Horror movies arent great anymore

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

b-dan
Do anyof you think that the Horror movies coming out latly arent that great and entertaing. Like they cant think of any good ideas so they go and reamek a movie. And they continusly make sequils to bad horror movies (ring 2, and soon to be Grudge2) why cant hallywood come up with any good ideas the last decen horro movie made was Saw. They just cant think of anything so now they are aslo making horror veido games into movies. Does anyone feal my pain the the horror movie indestry has lost it touch

Impediment
People change just like the times. People aren't scared as easily anymore, and people are becoming less and less scared of horror movies. I agree that Hollywood is on a one way road to Shitsville by doing nothing more than constantly remaking old horror flicks (TCM, Amityville, The Fog) and even Americanizing foreign horror (Ringu, Ju-On). I wish the masters like Clive Barker or Richard Matheson would write a bad ass script that would lift the veil of shame that is slowly becoming modern horror. And I think that Saw, IMO, was one of the most overrated films, not to mention extrtemely cheesy. The best 2005 horror, once again IMO, was The Devil's Rejects and/or High Tension (thanx to a suggestion by Cinemaddiction). I don't have any plans to watch the Doom movie, either. I'll wait for DVD then I'll rent it.

b-dan
is devil rejects good i never got to see it in theaters that bumed me out

Cinemaddiction
"The Devils Rejects" and "High Tension", IMO of course, were tops this year. Mainstream wise, I really, really, really liked "The Amityville Horror". We get a lot of good feedback on it at work when we (clerks) have suggested it to others.

Seems like we'll be forced to watch the low budget horror movies that go straight to DVD, although most of them suck, just because we're so desperate that we may actually get lucky with one of 'em.

b-dan
ya amityvill was one of the few decent horror movies in theaters last year

Blue_Butterfly
Yeah I think IMO horror movies just arent scary anymore. They are sadly running out of ideas and remaking classic horror movies. Sad really to be honest

b-dan
ya hence why i made this thread so we can talk about this issue

BaronOBeefDip
Eh, that's Hollywood for ya. These days, what a lot of people want is just a lot of special effects and whatnot.

Random guy who watches movies today: "Plot. We don't need no stinkin' plot! We just want lots of blood and special effects!"

I have nothing against gore and special effects in horror films. But, if the plot sucks...it just doesn't work as well. Man, I wish I was better at putting my thoughts into words. Then, it might be easier to explain what I mean.

jayy
Devil's Rejects SUCCKKKEEEDDD!!!

eek!

Impediment
Thank you, jayy, for you oh-so-indepth review of The Devil's Rejects. Mind telling us why you think it "SUCCKKKEEEDDD"??

b-dan
all of his revues are just they sucked and he does not put any evidence why it sucked maby cause hes afraid cause lots of people liked it but i dont want him runing htis thread and have som pointelss argument on why devils rejects did and did not suck

jayy
Originally posted by Impediment
Thank you, jayy, for you oh-so-indepth review of The Devil's Rejects. Mind telling us why you think it "SUCCKKKEEEDDD"??

LOL. Once again you can count very well. Now go do your math homework.

REASONS WHY THE DEVIL'S REJECTS SUCKED:

1. The acting was PITIFUL at best (especially Sherri Moon!).

2. The story line was so F@@king stupid.

3. All the scenes were jumpy and scatterbrained.

4. They didn't show enough of Tiny.

5. Mother Firefly was just plain f@@king stupid in this one.

6. How can you top Dr. Satan?

7. There's just no way for it to top House Of 1000 Corpses!

End of story.

I think you are with the minority on liking this movie.

http://www.impawards.com/2003/posters/house_of_a_thousand_corpses_ver2.jpg

^NOW THIS MOVIE F@@KING ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^

wink

b-dan
i think Tiny was the worst caracter i liked Oatis the one who did all the killing and bad stuff in house of 100 corpses

jayy
Originally posted by b-dan
i think Tiny was the worst caracter i liked Oatis the one who did all the killing and bad stuff in house of 100 corpses

Naa, Tiny was just different. He gave the movie a little more luster and made you question what the heck he was.

