Can Jedi be considered super-heroes?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
I mean, a super-hero is, after all, a fictional character who is noted for feats of courage and nobility, who usually has colorful name and costume and abilities beyond those of normal human beings, right?

Deus Ex

Alkaselzer
Jedi fight crime and have the gift of the Force, but not superhuman gifts. Superhuman usually refers to super strength, flying, control of the elements, etc etc, and are usually blown way out of proportion.

Twilight Janick
If the gift of the Force can be considered superhuman, then yes.

FistOfThe North

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Alkaselzer
Jedi fight crime and have the gift of the Force, but not superhuman gifts. Superhuman usually refers to super strength, flying, control of the elements, etc etc, and are usually blown way out of proportion.

Jedi have can have super strength. An example would be Yoda in "ESB" lifting Luke's star-fighter out of the swamp rather effortlessly.

Jedi can become airborne for a bit, but not all Superheroes fly, ex: Batman. Jedi can perform real high leaps and bounds that are superhuman-like. They can jump of high levels of surface and land perfectly unharmed.

not all superheroes can control the elements..

In fact, there are some superhuman feats that most Jedi can do that some superheroes cannot do..

In other words, I consider the Jedi to be superheroes. I just don't refer to them as so. I just call them Jedi.

overlord
Jedi are above superheroes, superheroes are lame.
Except for batman of course because he is.. batman.

Lana
"Jedi have can have super strength. An example would be Yoda in "ESB" lifting Luke's star-fighter out of the swamp rather effortlessly."

That's not actual physical strength, though, which is what is meant by super-strength, that's just control of the Force.

Deus Ex
I think the point you're missing, FoTNS is that the jedi aren't trying to be heroes nor are they fighting crime or being vigilantes. They are a religious order that utilizes a very universe form of power (not unique) to keep the peace and combat those who use that same power for ill.

They do not crack down on smuggling, stop slavery, or otherwise act as vigilantes or police on anything other than a very distinct level (For example, Stark Hyperspace Wars, Clone Wars, a whole four jedi were sent to stop succession in Ansion, which was a pivotal planet in a web of alliances that threatened to break the Republic hold in that area).

Unlike Batman or Superman or Spiderman, they don't have unique powers that are beyond belief, they don't violate laws of nature with their very being, and they originated in a sci-fi movie, not in cartoons or comics, which were just an extension of media, nor their origins.

Sorgo
Originally posted by Lana
"Jedi have can have super strength. An example would be Yoda in "ESB" lifting Luke's star-fighter out of the swamp rather effortlessly."

That's not actual physical strength, though, which is what is meant by super-strength, that's just control of the Force.

Rather effortlessly? That's quite the amazing point of view...

xxxpoppunker182
jedi in their galaxie are not superhero's but if one were to be here on earth they'd be considered a superhero.

Deus Ex
Originally posted by xxxpoppunker182
jedi in their galaxie are not superhero's but if one were to be here on earth they'd be considered a superhero.

Very good point.

overlord
Originally posted by xxxpoppunker182

That makes no sense at all..

Deus Ex
Sure it does. Not his fault you can't see sense right in front of your face.

overlord
Wow, that was completely useless and stupid. You must be frustrated.

xxxpoppunker182
Originally posted by overlord
That makes no sense at all..

how does that not make sense? it's the exact same concept as superman it isn't that hard to understand.

Deus Ex

OKay.

Speaking of someone who doesn't make a lick of sense nor contribute... Hey wait- that's YOU overlord!

Lana
Originally posted by Sorgo
Rather effortlessly? That's quite the amazing point of view...

I didn't say it originally, I was quoting FistoftheNorthStar. I was pointing out that that wasn't super strength, it was control of the Force.

Captain REX
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Jedi have can have super strength. An example would be Yoda in "ESB" lifting Luke's star-fighter out of the swamp rather effortlessly.

