Professional Sports, What a joke

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth_Erebus
It's a sad thing that professional sports is what it is in our society. Think it's about the fans? Think again. It's about two things, money and distraction. Sports figures are worshipped as gods in our society. Never mind they could care less about their fans. The MLB strike of the early 90s and the recent fiasco with the NHL should put things into perspective "It's all about us and our million dollar salaries, to hell with the fans."

It's the ultimate form of Coroprate Welfare, despite the huge amounts of money professional sports franchises rake in, their stadiums and arenas are built for them at taxpayer expense despite the possibility of a franchise being sold and moved to another locale.

Think it's all about honesty and integrity? Why is the average NFL player 90 lbs heavier now than in the 1970s? Why did Roger Maris's single season homerun record stand for nearly four decades then in just a few short years, not one, but three guys beat it, and pretty substantially too. Why does the current #1 Player in MLB, despite being over 40, keep setting new records and and playing better and better each year? Hmmm, I wonder. The powers that be could care less because of all the $$$ they are making so steroids will continue to dominate professional sports.

As for distraction, the Government and wall street moguls love this, when you go to breakrooms in jobs across America people aren't talking about Iraq, the current energy crisis(which is only beginning), the outsourcing of jobs to cheap third world labor markets because of free trade policies. They are talking about the score to some stupid game. Instead of challenging the powers that be on critical isues they are concerned that a team they bet on blew their four team parlay card. If the said breakroom has a TV it's likely to be permantly set on ESPN.

It's one thing to like competative sports, it's totally another for it to completely take over our society while we pay only passing attention to what's really important.

I mean, think about it, should some guy be paid $18 million a year just because he can throw a ball through a hoop or run down a field and catch a pass? It makes me sick to hear one of these guys say "I only make $14 million a season, I can't feed my family"

To hell with it, rant over.

forumcrew
well just reading the first couple sentences your wrong. It is about the fans otherwise they wouldnt get paid that much. If no one watched or went to games they couldnt afford to pay people those crazy amounts. SO while it may seem obsured to pay them so much, the owners all still make money because of the fans, which means they are pleasing the fans and making money because of it.

Darth_Erebus
Originally posted by forumcrew
well just reading the first couple sentences your wrong. It is about the fans otherwise they wouldnt get paid that much. If no one watched or went to games they couldnt afford to pay people those crazy amounts. SO while it may seem obsured to pay them so much, the owners all still make money because of the fans, which means they are pleasing the fans and making money because of it.

Like I said, people are stupid, they could care less about what's really important. Read my post again, I said the teams and players don't cater to the fans, and they sure as hell don't.

JacopeX
Well when I become a pro, im not gonna be like that. Hell i dont think all pros are ignorance to fans.

forumcrew
Originally posted by Darth_Erebus
Like I said, people are stupid, they could care less about what's really important. Read my post again, I said the teams and players don't cater to the fans, and they sure as hell don't.

thats just ignorant... thats saying millions of people all have wrong opinions. obviously millions of fans needs are catered to and they are happy with the product they get.

MovieMan22
It's a sad thing that professional sports is what it is in our society. Think it's about the fans? Think again. It's about two things, money and distraction. Sports figures are worshipped as gods in our society. Never mind they could care less about their fans. The MLB strike of the early 90s and the recent fiasco with the NHL should put things into perspective "It's all about us and our million dollar salaries, to hell with the fans."

It's the ultimate form of Coroprate Welfare, despite the huge amounts of money professional sports franchises rake in, their stadiums and arenas are built for them at taxpayer expense despite the possibility of a franchise being sold and moved to another locale.

Think it's all about honesty and integrity? Why is the average NFL player 90 lbs heavier now than in the 1970s? Why did Roger Maris's single season homerun record stand for nearly four decades then in just a few short years, not one, but three guys beat it, and pretty substantially too. Why does the current #1 Player in MLB, despite being over 40, keep setting new records and and playing better and better each year? Hmmm, I wonder. The powers that be could care less because of all the $$$ they are making so steroids will continue to dominate professional sports.

As for distraction, the Government and wall street moguls love this, when you go to breakrooms in jobs across America people aren't talking about Iraq, the current energy crisis(which is only beginning), the outsourcing of jobs to cheap third world labor markets because of free trade policies. They are talking about the score to some stupid game. Instead of challenging the powers that be on critical isues they are concerned that a team they bet on blew their four team parlay card. If the said breakroom has a TV it's likely to be permantly set on ESPN.

It's one thing to like competative sports, it's totally another for it to completely take over our society while we pay only passing attention to what's really important.

I mean, think about it, should some guy be paid $18 million a year just because he can throw a ball through a hoop or run down a field and catch a pass? It makes me sick to hear one of these guys say "I only make $14 million a season, I can't feed my family"

To hell with it, rant over.

You're full of crap.

Darth_Erebus
Originally posted by MovieMan22
You're full of crap.

Really? Am I? How so? How about some facts to dispute what I said.

Barker
Professional Sports, What a joke
I guess Boxing is the Punch Line Right? no expression

1,000th Post eek!

forumcrew
Really? Am I? How so? How about some facts to dispute what I said.

read both my posts, then apply logic and common sense

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.