God or Science?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DrDoom101
Which side are you on?

Do you believe in God, or do you believe science is the answer to everything?

Long ago, the Egyptians thought that rainstorms and thunderstorms are signs that show their gods are angry. Science says the water cycle. Everything in this world has an explanation. Why is the sky blue? because god made it that way? no. THere's been answers to almost everything in this world. Also, if God really existed, then why would there be so much sin in this world? Couldnt God just get rid of the sins? Why did God create terrorists, serial killers, and other evil people? Science has explained almost everything for a long, long time

Victor Von Doom
They aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

lil bitchiness
We have religion forum - moving. arrow

xmarksthespot
I'm a secularhumanistempiricalagnostic so I tend to favour scientific method. VVD's right though, god and science aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, however I find that in organized religions stringent literal adherence to scriptures is often incongruous to scientifically derived knowledge.

Shakyamunison
Both: science is part of God.

debbiejo
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
I'm a secularhumanistempiricalagnostic so I tend to favour scientific method. VVD's right though, god and science aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, however I find that in organized religions stringent literal adherence to scriptures is often incongruous to scientifically derived knowledge.

You're a what??? blink (thought you were Spot)......

Anyway...I agree

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo

Anyway...I agree
I thought I was a German word. laughing

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Both: science is part of God.

I think that is what i agree with most

xmarksthespot

Anyway...I agree I am Spot...
secularhumanistempiricalagnostic
but I take many forms besides yellow and lovable...Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I thought I was a German word. laughing It's 12th Century Gaelic... really...shifty

debbiejo
I am Spot...
secularhumanistempiricalagnostic
but I take many forms besides yellow and lovable...It's 12th Century Gaelic... really...shifty

OH you're so clever...you must be the Almighty maker of creativeness using lots of brain power from 12th Century Gaelic.......And invisibility......YOU must own the magic cloak... big grin

xmarksthespot
Yep. I'd kick the crap out of Harry Potter. That scarfaced kid ain't got nothing on me and my 12th Century beet magic.

EsteemedLeader
God is fake, and is used to scare people.

Great Vengeance
Science is the only choice that exists so I guess Ill go with that.

The True Fear
god and science

DrDoom101
nah, if God really existed, why does he bring bad luck upon us?

soleran30
Originally posted by DrDoom101

A test of the human spirit.....anyway there is no text that says "God" will create for you a perfect world......just that you have choices......

severance
Surely if there is a God (and I reckon there is) then science is one of God's gifts to humankind

DrDoom101
i honestly cant decide. I mean if it wasnt for god, humans wouldnt have been created. The universe wouldnt even be created. in fact, there would be nothing. But if god existed, who created God? i just wish someday scientists find out

mr.smiley
I say neither and go with philosophy.

debbiejo
I feel it's some sort of perception, which science is experimenting with as we speak.

severance
i honestly cant decide. I mean if it wasnt for god, humans wouldnt have been created. The universe wouldnt even be created. in fact, there would be nothing. But if god existed, who created God? i just wish someday scientists find out

No-one created God

he just is

DrDoom101
how is he is?

Shakyamunison
how is he is?

Time is just a part of God. big grin

debbiejo
Originally posted by severance
No-one created God

he just is

I believe it's more holographic in nature, ever expanding infinite growing possibly.....each part, of a larger one and so on.....unexplainable.

Tengu Man
i beleive in god, and god didnt make evil people and serial killers and all that bull crap, no one is made evil. the choice is there but its not something your born with. dont blame the world's troubles on god. people and their choices made it that way, not god. that is a common misconception.

finti
why not?, according to your own belief god is the one that left man with the choice.
If this deity of yours is creator of everything evil is a part of that creation

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by finti
why not?, according to your own belief god is the one that left man with the choice.
If this deity of yours is creator of everything evil is a part of that creation

Evil is a part of God.

finti
indeed

Tengu Man
Originally posted by finti
If this deity of yours is creator of everything evil is a part of that creation if somone gave you a choice to jump off a bridge and you did it, is it his fault or yours?

