Read the book?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mah
How many of you (who have seen the film), have actually read the book?

Ushgarak
Well, I've read it, of course!

Palanfirith
not all of them.... big grin
there are over 20 books you know....

Corran
I've read the books that are being made into the trilogy of films, oh and the Hobbit too.
I'd have to say I really enjoyed the books.

L.E.
i dont think the movie would have made so much sense to someone who didnt read the book...
but i dotn know because i did big grin

Dexx
well i saw the movie before i read the books...and it was ok.
Afterwards i enjoyed the LOTR books. Now i'm reading the Hobbit and i'm planning on reading silmarillion wich will be the best of what JRRT wrote

mah
silmarillion is great, but it's pretty heavy, so don't read it in a place were you can't concentratesmile

Dexx
yeah...but the stories are great, i've been told smile

Captain REX
Read the Hobbit, read Fellowship, read Two Towers, read Return of the King. Starting Silmarillion.

Mujaffa
read the hobitt, the "main" book, starting on silmarillion very soon

LanceWindu
Did you know that Jack Osbourne (son of Ozzy Osbourne) has the 1st edition LOTR books???

Mujaffa
he does??? well he looks like an ******* anywa though

LanceWindu
Your just saying that because he has the prized books and you don't.

Mujaffa
yeah.. but he really looks like one

LanceWindu
He doesn't look like an *******, he looks like a rowdy kid.

mah
how did he get them?

LanceWindu
From a friend, maybe from a collectible store, from his dad for when he used to own them.

I don't know.

Mujaffa
well i don't paint my fingernails like he does.. what a pantsy

LanceWindu
Just because he paints his fingernails doesn't make him a pantsy.

Ozzy does it, the guys in Blink 182 do it, Papa Roach boys do it. Just believe me ROCKERS AND ROCK ENTHUSIASTS PAINT THEIR NAILS BLACK!!!

Captain REX
That's still really weird.

Tahnee
smile I own the books and I've read them all...aswell as seeing the movie 19 times but hey....

Mujaffa
back to the sick painting rockers??
ozzy's old and weird

Dejio
Ozzy's old and wierd, yeah. But I happen to like the guy. He's a rock icon.

Anyway, I've read the books about six years before the movie. And I loved the movie! What great adaptation.

You know, it's always better to watch the movie first before reading the book. Why? Because most of the times you'll just be dissappointed with the book adaptation to film.
But LOTR is an exception. The film almost matches the book experience. Can't wait for the other two films...

Mujaffa
how old are you anyway???
i read the book the week before it turned up at the movies

A.D. Skinner
( Kicking thread back to the top )

I read the books back when I was in 7th grade...and after seeing the movies..I wanted to revisit them. Now that we don't have any more movies to look forward to...we are left with our DVDs as well as our books.

I for one am re-reading each of the Tolkien books and remember things that I had so long ago forgotten about.

sauron
whoah smile jumped up 56 pages big grin what a leap!!

yeah ive read them big grinbig grin i think they are the greatest books ever written *tries to apologise to lord god, as the bible is looking at me weird*

A.D. Skinner
Oh I think even God himself would agree that the Tolkien books have earned their spot right next to the Bible.

Tolkien in a way is God, for he created his own world, filled it with such vastness and gave us all something to dream about !

sauron
*watches as the lord smites AD into the ground for blasphemy*

hmmm.....*takes out mace* leave assitant director alone!!! *gets lightning bolted....is metal so he attracts more*

A.D. Skinner
Picks self up...sorry about that Lord ! I was just making a analogy...a poor one...but still...

sauron
cough cough get back up

A.D. Skinner
Okay Folks...thank you for coming to the Skinner show...

Tonight we have a very special guest...From the Tolkien books himself---Sauron !

( Audience claps in approval )

So...Sauron...tell us what which of the Tolkien books are your favorite ?

sauron
well first i would like to say thank you skinner for letting me come

although i was nervous incase this was actually area fifty one and you and your government friends were going to chop me up

i would have to say my favourite is FOTR as thats the one where they are all scared of me...TTT i get forgotten for saruman..and i die in ROTK so well its FOTR for me....although after i finished ROTK i just had to say there were no hard feelings between me and that little hobbit *twitches*

A.D. Skinner
Oh you mean that Frodo character ? Yes, well he will be on the show somewhere down the road.

So Sauron...tell us why is it that you wanted middle earth ????

sauron
well.....i didnt really want middle earth,,,,but you know how it is being a dark lord...no income, and i heard property values have SHOT up and are still rising.....so i thought maybe i could defeat now...and sell later.....as i didnt have any money to but as ring was quite expensive.....

