Surveillance Equipment

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

GCG
Is the World, as we know it, a safer place with all these CCTV, Night Vision and IR and recording pieces of Equipmnet in Public and Private places ?

They are measures of Deterrance and Detection. As for detection, we know they work as long as its all on tape but what about deterrance ?

Deano
big brother is watching you!

can you say prison planet?

GCG
Why prison ? If you have nothing to fear, then there is no fuss. If Criminals cannot get around the Surveillance, they will go for softer target. So it does work to deter up to a certain extent.

jerlark386
A clever criminal know a way around cameras. All it will really do in the long run, is violate your privacy. And I will confess, I am a bit camera shy.
What if I were to say
Every breath you take, every move you make, I'll be watching you.

How would you feel about that?

Deano

tabby999
ha, how about the put in some CCTV cameras that dont make everyone look like a pixel and recognisable, then i'll have faith in them

Ya Krunk'd Floo
'Freedom within a cage' is not freedom. Absolute observation is seperated from absolute control by the minutest of degrees. The more cameras, the greater the observation; ergo the greater the erosion of civil liberties, so go figure...

Deano
http://prisonplanet.com/

Imagawa666
Deano your conspiracy theorys are realy anooying me. We do not live in a police state. Your just stirring trouble. People like you are what help terrorists. If we were a police state then perhaps July 7th wouldnt have happened you thick un patriotic tratior.

Deano

Imagawa666
ohh.... Big words for such a nieve brain

Deano
great comeback

Imagawa666
I know... But your silly conspiraCIES AINT GONNA TOPPLE ANY GOVERMENT YET. tRY A poor third world goverment first.

GAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deano
ok. but i suggest you look further into this before you ridicule. you might be saved yet

Morgoths_Wrath
one nation, under surveillance

Deano
how about the whole world under surveilance

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Deano
why do i have to be patriotic? why do i have to have the belief that my country is superior to all others?

...Says the guy with a Union Jack in his signature AND St.George's flag in his avatar.

Ushgarak
I cannot understand the logic that says cameras are a threat to civil liberties. They are indeed useful in dealing with crime- and less than 1% of criminals are 'clever'.

jerlark386
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I cannot understand the logic that says cameras are a threat to civil liberties. They are indeed useful in dealing with crime- and less than 1% of criminals are 'clever'.

umm..privacy?

Personally, I'd rather be shot in the dark then have every action I make in the light. It would drive me crazy.

jaden101
cctv...makes very amusing viewing when made into tv shows

wouldn't have identified and caught the people responsible for the second july bombings without it

Lana
Originally posted by jerlark386
umm..privacy?

Personally, I'd rather be shot in the dark then have every action I make in the light. It would drive me crazy.

What exactly do having security cameras in public places (stores, hospitals, schools, etc) have to do with your privacy? It's to deter people causing crimes there and to help catch those who are stupid enough to do something anyway.

If you're afraid of a security camera, it's most likely because you're thinking of doing something that could get you in trouble if it's caught on it.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Ushgarak

Yeah...at one time I just didn't like it, but if you're not doing anything wrong..ie breaking the law, then there shouldn't be a problem, but as with many things....laws can change, and equipment could be misused...but then again, I do watch those kinds of movies.... big grin

Ushgarak
Yes, see, people just throw out the word 'privacy' as if the cameras were being installed in your homes, and not just in public places! Which is untrue. I don't know why people haven't noticed that you don't actually have the right to go unobserved in public places- in fact, that in itself would be a very bad idea. It's not a civil liberty.

Any muppet can watch you whilst you are out in the street, so why worry about a camera, when it has such a useful function when it comes to crime? As Jaden mentioned, there are rather serious crimes being cleared up because of them that otherwise never could, and endless amounts of assaults, robberies and other such matters are greatly helped to be cleared up by them. Squeaking about 'threats to our civil liberties' whilst preferring a system that would allow such people to commit crimes without fear of identification seriously confuse me in the logic department.

It strikes me as a form of extreme paranoia.

Big Brother was NOT cameras in the street- that's just a logical extension of law enforcement.

Big Brother was the observation and control of everything you did- it went into your home and watched you, not to prevent crime but simply because the idea was that citizens had to be watched. If you think CCTV is even vaguely approaching that state then I suggest you read the book again and don't just throw such terms around without brainpower behind them.

Deano
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
...Says the guy with a Union Jack in his signature AND St.George's flag in his avatar.

i WAS patriotic at one time, but ive grown out of that now. i keep the signature and avy cos it is trademark deano now

Dude111
Indeed... People are letting themselves be caged in and they dont even realise it!!!!!! (They have been made to be complaint docile morons)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.