TheQuincy
I do not think that there is a god. If there was, why hasn't he shown himself? Why do we suffer from so many things? Because he doesn't exist. God is fictional. God is a term so people will have faith. Science however is the real answer to everything. Some say "well if there's no god, how come we are here?" The answer is within science. Our molecular beings were created, just as everything else is created.

debbiejo
Originally posted by TheQuincy
The answer is within science. Our molecular beings were created, just as everything else is created.

Do you know all science fields to make this statement of a non intelligence?....Not saying the god of the bible, but.......other...Thought I do agree, there is a fictional god....But, there is something influencing and interacting with us....yep...IMO

TheQuincy
I doubt you have any right to speak considering one of your main points in stating that there is some sort of "god" is "IF THERE'S NO GOD...WHO POPS UP THE NEXT KLEENEX??"

It is SCIENTIFICALLY proven the evolution of man throughout time. No one has proof that there is in fact a "god"

Imperial_Samura
Religion was once the precursor of science. In early times mankind looked around at the world and tried to understand why things did what they did - the seasons, the stars and planets, storms, food, where people "came" from etc - but without the means to discover this they believed Gods did it (then there was the use of religion to keep the masses under control, "Gee Sumerian dirt farmer, your life is pretty sucky, and you will only live to be about 20, then you will probably die in terrible agony from famine, or disease or being bitten by a snake etc, but have faith, you will go on to a paradise, providing you do as we say and give us 90% of your crops"wink

These days though science can attribute for all of that, and offer more plausible theories. I'm not saying there is no God, but to be honest I have seen nothing that can be better explained by a God then science, I have seen no proof of a God, where as science is everywhere, and is supported by much more evidence the "God". But that's just me.

debbiejo
I doubt you have any right to speak considering one of your main points in stating that there is some sort of "god" is "IF THERE'S NO GOD...WHO POPS UP THE NEXT KLEENEX??"

laughing out loud

Well then, who pop's it up...Something pops it up.....Is it magic.....LOL

eek! wink

TheQuincy
Actually I believe it's science that pops it up.

Shakyamunison
Actually I believe it's science that pops it up.

I agree; it's the physical properties of the tissue rubbing against other tissues that cause the next one to pop up. This rubbing, is atoms pulling on the electrons of other atoms that are passing by.

laughing

I just don't believe I had to go that far, to settle this silly thing. laughing

debbiejo
I thought there was someone in there... roll eyes (sarcastic) wink

And Quantum physics theory of attraction and experiments having to do with that.....?

Shakyamunison
I thought there was someone in there... roll eyes (sarcastic) wink

And Quantum physics theory of attraction and experiments having to do with that.....?

What?

Science is part of God.

willRules
You force 2 children to behave. They both behave. You give 2 children the choice to behave or not. One doesn't behave, the other does. The child who chose to behave has learnt a greater lesson than any of them. this Child has not only learnt it is wrong not to behave but has also made it through his/her own decision.

Now replace that story with God teaching Humans not to sin. He didn't force us because we would be robots then...........

willRules

Forgive me if I am wrong but aren't you under the assumption there that it is God who brings it upon us and not ourselves just ignoring God's help??

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by willRules
You force 2 children to behave. They both behave. You give 2 children the choice to behave or not. One doesn't behave, the other does. The child who chose to behave has learnt a greater lesson than any of them. this Child has not only learnt it is wrong not to behave but has also made it through his/her own decision.

Now replace that story with god teaching Humans not to sin. He didn't force us because we would be robots then...........

Both children are part of the family, and rather they do right or wrong they are still part of the family.

willRules
A famous Christian song says "I was lost and dirty yet you found me, stained by sin yet you have cleasned me, can it be Im precious in your sight?"

We are always saying why is there sin and a loving God? Why do we suffer? We forget what God has done for us, Its just a matter of accepting it in my opinion..............

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by willRules
...We are always saying why is there sin and a loving God?...

