Freaks discussion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

kmcdude
This is a 1930's movie featuring real life Freaks, I have heard it used to be banned and still is in some countries,I picked up this movie on dvd today and am yet to watch it.......which is weird cause I have been looking for it a looonnnggg time laughing out loud I will be back with my thoughts and will answer questions if anyone is interested...

Has anyone else seen this movie? If so what did you think?

but the main thing I want to discuss is the banning rumours I have heard about this movie,I guess the obvious reason would be cause they were real freaks,but I find that weird........then again back then.......I dont know eek!

b-dan
real freaks thats pritty funny the movie indestry should get them for the messed up killers instead of normal ones who do a shit job at acting like a freak

kmcdude
laughing out loud Nice point........I am not being mean or anything but there is a spellcheck next to where you click submit reply wink

b-dan
naw no offence taken i get that all the time

kmcdude
Well I watched it and this is a very interesting little movie indeed.I found some of the freaks to be fairly disturbing and found myself guiltily laughing at some of them.......which is almost what this movie seems to want you to do.....I can see where the banning came from as I seen the freaks being made fun of and joked at in the movie.......I honestly wonder how they got away with some of the things they called them,while I will probably not view it again for a long time,I picked it up cheap and if you can buy this movie cheap I suggest checking it out....

MildPossession
No rumours, it was indeed banned, banned here in England for donkeys. Apparently it is still banned in a few countries, anyone?

The film didn't show them in a negative light at all imo, I find it a piece of history on film, you get to see amazing forms of deformity that you don't see a lot of now.

The film shows most of them in a decent light(normal humans are the worst in this film), especially at such a time the film was made, that's how people reacted to them when they didn't understand such people.

I certainly didn't laugh, or even 'guiltily laughed'...

Got it on dvd, one of my favourites.

kmcdude
Originally posted by MildPossession
No rumours, it was indeed banned, banned here in England for donkeys. Apparently it is still banned in a few countries, anyone?

The film didn't show them in a negative light at all imo, I find it a piece of history on film, you get to see amazing forms of deformity that you don't see a lot of now.

The film shows most of them in a decent light(normal humans are the worst in this film), especially at such a time the film was made, that's how people reacted to them when they didn't understand such people.

I certainly didn't laugh, or even 'guiltily laughed'...

Got it on dvd, one of my favourites.

I just had to laugh at that real skinny guy and them 3 kid,people with the funny heads,the triplets u know the ones I mean laughing out loud

I felt bad after it though embarrasment

Spiral Goddess
I recorded some of it a few years ago.
I love the ending. I heard about a different ending.

kmcdude
Originally posted by Spiral Goddess
I recorded some of it a few years ago.
I love the ending. I heard about a different ending.

Well,It's not so much a different ending they just take parts out of it.

I have the dvd and it has the ''so called'' 3 alternate endings,however nothing new is added.

But they do say in a documantry that they made all the freaks jump on her at the end but changed there mind,so they stuck with her just screaming.

Spiral Goddess
What were the 3 alternate endings ?

The other ending I heard of involved her lover singing in a high pitched voice because he was castrated.

kmcdude
What were the 3 alternate endings ?

The other ending I heard of involved her lover singing in a high pitched voice because he was castrated.

Yes it is true,they were going to have ''hercules'' and ''cleopatra'' together at the end.

Spiral Goddess
I also don't know if this was an alternate ending, but I read that
Cleopatra was forced to wander the world with a man riding her back with spurs. I think that's what the Freaks movie was based on.

kmcdude
I also don't know if this was an alternate ending, but I read that
Cleopatra was forced to wander the world with a man riding her back with spurs. I think that's what the Freaks movie was based on.

Yes,it was not a ending but it was definitely based on that.

Spiral Goddess
Originally posted by kmcdude
Yes,it was not a ending but it was definitely based on that.

Was I off a little bit ? I think I got the description of Spurs right.

thomasgeorge
freaks im a freak when i want 2 be ok happy now

tabby999
the movie is pretty cool, my friend has it on DVD

warrior woman
I have an old postcard from the 1800s with a woman with no arms, in a fancy dress, sitting on a table fanning herself with a fan held in her toes. It was quite an industry then and into the 30s. They made a goodliving on their accidents of birth. They had to eat too, and many of them supported families. Ing and chang were siamese twin brothers who went on to marry and have tons of kids. Happy Dance sorry to ramble smokin' lol

BackFire
This movie was awesome. Just saw it last night.

LaHaine
jesus christ. i need this movie

Espantada23
By freaks do we mean people who are disfigured and impaired?If so that pretty ****ed up...I think I heard of this movie a while ago...doesn't really interest me though.

vintageSW77
Ive always been fascinated by FREAKS since i saw a photo of it in a horror movie book i was bought by my mum when i was a kid.
I got to see it when the ban was lifted back in the early 90s and it didnt dissapoint.

A clip
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/213808/freaks/

A link to the cast and what happened to them.
http://www.freaks-themovie.com/

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.