Should moderators give people time to explain?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cringe
Instead of automatically closing a thread why dont they give the people or thread creator a chance to say why it should stay and not be closed?

I mean if it's REALLY bad and innapropriate it should automatically go but if it's questionable shouldn't they see what the person who created the thread has to say? Maybe they could come to some conclusion where the content in the thread had to be toned down but not closed.

Who agrees?

Deano
i agree

GCG
It would be fair if it deserves an explanation, yet if the thread causes too much furore among the members i would assume it gets closed.

Its ultimatly up to MODS to close a thread and it may be done without notice.

It would be interesting having a KMC court-room.

Mandorallen
Originally posted by Cringe
Instead of automatically closing a thread why dont they give the people or thread creator a chance to say why it should stay and not be closed?

I mean if it's REALLY bad and innapropriate it should automatically go but if it's questionable shouldn't they see what the person who created the thread has to say? Maybe they could come to some conclusion where the content in the thread had to be toned down but not closed.

Who agrees?

IF the right mods are chosen and have a perfectly good reason, than the closed thread does not need to be "explained". Plus, If you really need to explain anything, then that means that something poses as a problem, so the mods recognize that problem and fix it. If you REALLY want to explain anything, just PM the moderator with an explination, and if your explination is logical and benifits the forums for a good reason, then they should open it back up. not to mention 9 out of 10 times a mod tells you why it was in his/her best interest to close the thread.

Cinemaddiction
^ thumb up

Trust a mod's judgment.

StinkFist462
why should they? rules are rules. break them and there are consequences.

Lana
When threads are closed, it's for a reason.

TwisterGameX
If you want a reason then pm them after it's closed for a reason, and discuss if it is fair...if you get banned then it must of been bad.

Cringe
ok

Deus Ex
If a moderator is in a position of closing threads for the wrong reasons and this is such a problem that is ruins your entire life (Yeah right) then perhaps it would be okay to explain things.

Otherwise, suck it up and move on. No closed thread causes me grief.

Clovie
when they're closing a thread and I don't understand/know their reasons, I'm just PMing the mod who did it.

EsteemedLeader
Hm, they closed my 'Homer Simpson versus everybody!' in the comic book versus forum thread for absolutely no reason...

Clovie
Homer Simpson is comic?

Ms Flower
I disagree. the mods know whats appropriate and whats not. they can close at will and do so when its in the forums best interest. I recall times where warnings have been giving by our kmc mods to the posters to clam down or the thread would be closed. few times it has worked and the thread remained opened, most of those times that I seen though, the posters ignored or carried on as though no warning was giving. So why wait for explanation. our mods have lives that dont include the Internet and to take up time reading shit explanations would be stupid.

I think if they feel it should be closed then do it. the thread starter or posters can PM the why question later if its to heartbreaking and hard to understand.

Koala MeatPie
One of my threads didn't only get closed.... it got deleted alltogether.

It was about how to make mustard gas... napalm, firecrackers / fireworks.

Not all where of my contribution I must add.

StinkFist462
hmm i wonder why it got closed. napalm and mustard gas are pretty um... dangerous? damn near illegal. think about it.

Hegemon875
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f76/t372892.html

Should the thread have been closed?

Should I have been givin the chance to respond?

I did send the mod a pm, two in fact never recieved a reply. Just wanted to hear some other peoples opinions.

Ms Flower
my opinion...

1. yes it was rightly closed. No reason to open a thread questioning a mods abilities that way...or anyway for that matter. if you have an issue with her and dont think she is treating you or anyone fairly...PM RAZ.

2. lil b is very busy and isnt able to reply as fast as you might have wanted her too.

3. No reason for you to respond....case closed. to respond is arguing the point...use PMs for that.

kmcdude
I still think the closing of my 1st thread was pretty harsh....

tlbauerle
If anything...MODs can explain their reasoning when they close a thread...which I seen done often. I don't think closing a thread should be something left to commitee.

Dexx

laughing out loud stick out tongue

so there should in fact be two stages of thread closing, right?
the first one is the documentation stage....where the mod actually questions the reason behind the thread...and then the second stage of actually closing it.
yeah....good luck in your quest

tlbauerle
Three....the rebuttal

Four....the mod says STFU!