I never ask this question.

willRules
ok but many do.........

debbiejo
Both children are part of the family, and rather they do right or wrong they are still part of the family.

That's kinda a good analogy...and coming from you yet... stick out tongue

tigerstalk
And how do you expect me to believe there is some fat, almighty, loving, and torturing, guy with his white hair blowing around, sitting somewhere up in the atmosphere, sending lightning bolts down to earth, creating humans, while he sits up there in a cloud sipping ambrosia and nectar...

Yeah, okay...

You have now gone officially insane...

sad no no expression What the f**k?

debbiejo
There isn't a voyeuristic god and Satan....We are part of the process and thus we are the ones...everything included...The more we will learn about some science fields, the more we will understand the properties at work.

Dirk Jade

. Also, if God really existed, then why would there be so much sin in this world? Couldnt God just get rid of the sins? Why did God create terrorists, serial killers, and other evil people? Science has explained almost everything for a long, long time

God Gave Man free will.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Dirk Jade
God Gave Man free will.

Please define free will.

debbiejo
Please define free will.

OK free will means.....Hey Mister "Will" I get it for "Free?" roll eyes (sarcastic)

Shakyamunison
OK free will means.....Hey Mister "Will" I get it for "Free?" roll eyes (sarcastic)

I never asked you. stick out tongue

Dirk Jade
Free Will means That no man can Absolutly controll you. You will always have the ability to think what you want say what you want do what you want under normal circumstances. if your legs are busted yea well you dont have the ability to walk. No man can stop you from trying though.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Dirk Jade
Free Will means That no man can Absolutly controll you. You will always have the ability to think what you want say what you want do what you want under normal circumstances. . Then married people have lost "free will." wink

Legend Of Chibi
Which side are you on?

Do you believe in God, or do you believe science is the answer to everything?

Long ago, the Egyptians thought that rainstorms and thunderstorms are signs that show their gods are angry. Science says the water cycle. Everything in this world has an explanation. Why is the sky blue? because god made it that way? no. THere's been answers to almost everything in this world. Also, if God really existed, then why would there be so much sin in this world? Couldnt God just get rid of the sins? Why did God create terrorists, serial killers, and other evil people? Science has explained almost everything for a long, long time

1. God, works with science, seeing as he made it. He doesn't always use the weather, he let's it go natural usually/science. The only science I don't believe in is science which has no proof/Evolution/Big Bang.

2. He has already tried to warn us, he isn't going to force us to believe, and he isn't going to force the sin out of us because it wouldn't be fair. He didn't create the murderers etc to be murderers, they made themselves those things.

3. Why is the sky blue? Because god made science make it blue. And the answers to the universe won't be found through negative thoughts
I'll tell you now.

God: You're special, important, and protected(most likely if you believe)
If the earth exploded someone would care, and would make sure he changes the past for us all.
No God: The earth can blow up and nobody would give a damn, not even the aliens which are supposedly more smarter than us.

SupezM'
This is a never ending argument, people who believe have reason to believe.

People who dont believe wish not to believe because there is no absolute proof. But if there was absolute proof it would contradict the very reason God made man in the first place.

If God showed himself and made himself apparent to everyone on earth then who wouldnt serve him? Creator of the universe Father to mankind who wants nothing but to love his creation, hard offer to pass up.

God created man because he wanted something that would have fellowship with him out of free will, not because we had too. God already had angels but angels have no choice but to serve God.

God wanted to create a being that loved him out of their own free will and had faith enough that he existed, and im not saying that God is completely void from humankind. He shows himself in different ways, ways that dont make sense to the carnal mind.

The Bible states that because of free will there will always be those who dont believe and doubt that God exists.

For those of us who read and believe God's word we know that there will be a day when life on this earth ceases and all that is left is Him. Many of us just want to bring as many as we can to meet him, those who refuse to believe.. In the end thats their choice.

Legend Of Chibi
Originally posted by SupezM'
This is a never ending argument, people who believe have reason to believe.

