Cover Art from Canadian DVD different?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JediLikeToDance
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000AOTUA2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

...I prefer the top just saying "Widescreen" in English, without French.

And right below Revenge of the Sith is the French title. Looks ugly, imo.

What do you all think? This is the Canadian version for all Canadians...

Adamwankenobi
I concur.

darthvader_fan
i think it looks different

JediLikeToDance
Originally posted by darthvader_fan
i think it looks different

It is indeed.

FOX is creating all Canadian DVDs in bilingual format, due to the French-Canadians. Although I can understand why they'd want to read it in French, some DVDs have dual-sided covers, allowing you to flip them over and see French or Spanish. But FOX has to please everyone, so...

Every Canadian who buys Star Wars III on DVD in Canada, legitimately, will have to see that cover. stick out tongue

chinabing
Hmmm... La Ravanche Des Sith. I know some French!

So does Sith have a masculine or feminine article?

BAILY
What ****ing shit is this???

Barker
Originally posted by JediLikeToDance
What do you all think?
I think you should Hop the Border and Buy the U.S. Version

BAILY
I hate this bilingualness we have here in Canada on DVD packagings...... you know what? I say there should be a flip cover with English on one side and French on the other.. or better yet.. release separate English and French covers.. because as an English Speaker it really pisses me off, not that I have anything against you Frenchmen. My roommate and best bud is French and he is a great guy. But this whole Language issue on DVD covers bothers me to no end!!! it ruins it by taking away from the art of it... i think we should have the right to have a certain amount of English covers and French covers produced. So everyone is happy in the end!! Who's with me??

BAILY
Doh!

JediLikeToDance
Originally posted by BAILY
I hate this bilingualness we have here in Canada.. it is every province that needs to have both English and French.. but in Quebec it is all French.... you know what? I say there should be a flip cover with English on one side and French on the other.. or better yet.. release separate English and French covers.. because as an English Speaker it really pisses me off, not that I have anything against you Frenchmen. My roommate and best bud is French and he is a great guy. But this whole Language issue on DVD covers bothers me to no end!!! it ruins it by taking away from the art of it... i think we should have the right to have a certain amount of English covers and French covers produced. So everyone is happy in the end!! Who's with me??

Hear hear. Oh well, I pre-ordered my copy for $19.99 at Futureshop.ca.

But it does look ugly.

Oh well, won't affect the movie itself anyway.

BAILY
Unless Darth Vader starts speaking English and French at the same time!! If you are from the U.S., why you getting the CDN version??

JediLikeToDance
Unless Darth Vader starts speaking English and French at the same time!! If you are from the U.S., why you getting the CDN version??

Uhhhh....guess I never changed my location. stick out tongue

Da preacher
Jeez, it's the same in my country.
Then it's like English, Dutch and French crapped one one Cover.
U don't hear me complainin' or makin' threads about it.

BAILY
But we hear you bitching about it in our Canadian thread...

Da preacher
yeah, and i don't want no posts that regard me with the word Biatch in it. Comprendre?

BAILY
I didnt say Biatch.. I said *****.. and if you stop bitching, I will stop calling you out..

actarus
I am a french Canadian and quite frankly, the stupid bilingual cover art agravates me. I own the saga, here is how the covers go :

Episode 1 : english only, purchased in Quebec (majoritarily french speaking province I was happy to be able to get an english only cover)
Episode 2 : Bilingual but double sided (one french, one english and the english side has a marking telling you that the cover can be reversed hiding part of the original artwork... that I can live with)
Episode 3 : Bilingual not double sided
Episode 4 : same as ep 2
Episode 5 : same as ep 2
Episode 6 : same as ep 2

what really bums me out in all of this is the god damn bilingual spine of the dvd cover, I line up my dvd's and the arrangement looks like shit because of episode 3. I dont feel that the saga is complete in my library because of this major SNAFU on 20th century fox's part... Stupid Quebec laws for the french language piss me off big time.

Here is yet another example, I wanted to purchase Generation 1 Transformers re-issue figures from toysrus.ca (note the .ca) they can't be found anywhere in my area and I found out why : turns out that the english only packaging makes them illegal to be sold in Quebec... for a god damn toy!!! I mean what's the deal with that, it's not like I am driving to the US for a few hours one given day and am trying to bring booze through the border!!! (now that is illegal) I am just trying to buy something from a Canadian website, within the same country and I'm not allowed to have the goods shipped here... I mean what's next, provincial border patrol that inspects what will be purchased in another province that people bring back home??

madThis is ridiculous... all because whiney idiots that refuse to learn to speak english find that it's incredibly important to keep the french language present for our culture and heritage. I agree that bilingual writing on product packaging should exist, but to go and make it impossible for someone that understands english to purchase a product (on his own free will knowing the packaging is english)within the same country all because he lives in Quebec is discriminatory, I mean with this purchase, I could have made a contribution to our economy by paying Canadian sales taxes on the product and all... People, don't move to Quebec, it sucks being here. I know I could have had the stuff I wanted shipped from the US but the Canadian price at the time compared with the exchange rate and free shipping made it a no brainer for me to want to buy it from here and not the US.

Sorry if the thread is long and I do know that this is my first post ever here but I had to get this off my chest! smile

roughrider
I hate this bilingualness we have here in Canada on DVD packagings...... you know what? I say there should be a flip cover with English on one side and French on the other.. or better yet.. release separate English and French covers.. because as an English Speaker it really pisses me off, not that I have anything against you Frenchmen. My roommate and best bud is French and he is a great guy. But this whole Language issue on DVD covers bothers me to no end!!! it ruins it by taking away from the art of it... i think we should have the right to have a certain amount of English covers and French covers produced. So everyone is happy in the end!! Who's with me??

HEAR HEAR! I'm not alone! I have been complaining about this for a few years now. It used to be only half the major studios did this, but more are starting to - Warner Bros. is the latest. Disney and Sony/Columbia still do not, thankfully, and Universal seems to be stopping lately. I have actually called local offices for Paramount and Universal in Toronto to complain about how crammed the packaging looks, and told them I wouldn't buy their DVDs up here (people on the phone seemed to agree with me) - keep the complaints coming, and they will stop. This is just about saving money I'm sure; not having to print two different labels.
I am used to bilingual packaging on neccessary items like food, detergent etc. but those are disposable items, not collectable ones. And it's not like we have bilingual book covers and movie posters. I'm not against our dual language system, understand. But I am a fan of design, and art designs on DVDs are ruined by having to put all the type on twice in two languages, creating a crammed look.
Tomorrow I will go to Buffalo for a hockey game, and pick up an English-only copy of Batman Begins. Ep. III - still think I will wait for the six-film box set.

((The_Anomaly))
i agree, my collection dose not look complete now cause of the french/ english spine.

seriously, wtf?

why the hell would fox do this, you buy all the other ones that look a specific way then they screw you over.

the SW saga is meant to be a collection, now eps. III looks so outta place. i think i might print off the just english version from the internet.

the stupid bi-lingual laws in canada strike again. so F**in annoying...

BAILY
Hey you all... we are all pissed about it.. but there aint a hell of a lot we can do.. but not buy the CDN disk and order the US one online...lol...

Stun
or you can order the UK version (Region 2) imho, comparing it to R1, i think its the best format out there

DeVi| D0do
What's the difference?

Stun
actually, come to think of it, its probably just the same. Maybe R2 looks better on a R2 DVD player, and i played R1 on the PS2. Only real difference is that the R2 disc looks more genuine - cant quite explain that onestick out tongue but hey

DeVi| D0do
laughing out loud R4 for the win! stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.