Snoopbert
Originally posted by Hegemon875

I did send the mod a pm, two in fact never recieved a reply. Just wanted to hear some other peoples opinions. Here's my opinion/observation: She rarely moderates the Art forum. She is rather busy IRL and should probably be put onto a hiatus and her specific forum's that she moderates given a new moderator until she has actually settled down. No use having a mod moderate something is she is here 3% of her time. Moderating does require a bit more than that.

Originally posted by Ms Flower
my opinion...

1. yes it was rightly closed. No reason to open a thread questioning a mods abilities that way...or anyway for that matter. if you have an issue with her and dont think she is treating you or anyone fairly...PM RAZ.

2. lil b is very busy and isnt able to reply as fast as you might have wanted her too.

3. No reason for you to respond....case closed. to respond is arguing the point...use PMs for that. Lil Bitchiness doesn't seem to respond to PM's that are questioning her. I've sent them on occassion and only on two did I get a reply, but it was completely off-topic. There was the n00bslayer incident as well she replied, but she was defending her 'decision'.

So, I belive he was justified in that attempt at getting an answer, at least that time. Afterall, if PM's go ignored, that phrase "Use PM's" is completely and utterly useless.

As for the thread topic:
Actually, this idea isn't terrible. Mods -should- give people time to explain, under special circumstances. If a thread is being taken over between two people's flame war, why not just try and resolve the war instead of closing their battleground?

If it's a thread such as "ROTFL!!!!11!!! ANcan b so h0t!!!!111!" then yeah, that deserves no time to explain anything because it's all in the title as it is.

Fire
Well people should learn to trust mods their judgement, tho would be neat if mods would reply to PMs

Nevermind
Originally posted by Fire
Well people should learn to trust mods their judgement, tho would be neat if mods would reply to PMs

Mods reply to PMs. Paola has reply to mine when I find mishaps in the forum, and when Cine was here, well he didn't so much as reply, but he saw them and fix mishaps too.

Fire
sure they reply to my PMs as well, Being polite usually helps a lot

PS: great sig of an amazin movie

lil bitchiness

I did send the mod a pm, two in fact never recieved a reply. Just wanted to hear some other peoples opinions.

I told you this many times - if you have a problem with the thread I have closed, use the PMs.

As for the explanations - No, the moderators closing the thread must have had a good reason to do so.
Allowing the person to explain why he/she has opened the thread which the moderator has deemed to be inapropriate is leaving the thread for a massive flame fest.

Such things will lead to arguments between mods and members and members and other members. It will cause arguments - it has happened numerous times before.

Therefore, if you disagree with mods decision about a closing a thread, PM the mod in question, explain the situation. If the mod agrees, he/she can re-open the thread.

Its simple.

Hegemon875
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I told you this many times - if you have a problem with the thread I have closed, use the PMs.

As for the explanations - No, the moderators closing the thread must have had a good reason to do so.
Allowing the person to explain why he/she has opened the thread which the moderator has deemed to be inapropriate is leaving the thread for a massive flame fest.

Such things will lead to arguments between mods and members and members and other members. It will cause arguments - it has happened numerous times before.

Therefore, if you disagree with mods decision about a closing a thread, PM the mod in question, explain the situation. If the mod agrees, he/she can re-open the thread.

Its simple.

Sorry but I dont remember you ever telling me to PM you about anything. Anyway personal experience had taught me that PMing a mod and getting a reply is as likely as praying to god and gettin an answer from him personally.

Storm
I answer every single PM I receive!

lil bitchiness
Sorry but I dont remember you ever telling me to PM you about anything. Anyway personal experience had taught me that PMing a mod and getting a reply is as likely as praying to god and gettin an answer from him personally.

I must have. And If I have not, then appologies, and please PM me or Raz if you have a problem about the thread I have closed, or the way I mod.

Lana
Originally posted by Storm
I answer every single PM I receive!

As do I...the only PMs I don't respond to are the random ones that are "hey you want to talk" from people I don't even know.

WindDancer

The issue that we have in the Anime/Manga forum is this:

We have 3 official threads for DBZ. I posted links and always remind visitors and regulars to use them. However, we always have some member coming in and starts to post this..

"GOKU VS VEGATA WHO WINSS THE FOUGHT????????"

And it continues to repeat itself over and over again. Mysteriously the member never post again. So what is there to explain or give a chance to? It has to be closed. Is pointless...

Raz
OK, I think this thread has served it's purpose.

Now the conclusion. When a mod closes a thread and you disagree, then you try talking to them via PMs. If you're still upset about the decision, then your final option would be to contact me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.