Lukes "finished training" from yoda

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok

Bicnarok

Darth_Veav
Who Cares?

Ushgarak
Luke wasn't powerful enough to do that.

Adamwankenobi
I concur.

Sesse
But whatabout lightsaber block? Eaven Kenobi dude could pull it off? But hey, what the hell... Luke threw his saber away. We should assume that he tried actual saber throw, but failed miserably and did a good job in hiding it.

Council#13
maybe he didnt see the sith lightning coming and thats why he had no chance to activate his lightsaber? and the pain was too intense to do anything but cry for daddy?

eXSBass
To tell the truth. Yoda wasnt as powerful as he seemed. He had his arsed handed to him when he got electricuted. So maybe thought:
"**** teaching Luke the trick I will. Failed on me it did, fail on Luke it maybe"

So there you go. But to tell the truth, Luke has to learn from his mistakes. I mean, which idiot gives lip to the Emperor, throws his lightsabre away and stands there asif its Guy Fawkes Night?

Bespin Bart
Um, no, not really, Bass. It's not that Yoda wasn't powerful, it was more Sidious was just as powerful.

Tangible God

amity75
I wonder what sith lightning feels like? It's probably like biting into silver foil if you have metal fillings in your teeth.

Bespin Bart
x5. stick out tongue

DarkYoda
Okay, I'm not gonna read all the other posts in this thread... but simple answer: Yoda did not tell Luke to confront the Emperor... Yoda couldn't beat Palps back in Episode III... even if Luke learned the trick somehow, there is now way he could have defeated Sidious. Luke never wanted to confront the Emperor...

"That was why you couldn't destroy me. That's why you won't bring me to your emperor now..."

See... he didn't want to confront Palpatine. He confronted his father to confront his father to save him. If you watch the rebel briefing scene the rebels wanted to destroy the Death Star II in order to kill the Emperor. Luke understood this...

"Soon I'll be dead... and you with me!"

Bespin Bart
Makes sense to me.

Ushgarak
Luke DID want to confront the Emperor as well, though. He seriously wanted to try it.

"Soon I'll be dead, and you with me" rewfers to nothing more than the destruction of the Death Star. By that point ("Then my father is truly dead"wink Luke had given up hope of redeeming Vader; he was just desperate once lightninged.

Bespin Bart
But was it Yoda's intention?

Ushgarak
Oooh, no, no indiciation of that.

It is important that that part of it all was Luke's achievement alone. Yoda clearly stated that a Jedi was needed to defeat Vader and his master; they had given up on the Prophecy.

DarkYoda
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Luke DID want to confront the Emperor as well, though. He seriously wanted to try it.

"Soon I'll be dead, and you with me" rewfers to nothing more than the destruction of the Death Star. By that point ("Then my father is truly dead"wink Luke had given up hope of redeeming Vader; he was just desperate once lightninged.

I agree that Luke probably wanted to confront the Emperor... but he wanted his father's help. He knew that it would be damn near impossible for him, by himself, to defeat both Sith lords.

ArthasKnight
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Oooh, no, no indiciation of that.

It is important that that part of it all was Luke's achievement alone. Yoda clearly stated that a Jedi was needed to defeat Vader and his master; they had given up on the Prophecy.

Who says they'd given up on the Prophecy? I look at it this way.

Kenobi said that Luke had to face Darth Vader again. He knew that, given Luke's connection with Anakin and Anakin's feelings for Luke as a father, that Luke could have some influence on Vader. Maybe he even suspected that Luke could turn Anakin, who knows? But I don't think Kenobi had quite given up on Anakin yet. He knew the Prophecy and he knew that only Anakin could defeat Sidious, so therefore he knew that Luke was needed to unfluence Anakin and turn him back to the light so he could kill Sidious.

DarkYoda
"He's more machine now than man... twisted and evil!"

Tangible God
Originally posted by ArthasKnight
Who says they'd given up on the Prophecy? I look at it this way.

Kenobi said that Luke had to face Darth Vader again. He knew that, given Luke's connection with Anakin and Anakin's feelings for Luke as a father, that Luke could have some influence on Vader. Maybe he even suspected that Luke could turn Anakin, who knows? But I don't think Kenobi had quite given up on Anakin yet. He knew the Prophecy and he knew that only Anakin could defeat Sidious, so therefore he knew that Luke was needed to unfluence Anakin and turn him back to the light so he could kill Sidious. When Obi-Wan said, "You must face Darth Vader again." He may have been saying that because now, with him and Yoda dead, Luke was the only one with ANY chance to take on Vader and Palpatine.

Canadadude
In my opinion I thought Luke just got cocky after beating Vader. He did not listen to Yoda carefully and underestimated the Emperor's power. He should not have thrown his lightsaber away.

Sesse
Perhaps his faith in the light was getting way too great for his own good...

He went to Jabba's palace unarmed.
He made the Ewoks to worship CP0 with his telekinetic abilities.
He went to confront Vader unarmed on purpose (He gave it away to the officer)
And he was able to pull all of this without his saber as a primary plan!

Last time he was quick to ignite the humstick, he lost his hand!

Perhaps he thought that everything will go just like in movies if just goes there at peace, passively... Like Yoda dude told him to do.

terd40
if you played kotor2 and remember kreya talking about jedi's and their lightsabers, to many jedi were too attached to them and it weakened them. but honestly can you guys picture the look on obi and yoda's face if they could see luke toss it aside. "strong in the force is he, though the brightest saber ive met he is not."

Bicnarok

Ushgarak
Jedi fight in order to defend and protect. Sith are a threat to that by default.

And Yoda gave fair warning of the power of the Emperor; specifically talking about what he could do would have been rather hopeless, I feel. Odd thing to want him to do.

Luke throwing away his sabre, though, was just an act of defiance. That he refused to kill Vader was an act of Light-Sided pity, but the Emperor still needed to be killed and chucking the sabre wasn't going to help with that- not that Luke could have done it anyway.

Bicnarok
Yep defiance certainly runs in the Skywalker family.

General Deprus
George Lucas had inventet the absorb later than the ROTJ movie.

Lord Mader
Umm i think later on luke does learn how to absorb lightning

Bicnarok
I wonder where Yoda learned it, did he flirt with the dark side

Dr.Gumby
my thought on it is maybe that yoda and ben knew that luke could never defeat sidious and that yodas training was just to get luke to a point where he could at least handle vader enough to turn him back so he could fullfill the prophecy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.