A.D. Skinner
Yes..the Ring ! Let us talk about that for a moment here...so now when did you get the idea of forging this one ring ???

sauron
well....you see....its hard for me to say this on national television....but well i was i nlove with gil galad, and this ring was...well i was going to propose......i invited him round for a 'party' but the stuid elf bought all his friends....and his 'significant other' elendil...who i got jealous of and killed......but apparently this was some sort of open realtionship as isildur got kinda angry and took my ring....not before i gave gil galad a last hug...accidentally brutaly crushing him......

A.D. Skinner
*nervous look comes across the audience*

Well...why don't we take a commercial break here, and we will be right back with your favorite Dark Lord Sauron !

*Breaks to commercial*

Sauron...you were going to propose to Gil Galad ????

sauron
are you making fun of my elf lord?

A.D. Skinner
No no..not at all

*commerical breaks are over*

Okay folks..we are back, and I am here with the one and only Sauron ! You know him from the Tolkien books...the Dark Lord himself.

So Sauron...how long did it take for you to forge this ring ???

Discos
*backstage*

Discos - erm, I have read the Silmarillion + 3 LOTR books

*jeery springer show style*....Saury! Saury!

sauron
forge??

oh yes forge...yes i forged it...i made it *places hands behind back and crosses fingers* didnt order it out of a catalogue though.....

anyway now that you cant cut to comercials lets talk about gil galad...i loved her so much

Isilcal
Ive read thembig grin

A.D. Skinner
Well Sauron...we have something special for you

Ladies and Gentlemen...please welcome to the show...gil galad !!!

*audience begins to clap and cheer loudly*

sauron
omg omg omg

*gets on one knee*

gil.....

A.D. Skinner
*audience quiets down*

Folks...what drama for my 1st show !

sauron
hem hem

gil......will you marry me?

A.D. Skinner
*a hush comes over the audience, viewers at home are on the edge of their seat...awaiting the answer...the world has gone silent in this amazing act of love from Sauron*

Exa
Yes, I did read it stick out tongue or rather them ^^

But I like other books by Tolkien better - especially the Silmarillion and the Lays of Beleriand, imo the best.

sauron
*waits*

A.D. Skinner
Well folks...I am sorry to say that we have run out of time. Watch tomorrow when my guest will be that cute lil fat dwarf, GIMI !

*skinner theme music plays in the background as the credits roll as still Sauron is on bended knee awaiting for answer*

Fade to black

sauron
WHAT!!!!!!

*walks over kills cameraman,,,,puts camera back on*

!!!!!!!!

Exa
LOL big grin big grin

why dont you start a thread about it stick out tongue (or involve books in this heartbreaking scenery stick out tongue )

A.D. Skinner
Alright...Why don't we start where it all began...The Hobbit...

What is your favorite part of the adventures of Bilbo ?

sauron
hmmmm where he gives that stupid gandalf some cheek!

good morning

what do you mean that you wish me a good morning or it is a good morning wether i want it to be or not!

shadowy_blue
Yes I have. smile

Schizo Freak
actually i saw FOTR before i read the books and that movie made me want to read the books so badly....the next week i bought the trilogy box set!!! great books

Baylin
I read the books years ago and now after watching the films I'm reading them again!

KayeLa
i started reading the book after i saw the two towers, but i kinda got bored of the first book, before they formed the fellowship. but after i watched return of the king i was really determined to read the whole trilogy. it was really worth it! just reading the whole faramir and eowyn love story was great! smile

shadowy_blue
Wow. Another Eowyn/Faramir fan. I'm glad. smile

Lady Ellie
Yeah, I love Eowyn and Faramir!!!! I think they could have made their story a little bigger in the movies instead of the whole Arwen-Aragorn thing. Eowyn and Faramir looking at each other and smiling was not enough. I mean, people I know who did not read the books didn't even know they were married.
I really wanted to read the books. I have to read em again. Only it's hard to find some time...

Baylin
I loved the book 1st time round - about 20 years ago I first read it.
Now after watching the films I'm reading it again and yes it is just as good, but I find it amusing that the characters in my head when I'm reading, look and sound just like the ones in the films - strange!!

shadow link
i ve read them and the simarillion (great read for those of u who thirst for more) and now im reading ythe histroy of middle earth (expanded and more detailed version of the silmmarillion in sven books, some have heaps of poems and stuff in them) im up to the third one - the lays of beleriand yes yes

Exa
There are twelve of them big grin not seven... but three are about LoTR. Great stuff. The Lays are my absolutely favourite book...

