Is anyone else worried about how they're going to handle the Juggernaut in X3?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mr.smiley
I know we realy don't know anything about him yet,but does anyone else get the feeling that they're going to tone his power down too much and make him a lame character?

snoopdogg
I read in a Wizard Magazine and Avi Arad said that Juggernaut would be true to his character or something on those lines. So it should be cool.

I heard that the new director is a fan of Colossus and said in a interview with Wizard that he is glad to use him more in the movie.

Maybe we will see a brawl..................

bahhh_yeti
Juggernaut is not to be underrated in the film. Vinny Jones who is to play him is an expert at playn the powerhungry madman with a vendetta. so he should be quite perceptive of Juggernaut's nature. A great actor will always be a better choice for an unstoppable force of nature than some thick skulled WWE wrestler in a helmet yelling ARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!! potatoes!

bahhh_yeti
i bet ya itll be a Beast vs Juggernaut showdown.

Disappear
considering they were planning on making juggernaut british, though xavier sr. and marko sr. worked together in NEW MEXICO, and neither were british in the least, i'm pretty confident in saying they'll **** juggernaut up. granted, there's not much to work with, but they'll still manage to make him just as shitty as all the other characters have been in this franchise.

hotsauce6548
I trust them to portray Juggernaut truely.

bahhh_yeti
ummm Vinnie Jones IS british so there is the possibility Juggernaut will be too. Just because they worked in New Mexico doesnt eliminate them being British seeing how it was early 20th century and most nuclear scientists were from numerous places working in foreign lands.

LeDiableBlanc90
They're not going to handle him. They're going to just about touch on him just like all the other characters and then go, "Hey! Let's stick some more Wolverine in there! The kids like that don't they!?"

Lord Magnus
I have faith in their version of thejuggernaut, but there can't really be a "showdown" with him and one other person cause he's way more powerful than any one of the x-men. Is he still reformed in the comics, by the way?

Wickerman
I'll bet you $4.67 and half a cheese sandwich Wolverine is a key player in defeating him. roll eyes (sarcastic)

~wickerman~

bahhh_yeti
i bet Juggernaut will emerge from the rubble of Stryker's lab

Disappear
yeti, if you don't have a strong canon argument, how can you try defending a point like "juggernaut might be british?" he's not. never was, never will be. the only reason he'll be british in the movie is because of how patrick stewart speaks, because this vinnie guy's only good at acting like a soccer hooligan, and because of cain's relation to xavier.

i've yet to hear a good reason for altering one of the x-men's oldest foes' history to fit the actor, as opposed to the other way around. you know, the way that's used in most good movies...

bahhh_yeti
If "Bullseye: Greatest Hits" is to be believed, Bullseye grew up in The Bronx, however he was portrayed as being Irish and his initial appearance was changed for Colin Farrell's preference for the Daredevil movie. Now it may not be "a good reason", but it happens alot more than it actually should.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Wickerman
I'll bet you $4.67 and half a cheese sandwich Wolverine is a key player in defeating him. roll eyes (sarcastic)

~wickerman~ Juggernaut knocks out every X-Man in an epic battle, he's victorious, then suddenly Wolverine appears out of nowhere and downs him with a stab.

I'm wondering how they'll explain Juggs powers without bringing in the magic of the MU.

mr.smiley
I'm afraid he's just going to be too much like a backround character.Juggernaut should be knocking down buildings in this movie instead of walls.I'm just afraid they're going to dumb down his power too much.

bahhh_yeti
The first movie got Rogue outta the way and ended with Wolverine, The second movie got Wolverine outta the way and ended with Phoenix, The third movie will probably get Phoenix outta the way and end with Juggernaut.

Disappear
and colin farrell made a pretty low-class bullseye. where in the rationale you presented does my prediction that juggernaut will, in fact, be shitty become contradicted or out of line?

bahhh_yeti
What im tryna say is that the actor portraying Juggernaut wont make him shitty, it'll be how he is written into the movie, i apologise if it wasnt made clear. However in one way or another, most characters of comics or games are tampered with by writers/directors and not the actors. I do believe that Juggernaut wont be toned down in terms of power/nature but i think his role will be minimal in X-3 so he has a bigger part in X-4.

Jimmy Buggs
that dudes a great actor. and a good actor can change the way they speak. Wolvie wont take down juggs. They wont do that. He may rip off the helmet with claws. But thats about it. He will attack the mansion. Look for it as an opeaner.

