Anger

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KharmaDog
Last night I was fortunate to sit down and gab for a while with Henry Rollins.

Any of you who know this guy already are aware that he is pretty intense. As polite and intelligent as he was, you can tell he's angry at everything, everyone and even himself. It seems he's been able to channel his anger into productivity pretty well.

I was just wondering what others thought about anger. Do you consider yourself an angry person? Do you know, or are friends with anyone who would fit that description? Do you think it's bad? Do you think it's innately negative? Can you yourself derive any positives out of anger?

debbiejo
Many angry people are considered A type personalities....but yes, I've know some pretty intense people....I've learned to steer away from certain subjects, or how to change them to go in a different direction...It is a negative emotion, but needs to used properly...not a way of living...Living in that state can cause health problems.....And do I get angry?......Hardly ever.....I get more annoyed....

Echuu
Originally posted by KharmaDog

Any of you who know this guy already are aware that he is pretty intense. As polite and intelligent as he was, you can tell he's angry at everything, everyone and even himself. It seems he's been able to channel his anger into productivity pretty well.

I was just wondering what others thought about anger. Do you consider yourself an angry person? Do you know, or are friends with anyone who would fit that description? Do you think it's bad? Do you think it's innately negative? Can you yourself derive any positives out of anger?

No, I'm really not too angry of a person.
I think it's possible to derive positives from anger. It can help you be a better competetor or help you get a project done faster...but, not in all situations. That's the problem. If your anger borders on rage it's going to be very difficult to channel it into something positive.

Alpha Centauri
I think Maynard from Tool said it best when he said: "People confuse anger with hate. Anger is much more constructive, hate tends to be a very destructive emotion."

Anger can produce a lot of great things if harnessed properly.

-AC

lil bitchiness
The one that angers you, controls you.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

What a pointless and stupid saying....

PVS

DUDE THATS AWESOME!!!! (not the anger part but hanging out with rollins)

yeah, he's very angry. but if you listen to some of his spoken word, he digs into his own past and you get a good whiff of why he's so angry.
i think he's one of the rare few who i can easily excuse such an attitude.
what gets me is when people act like that and dont have anything close to a good excuse.

PVS
Originally posted by Bardock42

what a rude and ignorant statement.
thats a timeless philosophy and its true, however rhetorical.

i prefer: when you resent someone you allow them to live in your mind rent-free.

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
what a rude and ignorant statement.
thats a timeless philosophy and its true, however rhetorical.

i prefer: when you resent someone you allow them to live in your mind rent-free.
How is that in any way true....just because someone makes another person angry does't mean they have control now...that's non sense....and might it ever occur again....

Lets try it the Scientific way....Whirly made me angry once....does that mean he has or had control over me....no...nothing except the usual influence a person has on another.....so there is an example that doesn't fit to the statement therefore it's wrong....

Actually theres xusually not much truth in sayings anyways...but this one especially is actually nonsense...

soleran30
Well with the topic at hand there is a sense of angger in the threadsmile Henry Rollins is one man that can throw the beat down and like toosmile Cuz I'm a Liar (what a wicked song and video dressed as a policeman lol)

lil bitchiness
How is that in any way true....just because someone makes another person angry does't mean they have control now...that's non sense....and might it ever occur again....

Lets try it the Scientific way....Whirly made me angry once....does that mean he has or had control over me....no...nothing except the usual influence a person has on another.....so there is an example that doesn't fit to the statement therefore it's wrong....

Actually theres xusually not much truth in sayings anyways...but this one especially is actually nonsense...

After the statement you made, I guess the idea you don't understand the philosophy of the saying, should not surprise me.

Anger IS lack of control - that is the very base of anger. Inability to control your feelings!
If you are able to control yourself and your feelings, you wouldnt be angry - anger is a lack of rational thinking. Hence people kill in anger and regret it for the rest of their lives.

You may not agree with certain sayings adn philosophies, but that does not make them less valid.

But then again, perhaps this is hard for you to grasp, as it is absolutely futile to ask a narrow minded person to evolve his or her mind set.

Bardock42
After the statement you made, I guess the idea you don't understand the philosophy of the saying, should not surprise me.

Anger IS lack of control - that is the very base of anger. Inability to control your feelings!
If you are able to control yourself and your feelings, you wouldnt be angry - anger is a lack of rational thinking. Hence people kill in anger and regret it for the rest of their lives.

You may not agree with certain sayings adn philosophies, but that does not make them less valid.

