Western Philosophy or Eastern Philosophy?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WindDancer
We all know that philosophy is just philosophy. But those of you who follow the Philosophical studies know that there are two global ideologies.

Eastern Philosophy comes from China, Japan, Middle East, India, and Tibet. And includes philosophers like:

Confucius
Lao Tzu
Prince Siddhartha (i.e. Buddha)
And also Hindu scriptures

Western Philosophy comes from different European nations, Ancient Greece, and America. And includes philosophers like:

Socrates
Berkeley
Kant
Marx
Sarte

If you follow Western Philosophy you'll notice that certain ideas lean towards Scientific evidence. Why do you think that happens mostly in the West? Finally, which one captivates you the most? Eastern or Western Philosophy? Or both?

lil bitchiness
Hmm, interesting.

I'd like to say, that for the Eastern Philosophies, you named philosphers who lived hundrads and thousands of years ago, but in Western you mention Marx and Kant. (Kafka should be there too, as well as Neitchzche stick out tongue)

So the philosophies are already gonna vary greatly as it is.

Eastern philosophies have their strong points, but so do western - i dont think either overrules.

Eastern philosophies are far more spiritual.

Spelljammer
Eastern, Wstern "philosophy" seems to be nothing but selfish ideas wrapped around big words. As the West is as a whole. Disrespectful, greedy, and sickening..

debbiejo
You've been starting good threads WindDancer....Though I just take from pieces of this and that....I haven't read much of any of these people really, but have come to my own conclusions that probably lean more to the east....in a kinda of heretic, something or other....

Why do I bother trying to answer this question....?? blink big grin

soleran30
Gotta give props to Eastern Philosophies just cuz Western Ideas I never appreciated as much.

My man Lau-tzu .......When people see some things as good,
other things become bad.

Bardock42

Great Vengeance
It doesnt make a difference as long as the man knows what hes talking about.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Great Vengeance
It doesnt make a difference as long as the man knows what hes talking about.

Which can also be subjective...And only know to that persons own experience and view.

Great Vengeance
Originally posted by debbiejo
Which can also be subjective...And only know to that persons own experience and view.

I was talking about my preferences, or rather that I have none as long as the man makes sense whether from east or west.

WindDancer
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Hmm, interesting.

I'd like to say, that for the Eastern Philosophies, you named philosphers who lived hundrads and thousands of years ago, but in Western you mention Marx and Kant. (Kafka should be there too, as well as Neitchzche stick out tongue)

So the philosophies are already gonna vary greatly as it is.

Eastern philosophies have their strong points, but so do western - i dont think either overrules.

Eastern philosophies are far more spiritual.

Bah! Nietzsche was a fool for his critique on the great Socrates! stick out tongue

But seriously, you've touched on something rather fascinating. When you said Eastern philosophy to be more "spiritual" you're bringing religious themes. How is it that Western philosophy broke away from Religious ideas and directed itself to a more scientific learning? While the eastern philosophies remained with those spiritiual ideas. That it is why I've always been intrigued about the differences between the two.

DigiMark007
...um...1st post in the philosophy forum, so excuse me if I sound like a newb.

But good point WD (though it was also an elaboration on lb's point).

Eastern philosophy is hard to separate from religion, whereas Western scientific thought breaks from it somewhat. Hindu, Buddist, even Islamic philosophy is woven into the very culture of the people.

I am, personally, more intrigued by Eastern philosophy, but at the same time most of what I point to as "my philosophical and religious beliefs" are things that can be deduced from some sort of solid scientific evidence or at the very least rational thought processes. I suppose it's somewhat a product of my Western upbringing. Where a Buddhist/Hindu/insert philosophy school/etc. can simply understand and accept something like, say, reincarnation...I needed insanely detailed reports and heavily-researched case studies before I said "yes, that's what I believe."

OoH! I had a thought....here goes...

The Western philosophers sought the nature of things....be it the universe, the human mind, the nature of thought or reason, etc. (i.e. science) They deconstructed existence into intricate parts to get at it's meaning (maybe I'm wrong here, but this is my take on it). Now think about Confucius (or Eastern thought in general for that matter)...many of his famous phrases seem like common sense, and yet their beauty lies in their simplicity, wisdom, and compassion.