Disappear
technically, the crimson bands of cyttorak are as indestructible as wolverine's claws, so there's no plausible way for wolverine to mortally wound juggernaut. but, if the movie's going to make him into a discount, non-mystic version of the juggernaut, who knows? and i wasn't discrediting vinnie jones in my assumption that the movieverse's juggernaut will blow like none other, though i dislike him, i was simply stating that the movies have messed up all the rest of the characters, and plans for juggernaut don't make him a clear exception.

Jimmy Buggs
the start of the movie could be marko finding the gem. like an indy type movie , the explain the magic back story in 15 min. then do the step brother thing later on

apollocreed71
Well, the special effects would have to be similar to the hulk, to make him his actual size. Hey, paint Batista from WWE silver, and you got Colossus. Phoenix Saga, it too difficult to put on the big screen, we will miss out on all the good charcters like Gladiator, Juggernaut, etc.....Juggernaut is a movie by himself. but hey it would be cool to see him get tossed by gladiator. Banshee...its just too many mutants in that saga...it probably will be a quick cameo like in part 2. They need to just bring out Apocalypse, before the franchise gets old.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Jimmy Buggs
the start of the movie could be marko finding the gem. like an indy type movie , the explain the magic back story in 15 min. then do the step brother thing later on Imo highly highly unlikely, I'd venture it's on the border between the realms of improbability and impossibility. He'll probably just be a mutant for simplicity's sake. I wouldn't mind if they stole my idea and made him some kind of genetically enhanced weapon - as long as they keep him incredibly destructive.

Britrogue
My guess is they won't harp on about Cytorrak. They'll probably claim he was on steroids or something! LOL

bahhh_yeti
Most likely Juggernaut wouldve escaped from the lockdown Xavier put him in or maybe even from the clutches of stryker after the destruction of his lab...

Sabretooth
Originally posted by Disappear
yeti, if you don't have a strong canon argument, how can you try defending a point like "juggernaut might be british?" he's not. never was, never will be. the only reason he'll be british in the movie is because of how patrick stewart speaks, because this vinnie guy's only good at acting like a soccer hooligan, and because of cain's relation to xavier.

Why do the movie writers have to stick to comic continuity for character development? Mystique doesn't have scales in the comic, but it worked in the movie. Pyro was never a student of Xavier's, but it worked in the movie. Anybody remember reading anything about Stryker being connected with the Weapon X program in the comics? Didn't think so.

THIS IS NOT THE DAMN COMICS! Deal with it. They WILL alter the characters to make them more acceptible and believable the the general audience. So far it's worked pretty well. Good enough to put people's asses in seats at least. I look forward to Juggernaut. I hope they do alter his history and make him a mutant because the whole Cytorrak thing is pretty friggin stupid if you ask me.

Originally posted by Disappear
i've yet to hear a good reason for altering one of the x-men's oldest foes' history to fit the actor, as opposed to the other way around. you know, the way that's used in most good movies...

Hmmmm... Good reason... okay:
Juggernaut = Thug with superpowers
Vinnie Jones = Specializes in playing thugs

Works for me, but what the hell do I know? I thought Jackman would be a sorry Wolverine and he proved me wrong.

Nathaniel Grey
Originally posted by Sabretooth
Why do the movie writers have to stick to comic continuity for character development? Mystique doesn't have scales in the comic, but it worked in the movie. Pyro was never a student of Xavier's, but it worked in the movie. Anybody remember reading anything about Stryker being connected with the Weapon X program in the comics? Didn't think so.

Because the movie is supposed to be based on the comic not the other way around. People who've read the comics for years, I would think, want to see their favorite heroes and heroines portrayed in a manner that brings about the same feelings they got from the comics. That includes the flashy costumes the UNBELIEVEABLE manner in which Wolverine's claws protrude from the top of his hands and not between his fingers, etc. Not something " believeable ". If people wanted to see something believeable they'd watch a documentary on -- Penguins. ( Hint, hint. ) So far the X-Men movie has taken the mythos of what we all grew up with and made it a fashion statement. Last time I checked the comics -- Wolverine was never handsome nor 6 ft tall.

That's true. It's not the comics. But the movies should represent them in a manner loyal to the fans. I noticed that no one really dared mess with Spider-Man's costume to make it more " believeable ". I'm sure had Spider-Man come out with a leather suit ( matrix style ) been a Boricua named Pedro Perez and was 6 ft3 people would have been outragedThat's how many feel about the X-Men movies and their lack of loyalty to what many people know of the comics. I mean the whole Red, Black and Blue Spider-Suit...is pretty friggin stupid if you ask me. ( Just light hearted sarcasm. No offense meant. )

In all truth though I do get what you're saying. They can't exactly stick DIRECTLY to the comics because there's so much history there. But Sin City and Hellboy proved that it can atleast be done to a degree where it is more loyal to the fans than what they've been doing. I mean of all the Marvel movies so far not ONE was decent, aside from Spider-Man. GO PEDRO PEREZ!