But then again, perhaps this is hard for you to grasp, as it is absolutely futile to ask a narrow minded person to evolve his or her mind set. Originally posted by lil bitchiness

This does NOT say: "When you are angry you lose cotrol" it says that someone that can make you angry can control you..that#S just not true...however narrow minded I am and however much Philosophy you will try to interpret into it this statement will remain WRONG.

debbiejo

Was having probs. getting on, but I did post this before....just didn't make it on....

I totally agree.....My own experience.

Shakyamunison

The way I see it is: there are ten different worlds, http://www.sgi-usa.org/buddhism/faqs/tenworlds.htm . Each of us live, primarily in one of these worlds and move from world to world as things in our environment affect us. One of these worlds is Anger. If you live in the world of anger, you are controlled by the rules of the world of anger. I live mostly in the world of hell, but have learned how to stay away from home as much as possible. laughing You should shear the above site with your friend, he may not agree with the Buddhist religion but the philosophy is interesting.

soleran30
This does NOT say: "When you are angry you lose cotrol" it says that someone that can make you angry can control you..that#S just not true...however narrow minded I am and however much Philosophy you will try to interpret into it this statement will remain WRONG.

Oh anyone that can control your emotional state does own yousmile Thats not philosophy thats fact! Thats something right there that wins elections as a matter of factsmile Life is a sales pitch and people buy from their heart.....

Bardock42
Originally posted by soleran30
Oh anyone that can control your emotional state does own yousmile Thats not philosophy thats fact! Thats something right there that wins elections as a matter of factsmile Life is a sales pitch and people buy from their heart.....
But it says "The one that angers you" ...that in no way has anything with actual control of emotions...now I agree..if you had the powers the Mule has in Asimovs "Second Foundation" then you could speak of control.....but someone that's just able to anger another person DOES NOT control that person...yes influence the person a bit...but not control....

PVS gets angry at KidRock sometimes....does that mean Kid Rock controls him...hmm...NO.

debbiejo
But it says "The one that angers you" ...that in no way has anything with actual control of emotions...now I agree..if you had the powers the Mule has in Asimovs "Second Foundation" then you could speak of control.....but someone that's just able to anger another person DOES NOT control that person...yes influence the person a bit...but not control....

PVS gets angry at KidRock sometimes....does that mean Kid Rock controls him...hmm...NO.

Control that in the fact that it keeps entering your mind....

soleran30

Sometimes the hole just isn't that deep.........

Bardock42
Originally posted by debbiejo
Control that in the fact that it keeps entering your mind....
Oh I see so you are saying "Control as in No-Control at all actually"....yeah then I agree

lil bitchiness
Apperantly, Bradock has trouble understanding that control is very complex and there are many forms of it.

Emotional control cannot be the same as economic control, which is not the same as the physical control - thats pretty obvious.

Bardock42
Apperantly, Bradock has trouble understanding that control is very complex and there are many forms of it.

Emotional control cannot be the same as economic control, which is not the same as the physical control - thats pretty obvious.

Apparently, lil bitchiness has trouble understanding that no actual definition inf the world will make her statement any more true....

I never claimed it is..but just because someone has the ability to anger you doesn't mean that they can control you....except in a very strange definition of the word control where it means "Someone can anger you" ......

debbiejo
If you are angry at someone else.....think?????...how many mins. a day do you think of that situation or person Burdock42?......Now, you are not in control, but they are....they are in control of your thoughts.

soleran30
Apparently, lil bitchiness has trouble understanding that no actual definition inf the world will make her statement any more true....

I never claimed it is..but just because someone has the ability to anger you doesn't mean that they can control you....except in a very strange definition of the word control where it means "Someone can anger you" ......

And thats exactly the point they are making....."someone can anger you" then they decide how you will react, respond and function around them.....its a control mechanism

lil bitchiness
If you are angry at someone else.....think?????...how many mins. a day do you think of that situation or person Burdock42?......Now, you are not in control, but they are....they are in control of your thoughts. Originally posted by soleran30
And thats exactly the point they are making....."someone can anger you" then they decide how you will react, respond and function around them.....its a control mechanism

thumb up

Which is exatly what the quote was saying.

Its sad that you cannot open your mind to the timeless saying because you are too closed minded to admit you rudely replied to my post on the bases that you faild to understand it.

Bardock42
If you are angry at someone else.....think?????...how many mins. a day do you think of that situation or person Burdock42?......Now, you are not in control, but they are....they are in control of your thoughts.
If I am angry at a person I might think a few minuteds aboot the incident that made me angry....how does that person control me? That would imply that the person only wants to anger me and make me think aboot them ( I agree they might have that power) that'S not controling anything....Originally posted by soleran30

I will say it to you too...The person can not decide how I react...I only react one way..I get angry......Control would mean that they at least can decide between two (actual control even more) possibilities...