Western focused, for many centuries, on the "How?" Eastern focused on the "Why?" Both seemed to hit on many of the same underlying meanings. Much of current science lends support to the existence of some higher intelligence at work...research and case studies can find the same need for tolerance and love as any philosophy. And many fully-fleshed-out philosophies and religions teach the same values, just in different guises.

Hopefully I don't sound dumb here...after posting for a while over in the religion forum, I'm trying my hand here in the philosophy forum, and I feel a bit more lost than usual (thus the frequent references to religion, which I tried to limit).

soleran30
At the end of the day religion is just a fancy word for philosophy anyway or visa versa

Bardock42
Originally posted by WindDancer
Bah! Nietzsche was a fool for his critique on the great Socrates! stick out tongue

Nietzsche said Platon was an idiot....Nietzsche is always right...you will not question the great Nietzsche....his word shall be your law.....

Spelljammer
Originally posted by WindDancer

But seriously, you've touched on something rather fascinating. When you said Eastern philosophy to be more "spiritual" you're bringing religious themes. How is it that Western philosophy broke away from Religious ideas and directed itself to a more scientific learning? While the eastern philosophies remained with those spiritiual ideas. That it is why I've always been intrigued about the differences between the two.
Because the east holds more ying in their general souls where as the west holds more yang. Which was why the west were more suseptable to evil and because they had oppurtunities and no means to learn better, they DID degenerate into evil and that's why all the bullcrap throughout history happend..

Now it's even more disgusting this evil turn, an American today could in no way survive in Japan. The amount of respect, honour, tradition, rules, and regulations they have with EVERYTHING would make thier neo-liberal heads explode..

WindDancer
Originally posted by DigiMark007
...um...1st post in the philosophy forum, so excuse me if I sound like a newb.

But good point WD (though it was also an elaboration on lb's point).

Eastern philosophy is hard to separate from religion, whereas Western scientific thought breaks from it somewhat. Hindu, Buddist, even Islamic philosophy is woven into the very culture of the people.

I am, personally, more intrigued by Eastern philosophy, but at the same time most of what I point to as "my philosophical and religious beliefs" are things that can be deduced from some sort of solid scientific evidence or at the very least rational thought processes. I suppose it's somewhat a product of my Western upbringing. Where a Buddhist/Hindu/insert philosophy school/etc. can simply understand and accept something like, say, reincarnation...I needed insanely detailed reports and heavily-researched case studies before I said "yes, that's what I believe."

OoH! I had a thought....here goes...

The Western philosophers sought the nature of things....be it the universe, the human mind, the nature of thought or reason, etc. (i.e. science) They deconstructed existence into intricate parts to get at it's meaning (maybe I'm wrong here, but this is my take on it). Now think about Confucius (or Eastern thought in general for that matter)...many of his famous phrases seem like common sense, and yet their beauty lies in their simplicity, wisdom, and compassion.

Western focused, for many centuries, on the "How?" Eastern focused on the "Why?" Both seemed to hit on many of the same underlying meanings. Much of current science lends support to the existence of some higher intelligence at work...research and case studies can find the same need for tolerance and love as any philosophy. And many fully-fleshed-out philosophies and religions teach the same values, just in different guises.

Hopefully I don't sound dumb here...after posting for a while over in the religion forum, I'm trying my hand here in the philosophy forum, and I feel a bit more lost than usual (thus the frequent references to religion, which I tried to limit).

That's real good! I like it DigiMark. Maybe we do care more about the nature of things in the West and become reluctant of spirituality. And your post is no were close to dumb. Well said.

Originally posted by Bardock42
Nietzsche said Platon was an idiot....Nietzsche is always right...you will not question the great Nietzsche....his word shall be your law.....

Who gets to be the master? stick out tongue

Capt_Fantastic
As lil'B pointed out, Eastern philosophy deals more with internal absolution. Eastern philosophy deals more with inner peace and how to cope with teh hardships of life, and others around you. It is a big part of their religions. Western philosophy, however, has been developed to teh point where it stands in direct opposition to our religions. Western philosophy sets us apart from the rest of the world, while most Eastern philosophies place us in the natural order.

