Is it necessary for Force users to have to use their hands when using the force?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
Im just asking because I remember Luke using the Force in Return/Jedi, as if it was telepathic, on C-3PO while on that chair in the scene where Luke tried to help C-3PO convince the Ewoks that he was an upset God.

Like say could've Count Dooku broke the metal platform in ep. 3 down onto Obi Wan by just mentally using the Force with no hand gestures?

Or could Force push be mentally done with no hand gestures. I always wanted to know...

Gryn Jabar
Probably just concentration, just that when uses the hands, it allows onself to concentrate more.

Deus Ex
Probably more like a feeling of self assurance and not so much neccessary. Theatrically, it's interesting. When you think of lifting things, choking people, or obliterating the enemy with a blast of energy, do you not see yourself raising your hand?

Also, it's probably a signal during the scene for others to "react" to force feats that are edited in later, or perhaps even to rehearse without visible special effects.

Tru_Slice
What if you wanna turn off the TV using the force?

Do you point at it?

Deus Ex
No, I click the remote and save my Force powers for Persuading my date to pay more attention to me.

Oops... was that out loud?

Tru_Slice
Hope you're not watching TV while you're on a date...

Deus Ex
Meh, if her personality sucks, watching a movie at home is a good excuse to let your hands do the talking.

Tru_Slice
...while using the force

Deus Ex
Yup. Force spank is a real winner.

CobbleR
Originally posted by Deus Ex
Yup. Force spank is a real winner.

I have to remember that for my next date.

Darth_Veav
No, I click the remote and save my Force powers for Persuading my date to pay more attention to me.

Oops... was that out loud?

Janus: *Uses Jedi Mind Trick* You love me
Date: I love you...
Janus: You will go to my house
Date: I will go to your house
Janus: We'll have fun there...
Date: I will have fun in your house.

Deus Ex
http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/2496/jadz0sh.jpg

Veneficus
http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/2496/jadz0sh.jpg Lol! Damn that is funny.

Council#13
Using their hands probably just helps the Jedi channel their powers better.

Deus Ex
Can't imagine how.

Nai Fohl
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Im just asking because I remember Luke using the Force in Return/Jedi, as if it was telepathic, on C-3PO while on that chair in the scene where Luke tried to help C-3PO convince the Ewoks that he was an upset God.

Like say could've Count Dooku broke the metal platform in ep. 3 down onto Obi Wan by just mentally using the Force with no hand gestures?

Or could Force push be mentally done with no hand gestures. I always wanted to know...

Any kind of levitation can be done without hand gestures. In ESB you see Luke levitating stones and R2 while doing a handstand. Vader throws some things at Luke during their duel in ESB without making hand gestures. Other powers like force jumps, force speed and so on don't seem to requite gestures.

Force lightning of course can only be done with a handmovment ("aiming"wink but for the rest I'd say it only has some "dramatical" effect. For example Luke force chokes the Ghamorrean guards at the beginning of ROTJ points and the first one and still force chockes the first while pointing to the second one.

I mean...come on...it would look very stupid when force users would just stand around doing nothing while dropping stuff on their opponents, force push them around or do things like that.

overlord
Just like the crazy dutch television medium who uses her hands to channel her mystical force powers to heal, maybe she can do it without hands too! eek!

But anyway, who cares?? eek!

Lana
Good way to have fun in the middle of a crowd, though! laughing out loud

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Nai Fohl
I mean...come on...it would look very stupid when force users would just stand around doing nothing while dropping stuff on their opponents, force push them around or do things like that.

I actually think i'd be and look rather cool to just use force powers and just sit or stand there, kicking ass without breaking a sweat.

I think it would be more intimidating to use the force without using hand gestures to me. You could thoughtfully kick a guys ass, lol

keiran78
No. The hand motion is just a focusing tool.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by keiran78
No. The hand motion is just a focusing tool.

Like maybe what cross hairs or an aim is to a gun.

I see.

jollyjim311
I think it is more like the powers ythat have to be "aimed" are the ones that you use your hands for. Like lightning, or a push.

Deus Ex
Yeah, Yoda sure had to aim when he smacked those two royal guards into the wall.

I think it's dramatic neccessity, and really anything else is unfounded speculation. Besides, if they did nothing the movie would look stupid. Star Wars is mostly about perception: you have colorful laser swords being used by people who should reasonably never need to use them; a Death Star which blows crap up even if it's scientifically impossible; audio in space, etc.

Entertainment.

A better question would be "Why don't the jedi use the Force more?"

Sesse
"Why don't the jedi use the Force more?"

Doesn't that go into their philosophy?