Sabretooth
Originally posted by Nathaniel Grey
Because the movie is supposed to be based on the comic not the other way around. People who've read the comics for years, I would think, want to see their favorite heroes and heroines portrayed in a manner that brings about the same feelings they got from the comics. That includes the flashy costumes the UNBELIEVEABLE manner in which Wolverine's claws protrude from the top of his hands and not between his fingers, etc. Not something " believeable ". If people wanted to see something believeable they'd watch a documentary on -- Penguins. ( Hint, hint. ) So far the X-Men movie has taken the mythos of what we all grew up with and made it a fashion statement. Last time I checked the comics -- Wolverine was never handsome nor 6 ft tall.

That's true. It's not the comics. But the movies should represent them in a manner loyal to the fans. I noticed that no one really dared mess with Spider-Man's costume to make it more " believeable ". I'm sure had Spider-Man come out with a leather suit ( matrix style ) been a Boricua named Pedro Perez and was 6 ft3 people would have been outragedThat's how many feel about the X-Men movies and their lack of loyalty to what many people know of the comics. I mean the whole Red, Black and Blue Spider-Suit...is pretty friggin stupid if you ask me. ( Just light hearted sarcasm. No offense meant. )

In all truth though I do get what you're saying. They can't exactly stick DIRECTLY to the comics because there's so much history there. But Sin City and Hellboy proved that it can atleast be done to a degree where it is more loyal to the fans than what they've been doing. I mean of all the Marvel movies so far not ONE was decent, aside from Spider-Man. GO PEDRO PEREZ!

Spider-man's costume is iconic. That's why they only slightly altered it. Maybe you should head over to the Superman forum if you want to see what happens when an iconic costume is altered for a movie. I noticed they DID alter Spider-Man's powers a bit and have Peter generate the webs from within himself. Good thing too, because a mere high-school student creating the formula for a super-strong web fluid and developing a ingenious way of projecting it is pretty friggin stupid if you ask me.

I read the X-Men movie comic adaptation which was basically the same story and the characters were more true to their comic counterparts. Know what? It sucked. The dialogue in the comic would have translated so poorly to the big screen.

Want examples? Here's one:

Cyclops: "Professor--Watch Out! This man attacked Jean in the Infirmary and we--"
Wolverine: "Keep yer shirt on, Four eyes. Me an' the Prof here's just havin' us a quiet conversation. All that's missin' from this happy scene's the cup o' tea."

Another?:

Wolverine: "GOTCHA! I don't know who you are, bub-- But inpersonatin' me is bad for yer health!"
Cyclops: "What Th--?! TWO Logans?!"
Wolverine: "Hold tight folks! I'll be right out after I give my doppelganger a good beatin'!

...GOD my brain hurts.

I think there was enough bad lines about toads and lightning and such without needing the characters to be closer to their comic counterparts. Cane you imagine Jackman's Wolverine saying the crap from above?
Here is a fact: Marvel hasn't been true to their fans since the nineties when they were coming up with ridiculous gimmicks like several different covers for number ones and polybagging random cards with comics and holofoil covers just to milk their fan base for more money. Marvel does not make movies fore the fans. They already know the fans will cough up the money to see the movies. Marvel is trying get money from people who think comics are for geeks or little kids, or trying to rekindle memories in people like me, who gave up on reading comics(though I'm getting back in to it now because of the damn X-Men movies! Curse you Marvel!). If they stayed true to the comics like Hellboy and Sin City did(Both great movies by the way), only comic fans would have gone to see the movies, which is what happened with Hellboy and Sin City. Both did well, but came nowhere close to X-Men money.

The day they make X-Men with time traveling mutants trying to stop a horrible future from happening and aliens and demons and magic gems will be the day an X-Men movie won't generate enough money to rationalize spending any more money to create another sequel.

As for the comic mythos and turning it in to a fashion statement, With all the attractive characters like the Asian Psylocke, the new Marrow, White Queen, Mystique, Gambit, The new Ice Man, etc, etc.... Marvel turned the X-Men comics into a fashion statement back in the nineties and that's pretty much all they still are.

Nathaniel Grey
And you're suggesting that the X-Men aren't iconic in any fashion? Btw, the " Anti-Gambit " tag. I love it. We ought to start a club.

wolverine8888
hey there gunna have to tone juggy down due to the fact every one eles is toned down. wolverine is one guy who is hella toned down.

