Willllllllllma!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

fini
yeah the hurricane people are back, now to report on Hurricane Wilma, which, as 5 am today beat Hurricane Gilbert ( sniff) as the strongest hurricane ever recorded in the atlantic. She has sustained winds of 175 mph and a central pressure of 884 mbs.

Right now the yewall is breaking down in order to get larger. BUT heck, this storm was a Category 1 yesterday evening and in 12 hrs its now the strongest hurricane ever. DAMN.

oh yeah they are tracking it to head to Florida, but it could to the Yucatan or even into the gulf.

STAY TUNED.

finti
the answer my friend is blowing in the wind the answer is blowing in the wind....................................BoB

fini
lol there was a question?????????????????????

hehe

finti
just felt like it big grin

fini
lol good reason .

finti
better that then a quote from Fred Flintstone

debbiejo
OH...I was thinking this was a fred Flinstone thingie.....hahahaha

botankus
Here she is:

fini
Exactly, why I said it like Fred, lol ever since it formed thats how i've been saying the name. Not Wilma, but Willlmmaaaa

Lord Nauj
Hurray another Hurricane evil face

botankus
She doesn't look too pleased.

Lord Nauj
Originally posted by botankus
She doesn't look too pleased.
laughing out loud

PVS
*wraps florida in yellow police tape*

ok people, nothing to see here. this is just a cooincidence,
global warming is just a myth, everything is fine, please disburse

Afro Cheese
Damn.. that sucks... it's coming right for us. Now everyone's gonna rush for supplies like they did for Katrina. Work is probably going to be really busy today.

soleran30
Problem with global warming and Hurricanes is that the ones that hit our coasts are generally formed by the currents and weather patterns just off the coast of africa.........so even if everyone in USA started to use water and got rid of all carbon in our products so would everyone else.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Damn.. that sucks... it's coming right for us. Now everyone's gonna rush for supplies like they did for Katrina. Work is probably going to be really busy today. Ahhhhh just move to an inland state. big grin

We just have nasty squirrels.

Kella
I am so annoyed by this hurricane season!

First it screwed up my Dad's 50th birthday party which was on August 28th (Katrina hit early Aug 29th) and then screwed my cousin's birthday (she turned 8 and had to be seperated from her parents that very same day) and then screwed my birthday and my Aunt's birthday (still evacuated by the end of September) and now Wiiiiillllllllma! has just screwed our Disney trip that we had planned for this weekend to destress from the devestation of Katrina that we've been dealing with. We lost a lot...my parent's have lost everything and everyone is stressed to the breaking point and we just needed to take a cheap trip to Disney...just for 3 days. but NO!!!! God forbid that we can get a break in this!

I know I sound spoiled...sorry. We had season passes anyway and motel 6 is really cheap. We were able to swing it. We have MRE's coming out of the wazoo so we wouldn't have to worry too much about the food issue either. Grr... I just needed a few days to relax!

manjaro
damn im gonna have to painstakingly take down my fence this time. cuz the last time we thought it could hold up but it got creamed, and that was the skirt of Ivan that did that. *shakes fist angrily* damn you Wilma!!!

Lord Nauj
the end is near evil face

fini
yeah the END of this year's hurricane season.

manny321
This year is nuts and historic. We have had the strongest (Wilma) the 4th strongest (Rita) and the 6th strongest Hurricane ever (Katina) Katrina was the most devastating, expensive hurricane ever and was the worst (in terms of deaths) since 1928. *
* The 1928 Lake Okeechobee Hurricane killed 2500 people.

Next year may be worse. I hope not because this was the worst year ever for Hurricanes and well i don't think people can stand it anymore.
I think Wilma will be a significant storm wherever it hits. Most likely a cat3/4.

Royal Knight
Hurricane Wilma is the most intense hurricane in history, and even though it is likely to lose strength before making landfall on Florida's southwest coast this weekend, it will still pack the potential to be a devastating storm.