People who dont believe wish not to believe because there is no absolute proof. But if there was absolute proof it would contradict the very reason God made man in the first place.

If God showed himself and made himself apparent to everyone on earth then who wouldnt serve him? Creator of the universe Father to mankind who wants nothing but to love his creation, hard offer to pass up.

God created man because he wanted something that would have fellowship with him out of free will, not because we had too. God already had angels but angels have no choice but to serve God.

God wanted to create a being that loved him out of their own free will and had faith enough that he existed, and im not saying that God is completely void from humankind. He shows himself in different ways, ways that dont make sense to the carnal mind.

The Bible states that because of free will there will always be those who dont believe and doubt that God exists.

For those of us who read and believe God's word we know that there will be a day when life on this earth ceases and all that is left is Him. Many of us just want to bring as many as we can to meet him, those who refuse to believe.. In the end thats their choice.

Well said clapping

Imperial_Samura

Legend Of Chibi

SupezM'
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura

And the concept that God just wants to be loved is all well and good, but does it hold up? First there is the whole "I'm a jealous God and if you don't believe in me, or believe in something else, you'll go to HELL!!!" How is that respecting our free will? If God just wanted us to FREELY love him why would he try to scare us into belief and faithfulness?

God cannot allow sin into Heaven, simple as that. The very presence of God and sin has to leave. They are like Dark And Light, they cannot share the same space. Because of what Adam and Eve did in the garden of Eden man is cursed from the moment we are born into sin. We arnt held accountable the bible says until we are aware of the choices we make and the difference between right and wrong. Because God cannot allow sin into Heaven he sent his Son Jesus Christ to die for mankind so that we can be cleansed of sin.

In other words he loves his creation so much that he was willing to send his only son to die so that we could be with him when we pass from this earth.

He gives us the choice to choose this salvation, if we do not then we are left in sin and therefore cannot be with God.

God isnt trying to scare his creation into believing he is simply telling us that he wants to be with us but cannot if we are in Sin and because of Free Will it is our choice to redeem ourselves by choosing him over this earth.

debbiejo
Did you know that the same stories are told by predated religions of Christianity.....

debbiejo
There are many dozens of events in the gospels that are very similar, or identical, to incidents which appeared centuries before, in the stories of Pagan hero/saviors. These "god-men" were worshiped by the priesthood and laity of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern religions.

Modern-day conservative Christians generally discount the similarities between gospel and pagan stories. Some of the most radical of liberal Christians see Jesus as simply the Jewish equivalent of a Pagan savior, such as the Egyptian Horus, Hindu Krishna, or Greek Dionysus. They view Jesus' biography in the gospels as having been largely lifted from Paganism.

Mindship

That's why I make a distinction betweem religion and religionism, and science and scientism.

Scientism and religionism are ego-serving and self-contradicting.
Science and religion are truth-serving and self-transcending.

Jury
I chose both Science and God/Religion. I don't believe they contradict each other. Only close-minded people think they do.

debbiejo
Which Sciences?

Atlantis001
Some religions do contradict science, they are always fighting each other in a eternal struggle, the best example is Darwin VS Intelligent design . Who would win !? starwars

lil bitchiness
One thing you must understand about science.

While most people strut around discrediting any religious teaching, they fail to release that they themselves are in fact being thought the same way.

The people who tell you about evolution, about science are the people YOU believe have credibility - hence its why you believe what you do.
Religious people are the same - they believe teachings of people they find credible.

For most part if a scientist tells you that evolution took place, you dont really have any way of checking it. If a scientist tells you there are billions of stars in the sky, you have no way of checking. Same for religion, if a bishop says that there is a God, people believe it, as there is no way of them checking.

As previously mentioned, they are not necessary mutually exclusive.

debbiejo
"God for you is where you sweep away all the mysteries of the world, all the challenges to our intelligence. You simply turn your mind off and say God did it."
- Carl Sagan

redcaped
Let's follow shall we...god creates man, man creates robot...Now, what is better?

soujaboy09
It's sad you know, throughout my 14 years I have read, and believed the Bible stories, and now I sit, and wonder why some people dont. You say there is no proof, You say science explaines evrything, you say he's a fictional character kind of like Santa. it's a pitty what the world has become we deserve no mercy.

