Half Life 2 (XBOX)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

§P0oONY
I pre-ordered this title on the date February 19th 2003 (Day after my birthday, Same day I pre-ordered Halo 2).. and I checked today to see what Amazon were saying the release date was...

This is the message about release date:

"This item will be released on November 18, 2005. You may order it now and we will dispatch it to you when we receive it from our supplier. Please note that release dates are subject to change."

droolio, I'm going to double check to see if this is true... if it is... that's 2 years

DarkC
I'm getting it.

§P0oONY
Did an IGN search... and it checks out, 15th November (America)

DarkC
13 days!

§P0oONY
Originally posted by DarkC
13 days!

16 for me! disgust

DarkC
Hawhaw, where do you live?

§P0oONY
Originally posted by DarkC
Hawhaw, where do you live?

England, we get everything later, and at a higher cost (respectively).... it's a *****.

DarkC
Nyah.

hotsauce6548
You pre-ordered it 2 years ago?! eek!

Dammmn! I would have forgotton about it by now. stick out tongue

Lana
That's over two and a half years ago, actually stick out tongue

§P0oONY
It was a hell of a long time ago... I remembered because I was playing on the PC version not too long ago... and suddenly remembering that I had.

DarkC
Played HL2 at Future Shop on PC, for an hour. It was wonderful, the interactivity amazed me.

RedAlertv2
Get it on pc not xbox

DarkC
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Get it on pc not xbox
I don't fancy spending $500 on upgrades just to play the game, thank you very much.

StinkFist462
i dont think he was implying that everyone should go off and pay however much for HL2 to run properly on a comp.

HL2 for Xbox looks really downgraded and almost crappy compared to PC version

DarkC
No, he wasn't implying that. However, for me to play it on PC, I do have to spend about $500 worth of upgrades.

Yes, it does look slightly downgraded on console, but it runs great and the gameplay(Which i feel is the most important thing about the game) has not changed in the slightest. Which is why I am buying it for the Xbox.

DigiMark007
Bumping because I'm playing this. Rather drool-tastic so far, though I'm generally not a fan of shooters. The cinematic nature of it makes it stand out, since the puzzles are nothing new and the "shooting" is very good, but generally not my bag.

BackFire
Wait till you get to Episode 2. Takes the whole idea of cinematic and immersive gaming to a new level, I felt.

Smasandian
Ahhh.....I would feel kinda of bad if I ever played an Half Life game on a console.

I really would.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Smasandian
Ahhh.....I would feel kinda of bad if I ever played an Half Life game on a console.

I really would.

Made me feel good big grin

BackFire
Having played Half Life 2 now both on a console (360) and a PC, it works equally well on both formats.

Well, not really. It's a bit better on the PC just because of the controls. But nothing was lost in the translation.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by BackFire
Wait till you get to Episode 2. Takes the whole idea of cinematic and immersive gaming to a new level, I felt.

Awesome.

I can still telegraph some things about the plot though. "Here's the gravity gun Gordon. ...what's that?! Sweepers!! Run Gordon, run! Go get yourself stranded from us and take a long-ass route back to us so that we can stroke your nuts some more like you're the second coming of Corey Feldman."

...but it's really just a seamless world with the events, people, interactions, etc. and is very believable.

Originally posted by Smasandian

I really would.

Don't get me wrong, I realize that a lot of ports work better on their original systems (in this case, PC). And I've also always been a pretty stalwart "PC > consoles" junky. But A friend loaned me Orange Box, so it was really a no-brainer since I had never played it before.

Smasandian
Episode 2 is the best in terms of Half Life goodness.

Dont get me wrong, if I couldnt afford a new computer after my computer goes down, then yeah, I would play it on the console, but considering Half Life was the first real gaming experience I had (played Doom and had an NES, but I usually only played them for less than two hours), I just would feel bad if I played it on the console. I'm a die hard PC gamer, and Half Life to me is the game of the PC.

DigiMark007
So the Ravenloft level was...interesting. My favorite so far might be the opening sequence in the city sans a weapon (short but frantic as f*ck), and the flight in the swamp buggy thing, which was a nice mix of racing-style fun, puzzles, and action.

Too many zombies in Ravenloft though. Reminded me of every zombie game I've ever played, and how much zombies annoy me. A few fun moments though, and the priest dude was cool. I kept screwing up with the gravity gun and having to use my traditional guns. Low ammo and wild running-around ensued.

And if it was a game I cared about more, I'd probably get it for PC. But when the choices are XBox for free from a friend, and buying the cpu game, the choice is clear. Apparently not much is lost, so all's well.

Smasandian
I really liked Ravenloft. I loved the atmosphere of it. It was kinda of the same as any zombie game, but I really liked it, especially the home made traps, and ramps and shit like that. I would totally do that.

In my opinion, there isnt any fault in HL2. Every level is awesome. In the first game, the last level is pretty mediocre but in this game, all of its good.

DigiMark007
Yeah, the quality is rather evident throughout the game, and each level is fairly unique.

Smasandian
They also get alot of cool details in the game.

Off the top of my head, hitting zombies with paint was really fun.

DigiMark007
Paint? I'll have to try that.

My favorite was finding a giant anchor-looking thing and using it with the gravity gun. It would just bludgeon things, possibly with more effectiveness than the traditional blades. It killed far more creatures than the blades did for me, and hearing the metal "thunk" as it pwned monsters was funny as hell.

Blue_Hefner
Best game ever

Smasandian
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Paint? I'll have to try that.

My favorite was finding a giant anchor-looking thing and using it with the gravity gun. It would just bludgeon things, possibly with more effectiveness than the traditional blades. It killed far more creatures than the blades did for me, and hearing the metal "thunk" as it pwned monsters was funny as hell.

Yeah, paint buckets are awesome. Shoot them at the walls too. It was pretty nifty back then.

I was the type of player who just picked up everything and kept on shooting at something, no matter what damage it did. Especially a battle later on in the game evolving a queen antlion and tight spaces.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.