Monthly Comics, or Graphic Novels and Trade Paperbacks?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
I collected a huge amount of comics in my younger days, but basically sat out the 90's decade; used my money for other things. Since the millenium, I have gotten back into buying, but find I favour buying whole collections in paperbacks, like Sin City. Monthly titles, only if it's limited, like Avengers/JLA and that was in prestige format. Impressed lately with Ultimate Fantastic Four, I will buy them as collected Graphic Novels, rather than hunt down the issues. And a friend of mine who introduced me to Supreme Power, did so with the first collected paperback. And I found, that's the way I will buy that series, even though it means waiting longer to get caught up - #3 collection just came out, and I snapped it up immediately. The extra quality of the paper often helps the art look even better.
I think this is, in part, because I buy what I want to read, rather than just collecting for value. Does anyone else do this, or are you unable to wait and have to have the latest issue?

8bitChris
I buy regular Marvel with monthly comics.

I usually wait for the TPBs with Ultimate Marvel.

Which do I like better? TPBs. Easier to read and doesn't have 22 pages of advertisement for 24 pages of story. I also find that Ultimate Marvel reads a little better in TPB format.

willRules
I buy ultimate X-men in tb and Cable and Deadpool

ScarletSpider
It depends what the title is. I rarely buy a monthly Ultimate book, because those are more or less guaranteed survival in the market place. However, books like New Thunderbolts and Cable & Deadpool I buy monthly, because the monthly numbers are what determine their continued existence.

The Ion
I only wait for trades if I'm not too interested in the story arc such as Spider-Man: The Other. Otherwise I pick up monthlys.

8bitChris
Spider-Man the Other has had a good start. smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.