Rated & Unrated Versions

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.



Wolfie
Have we yet reached the point where if a DVD release doesn't include an unrated version, it isn't a movie worth watching? It seems like every release now is released in its theatrical rated version and its special unrated version. And are those extra seven minutes really worth releasing two editions at the same time?

Nevermind
Originally posted by Wolfie
Have we yet reached the point where if a DVD release doesn't include an unrated version, it isn't a movie worth watching? It seems like every release now is released in its theatrical rated version and its special unrated version. And are those extra seven minutes really worth releasing two editions at the same time?

Yeah I know what you mean. It's a total rort when they release to DVDs like that. I like it when they release both version on the Same DVD set.

Cinemaddiction
I usually got the Unrated versions of movies, which are almost Horror films. The teeny bopper American Pie unrated bullshit is just more of what I dislike about the movie anyway.

As of late, the Unrated versions also have exclusive material in the bonus features.

Wolfie
Yeah, these typically are horror movies but they really cover all genres.

Check out the cover for the unrated version of The 40 Year-Old Virgin. "Unrated: Now lasts 17 minutes longer". It just sounds like a joke to me. As if 17 minutes is going to make all the difference.

Cinemaddiction
17 minutes in that film would just make it cruder, which is hard to believe. There was so much near misogyny in that film, that's what made me dislike it in the first place.

Cringe
I can hardly tell the difference in a movie. Whenever I watch an UNRATED movie I'm always trying to find just what exactly was too explicit for theaters erm

Wolfie
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
17 minutes in that film would just make it cruder, which is hard to believe. There was so much near misogyny in that film, that's what made me dislike it in the first place.
I think unrated versions worth making would have to add at least a half hour or close to it. 17 minutes is so insignificant, I'm surprised they would openly advertise it on the cover.

I usually get the unrated versions because the additions are always so insignificant, why not? And as you said, the distributors tend to make the rated version less desirable to own.

Originally posted by Cringe
I can hardly tell the difference in a movie. Whenever I watch an UNRATED movie I'm always trying to find just what exactly was too explicit for theaters erm
Badder Santa: The Unrated Version with the whopping ONE EXTRA SCENE! Plus seconds of new dialogue!

Apparently, from what I found, what was too explicit for theaters was Billy Bob Thornton stealing a car and walking around a house. Oh yes, and the word "shit" in a cop's dialogue.

thomasgeorge
yeah american pie uncut even know i love it is just like 4 mins diffrent

Dude111
Same with me...... I dont like censorship!!

I got 2 movies and I didnt know when I ordered them if it would be UNRATED or R as it didnt say on the tape box on amazon..


1) Caged Fury (1989) - This one DID say NON RATED and I was happy as this is the one I saw on TV....

2) Class of 1999 (1989) - I didnt know which this would be as it didnt say.... I WAS CERTAINLY GLAD IT WAS UNRATED! (Version I saw on TV)

Patient_Leech
The unrated version of Dumb & Dumber is not as good as the original. Sometimes things are cut for a good reason... because it simply isn't funny.

Dude111
Yes thats quite true!!!!!!

The shorter versions of THE SHINING (1980) are better than the full 144 Min one!! (More suspenseful,not as much is revealed)

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Cringe
I can hardly tell the difference in a movie. Whenever I watch an UNRATED movie I'm always trying to find just what exactly was too explicit for theaters erm

For marketing purposes "UnRated" has a double meaning. We quickly assume it means more explicit & graphic scenes & language.

However it can basically just simply mean that that version was un-rated, as in it was never reviewed by critics.

wicker_man
I'm still waiting for region 2 release of Nightbreed: The Directors Cut. So much so I am tempted to set up a Twitter account to tweet Clive Barker.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.