'The Prestige' - By Chris Nolan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mandorallen
I looked over this while browsing KMC, and It caught my interest. Directed by Chris Nolan, the same director and co-writer from Batman Begins. Based on the 1996 novel.

Seems interesting. I'll be sure to check it out,

http://imdb.com/title/tt0482571/

http://www.killermovies.com/p/theprestige/articles/5579.html

leana marie
sounds cool! happy

Mandorallen
Indeed.

But I hope Nolan can work as good with 3 well-known actors, at least as well as he did on Batman begins. Christopher Nolan will be writing the screenplay with his brother Jonathan Nolan, who helped write for Memento, so this should be very interesting. I'm probably going to end up reading the novel before too long.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
'The Prestige' is about rival magicians (Bale and Jackman) in turn-of-the-century London who battle each other for trade secrets. The rivalry is so intense that it turns them into murderers. The title refers to the residue left after a magician's successful trick. (Taken from IMDB)

I think this movie is going to be one of the best of the year. The cast is excellent: Christian Bale, David Bowie, Michael Caine, Hugh Jackman, Scarlett Johansson. Also, Nolan is forging one of the best flimographies of the Noughties: Memento, Insomnia, and Batman Begins were all excellent and original.

Anyway, the trailer is coming soon, but the movie is not due until October. Anyone else excited about this movie?

DarkWizard
Made a thread in the Sci-fi/Fantasy forum.

Merging...

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Why is this in a fan-boy forum? It's certainly not 'sci-fi', and it being 'fantasy' is also a moot point as not enough is known about it yet. Having the thread in this forum simply means that less people are going to read about it.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Also, Nolan is forging one of the best flimographies of the Noughties: Memento, Insomnia, and Batman Begins were all excellent and original.

Tell that to Erik Skjoldbjerg. As long as he doesn't incorporate jump cuts and non-sequential cut scenes, we'll be fine. They weren't there in "Batman Begins", but he's got a knack for that style of editing.

DarkWizard
Why is this in a fan-boy forum? It's certainly not 'sci-fi', and it being 'fantasy' is also a moot point as not enough is known about it yet. Having the thread in this forum simply means that less people are going to read about it.

Perhaps so. I'm doing my job. If you don't like it, too bad.

MildPossession
Look forwards to anything by Nolan.

SnakeEyes
I'll be looking forward to it. I like both Bale and Jackman as lead actors/rivals, that should be interesting. Michael Caine is always a plus as well. And Scarlett Johanssen shifty

And I suppose I like Chris Nolan as a director, judging by how much I liked his previous films.

Knightfall93
Christopher Nolan= God
Christian Bale= Jesus
Morgan Freeman, michael cain, gary Oldman= Archangels
Batman begins= DDivine Work
prestige= I can't wait!

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by DarkWizard
Perhaps so. I'm doing my job. If you don't like it, too bad.

You didn't answer my question; why is a movie that is not sci-fi, and is unlikely to be fantasy, in the 'Sci-Fi/Fantasy Forum'? Surely, it's your job to put threads in their correct place?

DarkWizard
You didn't answer my question; why is a movie that is not sci-fi, and is unlikely to be fantasy, in the 'Sci-Fi/Fantasy Forum'? Surely, it's your job to put threads in their correct place?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0482571/

Please inform me on what it says beside 'Genre'.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
'Action/Drama' and then some other things that I choose to ignore because I think they'll be proven wrong.

DarkWizard
'Action/Drama' and then some other things that I choose to ignore because I think they'll be proven wrong.

A movie about Magicians is what I qualify as 'Fantasy'.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Do you really think Nolan is making 'Harry Potter Part Deux'?

DarkWizard
Do you really think Nolan is making 'Harry Potter Part Deux'?

No.

But after all, it did win the 'World Fantasy' award.

It may be proven wrong, I haven't read the book. But I will change it if I find it necessary.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
In all honesty, I didn't even know it started as a book. I just think this thread would be wider read - and discussed - if it was in the 'Movie Discussion' forum.

DarkWizard
In all honesty, I didn't even know it started as a book. I just think this thread would be wider read - and discussed - if it was in the 'Movie Discussion' forum.

I appreciate the honesty.

Think of it this way. If someone has something useful, or important to say about the film, they will go look for it in this forum.

But to get ack on track, The cast looks great. And John nolan is helping out chris with the screenplay.

Knightfall93
Chris Nolan is GOD

Dark Adventurer
If you think it'll be cool to see Nikola Tesla in The Prestige, you ought to check out WONDER OF THE WORLDS by Sesh Heri.

Leggy_n_Merry
Oh yay there is a thread for this film. I would have thought more people would have posted in here..

It looks really good. And yeah the cast is great. Three of my favourite actors are in it so that's very good yes I already said this in the 'The Illusionist' thread, but nevermind.. it's more relevant in this thread anyway.

DanZeke25
Looks like it might be pretty good, but I think I'll wait to rent it.

Solo
This is definitely not in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre. I ignore the whole categorizing/rating system on imdb. Most of the people who vote and/or post there are morons.

I think it looks alright.

Leggy_n_Merry
Originally posted by Solo
This is definitely not in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre. I ignore the whole categorizing/rating system on imdb. Most of the people who vote and/or post there are morons.

I think it looks alright.

I vote on imdb! I'm not a moron am I? cry

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by Leggy_n_Merry
I vote on imdb! I'm not a moron am I? cry

Not if you look anything like Scarlett Johanssen, you're not.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Dr. Zaius
Not if you look anything like Scarlett Johanssen, you're not.

That's not true. She could still be a moron, but just a ridiculously good-looking one with fantastic boobs.

Oh yeah, let's put this in the general movie discussion forum.

Wider audience = good.

Dusty
Closing, I believe there is a thread in the MDF.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.