A History of Violence

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pandemoniac
The latest Cronenberg flick, apparently out on DVD in the US already, but still awaiting it's theatrical debut in Europe.
As far as I've read it seems like a pretty good movie. Has anybody seen it and if so, what are your thoughts? Cause I'm considering watching this one on the big screen here, but I would like to know if that would be worth the time and money.
Thanks on behalf!

Wolfie
Horror?

Pandemoniac
Horror has many faces, and maybe this movie doesn't fit to any of them. But that's one of the things I wish to find out.
But obviously you know more about this film than I do, care to share some info?

b-dan
this isnt even a horror its a thriller/ action and pluse its based on a comic book but only the first 15 minutes are as close to the comic as the movie gets but it is based on it for osme reason

doomsday49
average reluctant-revenge movie with an extremely callow approach at trying to give human quality to action, that gain undeserved praise by many critics. This movie sucks. I don't understand the praise that it got. The only powerful moment in the movie was the last scene at the dinner table. Personally i don't recommend it. Some cool jui-jitsu moves though.

Princess Diana
Genius movie - I think you have to be an adult to get it really, its not for early twenties smile

doomsday49
LOL "Genius movie" please point out the brilliance of this movie old wise one. All it was was an action movie clothe in family crap that's suppose to exhibit the human side of the story, mixed in some half-ass freudian nonsense that is suppose to be the substance of this, otherwise, unstylish film. Please have a little more respect for people next time. Don't say unnecessary stuff like "It's not for early twenties" what the heck is that. A quality movie is not confine to age groups. Me not liking a movie is a personal matter. Notice i wrote "Personally" i don't recommend it. However if you would like to discuss the movie's strong and weak points let's do that. After all this is a discussion board right? I'll be more than happy to share my thoughts on the movie.

Cinemaddiction
There is none. It's not on DVD, it's Cronenberg trying to with a drama which he can't do, and subsequently failing, adding all his touches that don't mesh.

There's a thread for this in the MDF.

Princess Diana
Originally posted by doomsday49
LOL "Genius movie" please point out the brilliance of this movie old wise one. All it was was an action movie clothe in family crap that's suppose to exhibit the human side of the story, mixed in some half-ass freudian nonsense that is suppose to be the substance of this, otherwise, unstylish film. Please have a little more respect for people next time. Don't say unnecessary stuff like "It's not for early twenties" what the heck is that. A quality movie is not confine to age groups. Me not liking a movie is a personal matter. Notice i wrote "Personally" i don't recommend it. However if you would like to discuss the movie's strong and weak points let's do that. After all this is a discussion board right? I'll be more than happy to share my thoughts on the movie.

I rest my case its not for early twenties - start your investigation into this genre with "Straw Dogs" smile Its from the seventies and stars Dustin Hoffman - Your homework is to watch it.

A History owes much to it smile

A History is a stylish prodigal son "Western", with many elements of the Western retired gunslinger genre. It also pays homage to the road movie/gangster movie/man against the odds genres. It is tongue in cheek often yet never fails to be dramatic.

touches like the desperation sex scene were excellent and needed for the plot.

Its a grown ups film.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.