Sauron or Morgoth

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Celestial
THIS IS NOT A SAURON VS. MORGOTH THREAD!!!

Who do YOU like better? Sauron or Morgoth and why.

DanielLB
Hmmm.....now, if you know me i dont like making these sort of descicions beacuse i believe if your a true fan than you shouldnt really have fav. characters etc. beacuse you see the 'side of the story' from each persons point of few.....if you no what i meanbig grin

Sorry to be no help here, but personnaly, both Dark Lords are my favourite as they both wanted different things, acted differently, achieved different things....and were completly different!

DarkC
Morgoth.

Bar-en-Danwedh
Melkor (morgoth).

he sang his own tune.

He made the dragons, kidnapped and turned elves into orcs, left a permanent echo of his voice carved into Lammouth, tricked alot of people into doing stuff, infuriated Feanor to the point he cursed the gods and lead everyone on an unholy crusade, kidnapped Tuor to make him watch through a Palantir his son Turin's life turn to crap, Launched some awsome attacks (like even in heaven), and had a bunch of balrogs follow him around...

Sauron's great...

but Morgoths the dude!

w00t2112
Morgoth, by the fact he has more power, stronger than all the other valar combined(before he divided his power) as well as creating all the evil creatures of middle earth and twisting heaps of maiar...

Morgoths_Wrath
Does anyone else see the similarities between Melkor (Morgoth) and Lucifer (Satan)?

Fėanor
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
Does anyone else see the similarities between Melkor (Morgoth) and Lucifer (Satan)? the only similarity is that both have fallen from grace. Morgoth is by far more evil than Lucifer aka Satan aka Shaitan aka Samah-El.

Great Vengeance
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
Does anyone else see the similarities between Melkor (Morgoth) and Lucifer (Satan)?

Thats what tolkien intended I think.

Doctor Lecter
I don't really know much about Morgoth, as I haven't yet read the Simarrilion. So I vote for Sauron.

Belegūr
Untrue Fayanaro, Tolkien often compared the two, (at least superficially).

Nevertheless, Melkor the Morgoth is by far the better of the two foes. In fact, it will be Melkor who brings about the Dagor Dagorath.

Shadow x 20
Originally posted by Shadow x 20
THIS IS NOT A SAURON VS. MORGOTH THREAD!!!

Who do YOU like better? Sauron or Morgoth and why.

Read a post next time

Grand Moff Gav

Shadow x 20

stringz
souron man, morgoth is dumb, gettin killed by aragorn ha wat a loser. i also like sourons 6 sided axe! its really cool

kamikz
LMAO.

Do you know who Morgoth is? Didn't think so.

fini
LOL @ noob, doesn't know crap. GO READ SOME BOOKS KID!!!!!!!!!

But seriously who will choose Sauron over Melkor????????

MELKOR IS DA MAn..........oh wait thats wrong ........ uh DA Aniur!?!?

ESB - 1138
Originally posted by stringz
souron man, morgoth is dumb, gettin killed by aragorn ha wat a loser. i also like sourons 6 sided axe! its really cool

Aragon never faced off against Morgoth.

I picked Sauron over Morgoth because of their views. Melkor wanted to destroy all of Middle-Earth (basically) and Sauron wanted to take complete control of it and rule with an iron fist.

Belegūr
Originally posted by stringz

He may have been thinking of Gothmog.

shadowy_blue
What most of the people said. Morgoth!!

How's that for an extremely concise and intelligent answer? cool

bogen
morgoth rocks

Hello Friend
Morgoth was a wimp. Sauron singlehandedly corrupted and destroyed arguably the greatest civilization Middle Earth has ever known.

Sauron >>> Overpowered Vala n00b.

Darkman87
Morgoth was just a stupid orc. Sauron was the master so I like Sauron best.

DanielLB
err.... have both of you read like the Silmarillion or anything? If you had, you obviously didnt understand it. it would take a better choice than : stupid orc to decide that sauron was 1000000% better.

Hello Friend
Originally posted by DanielLB
err.... have both of you read like the Silmarillion or anything? If you had, you obviously didnt understand it. it would take a better choice than : stupid orc to decide that sauron was 1000000% better.

Think. For once. How would I know Sauron destroyed Numenor WITHOUT reading the Silmarillion.

Morgoth was powerful. Power means **** when judging a character's coolness. If it meant something, then DBZ characters would be the epitome of badassness.

Morgoth was a Vala. He was afraid to fight Fingolfin. An ELF. A strong elf, but an ant to him.

ESB - 1138
To make it fair Sauron was afraid to fight a dog. Sauron came in as a last resort.

w00t2112
Originally posted by Darkman87
Morgoth was just a stupid orc. Sauron was the master so I like Sauron best.

errrr are you that crazy? because morgoth was not an orc, he was a valar as well as being the strongest one, before he dispersed his power, he is pretty much the devil in middle earth, while sauron was like his 2nd in command

ESB - 1138
This isn't a battle between the two for it would have to be decided by which Morgoth we are talking about. Who do you like/respect more.