It's like the one king in the "Little Prince" ...I can tell the Sun to rise at approximately 8 am in the morning...does that mean I control the sun? ..No....to control it I actually need to have power over the person. What you, debbiejo and Lil_b are saying that anyone who can create an emotion in you can control you....nothing more.

Bardock42
thumb up

Which is exatly what the quote was saying.

Its sad that you cannot open your mind to the timeless saying because you are too closed minded to admit you rudely replied to my post on the bases that you faild to understand it.

No it's not...it's what you people interpret in it. oOh and that's still wrong.

I did not respond rude...I just pointed out the pointlessness and the stupidity of that saying......and I am not close minded, although you like to throw that around....

by the way how did you come to the Conclusion I was close-minded?

debbiejo
OK...maybe you're saying there is just anger and for some there is suppressed anger that carries.....Many people have anger that carried like in the opening post suggested....just want to clarify....Suppressed anger only harms yourself in the long run....

soleran30

I will say it to you too...The person can not decide how I react...I only react one way..I get angry......Control would mean that they at least can decide between two (actual control even more) possibilities...

Conversation like this are just painful.......do you major in double talk at school? If someone can choose to make you angery they do control two different pieces.......to not make you angry or to make you angry thats 2 different possibilities........thats control.......

Bardock42
OK...maybe you're saying there is just anger and for some there is suppressed anger that carries.....Many people have anger that carried like in the opening post suggested....just want to clarify....Suppressed anger only harms yourself in the long run....

Nothing to do witht he arguement at the moment. What the f**k?

Conversation like this are just painful.......do you major in double talk at school? If someone can choose to make you angery they do control two different pieces.......to not make you angry or to make you angry thats 2 different possibilities........thats control.......

Yes I do...I suck at it...I always state the truth.....

Anyways..now that#S a stretch, you are saying that the person that angers me has the ability not to anger me.....that's in no way implied...and not even very likely....

soleran30
Nothing to do witht he arguement at the moment. What the f**k?

Yes I do...I suck at it...I always state the truth.....

Anyways..now that#S a stretch, you are saying that the person that angers me has the ability not to anger me.....that's in no way implied...and not even very likely....

WTF do you like to read your text.......because whats with this imply stuff........its not an imply its a truth people can make you angry or choose not to make you angry.......2 choices and plenty of control.....

debbiejo
WTF do you like to read your text.......because whats with this imply stuff........its not an imply its a truth people can make you angry or choose not to make you angry.......2 choices and plenty of control.....

That is correct....You can let people get to you, or chose not to....again...people need to take responsibility for themselves....not to blame someone else that has the problem on making you angry...they are the ones with the problem...don't make it yours also.....that only feeds the fuel....Be true to who you are yourself...don't let others cross your boundary and drag you in..that is what hell is.

Bardock42

What the hell...how can a person chose to make you angry or not? I guess some can...but even then the definition of control is wrong.

Again what your interpretations are saying is either.

"The one who can make you angry, can make you angry"

or

"The one that can amke you enter any emotional state, has that far control over you that they can make you enter any emotional state"

or

"The one that has emotional control over you, has emotional control over you"

but your interpretations are clearly not included in

"The one that angers (how? Passive or Active? What amount of anger? Can they chose to do so?) you, controls (How? Fully or Partly? Emotional, Physical....) you"

Bardock42
That is correct....You can let people get to you, or chose not to....again...people need to take responsibility for themselves....not to blame someone else that has the problem on making you angry...they are the ones with the problem...don't make it yours also.....that only feeds the fuel....Be true to who you are yourself...don't let others cross your boundry and drag you in..that is what hell is.
Wrong side again Debbie.

We are not arguein if the angry person can decide to get angry or not, but if the Person that makes one angry can decide to make you angry or not

debbiejo
Wrong side again Debbie.

We are not arguein if the angry person can decide to get angry or not, but if the Person that makes one angry can decide to make you angry or not

OK....I think..confused

soleran30
What the hell...how can a person chose to make you angry or not? I guess some can...but even then the definition of control is wrong.

Again what your interpretations are saying is either.