Jedi can become airborne for a bit, but not all Superheroes fly, ex: Batman. Jedi can perform real high leaps and bounds that are superhuman-like. They can jump of high levels of surface and land perfectly unharmed.

not all superheroes can control the elements..

In fact, there are some superhuman feats that most Jedi can do that some superheroes cannot do..

In other words, I consider the Jedi to be superheroes. I just don't refer to them as so. I just call them Jedi.

Jedi do NOT have super strength. Do you see Obi-Wan picking up cars with his bare hands or throwing around buildings? No? The Force is not super strength, it's telekinetics and telepathy.

Jedi jump, completely different than airborne.

And that wasn't the point of the element comment: NO Jedi control elements.

Jedi Knights and superheroes are different things.

Sorgo
Originally posted by Lana
I didn't say it originally, I was quoting FistoftheNorthStar. I was pointing out that that wasn't super strength, it was control of the Force.

Ah, A misunderstanding. I apologize.

Lana
No problem smile

Ushgarak
Yes, thematically speaking over time the superhero has not actually been the voice of authority himself, he has been either welcome or covert help TO authorities. (And yes, series like 'The Authority' do the opposite, that that was actually specific point of inverting how superhero scripts normally run, not an extension of the mythos; likewise the Government-sponsored heroes in The Watchmen)

Jedi are part of the system- at one point they were going to be wearing UN-style uniforms.

Their thematic ancestry is actually tied into Arthurian Knights and Wild West Marshalls.

Nai Fohl
I won't call Jedi "superheroes". The "superhero mythology" features some ideas that don't fit to the Jedi:

a)
Superheroes have two identities in most cases. Their superhero identity and a "normal" one (Like Superman being Clark Kent, Batman being Bruce Wayne and so on). Jedi are just Jedi.

b)
Superheroes in most cases don't serve the system which they live in. They serve higher ideals like justice - and sometimes they even get in conflict with system authorities. Jedi serve the Republic - they are part of the system.

c)
Superheroes in most cases have powers that are based on supernatural events: their origin (Superman), genetic experiments (Spiderman), catastrophes (Fantastic Four) or mutations (X-Men). The Force is part of the normal nature and so the Jedi being force users are part of the nature of the SW universe - they aren't "supernatural" in terms of their own universe. For example Superman would not have been anything special on his own world.

So I personally won't call Jedi "superheroes".

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Captain REX
Jedi do NOT have super strength. Do you see Obi-Wan picking up cars with his bare hands or throwing around buildings? No? The Force is not super strength, it's telekinetics and telepathy.

Jedi jump, completely different than airborne.

And that wasn't the point of the element comment: NO Jedi control elements.

Jedi Knights and superheroes are different things.

Do you see Batman picking up a car with his bare hands or throwing around buildings? No.

There are super heroes that only have telekinesis and telepathic abilities for example Jean Grey (Phoenix) and Xavier among many others.

And I said Jedi "can" become airborne for a "bit" I didn't say they become completely airborne

A Jedi Jump = being airborne for a "bit" = being in the air longer than naturally possible, meaning.

There may be a difference between the 2, but what your saying doesn't clarify anything.

Captain REX
You said that Jedi had super strength, which I was disproving. Pay attention to your own argument. And the Jean Grey/Xavier kind of telepathy/telekinesis is absurdly overpowered compared to the Jedi.

And nice work ignoring the other arguments against your reasoning. Pure genius.

FistOfThe North
You said that Jedi had super strength, which I was disproving. Pay attention to your own argument. And the Jean Grey/Xavier kind of telepathy/telekinesis is absurdly overpowered compared to the Jedi.

And nice work ignoring the other arguments against your reasoning. Pure genius.

Pay attention to my own argument? lol? wtf are you talking about, super-strength?
I did say it, what are you talking about..I never said I didn't..I had my statement/opinion on it and so did someone else. What does that have to do with anything. Seems you need to pay more attention to your incomprehensions.