KPrince
I would have to say Morgoth. If it was not for him, Sauron would never have turned evil. Morgoth was bent on destroying everything that the Eru established through his Valar. Sauron was Morgoth's servant, and although he seemed more cunning, he only worked with what his master had previously brought on middle-earth. In fact, he was just fulfilling his master's plan. No evil force in middle-earth had more power to corrupt than Morgoth. Therefore, I respect him more than Sauron.

DanielLB
Originally posted by Revolver Ocelot
Think. For once. How would I know Sauron destroyed Numenor WITHOUT reading the Silmarillion.

Morgoth was powerful. Power means **** when judging a character's coolness. If it meant something, then DBZ characters would be the epitome of badassness.

Morgoth was a Vala. He was afraid to fight Fingolfin. An ELF. A strong elf, but an ant to him.

huh?messed

vanice
they are evil so I don't like them. But morgoth is much moore powerful. (imortal) cause he is half a god so....

ESB - 1138
He does get killed. The Final Battle thing.

DanielLB
They should make that! The silmarillion and then like a little epilogue of the final battle!

ESB - 1138
I would love to read that.

vanice
morgoth. there would be no sauron without him.

ESB - 1138
Morgoth had nothing to do with the making of Sauron. And you cannot say that for you have no proof. If Morgoth didn't turn Sauron it could have been by his own will.

vanice
Originally posted by ESB - 1138
Morgoth had nothing to do with the making of Sauron. And you cannot say that for you have no proof. If Morgoth didn't turn Sauron it could have been by his own will.

I never said that. I know that sauron is a maiar but he admired morgoth and learned from him.

He's using the same tricks as morgoth did. fooling people and so on.

And morgoth was the one who invented evil and darkness in arda.

There would be no sauron as he is in the lord of the rings without morgoth.

ESB - 1138
Sauron and Morgoth were after two different things.

1.) Morgoth wanted the complete destruction of Middle-Earth.
2.) Sauron wanted to control all the people of Middle-Earth.

I perfer control over destroy. Considering once everything is destroyed then what?

I_am_Melkor
But I (see User Name) did not want to DESTROY Arda. I, like Sauron, merely wanted to RULE it. Oy vey!!! You stupid mortals! Get your facts straight!!! evil face mad evil face mad evil face mad

I_am_Melkor
I do Admit to having tried to CONTORT and TWIST things to my own ways, but that is not the same as DESTROYING them!!

Oh, and by the way... Razeilim... While it is not mentioned in Silmarillion, I was not afraid to fight the stupid Elf Fingolfin... there was a problem with one of the forges. I think it was something with the coals being under-heated... Let me warn you: Do NOT put an Elven slave in charge of that... I advise a Balrog, or even a smart orc... Elves are just too stupid! Plus, they smell bad.

Sin Harvest
Originally posted by I_am_Melkor
I do Admit to having tried to CONTORT and TWIST things to my own ways, but that is not the same as DESTROYING them!!

Oh, and by the way... Razeilim... While it is not mentioned in Silmarillion, I was not afraid to fight the stupid Elf Fingolfin... there was a problem with one of the forges. I think it was something with the coals being under-heated... Let me warn you: Do NOT put an Elven slave in charge of that... I advise a Balrog, or even a smart orc... Elves are just too stupid! Plus, they smell bad.

Actually the book backs me up on this one. Morgoth wanted to destroy all of Middle-Earth and turn it to his own wasteland. Sauron wanted to rule the free peoples.

Anthony$Billy
Im goign with morgorth beacus melkor(morgorth) made balrongs .... big grin

DanielLB
No he didnt!

Sin Harvest
Originally posted by Anthony$Billy
Im goign with morgorth beacus melkor(morgorth) made balrongs .... big grin

No he didn't. The Balrogs are Maia spirits that decided to follow Melkor instead of the Vala.

Gurthang
Destroy to mock Illuvtar, and then he could replace all the peoples of middle-earth with his followers and his creation: the easterlings and the orcs. This proves Melkor (Morgoth) is smarter because he knows there will be a higher chance of a rebellion with the free peoples of middle earth. Plus, Sauron is just a maiar fallen evil while Morgoth was a vala.
Morgoth is defintely better.

thefallen544
I'm gonna go with Sauron, I found an interesting quote posted by a lore-master as called on one of the other forums I visit.

