Truth vs Palpatine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Escape81
I've seen many threads. One of which is the Galactic Empire vs the Covenant. I am an avid Halo fan, and a reader of the three excellent novels based on the game. Now, the Empire vs the Covenant thread gave me an idea. What if the evil, powerful, and vile manipulating lords of either regime were to duel?

The High Prophet of Truth and Emperor Palpatine possess many similar qualities. Both are liars, deceivers, cruel, and clever. And both have a tendancy to use and then dispose of their right-hand-men. But who would win should these lords of evil decide to do battle?

You decide.

The battle takes place in the Inner Sanctum of the Hierarchs on High Charity - the Covenant stronghold. Neither combatant is allowed any sort of support. Truth has his chair and technology. Sidious has his saber and his Force powers.

Deus Ex
I remember that battle. Phew. It has been awhile though... something like six months. I'm going to say that DE Sids would mess this thing up, but ROTS Sids? Not sure.

Escape81
Indeed. The further I think about it, the Prophet of Mercy was not a danger up close. But when he teleported, and put distance in between himself and the Master Chief, he was uniquely deadly. That laser burst is far deadlier than a Hunter's fuel rod cannon, which is also known for near instant-kills.

Truth was the ringleader and true villain of the story. So who knows what modifications his throne might have had, compared to the other Prophets.

Darth_Glentract
DE Sidious wins of course. ROTS probably wins.

Deus Ex
I rather enjoyed the Arbiter storyline myself. I don't care for the fandom of Master Chief. When I played Halo 2 online I was almost always an elite, even though it made for a hard match every time (Being a big target)

I even had a white and blue color scheme. I enjoy playing competition from a disadvantage.

Deus Ex
And also on topic, I think Sidious could be put to the test with the laser and some distance; remember Yoda nearly caught him with that pod.

Escape81
He would. I do not know if Truth's energy shield for his throne would deflect Palpatine's Force Lightning. But his lightsaber would get through. However, I do not know if Truth would allow Sidious to get close.

The Inner Sanctum isn't immensely large, but it has enough space that Truth can teleport and spread out. In close combat, he does not have the edge. But in long-ranged combat, he does. Sidious has nothing to throw and no real environment to manipulate.

Indeed, a few strikes of Truth's fuel rod cannon, and Sidious will be dead. But if he is quick, on guard, and resourceful, I believe he could defeat the Prophet.

exanda kane
Halo Books Goood! LOL wtf

Escape81
And 'Dark Empire' Palpatine is much more powerful than his Revenge of The Sith counterpart. But 'that' version of Palpatine isn't to be included in this battle. It's ROTS Palpatine vs H2 Prophet of Truth.

jollyjim311
Sidious could throw debris at Truth from all angles to distract him and then come into melee to decapitate him. Or his lightning would probably screw up that floaty chair.

DrDoom101
Originally posted by Darth_Glentract
DE Sidious wins of course. ROTS probably wins.

whos more powerful, DE or ROTS?

Deus Ex
DE by far.

Escape81
ROTS Sidious isn't particularly powerful when compared to the vast majority of his predeccessors. However, in Dark Empire, he has a host of new powers. His nuclear ones also were augmented. The greatest of his new abilities is the Force Storm, which is an assault so powerful, it can either destroy entire fleets - or teleport people from one place to another. Even across the void of space.

As DE Sidious, he is 'immensely' powerful.

Deus Ex
Him and Nihilus border on cheap for use in these threads by virtue of their powers.

Lord Simus
I don't consider DE Sids cheap his Force Storm hurts him more than it helps him.

Deus Ex
It's an instant KO though. Also, no one's ever bothered to say it if involved prep or what.

Lord Simus
Well it takes a huge amount of concentration, wasn't it covered in the DE Sidious vs. Exar Kun thread?

Deus Ex
I don't recall. If it takes more than a bit though, it'd get his ass beat.

Lord Simus
I think a huge amount of concentration takes more than a bit of time.

Deus Ex
With fanboys, you never know.

Lord Simus
But thats a different spectrum entirely.

Deus Ex
Definately.

That genital irritation ad has been following me over five pages now. Should I be worried?

Lord Simus
No, but then again...

Deus Ex
*Checks*

Nah.

Escape81
Well, from the comics, it required a lot of concentration. As soon as Palpatine could clear his mind to summon it, it was cast instantly. He cast it in close quarters, so it is probable that he would not be consumed in the explosion unless it was 'turned on him'.

However, Leia and Luke managed to disrupt the process by attacking him, causing the Force Storm to rebound on Palpatine.

So Kun would win if he quickly killed Palpatine, which he probably is capable of doing. Otherwise, Kun would die.

Deus Ex
That's what I had assumed. And Kun is notoriously wicked fast.

Escape81
Yeah.

Palpatine's Force Storm requires a lot of concentration. And when you're being assaulted by a powerful opponent, Palpatine's instant-kill power is not of much use. But if there was a lot of distance between them, OR if Palpatine knew he was coming, he would stand a very excellent chance.

But other than that, Kun would win.

Deus Ex
Assuming Kun couldn't likewise use Sith magicks against him. The guy did freeze an entire crowd.

Escape81
If the freeze literally put him in stasis - there'd be no problem. If it does not freeze the mind, or anything, then it would do no good. But Kun *is* very fast, so he would win.

Darth Magnevus
This thread was poorly thought over. Truth is a weakling, as is his whole race, the prophets. His only defence is that chair he sits in. Any of you who played the game Halo 2 would know that it is compleatly pathetic.

Deus Ex
Originally posted by Darth Magnevus
This thread was poorly thought over. Truth is a weakling, as is his whole race, the prophets. His only defence is that chair he sits in. Any of you who played the game Halo 2 would know that it is compleatly pathetic.

And the last good thread you made, God?

http://img420.imageshack.us/img420/4782/oldschool3sf.jpg

Escape81
Originally posted by Darth Magnevus

1. The Prophet you mentioned was Mercy, who was perhaps the very weakest of the High Prophets.

2. The 'chair' in question is also brought into the battle. We know for sure that it at 'least' has the defensive capabilities Mercy's had. Such as a teleportation ability, a nearly impenetrable shield, and a laser burst that is twice that of a Hunter's fuel rod cannon.

Darth Magnevus
yes, but Sidius was inexplainably stronger than Truth. I have read the books and the only way Truth would be strong enough to beat Sidius is if he had a small army of Elietes, or if he was in the Covinent refit and repair station, the name of which I cant remember.

Escape81
Erm... Truth is 'only' mentioned in 'First Strike', where he is glimpsed at in the last chapter. He has three-hundred Elite Honorguards, but as we have seen, many tyrants in science-fiction have bodyguards. And, like Palpatine, he may not need them...

... So no. There is NO way to tell whether or not Truth required them or not. We know he is cowardly as Palpatine, so perhaps he simply wanted not to take a chance.

Darth Magnevus
hmm, that is true. Palpatine would probalby get overconfident as well. Also, I am wondering. Specify the Truth we are talking about, the Truth from befor Halo was destroyed or after?

Escape81
The High Prophet of Truth. One of the three Covenant Hierarchs. He was the leader, and one of the beings responsible for the Covenant Civil War. He planned out the destruction of the Elites. Truth is the ONLY surviving Prophet at the end of Halo 2. He escapes in a Forerunner flagship, and takes the Covenant fleet to Earth, where he plans on activating the Ark and destroying the galaxy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.