I think both are valid, and go a long way towards making a person well rounded.

Fëanor
now if we can only mesh the two together, we might have something.

Zarathustra

-hh-
Originally posted by Bardock42

and the opportunity opens eek!

"Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal"- Leo Tolstoy

"Nietzsche claimed that his genius was in his nostrils and I think it is a very excellent place for it to be."- Felini (spelling?)

stick out tongue

-hh-
"Attention to health is life's greatest hindrance" Plato
"Plato was a bore" Friedrich Nietzsche
"Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal" Leo Tolstoy
"I'm not going to get into the ring with Tolstoy" Ernest Hemingway
"Hemingway was a jerk" Harold Robbins"

how much hate can Philosophers tolerate no expression stick out tongue

jOHN_Anderton
I will first and foremost make my own way through this World. But I will not hesitate to borrow, nay, TAKE, whatever I see along the way that is useful to me. I will examine it, anneal and shape it and incorporate it into my ever evolving understanding of life, the universe and how I relate to it all. I laugh at the smugness of the Western philosopher, I yawn at the complacency of the Easter mystic, I turn my back to the commonplace vulgarity and fear mongering ways of organized religion in general. For I am the new synthesis, and I carry the future with ME!

These old millennial creatures of "civilized society" are ridiculous and out of date. They are most interested in their own self survival, expansion and prestige than anything else. THATS a fact Jack, and anyone who doesn't know that is completely asleep. The sentinels of the truth, if there ever was any lieing somewhere inside all of these organizations, have long since departed and been replaced by unknowing men who have bastardized the real meaning and real message and distorted it for their own furtherance in the name of fill in the blank. Truth, Beauty and Love - the three things I admire the most - they took the last train for the coast - and their music has long since died.

The old ways of thinking have had well over 2000 years of control and all they do is bloody the landscape and create ever more misery and human suffering. HOW DARE THEY TRY TO END THIS BEAUTY! HOW DARE THEY TRY TO HIDE THIS TRUTH! Well I say unto ye my awake and unplugged brothers and sisters, the fear mongering ways and hateful actions of these relics from the last century are at an end. In this, their final sytruggle, they will try to convince you that they will bring on Armageddon itself if thats what it takes to scare you into submission yet again and so maintain their greedy death grip on this blue planet. They would paint it black to maintain control for they are all drunk with power and wealth and have long ago become something less than human. Aye, mark me well, their looks deceive but these are real and powerful demons, human type demons. They Live! But, their days are numbered as the free flow of information abounds and everyone on the planet can, for the first time, loggon.

They don't belong in the light of the new day that's dawning inside us, inside this new World in the beginning years of this new century at the very top of this new millennium! Long have their archaic ways of thinking become fossilized and irrelevant to the spirit of those who would become 21st century poets, philosophers, scientists, artists, lovers, mothers & fathers and enlightened citizens! Let the new day dawn! Let the new Millennium begin! Slow to start and in the midst of everything nasty, murderous, paranoid and black hearted which issues from the desperation of those whose grip is loosening, this cloud will disperse and these ancient ways of thinking and being will die and fall back into the 20th century where they belong.

Wonderer

Great Vengeance
You guys do know nietzsche was a borderline nihilist who criticized everything and had a mental breakdown in his 40s right?

StrangeDays
a famous quote from somewhere ....
'complete paranoia is complete awareness'

Wonderer
Buddhism is the perfect "East meets West" philosophy, because it is atheistic, but also positive, peacefull, responsible, logical as well as religious, spiritual and simply a wise way of life.

Zarathustra
Originally posted by Great Vengeance
You guys do know nietzsche was a borderline nihilist who criticized everything and had a mental breakdown in his 40s right?
Yes, and that's a gross oversimplification (in fact, an inaccurate portrayal) of his writings. The causes of said "mental breakdown" are uncertain, but it may be the result of syphillis: Nietzsche's chronic health problems are well documented.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.