"Sauron was 'greater', effectively, in the Second Age than Morgoth at the end of the First. Why? Because, though he was far smaller by natural stature, he had not yet fallen so low." (Morgoth's Ring, Myths Transformed, Text VII)

Essentially Melkor was more powerful than then might of all the other Valar combined, but he distributed his power on other ventures to his "Agents" and thus became Vastly weaker. Another quote

"Only the total contained the old power of the complete Melkor; so that if 'the Morgoth' could be reached or temporarily separated from his agents, he was much more nearly controllable and on a power-level with the Valar. The Valar find they can deal with his agents (sc. armies, Balrogs, etc) piecemeal. So that they come at last to Utumno itself and find that 'the Morgoth' has no longer for the moment sufficient 'force' (in any sense) to shield himself from direct personal contact. Manwe at lasts faces Melkor again, as he has not done since he entered Arda. Both are amazed: Manwe to perceive the decrease in Melkor as a person; Melkor to perceive this also from his own point of view: he has now less personal force than Manwe, and can no longer daunt him with his gaze." (Morgoth's Ring, Myths Transformed, Text VI, Tolkien's italics)

Away from his agents the old power of Morgoth/Melkor was not sufficient enough to stand up against the other Valar even though he was once the greatest among them. Admittedly Sauron never had to stand up to the Valar, but in contrast as said he had not sunk as low as Morgoth and can be, by some percieved as greater.

Man...I hope all that made sense

LadyOfMirkwood9
Hmmm i'll have to say morgoth don't know why though well i'll have to say it comes from reading the Silmarilion

Draugwen
@ thefallen544

Wow... what *haven't* you actually read about The Lord of the Rings?
*is amazed*
thumb up wink

madhusudhan
You guys dont know about tulkas.He is the strongest among the valar,
even balrogs fear tulkas and one that ran away and hid in the dwarven mines is the one that gandalf fought in the lord of the rings story.

Pwned
I have to go with Morgoth

Morgoth got the name of the Dark Enemy(THE) while Sauron is just the Enemy.....

Morgoth also helped create Arda, and he created evil

Council#13
Way to bump a 4 year old thread.

Pwned
Actually i just saw it say new at the time i was checking......

Anyways still Melkor.....

ADarksideJedi
Sauron

Pwned
*hiss*

ares834
I prefer Sauron.

RE: Blaxican
I can't make an accurate judgment really because I never finished The Silmarillion. However, I like Sauron's schemes more... dunno why. Morgoth always struck me as somewhat of a punk ass. Plus, he's butthurt, whereas Sauron was just evil.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
I can't make an accurate judgment really because I never finished The Silmarillion. However, I like Sauron's schemes more... dunno why. Morgoth always struck me as somewhat of a punk ass. Plus, he's butthurt, whereas Sauron was just evil.

Sauron almost returned to Valinor and was begging for mercy and forgiveness from the Valar, then ran away like a little girl because he was scared.

RE: Blaxican
That's because he's smart. That doesn't contradict anything I've said...

FinalAnswer
It's because he's a pussy.

ares834
At least he isn't quaking in his boots from a little elf princeling...

Noban
http://juima.org/events/images/c/20060422-Elf_Fantasy_Fair-Sauron-2.jpg
Sauron

http://home.comcast.net/~mithrandircq/images_new/Fingolfin-and-Morgoth.jpg
Morgoth

/thread

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by ares834
At least he isn't quaking in his boots from a little elf princeling...

Said Elf would kick Sauron's ass.

ares834
Maybe. Sauron kicked Finrod's ass and he was stated as being more powerful than Morgoth at the end of the first age.

FinalAnswer
Morgoth at the end of the first age was weaker then Sauron as well.

ares834
Yeah by "he" I meant Sauron not Finrod. My bad.

FinalAnswer
k.

Sauron with the One Ring (Which made him even more powerful) was knocked down by his son Gil-Galad. Fingolfin crippled Morgoth while he was still stronger then Sauron, and was stated to be the strongest of the elves.

And stuff.

ares834
Gil-galad also had the help of Elendil. And IIRC Feanor was the most powerful elf ever.

FinalAnswer
k. Dun't amount to Fingolfin though.

Nah, Fingolfin was stated as having been the strongest

ares834

alex30
morgoth is powerful

Allahfameel
I look at Morgoth and Sauron similar to the Emperor and Vader. I think in time, Sauron would have eventually and cunningly plotted to betray his master and succeed to take the dark lord throne himself. Had Morgoth not had been banished to the void I mean.

Phoenix2001
I think if Sauron were truly powerful enough to be Morgoth's equal, or more, he wouldn't have served him. Despite all of his cunning, Sauron is a Maia and Morgoth an Ainu, so his service to the original Dark Lord was only proper. Also, Sauron was not the only number 2 guy that served Morgoth, either. It's thought that Gothmog was Sauron's equal, if not a close equal. The Lord of the Balrogs may have lacked the magic that Sauron had, but made up for it with his size, strength, and strategic military capabilities. Gothmog is certainly not a villain that should be overlooked.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.