And Jean Gray/Xavier could have the kind of telepathic or telekinetic power God may have. It doesn't matter. Both Jedi and Superheroes can have telekinesis and telepathy is what I'm saying. On different degrees, yes, but they still can poses those power...genius laughing out loud

Tangible God
Pay attention to my own argument? lol? wtf are you talking about, super-strength?
I did say it, what are you talking about..I never said I didn't..I had my statement/opinion on it and so did someone else. What does that have to do with anything. Seems you need to pay more attention to your incomprehensions.

And Jean Gray/Xavier could have the kind of telepathic or telekinetic power God may have. It doesn't matter. Both Jedi and Superheroes can have telekinesis and telepathy is what I'm saying. On different degrees, yes, but they still can poses those power...genius laughing out loud I'd call you a dick, but the LOL smile you put says it anyway.

Captain REX
I'll agree with Tangible. You have NO comprehension of ANYTHING, for Chrissakes...

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Tangible God
I'd call you a dick, but the LOL smile you put says it anyway.

Ah, the wonders of the Internet a.k.a instant courage.
Now Tangible was that necessary. Your're defending him in the same way I'd defend a hottie. I'm I missing something here or are you guys just Anakin and Padme happy? meh. who knows. who cares.

I now know that this will turn into a flaming war causing either myself or you too lovebirds the boot. I'm for it. I don't normally stoop to ally-cat ways, normally, but if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

You'd call me a dick. But i'm saying you're one, Tangy..you and your bf. Let the games begin..

smokin'

jollyjim311
On the Clone Wars D.V.D one guy on the extra features says Jedi are like super heroes, so.... I say they could be considered superheros, only, more organized and law abiding (until the law is "evil"wink.

Captain REX
Law-abiding? They ARE the law.

Fist, **** off. I highly doubt that I will be banned, seeing as I am a damned moderator, you stupid boy. You, however, have already been banned, and next time is forever. You are showing just how stupid and ignorant you are, so either continue with your stupidity or grow up.

And you STILL haven't responded to the parts of the argument that prove you wrong, just mine, which your answers to were weak, and completely muddled, because you said that Jedi had super strength and gave an example of strength in the Force, to which I said you were mistaken, and you gave some crap answer that had nothing to do with anything.

And the use of the "If you strike me down..." line is entirely cliche. smokin'

Lana
Oh, FotN, you just ****ed up big grin

FistOfThe North
Law-abiding? They ARE the law.

Fist, **** off. I highly doubt that I will be banned, seeing as I am a damned moderator, you stupid boy. You, however, have already been banned, and next time is forever. You are showing just how stupid and ignorant you are, so either continue with your stupidity or grow up.

And you STILL haven't responded to the parts of the argument that prove you wrong, just mine, which your answers to were weak, and completely muddled, because you said that Jedi had super strength and gave an example of strength in the Force, to which I said you were mistaken, and you gave some crap answer that had nothing to do with anything.

And the use of the "If you strike me down..." line is entirely cliche. smokin'

rotflmfao!

Wow, just wow..

I can smell mental incompetence a light-year away. You're not worth the energy my fingers will use to type back to your like.

I have much to type but I'll save it for intellectuals. Not for people who say "you stupid dummy"

laughing

General Zink
I'm just going to sit here and laugh at Fist. Bye-bye, Fist...

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by General Zink
I'm just going to sit here and laugh at Fist. Bye-bye, Fist...
Byee Happy Dance

Ushgarak
Tangible, don't just throw out insults like that, it;s not helpfuil. I'll have to warn you again if you do so.

FOTN, you are definitely on a final warning. Act remotely like that again and you'll be out of here forever.

Thread ruined by immature behaviour, so closed.

BackFire
rotflmfao!

Wow, just wow..

I can smell mental incompetence a light-year away.

I didn't know people could generally recognize their own stench.

3 day ban for mental incompetence boy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.