If there is a way to get the job done without using the Force, then it's the better way. Aren't jedi supposed to be the ones to protect and to serve? For whenever the Force is used, it is always a way of domination. Events are forced (heh) to go as the jedi decides.

Pulling a blaster from thugs hand or tricking someone to accept credits. If the same thug could be made to understand, why it's better to put down hthe blaster the "to protect and to serve" mission would be fulfilled.

Less is more with the Force.

overlord
It would suck seeing the jedi constantly using the force, just like a fight with force lightning only.

It should be climax only or for giving an impression to the jedi/siths 'strength'.

Julie
No...but we wouldn't know what's going on unless someone gestures ....just merely staring hard at soemthing could get confusing.

besides it looks cooler to wave and then have someone choke

Borbarad
A better question would be "Why don't the jedi use the Force more?"

Because the movies would have looked like the Clone War cartoons in this case and Lucas would have never been able to force the idea down the fans' throats that the Jedi can get killed by some lame Clone Troopers or droids even when being outnumbered 100 on 1.

Darth Luminous
Like in KOTOR 1 or especially 2, blasting everybody with Force lightning is great at first ( maybe it helps you get through a boss when you're a weaker character? ) but after a while it gets old. However, slashing up completely helpless enemies with a saberstaff gets old too.

As for things being completely mental, I don't like that idea since it boils down to a psionics contest -- and there's more to it than that. It's not like Mensa is trying to take over the galaxy. There is a physical ( body ) relationship with the Force. See GL, etc.

Bespin Bart
I think the hand/body motions are just so you can understand what is happening on screen. Otherwise, say someone gets knocked over, and you'll just be like 'huh? who did that? what just happened?' whereas Maul thrusts out his hand and Obi-Wan is knocked backwards and everyone goes 'Damn that Maul!'

Just cues for the audience to go 'ooo' and 'aaah'

Darth Koroni
As said before, the hand motions just seem to be force of habit, Kreia levitated three lightsabers at once, and held off the Exile for a good amount of time after she got her other hand sliced off.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Julie
No...but we wouldn't know what's going on unless someone gestures ....just merely staring hard at soemthing could get confusing.

besides it looks cooler to wave and then have someone choke
I understand that it may look cooler or it'd be confusing if they didn't gesture.

What I wanna know is it a necessary obligation to use hand gestures with Force powers in the SW universe. Like I know it may be for dramatic effect but can the Force be used by simply not using hand gestures. Meaning, however retarded it may look, could a Jedi be able to do Force push or any other Force power mentally without theatrics, or is it impossible. Just wanna know if they're able to.

And personally i think it would've looked crazier looking and cool at the same time if Anakin was willing the choke hold he had on Padme in ep. 3 by just looking at her while maybe drawing his blade to fight Kenobi or while taking his robe off, lol.

I remember Vader doing that in "a new hope". After he said "As you wish." or during, he let go of the chock hold hand gesture and walked away and the guy was still chocking. I thought that was cool looking. To will the Force via thought only.

Ushgarak
One would assume from the oogic of the films that yes, it can be done but it is most likely harder or not as efficient.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Ushgarak
One would assume from the oogic of the films that yes, it can be done but it is most likely harder or not as efficient.

Hm. If I remember correctly, you wrote a reply post recently saying something along the lines that Star Wars and logic make for bad bedfellows.

So by that concept, I'm assuming it's why you said "yes, it can be done."

Thinking about it for a bit, about the movies, & how nontheatrical usage of the Force is possible by seeing it myself in the sw films, i as well think it's possible for any Force power to be used without theatrics, physically & technically of course, and with the exception of Force lighting.

Darth Faunus
Well according to Dooku's observations of Anakin and Obi-Wan in *you know the source*, I'd assume that many abilities can be done without hand gestures and the ilk.

Dooku comments on the duo's use of flashy gestures and waves as they traverse the factory on Tythe, using the Force to move aside obstacles, open doors, or push aside the spindly battle droids. But something that can be deducted and identified only be reading that particular passage, something I don't intend to do at the moment, reveals that the Jedi use their gestures and motions in order to channel the energy more effectively, to focus the Force in the most subtle and complicated of ways.

If any of you have read LOE, or have it on hand, you'll know what I mean.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Hm. If I remember correctly, you wrote a reply post recently saying something along the lines that Star Wars and logic make for bad bedfellows.

So by that concept, I'm assuming it's why you said "yes, it can be done."

Thinking about it for a bit, about the movies, & how nontheatrical usage of the Force is possible by seeing it myself in the sw films, i as well think it's possible for any Force power to be used without theatrics, physically & technically of course, and with the exception of Force lighting.

Star Wars and RATIONAL logic, yes. But the films have their own logic.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.