are we sci fi fans really geeks?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

kanis
starwars I read article somewhere saying that sci fi fans are geeks, that we spend more time talking, watching, reading and writing sci fi that is only fiction and that the fans are out raged to be labeled so are we rightly out raged to be labeled so.

Cinemaddiction
Pretty much.

Mandorallen
Labels are useless.

If we are geeks so what, a geek is only what someone defines as a geek.

IMO, a geek is someone who pays attention to detail and doesn't wear a mask to other people, pretending to be something that they are not.

If Sci-Fi is geeky, than im a GEEK!

Wolfie
Not necessarily.

You go to a sci-fi convention dressed as Chewbacca, more than likely, you are.

You own all the Star Wars and Star Trek DVDs and maybe have some decorative items (posters, cut-outs, toys) here and there, you're not a geek. You're just a fan of the genre and that's AOK.

Cletus-138
Not every sci-fi fan is, it depends.
But I'm guessing most of the people hanging around hear talking about there fave sci-fi movies all the time are total geeks.danceYou guys need to get a life!

velho

kanis
starwars We have a life us sci fi geeks have more interesting discussions about the things we enjoy watching from time to time, its better than talking about boring topics like politics and football.

dave_kodak
all the si-fi lovers i know are geeks, and im pround of it

grey fox
Geek , is a derogatory term used by people who have no minds of their own and decide that it is alright to rag on people who do what they want (IE have a brain) . I got called a geek , yet i barely watched or talked about sci-fi .

kanis
starwars But should we care about the more popular no brainers think though.

fruits
it all depends on how much you get into it

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Wolfie
Not necessarily.

You go to a sci-fi convention dressed as Chewbacca, more than likely, you are.

You own all the Star Wars and Star Trek DVDs and maybe have some decorative items (posters, cut-outs, toys) here and there, you're not a geek. You're just a fan of the genre and that's AOK.

I agree with Wolfie. If you like sci-fi, then you're not automatically a "geek." If you REALLY get into it and go to conventions dressed up or really believe in the Force or something, then I would say you're a geek.

Mac Murphy
I wouldn't go so far as to attend a convention because I honestly don't have the time but I like sci-fi and I body build, swim and box so can you refer to all sci-fi fans as geeks? Not unless you redefine the term geek.

dave_kodak
I wouldn't dress up or go to a "gathering", but i do know more then i should about sci-fi movies, indeed they rule, and i dont look like the "Geek"(textbook style-IE the one u see on tv), but still i cant help but feel that knowing most of a movies script in my head does make me somewhat of a geek, i know ur thinking "this guy has no life, i am cooler then him, party cuz he sucks", well its true, but i dont care.
I AM GEEK, SEE ME WATCH SCI-FI, AND PART MY HAIR!

kanis
starwars I would got to a convention but i wouldn't go dressed in as a klingon or a jedi I would go to see my favorite actors depending on what the sci fi is

eggmayo
You can be a geek for being clever or typing in 1337 too apparently.

Dordaness
Me and eggmayo are geeks so what? sorry if i get my kicks from learning C++ & about Telnet :-/

WindDancer
If Sci-fi & Fantasy = Geekness....then I take great pride in being a geek. yes

eggmayo
Originally posted by Dordaness
Me and eggmayo are geeks so what? sorry if i get my kicks from learning C++ & about Telnet :-/
Telnet is utterly f*cking useless though, remember?

dave_kodak
...lol-x0r, i do think your right about it being useless.

theReject
I know I am! big grin

Myth
Originally posted by Wolfie

I disagree. If you have Star Trek decorative items (or simply the DVDs), then you are a geek. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with being a geek. One of my best friends has a strong social life, a gf, and he does sports so his life is pretty normal in that aspect and everybody likes him. However, he is also a geek because he watches anime, collects posters with dragons, plays video games about 4 yours a day, and plays D & D. I think geek is kind of like what your interests are and what gets you excited. In fact, I consider myself a geek to an extent since I get overly excited about movies in general. But yeah, back to the point. People that are really into Sci Fi are geeks.

Cletus-138
Originally posted by kanis
starwars We have a life us sci fi geeks have more interesting discussions about the things we enjoy watching from time to time, its better than talking about boring topics like politics and football.

Well I agree that football sucks. But I thnk political discussions are more interesting and less pathetic than talking about your princess leah fantasies or wether Zergulathorpia is more igletogevian than Eminivianinikin's politotipacinana.

osama pimp taz youpi

wheelchairwhip

kanis
starwars Politics I was never really a princess leia fan more of a mara jade fan and I have no idea what the hello that is, the only politics i like is the politics that gets mocked in have i got news for you.

dave_kodak
starwars Politics I was never really a princess leia fan more of a mara jade fan and I have no idea what the hello that is, the only politics i like is the politics that gets mocked in have i got news for you.

lol, hahaha i understand what ur say'n.
its true, the only good politics is the one that gets mocked......
and yes we all know that football sucks, but on to a better topic!
why nerds rule so much?
is it because 1-we are better at alot of things?
2- we use big words to make people seem dumber?
3-every one knows that nerds are better at sex?
4-dilbert also rules?
5-because we will rise up and all shall bow before us MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!?
5-OMFG THERES A GIRL IN MY HOUSE TIME TO BREAK OUT THE TAU!
6-5 just sucks as a answer?
7-i should shut up because your all sick of this topic?