God has given us everything he has given us free will, he has given us life, he gave us a giud to life our life, he gave us his only son, yet we have the nerve to say he doesn't exist. It's like a teacher gives you all you need to know on a test, and says this is what you need to do to pass, but you havn'e seen the test. You have a choose to prepare, and get ready or do nothing, what choose will you make? It's basically how God has done for us, he has given us everything we need to get to him all we have to do is have faith, and believe but we choose not to even do that.

There's not much to say because no matter what you will have your beliefs.

I am furous right now, because we are bitting the hand that feeds us. Why would God show himself when he has already told us what we needed to get to him. He wants us to belive thats it simply believe, but we cant do that. He has given the world so many chances, and I can know understand why he wants to destroy it. The time will come wether you believe or not that God will judge us, and I know no the world isn't ready.

If science has the answer to evrything, then how come we dont no evrything. I hope science can help you when were standing befor God.

We blam all are troubles on God when he has layed evrything out for us we just choose not to find it. We ask God why there are serial killers, and the simple answer is because they can do what they please. Don't ask God why there are killers we need to ask ourselfs. We need to ask why we have let they world come to this, not God for he has chosen not to control our minds.

I think the questions that need to be asked our Does they world want to believe, and truely do you think the world deserves to continue.

Atlantis001
Sometimes science denies God, something that is wrong since science cannot prove the non-existence of God, so this is like scientific faith, something that I find very ironic. But you must understand that God is not the bible, actually I think that the bible does contradict more God than many aspects of science itself.

debbiejo
It's funny that the Bible goes against many sciences, but there are some sciences that go hand in hand with an intelligence that is bigger than the bible.

soujaboy09
People outcast the Bible, and think its just a book but truely is our ultimate guid through life. The Bible is Gods way of making the journet easier for us, but still we complain.

debbiejo
Easier? I don't see it that way. It turns people against people. It condemns the righteous to hell because they don't accept Jesus, and believers with little or no fruit to heaven...

Eis
Easier? I don't see it that way. It turns people against people. It condemns the righteous to hell because they don't accept Jesus, and believers with little or no fruit to heaven...
I agree. The Bible has a lot of crap in it, there are somethings that do make sense but crap mostly.

As for God or science, I'd have to say science. There might be a god but I don't believe any religions so far have got 'it' right.

Resa<3
God made EVERYTHING, including science. When he created the earth he wanted it to have explanations, maybe for you to only realize taht only a God so creative and powerful and awsome could think up such a creation. So it is God.

Eis
Originally posted by Resa&lt;3
God made EVERYTHING, including science. When he created the earth he wanted it to have explanations, maybe for you to only realize taht only a God so creative and powerful and awsome could think up such a creation. So it is God.
You are entitled to your opinion but I believe that's bullshit.

yerssot
Originally posted by soujaboy09
People outcast the Bible, and think its just a book but truely is our ultimate guid through life. The Bible is Gods way of making the journet easier for us, but still we complain.
because he is punishing us of what Eve did thousands of thousands years ago... we have the right to complain then, no?

debbiejo
^ not so in my opinion. We are not being punished...Why would something all powerful punish something insignificant as humans..We are not perfect, and a god would know this when it created us...According to the bible, god knows all. This is why the bible cannot be taken literally.

Though there are some sciences that prove something with intelligence.

Saraneth
God is science- science proves the existance of god!

Saraneth
What? why is eve blamed and not adam? as the story goes they had equal part to play in it didnt they? It this that whole "WOMEN ARE THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL" thing again?

debbiejo
The church plays it that way for sure...Women are the root of all evils...And yes according to the bible story, they should of shares the blame equally. She was tricked, but he knew full well what he was doing, but still I feel the story is more metaphorical, not literal.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.