Also reading them at the moment, though not systematically - I finished the first 5, now Im reading my way through the 9th (Sauron Defeated) and 12th (The Peoples Of Middle-Earth) and started 6 (The Return Of The Shadow) and 10 (Morgoths Ring, currently reading the Athrabeth) some time ago.

Discos
I am swiftly moving onot Unfinished Tales,

The books are amazing but first time round I read FOTR, I couldnt understand most of the sentance structure, the words "be thy" and whatnot....

Discos - why havn't "thee" matured?

Exa
Isnt it why havent thou stick out tongue as its nominative

Discos
erm sure why not,

Discos - its the new millenium

BingaBonga
I've read them, and loved them. I've read the trilogy, The Hobbit, and The Silmarillion. I decided to take a break from them after The Silmarillion, because for me, it was one of the hardest books I've read.

Fëanor
I've read them all way before the movie came out, just starting on most of the 'Unfinished Tales' and all the other books beside...The Silmarillion is one of THE best books of all of Tolkien's work...The sentence structure didn't bother me so much compared to reading Shakespeare I guess...

BingaBonga
It really wasn't that. You just had to remember all these names of places, and have a lot of imagination to think of what they would look like

Discos
ah, thats another good point, the names and places were confusing for me also....but not now,

I agree with Bingabongo that the silmarillion is a very hard book but I found it fascinating and thats why i am reading it for a good ole 3rd time.

Aurora
I have read the LOTR, the Hobbit, and I am working my way through the Sil right now... slow going but it is worth it~!!!!

Discos
my first time i read the Silmarillion took about 2months to finish it, I read it about 3 times a week for about 1 and a half hours (when the football was on cause i dont pay attention to it)

LOTRLUVR
OHH,ME!I READ IT!!!

LOTRLUVR
(Is also working on Sil right now... :P)

Evy_O
I've read them (LotR trilogy, Hobbit, Unfinished Tales and Sillmarion), more than once happy

Exa
smile

As you are all reading the Sil I think I will also start again... I just realized how much of it I had already forgotten again sad

Maikahyandowen
i've read the trilogy, the hobbit, and the silmarillion

shadowy_blue
LOL...I'm also starting again..big grin With Sil and the LOTR book. With all the hype for the LOTR movie, I've gotten things so mixed-up and I also forgot lots of things...stick out tongue

Maikahyandowen
me too. it bugs me.

Exa
Lol me too... thats why I recently re-read RoTK and will now start the sil again...

Discos
I have no idea why someone would want to start with Unfinished Tales....

Phoenix
((for the first time)) when I was about six years old...

then I've read it at least once a year after that... haven't read it for a coupla years tho... started reading it again just lately, just finished Book One of the Fellowship...

Exa
lol stick out tongue because even unfinished tales (or tales with unfinished surroundings) contain loads of interesting information and hours of reading smile

sauron
discos unfinished talesa arent aeperate stories that never got finished lol

theyre just like...if lotr dips into something and doesnt say what happend then....theres prob something in there about it lol

Thorondor
I just bought the silmarillion (even though i have it on my comp) and unfinished tales....still have to finish RoTK first though sad

Discos
yes I know bloody well what Unfinished tales is, I am just saying that it wouldnt be my first book to read for Tolkien, I dont know why, its just ....bleh

the silmarillion would be the best one you start with

Discos - infact since I missed the football I am away to read just now!

Maikahyandowen
good idea Discos. The Silmarillion's kind of harder to get through than the trilogy or the hobbit, i think. i started with the hobbit.

babe182
ive read all the books and the hobbit.. and ive seen all the movies.. ive seen them so many times it hard 2 count...

Maikahyandowen
you should go to the movie memorization thread then.

shadowy_blue
I think the best way is The Hobbit first, then The Lord of the Rings, then The Silmarillion, then Unfinished Tales, and The History of Middle-earth, you could read UT first before HoMe or vice versa. That way, you could have the best clues on what's going on without being hopelessly confused. smile In my opinion of course. big grin And that's the way I've read them. big grin I'm not yet done with HoME though. sad We could also read The Letters of JRR Tolkien...big grin it will be cool! big grin

Discos
I quite njoyed the Silmarillion however, the chapter "of the sun and the moon" confused me, even after the 3rd time of reading it, perhaps due to I didnt read it all at once.

why did Ulmo send the sun and moon "under" the earth?