Early this morning Wilma exploded into a Category 5 hurricane, and its pressure dropped to 882 mb, eclipsing the record of 888 mb set by Gilbert in 1988. Wilma's winds are near 165 mph, with hurricane force winds extending outward up to 50 miles from its very tight eye.

Wilma has set or tied a number of records. In addition to being the fiercest storm in history, its rapid intensification is also the fastest in the history of hurricane record keeping. Wilma is the 21st named storm of the Atlantic hurricane season, tying the record set in 1933. It is also the 12th hurricane of the year, tying the record for most hurricanes in a season set in 1969.

Royal Knight
Originally posted by manny321
This year is nuts and historic. We have had the strongest (Wilma) the 4th strongest (Rita) and the 6th strongest Hurricane ever (Katina) Katrina was the most devastating, expensive hurricane ever and was the worst (in terms of deaths) since 1928. *
* The 1928 Lake Okeechobee Hurricane killed 2500 people.

Next year may be worse. I hope not because this was the worst year ever for Hurricanes and well i don't think people can stand it anymore.
I think Wilma will be a significant storm wherever it hits. Most likely a cat3/4.

1 Unnamed - Galveston, TX 1900 4 8000+ deaths
2. Lake Okeechobee, Fla. 1928 4 1,836 deaths

manny321
Thats weird its a cat 4 with 155 mph winds but it has millibar pressure of 894 mbar!! That does not make any sense. That pressure by it self would mean a intense cat 5 hurricane. That would be the 3 rd most intense hurricane by it self.

Royal Knight
Weather is an phenomenon

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Royal Knight
Weather is an phenomenon

But your avatar is not....

Stand up...as your own person.

Not as a stereotype.

Royal Knight
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
But your avatar is not....

Stand up...as your own person.

Not as a stereotype.

That is supposed to be a stereotype

I know I should change it

but it is interesting...people comment on it a lot

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Royal Knight
That is supposed to be a stereotype

I know I should change it

but it is interesting...people comment on it a lot

you know I care about you...

but, not your need to feed these stereotypes...

Gay men exist as human beings...not as the co*k-seeking whores your avatar represents...

Constructive criticism...that, perhaps,...should have taken place via PM...

My apologies.

fini
uh, the speeds are down because the eyewall is replacing itself. But if that doesn't happen by tomorrow the pressure is gonna rise significantly.

Its a funy thing the way they run the categories, its only by wind speed, not the central pressure, when Katrina hit land she was a CAT 4, but her pressure was lower than some other CAT5, so thats one of the reasons they reclassified it.

Capt_Fantastic
It's my understanding that the intensity of this particular storm will dredge up the colder water from teh bottom of the ocean....there by reducing it's strength. Or, so Anderson Cooper's lackeys say....

With any luck, it will only be a CAT 2 by the time it makes landfall... (on US soil)

In any case, no hurricane is a good hurricane.

Everyone in the "projected path" had better hurry up and buy batteries and Milk.....because if you don't have them....you'll all die...horrible deaths!

manny321
well they say if it hits no land by Florida it would take a lot to bring it down to a cat 2 or 1.

Its replacing its eye and that means it going to strengthen again. Thats bad news.

botankus
The Key West Labor Day Hurricane of 1935, if I'm not mistaken, had the previous low pressure of the modern era.

debbiejo
well they say if it hits no land by Florida it would take a lot to bring it down to a cat 2 or 1.

Its replacing its eye and that means it going to strengthen again. Thats bad news.

Not not good... sad ....man just one after another going through...

soleran30
Sometimes even the cat 2 hurricanes cause more destruction then the larger ones but in any case I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best for the floridians and anyone else's path this crosses!

Spelljammer
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Gay men exist as human beings...not as the co*k-seeking whores your avatar represents...

Good thing every gay man doesn't act like you, or the stereotype would be "they like assholes so much they make themselves one.."

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Spelljammer
Good thing every gay man doesn't act like you, or the stereotype would be "they like assholes so much they make themselves one.."

If I liked assholes so much, I wouldn't hate you.

I'm glad we agree that I'm not the stereotypical gay man.

