KHAAAAN verus Ackbar: Chess

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gryn Jabar
Well? Khan from Star Trek versus Ackbar in a chess match.

Deus Ex
KHAAAAANNN!!

IKC
Thrawn beats them both.

Deus Ex
Revan beats him.

Darth_Glentract
No way. Thrawn takes Revan. There are many ways to predict an opponents moves.

IKC
Are you kidding? Thrawn would wipe the floor with Revan as far as tactics and strategy go.

Deus Ex
In strategy? I don't think we have enough information on Revan's war strategy to say that. Certainly Revan was the tactical genius of his time just as Thrawn was of his...

In a game of chess? Revan. Being able to read your opponent's moves before they happen helps.

Darth_Glentract
Thrawn does the same thing.

Plus, Revan was outnumbered three to one and took the Republic to the brink. Thrawn was FAR more outnumbered than that.

Deus Ex
Oh really? Thrawn has force aided Battle Precognition now? Since when?

And last time these two went head to head in a thread, me and others points out and rightfully so that you can't compare two generals from two separate time periods who had

A) different scenarios

B) different technologies

C) different enemies

D) different logistics

The only way to say one was fairly better than the other would be to put them both into the exact same situation.

IKC
I'm pretty sure Thrawn has the intelligence and strength of will to resist any significant mental probes Revan might send forth.

That, and Thrawn is only known for his abilities as a military leader. Revan's talents were spread between these abilities and his or her skills as a warrior and force user.

Deus Ex
Probes? Where the **** did probes come into affect?

IKC
Reading one's moves before they happen, unless you mean that Revan can actually focus precognitive Force abilities on the chessboard itself and predict all of Thrawn's moves. I think Thrawn's unpredictable and strong-of-will enough to avoid this Force-aided precognition.

Deus Ex
Revan's precognition is.... precognition. It's knowledge before it comes into being in reality. This is irrespective of the will power of the other individual since the power is passive and supercedes even normal jedi heightened attunement, which has been shown to allow young Annie to fly in podraces, or Mace to deflect multiple blaster shots from various sides using two blades. And as an amusing sidenote (Since this is a gameplay mechanic thing, it doesn't neccessarily reflect the real deal) Battle Precognition is a lightside power no less.

BOBBY1234
I think it would be Thrawn by a landslide! Knowing him, he would probably have a ysalamiri in his back pocket to "even" the playing field.
Everyone knows Thrawn's favorite preparation is "know your enemy", so why would this be any different?
I marked "even" because his tactical genius and state of near, if not total, omniscience of your every course of action before even the thought of it hits your head would, in my opinion, not allow for anyone to have an "even" advantage against him. To be honest though, I have know idea who Revan is, so my guess about Thrawn is only based on my reading about him. Feel free to fill me in who Revan is.

Deus Ex
IF you have no idea who Revan is, how can you say "I think it would be Thrawn by a landslide!"?

Doesn't this imply arguing by ignorance?

Do you realize that this started off as a goof thread about Khan and Akbar playing chess?

BOBBY1234
Sorry about not knowing who Revan was, -note my junior member status.. Yes, but I saw a chance for Thrawn discussion and decided to join. Thrawn's genius, as described in the books by Zahn, is seemingly unparalleled. So I think he would win regardless of who is across him. If Revan's main advantage is the Force, then Thrawn would find a way to disable it (ysalamiri for example).

Tengu Man
wow..... i thought this was about ackbar and thrawn. laughing

Deus Ex
Meh, sorry for jumping on you. And unless Thrawn is a sneaky bastard and sneaks some of those ysalamiri under the chess table, this one's for the Sith.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.