Xbox 360 Game Forum

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Saint Ramaeker
I am hearing rumors about how microsoft is not going to allow old xbox games to be played on the xbox 360 and I am hearing that Halo three will be out in May so it wont matter if halo 2 doesnt work on the 360. Are these rumors true?

JKozzy
Some. Not all.

Silverstein
if no 360 backwards compatibility then that sucks majorly

Avenger2.0
Originally posted by Silverstein
if no 360 backwards compatibility then that sucks majorly

Backwards compatibilty or not, it was always gonna suck.

JKozzy
Coming out way too early. I mean, come on. It's still using DVD-ROM.

Wolf Dog
Originally posted by Avenger2.0
Backwards compatibilty or not, it was always gonna suck.

I agree. You guys should listen to this guy more, he knows what hes talking about.

StinkFist462
Originally posted by JKozzy
Coming out way too early. I mean, come on. It's still using DVD-ROM.

arent the next gens spose to last like 10 years? technology wise? and i hear the graphics are just basically PC style.

JKozzy
Yeah, using next-gen graphics cards. Though, DVD-ROM isn't probably going to last for 5 years, once blu-ray or HD-DVD come out. The difference in capacity is extraordinary, why Microsoft didn't use HD-DVD to compete with Blu-Ray is beyond me. Less space for their pretty graphics, is all. 9 gigs to 50 gigs? Not really much competition, provided Sony takes advantage of it.

jerlark386
Originally posted by JKozzy
Yeah, using next-gen graphics cards. Though, DVD-ROM isn't probably going to last for 5 years, once blu-ray or HD-DVD come out. The difference in capacity is extraordinary, why Microsoft didn't use HD-DVD to compete with Blu-Ray is beyond me. Less space for their pretty graphics, is all. 9 gigs to 50 gigs? Not really much competition, provided Sony takes advantage of it.

Provided game makers take advantage of it. Provided tvs take advantage of it.

The cost of HD-DVD is going to be significantly higher and chances are that cost is going to be carried over to the consumer and game producers.

Now considering..
the HD-TV's which are supposed to take advantage of high-res graphicsm are still expensive and not everyone has them yet. There are few games that come anywhere near to 50gigs, even the really pretty ones.

Playstation is still > Xbox in terms of popularity and whatnot.

Sony has release formats before that failed.(betamax anyone?)

The cost benefit might be just the edge Microsoft needs. I'd say microsoft is actually making a smart decision. Wait it out first and see how this format does. Then, just as soon as the 360 becomes old news release a new console thats even better than PS3. Then hopefull y by then, everyone and their household pet will have an HDTV, and we can all look at our spectactular eye candy.

JKozzy
Mm, but as it was said, 360 is supposed to last for 10 years, as the PS3 is supposed to, as the new Nintendo Revolution is supposed to. It'd be awhile when they were going to make a new consule. If the shelf life were going to be like 2-3 years, I would think of it as a smarter decision, but 10 years? Meh.. pick a format. It won't fail as long as you use it. Gamecube used the mini-dvds, nothing else did. It was a format, not widely used, but it worked for its intended purpose.

jerlark386
Oh it would be nice if every company, decided to stick with one format. But there's always another advancement. Another change.

But actually ten years sounds about right. Ten years is probably about the time it'll take for every household to have an hd-tv and kick that old CRT to the curb.

Maybe less, depending on the country. But it will take time. Consider how much time it took Microsoft to get where it is today.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.