As for Otis, he was pretty cool. I'll agree with you on that one. All the characters were right on in House Of 1000 Corpses.

wink

Impediment
I'm just gonna stop wasting my time.

jayy
Originally posted by Impediment
I'm just gonna stop wasting my time with this kid.

Good. Go bother someone else. laughing

EsteemedLeader
I wouldn't say they aren't good, but they are past their prime.

BaronOBeefDip
Maybe we're just in a slump when it comes to horror films. Hopefully, we'll be able to craw out of such a hell-hole.

b-dan
ya lets just hope thos guys come up with some new inovated ideas did they waste them all in the 80s and 70s

Impediment
I just wish someone would come up with an original idea for once, instead of ripping off someone else's story and twisting and bastardizing the original. Not to mention get rid of these "scare tactics" that consists of a dead silence.........followed by a pause....then a loud noise that merely makes everyone jump. Wooo. Big scare, huh?

BaronOBeefDip
Yeah, I know what you mean. A lot of horror films consist of this plot these days-
*Loud noise/jump scare*
*Character gets scared only to realize that it was something silly like a cat, dog, etc...*
*Monster/killer appears. Insert another jump scare here*
*Monster/killer kills character. Insert screaming and/or lots of blood and guts*
*Repeat for the next few hours*
This doesn't really help keep me entertained due to my very sort attention span.

deathbycorn
Go on a search and look for all the horror movies you missed seeing and track them down and watch them.

Better then sitting through 1.5 hours of 'The Village' type crap.

b-dan
ya i like scares that like get in my skin i dunno hard to explain

b-dan
rented land of the dead dont know why tunred it off 20 minutes into the movie thats more proof that horror movies suck

kmcdude
The only new horror movies I have really liked are ''wrong turn'' and ''creep'''

b-dan
ya wrong turn was pritty decent

jOHN_Anderton
"The Ring" was quite scary. "The Others" was very good too. There's a couple but imo too many horror and scifi movies rely too heavily on special effects which invariably wreck them and make you feel like you're watching a cartoon. So, I agree, most horror movies aren't worth your time.

kmcdude
Originally posted by jOHN_Anderton
"The Ring" was quite scary. "The Others" was very good too. There's a couple but imo too many horror and scifi movies rely too heavily on special effects which invariably wreck them and make you feel like you're watching a cartoon. So, I agree, most horror movies aren't worth your time.

The ring was okay but nothing ground breaking by any means.......

jOHN_Anderton
So... you agree then. Quite scary.

Let me ask you kmcdude: What one does "break new groud" as you say and what do you mean by that expression anyways? Do you mean like "sets a new standard" or "raises the bar"? I geuss "Blair Witch" could be considered that way when it first came out because of the way it was so different. Any other's since then you think broke new ground or set a new standard? Of course "The Exorcist" and "The SHining" from way back were probably groundbreakers, right? I would say "The Others" was damn close or right on as well.

Thanks

b-dan
when i was in grade 4 i saw the fly for the first time it freaked me out

kmcdude
Originally posted by jOHN_Anderton
So... you agree then. Quite scary.

Let me ask you kmcdude: What one does "break new groud" as you say and what do you mean by that expression anyways? Do you mean like "sets a new standard" or "raises the bar"? I geuss "Blair Witch" could be considered that way when it first came out because of the way it was so different. Any other's since then you think broke new ground or set a new standard? Of course "The Exorcist" and "The SHining" from way back were probably groundbreakers, right? I would say "The Others" was damn close or right on as well.

Thanks

hmmm....interesting post.........I absolutely agree with you on Blair witch,it did set a new standard and for that reason I am a HUGE fan of this movie,even though I watched half of the sequel and turned it off laughing out loud I personally think ''The Exorcist'' is an over rated piece of crap,''The shining'' I have not seen for so long,I wont comment on it,but nothing much comes to mind when I think of it....

Now movies that set standards......One that comes straight of the top of my head is ''Halloween'' This movie is the GOD of slashers,also the original ''Pchyco'' Again this is all only my opinion and thanks to who ever takes the time to read the post.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.