Sabretooth
When I use the term "iconic" it's to describe a level of recognition that almost everybody will associate with whatever it is that said icon is representing.

Walt Disney? Micky Mouse.
Nintindo? Mario.
Pokemon? Pikachu.
D.C. Comics? Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.
Marvel? Spider-Man, The Hulk and Captain America. Maybe Thor.

Of all the X-Men, Wolverine or maybe Gambit might come close due to their popularity or Cyclops because of his constant association with the team. However, I don't picture any of them when I close my eyes and say the words "Marvel comics" even though Wolverine is (or was at least) my favorite hero. Most of the X-Men might have some recognizable iconic clout, but ain't a one of them a pikachu.

Just to keep it on topic, I hope they keep Juggernaut's colors predominately brown, as I hate the black and gold.

Nathaniel Grey
Maybe 10 years ago I would have agreed with you. But in the last decade the bread and butter of the Marvel Universe has become anything with an X label on it. I believe Wolverine, above all, has propelled the X-Men to an iconic status. When people think Marvel these days they think " X-Men ". Try it. I've asked people who know NOTHING about comics and they answer the same. Mostly due to the wretched X-Men movies no doubt.

I'm just hoping Juggernaut won't be some sort of Football ( of the European variety ) Hooligan.

spencerspider
I have not been in here much so who are the bad guys in X-Men 3? Juggernaut is obviously one and I really hope they don't **** his character up.

Sabretooth
I disagree that the X-Men have reached the status of recognition that Spider-Man and The Hulk enjoy, but I'll bend a little and put Wolverine up there. I would challenge anybody to take a survey with pictures of The Hulk and any X-Men but Wolverine, say... Storm up to random people and see which of the two is more recognizable. I don't think the JLA or Avengers should be put on that level even though they have several iconic characters on their rouster, so I can't say the X-Men as a whole has reached that status because they need Wolverine to help them sell, and he does not need them. That is why he is the primary character in the movies and is getting a movie and cartoon of his own soon.

So...

Wolverine = Mickey
The rest of the X-Men = Donald and Goofy

Um, I don't think Vinnie Jones is capable of playing anything but a football hooligan, but I bet it will still work just fine. It's just like Matthew Vaughn said during his short stint as the X3 director:

"What's interesting about Juggernaut is that he's the brother of Professor X, and that's why I thought it would be interesting having an English thug opposite Patrick Stewart."

It can't be any worse than Halle Berry as Storm.

Nathaniel Grey
Step-Brother. You see? I'm worried already. And just for the record, Patrict Stewart was the only one who actually filled the bill properly as his character, sans the "accent ".

spencerspider
who are the confirmed bad guys pls tell me?

Sabretooth
Brother... Stepbrother... someone close to Xavier early in his lifetime.

It makes more sense to me to have someone from a British Xavier's past to be British as well. Especially if they spent a good number of years with Xavier as a family member. I guess Xavier could have grown up in the States and then moved the England for college or something along that line where he picked up the accent and then moved back, but it would be much easier to simply make him British. Magneto was supposed to be a German Jew, but he had an British accent. I didn't see anybody bitching about that, only how he Sir Ian didn't fit the physical description of Magneto. It's a long shot, but maybe Vinnie will pull a Hugh Jackman and not talk with an accent. Speaking of Jackman, I firmly have to disagree with you about your statement that Patrick Stewart was the only character who properly filled the bill. I personally put Jackman up there with Christopher Reeve, Christian Bale and the entire cast of Sin City as the best comic to movie translations of all time. I have yet to meet anybody who thought Jackman was a poor Wolverine, despite his being two feet too tall. I will agree with you on the performance of Patrick Stewart as Xavier though.

p.s. Spencer-- There is several threads all about X3 and most include information and discussion about the villains. This thread is about Juggernaut. I'm too lazy to give information to someone who is too lazy to click on a couple of links and scroll through a few pages. Maybe someone on one of the X3 threads isn't.

spencerspider
o thanks alot you could just say yes and add the villains or no and state the other villains

Nathaniel Grey
No offense to Hugh Jackman, while he was an exceptional actor he was absolutely horrible as Logan. Firstly, Wolverine was never as ruggedly handsome as Jackman. ( Yes, I'm secure enough with my manhood to admit such. ) If you've read ANY of Wolverine's comics you know him to admit such on various occasions. I mean if you look at the early issues of Wolverine. ( Wolverine vol.1 #1-20 ) He looks NOTHING like Hugh Jackman's pretty boy personification of the character. They picked Jackman to add sex appeal to a character that didn't base his magnetism off of looks. He merely used his " animal " attraction to get women. As often stated by women like Tiger Tyger. Second; Wolverine was never six feet tall! I mean Hugh Jackman can't exactly be described as a RUNT being well ABOVE average height, now can he?