WindDancer
Please, no member bashing. The topic of this thread doesn't need both of you guys personal fights. Take it to the pms. Keep it on topic or take a hike.

fini
well said!!!!!!!!

botankus
Latest info:

http://image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/map_tropinfo24_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

manny321
It now has now gotten a new eye and it looks like its getting stronger. It was 145 mph during the day and it appears it will return to a intense cat 5. Really imo when a hurricane is 155 mph its a cat 5 hurricane. The hurricane center predicts for it go back to 165 mph in 24 hours. Thats rare for a hurricane to become so intense and die down a little and go back up again to almost its former self which has wind filed almost six times larger now.

The bad news is the stronger its gets the stronger it will be when it hits Florida. If it becomes anywhere as strong as before Florida will be hit harder. WHY?? Because it would take much more to weaken the hurricane. Hurricanes are complicated. Its just not how strong is it or where it is going.

The labour day hurricane is the most intense hurricane ever to make landfall anywhere in the world. It is third strongest including all other hurricanes. However there have been much stronger storms in the Pacific (hard to think). There was a typhoon tip in 1979 that had a pressure of 870 mbar and wind speeds of 190mph and it was gigantic in size over 1350 miles (2170 km wide)!! However it weakened to almost nothing when it hit Japan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_tip

The largest and smallest tropical systems ever. Amazing.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4e/Typhoonsizes.jpg

manjaro
when you see shit like this... the tsunami, hurricanes, earthquakes, Anna Nicole losing a buncha weight..... you know its time to turn your life over to Jesus cuz its the end of days man.......the end I tell ya!

manny321
Well we have had three cat 5 hurricanes. (Wilma, Rita and Katrina)
Another 2 were at 150 and 155 mph (Dennis and Emily)
Stan also killed many in central America.

what a messed up year.

A interesting fact is that Wilma may become the first cat 5 storm to hit land (mexico) since 1992 (hurricane andrew). Many storms have become cat 5 storms but no storm in 13 years have hit land at that strength.

Capt_Fantastic
Well we have had three cat 5 hurricanes. (Wilma, Rita and Katrina)
Another 2 were at 150 and 155 mph (Dennis and Emily)
Stan also killed many in central America.

what a messed up year.

Stan was never to be trusted...

Look at his name!...so deceptively innocent...

It must be the liberals!

Did you know that North Korea has developed a hurrican machine?

manny321
Well Cancun is severely impacted. It has gotten over 12 hours worth of 110 Mph winds and stronger. Thats just insane!!

Afro Cheese
It's really windy out and it's starting to pour.. shouldn't be too long till we lose power.

fini
all I can say is that the Old gal is flexing some muscle.

botankus
It's a downpour here from the outer bands...and I'm an hour from Virginia!

debbiejo
Wonder if there will be another one?????...anyone want to place a bet?

Yes or No......

Capt_Fantastic
I believe I heard there already was. I could be wrong. I was on the phone with my mother when she told me...so, I wasn't really listening.

crickey77
i can't believe they are already up to w... this has been such a crazy year for this stuff.

soleran30
I was in NC for hurricane Dianna and Gloria even saw Mount Saint Helens go up with the pictures but this is a serious craptastic year for the South

fini
uhhhhhh, They are up to Alpha . The finshed regular list and now for the first time they are in the greek alphabet.

SO next storm will be BETA.

Hmmm there is nothing of interest right now in the atlantic, except 4 tropical waves. But anything can happen. Tropical Storm Alpha was just a tropical wave when it passed Trinidad on Friday last, and 24 hrs later it was a storm.

So WAIT and see.

manny321
Last year, Hurricane Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne caused 42 billion in damages and over 3000 deaths (most in Haiti). Charley being the worst of them because it was the most intense of any of the storms to hit land.
This year. Hurricane Dennis, Emily, Katrina, Rita, Stan and Wilma have caused over 250 billion dollars in total damages (200 billion from Katrina) and over 2500-3000 people but over 1400 were in the States and also most of the damage. Katrina was the worst for being the most deadliest storm since 1928, the most expensive and destructive storm ever.