Exa
Under the earth - because they have to return to the same side of the world again to rise big grin would be stupid if the Sunrise would one day be in the east, next day in the west... and as the world isnt ball-shaped but like a pizza or rather like a ship at that time... hmmmm ... sun has to return subterranean ^^

Discos
yeah I came to that conclusion, but I found it rather amusing but at the same time spooky......

anyways when I was typing this people in my class asked me what I was on (I hate when people ask me what site I am on, it annoys me griefly)....anyways I said "this" LOTR forum and nearly all replied "you are always on that, arn't you?

Discos - I wonder how they know? I hardly speak to any of them

shadowy_blue
Well, they could see your monitor. stick out tongue Me too, I'm at school right now. sad And I think this will be my last post at this hour. See you guys later. big grin

Discos
erm, it was actually the first time I have been on KMC (apart from the time in PSE which I was "alone" in the room), but I am always on it on home and they perhaps speak to me on msn and asked what I am doing..... I dont know I dont pay much attention to people who start petty conversations ie

"hello, how are you"
"yes I am good, yourself"
"I'm good"

and thats bassically a convo

Maikahyandowen
that's the best kind. does anyone know for sure if jackson's going to do a movie of the Hobbit? that'd be awsome.

shadowy_blue
He definitely wants to. But there are some legal problems. Let this help: wink

smile

Maikahyandowen
thank you! The Hobbit's such a good book. you really get to know what dwarves are like.

Discos
the silmarillion explains the dwarves quite great when they first came, how did they become so selfish with the mines and whatnot

trade
hi this is trade i just finished hobbit it is sooooooooooooo good like chocolate ice cream lolsmile

Discos
like choc....what the hell!

erm, not so sound harsh but you look like a newbie no, get yourself a sig and a avator please...hehe

Discos - 100th reply *party*

Exa
yey party stick out tongue

big grin nice description smile smile lol... but I like it better than choc ice cream smile

Maikahyandowen
NOTHING is better than choc icecream.

Exa
The Silmarillion is.

Maikahyandowen
well..... fine. i'll give you that one.

mmmmmm_ob :)
iv only read the first book n half of the second...

Maikahyandowen
* gasp!!* that's all?!

muse5
i've read the trilogy and the hobbit and am now reading the silmarillion and unfinished tales

shadowy_blue
Exactly my reaction. stick out tongue But at least she have read something. Let's give her time. big grin

Maikahyandowen
true. we'll give her a week. big grin

Thorondor
Same here smile

Maikahyandowen
Happy Dance

azszhz
i've read the hobbit, Fotr, TT, Rotk and the Silmarillion
and i love to tell people that they were the first books i actually read cuz most get all shocked and "it has so much detail and that makes it hard to get through" like but hey if they got grounded for 2 months they would read it to

Maikahyandowen
laughing laughing the last time i got grounded, they took my books away. reading

Discos
ah excellent, tonight is wednesday so perhaps I might "not" watch the football and read some silmarillion tonight

anyways, I would suggest some time out of your lifes, to those you havent read the book(s), to get your finger out, it is very enjoyable plus you can be super cool at school!

Elondra
i was reading FotR but after I read half of it I got bored and couldn't be asked to read the restsmile

Maikahyandowen
*gasp!*shockingshocking

Bar-en-Danwedh
i've read in this order

the silmarillion
unfinished tales
the hobbit
Lord of the Rings (FOTR,TTT,ROTK)

lost tales, I might look at one day, but it's all songs and footnotes, so maybe later...

PS choc Ice Cream good!!!

Maikahyandowen
i thought of reading that today, but i wasn't sure if i wanted too. is it really all songs?

FrodozBabe
i've only read SOME of the first book lol i don't have tyme to read anymore.....NO!!!!!!!!11 ok so im gonna finish reading it .....soon....... lol

Maikahyandowen
keep at it! it's only, what, 10:00 over there? right?

azszhz
the only reason i didn't lose my books was cuz i didn't like to read then but i was bord cuz readings all i had so i stole my moms copys now i can't stop reading
thank you lord of the rings

Maikahyandowen
all hail the ring! Happy Dance Happy Dance

Exa
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Maikahyandowen
all in mail never clinking

Bar-en-Danwedh
Lost Tales, all 10 million of them, are exepts and explanations of alternative ideas, songs, foot notes, explanations of footnotes with footnotes. even Unfinished tales gets a little too footnotey in the end.

the first two Lost Tales are the only ones that look readable to me...
the rest are pretty much textbooks, that don't really enlighten you at all storywise!