As previously stated, Jackman was a decent enough Wolverine but he didn't fit the role. He got the job to add sex appeal to the character so females would like him more and so the movie would do well. I'd have rather had a young Fred Ward, via Tremors/Remo Williams play Logan. He was more of the rustic mid thirties canuck-like lumberjack that could portray Logan properly.

Sabretooth
OOOOOOOOOH! I see. You have mistaken the terrible job Jackman did as Van Helsing with the great job he did as Wolverine. No sweat, sometimes I get my movies crossed too.

Seriously though, I doubt there is anything I can say on Jackman's behalf to change your mind that his performance didn't say for itself. I will say I was very wary when I heard who would be playing Wolverine (a rather special character to me), mostly because of his height. All my doubts were erased the minute I saw him smoking that cigar in the bar with Rogue. I grabbed Mrs. Sabretooth's arm and said "THAT is Wolverine."

With the exception of the over-choreographed fight scenes and the height thing, he was perfect for the part in my opinion. Not an easy thing to do, since I'm very protective over what I think my favorite characters should be like (watch in a few months as a bash Brandon Routh endlessly). Later on, when I found out all the research he put in to learn about Wolverine and the things he would do to get in character. I gained even more respect for the job Jackman did. It may just be personal bias on my part, because I am one of the few who liked the job Tyler Mane did as Sabretooth as well. I still say it wasn't his fault Singer made him more bestial and gave him very few lines. I do understand why Singer did it though. He really didn't have much time to convey how dangerous Sabretooth was to a bunch of people new to the character, so he just took the purely visual route. A picture speaks a thousand words right? Ah, who am I kidding? I hate you Singer.

Too bad we disagree about the Jackman/Wolverine thing here. Hopefully we'll get along better over Juggernaut and maybe someday Cable.

On-topic throw in:
As excited as I was over Juggernaut being a movie character and a possible throw-down with Colossus, I got even more hyped when I wound out Vinnie would be wearing a suit as opposed to CG. I guess I'll always be a fan of old fashioned special effects.

Nathaniel Grey
On that we can agree. When Juggernaut appears I'd rather see him in costume rather than a CGI muppet. As for Nathan, I hope they NEVER EVER EVER! EVER! Put him on film unless he's animated. I'd rather not suffer through it.

mr.smiley
Well the first Juggernaut pics have been released and I must say I have never been this dissapointed in an X movie character.While I can't say anything about Vinnie Jones' potrayal of the character,the outfit is just the worst.The helmet looks like a rip off of Magneto's.Hell he pretty much looks like a reject from the Masters Of The Universe Movie.Well I hope everyone gives their input on the costume because i'm very interested to hear from you guys.

apoc001
I took one glimpse at Juggernaut's costume and the first thing I thought was "Oh no! He's gone kinky!" I can't see this working out in the movie.

hotsauce6548
Originally posted by apoc001
I took one glimpse at Juggernaut's costume and the first thing I thought was "Oh no! He's gone kinky!" I can't see this working out in the movie.

laughing

He looks like a cave man...

Sabretooth
Well, I will say Juggernaut doesn't look how I was expecting him to. At first I didn't like the design, but now it's growing on me. I'm guessing His helmet looks similar to Magneto's because Magneto designed it to keep Professor X out of Juggernaut's head. My non-comic-reader wife said Juggernaut doesn't look so bad, but she absolutely HATES his design in the comics because she said his helmet looks like a... ehem... penis...

So after disagreeing with Mrs. Sabretooth because she's stupid, I took a good look at Juggernaut and decided she was probably right about the comic's helmet not translating well to real life. I fired up the photoshop and altered the helmet to better reflect the comics, and it was pretty bad, so I guess he could have looked worse. However, there are a few elements I'm having trouble warming up to about the overall design:

The first thing is the straps on the torso. My guess is they were going for a "gladiatoresque" (is that even a real word?) look for Juggy. That's what I'm reminded of at least.

The next thing is the forearms. They remind me of Popeye's. They should have made the shoulders and upper arms a bit bigger so the forearms didn't look so out of scale with the rest of him.

The last thing is that GYNORMOUS moose-knuckel Mr. Marko is sporting. Must be why She-Hulk decided to try him out...

Altogether I give Juggernaut's design a 5 out of 10. It could have been worse. I remember seeing him on Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends when they had Juggernaut wearing what looked like brown granny-panties instead of pants.

It could have been worse.

soujaboy09
I just want to see a Colossus vs Juggernaut, that would be nice.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.