We could see more damaging hurricanes especially if one of those massive cat 3,4 storms hit a populated area.

I hope not but we could see a year just as bad. There is nothing stooping the ocean from getting warmer.

The worst case scenario for the states would be what happened to Cancun with Hurricane wilma. If that happens near a heavily populated area it could bas bad as Katrina.

Blue Dragon
Where is this? I'm normally watching the news in the morning but I haven't been school so I haven't heard. Is it a coincidence that it's windy here in England?

botankus
This one's for Manny: I thought I heard on the news this morning that this was the first year that four major hurricanes (Dennis, Katrina, Rita, Wilma) have hit the U.S. Is that true to your knowledge (BTW, Frances was a Cat 2 last year)?

manny321
Yes we have had four major hurricanes to hit this year. Dennis, Katrina, Rita and Wilma. Other significant storms were Emily,Ophelia and Stan. Never ever we have had so many major storms hit us.

Last year there was Charley, Ivan and Jeanne that hit as major hurricanes. However Frances was huge and was a strong cat 2 at landfall and it also stalled hitting Florida causing some major flooding.

Lets look at next year...
Alberto
Beryl
Chris
Debby
Ernesto
Florence
Gordon
Helene
Isaac
Joyce
Kirk
Leslie
Michael
Nadine
Oscar
Patty
Rafael
Sandy
Tony
Valerie
William

I say Issac, Rafael will be the big mean ones next year. Also Tony, I see many references to scarface with this one.

Then in 2007 there is Dean, Felix ( i have gut felling the is is going to be bad). Ingrid?? OLGA and there is Pablo and Rebekah. Interesting choice.

How about 2008 there is OMAR. That should scare some people. The best name i see is in 2010 with IGOR.
The names are getting interesting.

startchange
does anyone know how they name hurricanes? is there a system?

manny321
Well i Know for Hurricane Camille back in 1969. It hit the North gulf coast with 190-210 mph winds as a cat 5 killing over 250 people. (note the coast was empty compared to today)

That hurricanes name was chosen by a meteorologist. He said one of the names this year should be Camille. He got that name from his daughter. Also he was the one who found the storm brewing in the Gulf when it was about to hit.

Today i know names are chosen and are recycled every 5 years. Devastating Hurricanes have their name retired and replaced. You see there is no Andrew or Camille or Hugo or Gilbert on those lists.
Hurricane Charley, Ivan Frances and Jeanne will be retired. Dennis, Rita and Wilma may most likely be retired. Katrina for sure.
Those 8 names would never be reused.

Capt_Fantastic
Hurricane Tony? That name sucks. It's like your whole town being destroyed by the Sopranos.

manny321
News paper headline...
Tony Montana devastated the US coast with his organized crime family of hurricanes Alberto, Issac and Rafael.

I'm Tony Montana! You F(&* with me, you f*(*() with da best!
That movie was serious and was good. However that was the F-word used a little to many times for me. YEah its popular with High school students as well. That was voted as the best movie by my school. Followed close by Lord of the rings.

botankus
I guess if Alpha had turned into a damaging major Hurricane, that would be retired as well. That would be odd. Next time they would probably start with Beta.

debbiejo
OHHHHHHHHH...it all sounds greek to me... big grin

botankus
There is a Chris (my name) and a Debby next year. Coincidence? Sorry, the name of Debbie Jo didn't make it.

debbiejo
There is a Chris (my name) and a Debby next year. Coincidence? Sorry, the name of Debbie Jo didn't make it.

laughing out loud Yeah...I saw the Debby.....that's not how I spell my name....And it's only short for a longer name.....

Watch out for the Debby storm though...it might have pms. laughing out loud

botankus
laughing out loud

I will also predict that it will be bloated, too.

debbiejo
laughing out loud

I will also predict that it will be bloated, too.

And screamin and hollering and throwing things....will make just a mess....It kills things..... laughing out loud

People should RUN

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.