Maikahyandowen
bummer.

Exa
yes yes thats what I dont like about them... footnotes on the texts, then footnotes by Tolkien himself footnoted by Christopher footnoted again then in the footnotes a new text again footnoted with footnotes at the end... but the text repays everything yes

Piggle Humsy
My sister read me part of the Books when she was reading them but I haven't read the books properly, but I do own the Lotr's Trilogy Audio Boxset that was adapted for BBC Radio in 1981, Ian Holmes is the voice of Frodo! lol
Im listening to them again at the moment and now its strange hearing bilbos voice and having to remind myself he's frodo and also the guy that does the voice for Pippin sounds like elijah (as frodo)!

Piggle one eye
x x x x

Maikahyandowen
weirdness

Exa
Aiya smile
BBC Audio Boxset? Cool, how are the other voices? I thought about buying it, but cant find it anywhere ^^ ... isnt this edition from 1981 the (only) uncut version currently available?

Is it only read or also with music/effects in the background?

@Maika your posts are getting longer and longer stick out tongue roll eyes (sarcastic)

Fëanor
allow your words to flow from your mouth like honey to tea...

so few words with so many expressions... stick out tongue

Maikahyandowen
i try. wink

Fëanor
sweetness...

Maikahyandowen
goofiness, loserness, ugliness..... i've got tons of 'em. laughing big grin

azszhz
bordness is my favorite

i have a compelet bordness

Maikahyandowen
good one!

Raventheonly
Just here to say i read the book (because the the three are just one in respect to Tolkien) and the Hobbit.

azszhz
yes the books rule

there is never a bordness when reading Lotr big grin

Maikahyandowen
nope! plenty of weirdness, though.

cheeky munkey
i read the boooks (mine are in 3 parts)
and they are total genius... i agree with what was said earlier tho..... too many footnotes.... and by the end.... i was beginning to think that there were too many songs aswell...... but they were stil genius big grin

Maikahyandowen
most definately. cool reading

shadowy_blue
What I've read so far:

The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings (all 3 parts)
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales
The History of Middle-earth---I, II, III, IV, VIII, IX)

I've skipped some parts because I can't find the parts V, VI, and VII in my bookstore but I'm definitely gonna buy it if they finally had one along with X, XI, and XII. I haven't read the Letters of JRR Tolkien yet, I'm only seeing some of his quotes from that book in the net but I desperately wanna buy that. I also own some books that are Middle-earth related but not really written by Tolkien himself like The Magical World of The Lord of the Rings, The Atlas of Middle-earth and some Middle-earth languages book. Unfortunately, language-related stuff seem not to be my best course in the planet. I really tried to learn..I really did..but the things won't go in my head. I will memorize 5 to 10 terms or 1 sentence or 2 one time and after 2 days..I've totally lost them. I can't absorb them.messed ..so..there they are..in my shelf..waiting to be read through..I guess I will..another time. smile

Exa
Lol smile
Hm, Ive read the Hobbit, LoTR, the Sil, the Unfinished Tales and from the History the parts I, II, III, IV, and so far... and parts of VI, IX, X, XII... I always mix them up and cant remember where I read last... I have the other ones at home (except for VIII), but Kmc wont let me enough time to read them roll eyes (sarcastic) I also started the letters, not yet read all though... yey and loads of secundary literature, like dictionaries, books about languages, parodies ^^, "Tolkien-The Artist" (book about paintings by Tolkien smile great) and stuff like that, so I have lots of books here but not yet read several of them sad at the moment Im reading the Silmarillion again... because it has no footnotes yes Im really tired of all these comments on the comments on the comments in the history sad

Maikahyandowen
that would be irksome

shadowy_blue
Yeah..and I also hate it sometimes when different books say different informations about a particular matter. For example, in one book that I've read, it was said that Galadriel and Celeborn had one more child other than Celebrian, then in the Unfinished Tales I think, it was clarified that it wasn't true. Something like that. Other books from HoME also tell different kind of stories than what's in the LOTR books and the Silmarillion. I'm getting so very mixed-up everytime, I don't know what's the real deal anymore. sick

Exa

shaber
Didn't one note say that Saruman considered repentence when the Nazgul visited him immediately after Gandalf escaped from Orthanc? That could serve as an alternative past of some description

pepsi pepsi

Maikahyandowen
possibly.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.