing out loud Although you kicked our asses. If Rooney hadn't gotten injured ? big grin

olympian
The Gods wer on theyr side.

If only we had something to make an offert to them...

roughrider
The Gods wer on theyr side.

If only we had something to make an offert to them...

Do you switch to cheering for Brazil once your burgundy boys are eliminated? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Avalonofthewind
Prometheus losing to Alfred....

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/avalonofthewind/536521.jpg

olympian
"Do you switch to cheering for Brazil once your burgundy boys are eliminated?"

In this case, its Spain.

Worlwide, sure. If one loses near the final, i have no problems cheering for others i like.

roughrider
My neighbourhood is heavy with Italians and Portuguese. The flags come out quickly for Brazil when Portugal is eliminated, being a former colony. I would cheer for Canada, but we are no good! laughing Tied for 86th in the world right now, with North Korea! Until we get decent, I cheer for England and Ireland.

Space M ummy
Ok, I know its a bit late but the winner is....

Doctor Doom being taken out by Squirrels

and don't give me the "It's a doombot" excuse

severance
Any cross over defeats are badly scripted

Hulk losing to Superman. I don't mind that Hulk lost to the blue and red boyscout it was the fact that it took up just about 2 pages of comic book. so it seems as if it took less than a round of combat.

Same for Thor vs Supes. should have taken days and both should have been bloodied and battered by the end of it.

Lobo vs Wolverine. Wrters can't imagine how it could possibly happen (perhaps we should not have let the fans decide). So lets have them fight out of view for 2 panels and wolverine emerges to have a puff on a cigar. Crap crap crap

Solidus Snake
alpha flight defeating galactus

manjaro
the mother of all these would be everytime spidy beats electro...sure he's been a dumb villain for a long time but since he got schooled by Doc Ock when they were in prison 2gether....teaching how to use electricty to ionize metals and levitate them, and bend them to his will like a sort of magentism and all that, plus how to manipulte the electrical impulses of the synapses in ppls brain to control thier muscles.....Electro is a heavy hitter now. he can do all that plus fire his powers as a massive concussive bolt, with tons of heat as seen recently when he broke Sauran out of prison and he destroyed the whole place with one blast.

anyhoo, the moral of this story is. along with all those attributes, Electro went to a power station in NY once to amp up his powers 1000 fold, this has happened about 4 times in thier entire comic history IIRC, but even though he was 1000 times more powerful, you know how spiderman beat him? by stopping at a construction site and picking up a pair of rubber gloves and boots......i shit you not! ppl, then a quip, quip here, and a jeer, jeer there, electro was on his ass in no time flat, even tho he cuased a massive black out in NY.

severance
Originally posted by manjaro
the mother of all these would be everytime spidy beats electro...sure he's been a dumb villain for a long time but since he got schooled by Doc Ock when they were in prison 2gether....teaching how to use electricty to ionize metals and levitate them, and bend them to his will like a sort of magentism and all that, plus how to manipulte the electrical impulses of the synapses in ppls brain to control thier muscles.....Electro is a heavy hitter now. he can do all that plus fire his powers as a massive concussive bolt, with tons of heat as seen recently when he broke Sauran out of prison and he destroyed the whole place with one blast.

anyhoo, the moral of this story is. along with all those attributes, Electro went to a power station in NY once to amp up his powers 1000 fold, this has happened about 4 times in thier entire comic history IIRC, but even though he was 1000 times more powerful, you know how spiderman beat him? by stopping at a construction site and picking up a pair of rubber gloves and boots......i shit you not! ppl, then a quip, quip here, and a jeer, jeer there, electro was on his ass in no time flat, even tho he cuased a massive black out in NY.

so the writers went to all the trouble of amping up a villain (which is necessary if that villain has been trashed a few times). Then they realised they couldn't work out how spidey could beat him and used the old rubber insulates crap

leonheartmm
superman defeating the entire gl corp.
surfer defeating cable.
dr strange defeatin/resistin the tribunal, IG, death, inbetweener, etc etc.
alpha fligth defeating galactus
quaysar absorbing ego
invisible woman killing a celestial
wolverine defeating the hulk
spiderman defeating the non psychic x men, and the ff4
spiderman defeating johhny storm
thanos defeating the fallen one

blaaaah i could keep on goin all day.

manjaro
in gl rebirth, hal punching batman in the face and bats didnt see it coming.. him being a supreme martial artist and all

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.