"The one who can make you angry, can make you angry"

or

"The one that can amke you enter any emotional state, has that far control over you that they can make you enter any emotional state"

or

"The one that has emotional control over you, has emotional control over you"

but your interpretations are clearly not included in

"The one that angers (how? Passive or Active? What amount of anger? Can they chose to do so?) you, controls (How? Fully or Partly? Emotional, Physical....) you"

Often control is directing influence. Taken from wikipedia not my implyed meaning but what it really is........

botankus
As long as everybody's angry here, then I think the thread did it's job.

debbiejo
The one thing I know about anger is that it needs something to feeds off of....It can easily be defused......And there are reasons for proper anger.....many, many many......but it has to have its proper place....

Shakyamunison

Only you can make yourself angry. You are the person who is in charge of how you feel. You can choose to not get angry. When people think that others are doing things to them, they give up their power over their own lives. Even if someone was beating on you, you are still the person who makes the choice to get angry. Now, getting angry maybe the right thing to do, like defending an other person or yourself, but it is still a choice you make. big grin

debbiejo
Originally posted by botankus
As long as everybody's angry here, then I think the thread did it's job.

Awwww....you're not angry....you have a cow now instead of a weird bear......OH...my.....not a type A personality....

Bardock42
OK....I think..confused

yeah well..just a different thing.

Often control is directing influence. Taken from wikipedia not my implyed meaning but what it really is........

Yes, but would you actually call someone that can slightly influence one of your emotions (and to what extend, and does that Saying actually say that?), controling you?

KharmaDog
Originally posted by PVS
DUDE THATS AWESOME!!!! (not the anger part but hanging out with rollins)

yeah, he's very angry. but if you listen to some of his spoken word, he digs into his own past and you get a good whiff of why he's so angry.
i think he's one of the rare few who i can easily excuse such an attitude.
what gets me is when people act like that and dont have anything close to a good excuse.

You do get a whiff why he's angry, but he seems to be angry and put himself in a certain state because he feels that happiness if indulged in too deeply leads to sloth and despair. I can't remember exactly how the convo totally went because I was pretty f*ckin' tired.

The other thing is though he is angry there isn't much of an attitude there. He's pretty courteous, polite and well read.

debbiejo
yeah well..just a different thing.

Yes, but would you actually call someone that can slightly influence one of your emotions (and to what extend, and does that Saying actually say that?), controling you?

You're not gettin angry are you............there's lots of jobs out there.... big grin

Bardock42
You're not gettin angry are you............there's lots of jobs out there.... big grin

What the f**k?

botankus
Awwww....you're not angry....you have a cow now instead of a weird bear......OH...my.....not a type A personality....
That ain't no ordinary cow...that's a cow trying to make "COPS."

Did you give him the job after you took his picture?

debbiejo
Originally posted by botankus

Did you give him the job after you took his picture?

Actually have done things like that before.....but not for mail laughing out loud ...then did hear it was a scam....OH WHAT TO THINK!!!!

Bardock42
it was a scam....

No, no...beggars are scum...not scam....pors for calling them "it" though...thumb up

Oh I am so sorry, I know that was just not cool but I had to.....embarrasment

debbiejo
No, no...beggars are scum...not scam....pors for calling them "it" though...thumb up

Oh I am so sorry, I know that was just not cool but I had to.....embarrasment

That was a true and a false..here..............You gotta to see them......to talk to them.......then.........

soleran30
Oh no beggers are manipulators as well cuz they make me angry!smile

Bardock42
Oh no beggers are manipulators as well cuz they make me angry!smile
Oh that means beggars control you...way to go buddy....

BackFire
SHIT!!!

soleran30
Oh that means beggars control you...way to go buddy....

I knew you would come to understand this laughing out loud

Bardock42
I knew you would come to understand this laughing out loud
Yes...i did...really...it makes sense...I swear...no expression

soleran30
Yes...i did...really...it makes sense...I swear...no expression

what a waste of sarcasm

Bardock42
what a waste of sarcasm

What you mean...sarcusm...never heard of that no expression

Victor Von Doom
I bought Henry Rollins' book 'Black Coffee Blues' the other day. It's quite interesting.

Inspectah Deck

laughing out loud

Shakyamunison
What has this thread come to be about?

GCG

Dont know what you mean here. People arent born 'Angry' as in it doesnt constitute a part of character. Short-tempered, though, is very possibly a part of one's character.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by GCG
Dont know what you mean here. People arent born 'Angry' as in it doesnt constitute a part of character. Short-tempered, though, is very possibly a part of one's character.

Although people "aren't born angry", Anger can definately constitute a large part of someone's character. Your character is not totally genetically defined. There is learned behaviour, and one's upbringing also affects their character outcome.

GCG
Now its the upbringing Anger infliction and nourishment thats scaring me. I dont know anybody close to me who is afflicted by that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.