draconigena
Not all of us. Personally, I consider myself more of a nerd than a geek.

dave_kodak
what ever its the same thing

kanis
alucard Don't know though some people seperate the nerds from the geeks but I'm glad that their are worst things to be than a geek- for example a trainspotter.

dave_kodak
alucard Don't know though some people seperate the nerds from the geeks but I'm glad that their are worst things to be than a geek- for example a trainspotter.

hahaha thats so true, i'm glad that im a geek. and Dilbert rules

kanis
alucard Dilbert?

dave_kodak
yes u know dillbert, that show with that guy in the office, with wally and those other people

kanis
alucard No

dave_kodak
ohh well i tried

kanis
alucard What are your specific areas of expertise in sci fi, I mean what programs do know more than usual and that you know more about?

kanis
vampire Is this subject boring or is people ignoring this thread all together.

Stalker 360
star wars for me

JaehSkywalker
Star wars forever

K.Diddy
Pretty much

kanis
vampire My god people are actually back, yep star wars is forever.

Scarecrow756
are we sci fi fans really geeks?
Well I don`t really care being labeled as a geek. The world only labels us like this because they got nothing else better to do. But I say lets not let this put us down, we should be proud of what we are and not let anyone say otherwise. mad mad mad mad mad mad mad

Brute predator
Im a geek about the predator i know the society and origins

kanis
vampire Its always good to a have a speciallity mine i reckon is star wars. Because i have all the books and the soundtrack cd's well except for the proper soundtrack for a new hope.

TheFilmProphet
I suppose my specialty is Terminator, the whole universe just draws me in.

pr1983
Mine is Star Trek or the Alien movies...

Mišt
Originally posted by Cletus-138
But I'm guessing most of the people hanging around hear talking about there fave sci-fi movies all the time are total geeks.danceYou guys need to get a life!

So all the people here talking about their favourite comedies or action movies are geeks too? All the people who mod up their cars for higher performance are geeks as well? All the people talking about their favourite music are geeks too? The only reason sci fi is singled out is because it is more involving than other genres. A comedy for example, is a 2 hour film with a few laughs. Thats it. Watch it over and over and the jokes become stale and it isnt funny anymore. Sci fi doesnt get boring. You can market sci fi with merchandise, so we can be involved with it. Thats the only reason people are labelled as geeks, because they are more involved with their favourite movies than eveyone else is. No different than someone hanging up a few posters of their favourite music idol or slapping a bodykit on their car. Its a hobby and its something that interests us.

*ps I know I quoted an old post, but that comment was totally moronic.

TheFilmProphet

WrathfulDwarf
I'm a glutton for Sci-Fi and Fantasy. So yeah, I'm still damn proud to be call a geek.

G4Junkie
Yes we are Geeks, but are we so different from the sports fans who remember every statistic from every team ever... No... So, I'm a Geek and Proud...

SnakeEyes
Yes we are all geeks. And we should all be proud of it. Remember; the geeks can still get the chicks. smokin'

Konjammenson
No. I'm not one and I know lots of people who aren't. Of course, the genre has its stereotypes and thus most sci-fi fans are labeled geeks. I'm more a horror fan but I dabble in sci-fi as well.

Shalimar_fox
look just because you all like to watch stuff like that dose not mean your geeks,if anything those hard core sports meat heads need to be making these type of threads.I was joke about the sports fan,but no your not geeks

storm2516
Maybe, but who cares

Robby001
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Remember; the geeks can still get the chicks. smokin'

Yes remember return of the nerds. Yepp stick out tongue thats right wink nuf said.

vintageSW77
I love Star Wars more than the average dude but i wouldnt consider myself a SCI FI GEEK
I love Dr Who,the POT APES movies and the original Star Trek but the Next Gen and subsequent series plus Stargate,Farscape,Smallville etc BORE ME TO DEATH.

I have a freind who makes fun of my collection of Vintage SW figures and various other bits of Memorabillia...now he likes soccer...yeah soccer...a bunch of blokes running around with a football
he wears the shirt,buys the magazine,the books and has a miniature replica of his teams Stadium.....wheres the difference.
Oh yeah i have a hot girlfriend and he doesnt...thats about it.
I hate that Sci Fi Geek label but when you get dudes like this walking about pondering who erased Kamino from the Jedi Archives ill guess well always be tarred with the geek brush

though who wouldnt say no to a possessing a full Stormtrooper suit?

Strangelove
Fans are not
Superfans, are

Hwoarang
Yes you all are geeks.

BTW Vintge. Yes you are.

vintageSW77
Well rather a fan of a couple of sci fi movies than a character in a Playstation game eh

K.O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kanis
wolfwood I would also love to own a costume from starwars or star trek but i don't think i'd have the balls to wear it, possibly just at home but not outside in the streets.

vintageSW77
I have a Vader helmet ...i only wore it once in public after getting drunk at my pals and i wore it walking home round midnight.

my SW collection consists of a near full set of original complete vintage figures/the original vinyl albums,books,trading cards,poster magazines and a few autographs thats all...nothing from the prequels apart from the dvds....so i wouldnt say i was too obsessed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.