Who were those people in Gordon's house?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarkAge
In Batman Begins there is a young woman and a baby in Gordon's house before Batman arrives. Who are these people? Because they were too young to be Sarah and Barbara.

Bardock42
Originally posted by DarkAge
In Batman Begins there is a young woman and a baby in Gordon's house before Batman arrives. Who are these people? Because they were too young to be Sarah and Barbara.

Well they'd have to be Sarah and Barbara though......if you go by the comics it surely couldn't be Barbara since she was not Sarah's daughter but I guess they changed that a bit....

Zarathustra
They're Barbara (Gordon's first wife) and James (his son). That marriage breaks up eventually, Barbara taking James Jr. with her, then Gordon marries Sarah Essen (who he should be having an affair with during Batman Begins, but I digress). Barbara Gordon (Batgirl) comes into the picture when her parents die and the Gordons (The Comish is her uncle) adopt her. She has also been depicted as Jim Gordon's biological daughter, but I'm fairly certain it stands that she's adopted.

Bardock42
Damn, the guy knows his stuff. What Comics did you get that from?

Zarathustra
Originally posted by Bardock42
Damn, the guy knows his stuff. What Comics did you get that from?
Barbara and James (as well as Sarah) are featured prominently in Batman: Year One, The Long Halloween, and Dark Victory ("Babs", incidentally, is also mentioned in The Long Halloween: she comes and babysits James on New Years so the then Captain and Mrs Gordon could celebrate the holiday with the Dents). For the most part, however, you'd probably be more likely to see Sarah in comics... (SPOILER HERE) until she was killed by the Joker in the last issue of No Man's Land.

DarkAge
Wow, thanks. I knew Begins was faithful to the comics but that's some really good attention to detail.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Zarathustra
Barbara and James (as well as Sarah) are featured prominently in Batman: Year One, The Long Halloween, and Dark Victory ("Babs", incidentally, is also mentioned in The Long Halloween: she comes and babysits James on New Years so the then Captain and Mrs Gordon could celebrate the holiday with the Dents). For the most part, however, you'd probably be more likely to see Sarah in comics... (SPOILER HERE) until she was killed by the Joker in the last issue of No Man's Land.

I thought Year One and The Long Halloween are Elseworld ....

Zarathustra
Originally posted by Bardock42
I thought Year One and The Long Halloween are Elseworld ....
Unless they went and changed the continuity again, events from Year One and Long Halloween were referenced in No Man's Land and Hush respectively. In No Man's Land, Sarah makes allusions to her and Comissioner Gordon's affair which had happened in Year One, and in Hush Harvey Dent mentions how Joker beat him up in front of his wife on Christmas (which, of course, happened in The Long Halloween).

In any case, Batman Begins draws pretty heavily on Year One one way or the other: the device used to call the bats, the characters Flass, Falcone, and Comissioner Loeb (although Flass looked much different in Year One and Loeb was an older white man), not to mention the last scene of the movie being uncannily similar to the last scene in Year One and the fact that Gary Oldman (Jim Gordon) looked like he had just stepped out of that comic book.

Doc Ock
How the hell can it be Sarah Essen???

He didn't meet Sarah til after Barbara was grown up and his wife died.Sarah is not Barbara's mother.

She was Gordon's second wife.

Read the comics people.It is what these movies are based on.

tpaquin
Originally posted by Doc Ock

Read the comics people.It is what these movies are based on.

Let us recall who Batman and Robin's Batgirl's alterego was, and who killed Bruce's partens in B89?...

...Yes. The comics. Unfoortunately, not everything is directly based upon them, because events tend to be somewhat skewed.

Maybe it was a neighborhood girl over to report a missing cat, whom Barbera and Jim decided to have over for din din before sending her home with a lolly.

Bardock42
This is too embarrassing...I think i'll go shoot myself now......

sevenman
yeah...thats it.

Knightfall93
Look, its james Jr and Barbare (his wife, not his freakin' daughter!). He first met Sarah Essen in yr1 and they had an affair but she got a transfer to New York. when Jim Sr divorced Barb(who went to Chicago with baby Jim), Satah later returned and they got it on and adopted Barbara (Jim's niece)

Knightfall93
But they treat Barbara like a real daughter

Knightfall93
She's a lot older than Jim Jr. does Gordon ever see his son after they divorce?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.