Poser Bands

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PINBALL
Name some bands that you think are total posers
I would say Good Charloote stupid goth posers

cool_dudes_rule
my chemical romance and the used.

Neo_Version 7
I'd say Blink 182 but they are cool and they already broke up. big grin

RedAlertv2
Avril Lavigne

Df02
Atreyu

LiveAndLetDie
Everyone`s pretty much said what I was going to say

JenR1215
Avril Lavigne thumb down
Simple Plan thumb down (the guitarist it SEXY tho happy )
Good Charolett. thumb down

Hillary Duff... she isnt in a band (thank God) but she still is a f^cking poser. puke

Aj333
Originally posted by cool_dudes_rule
my chemical romance and the used.

mad
so wrong! if you actually listen to their songs on their albums, you'd realize they are not posers

PINBALL
Oh yes they are

el_barto
Haha.... My Chemical Romance not posers.... HA!

I've think we've heard enough of them on the radio to know they are.

Cinemaddiction
...and what exactly are they posing as? Pop musicians? Same for Hilary Duff. They're not claiming to be or act as anyone other than themselves, and unless you personally know them, or their history, you've got no room to exercise such a prejudiced opinion.

Avril Lavigne er however you spell it, can be proven, especially with those godawful country-western shows she has been video taped performing at in the past 5 years.

Alpha Centauri
Well My Chemical Romance are clearly adhering to a scene. They changed to adhere to that scene also.

-AC

Cinemaddiction
I never heard of the guys before now. Granted, they're not all that original to begin with, but then again, who in the mainstream is.

PINBALL
There tryin to be this ober punk band but there not and they are terrible

SnakeEyes
I don't think they're trying to be punk at all.

They have changed their sound, however, since getting popular and they have done so to gain more popularity. Average band at best.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I never heard of the guys before now. Granted, they're not all that original to begin with, but then again, who in the mainstream is.

The Mars Volta, System of a Down (if you consider those bands mainstrean).

-AC

barbarossa
I agree with essentially everything that has been posted insofar.

I'd have to add Green Day.

Also, it's not "My Chemical Romance". It's "My Chemical Girl Pants". laughing

Deathblow
I don't think MCR are posers, and nobody thought they were up until recently now they've become big. And cos they're famous, it's now not 'cool' to like them any more.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah, that and the fact that they never wore make-up/facepaint at all/as much and used image to push the music like they do now.

But that's an aside probably. Either way, they've always been shit.

-AC

Wolflet
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
...and what exactly are they posing as? Pop musicians? Same for Hilary Duff. They're not claiming to be or act as anyone other than themselves, and unless you personally know them, or their history, you've got no room to exercise such a prejudiced opinion.

Avril Lavigne er however you spell it, can be proven, especially with those godawful country-western shows she has been video taped performing at in the past 5 years.
I agree, except for the Avril part erm

PINBALL
I dont see how Green Day are posers

Df02
they are now... seen how much they've changed?
all makeup n shit now, specially bj

_Sanctuary_
I know.. eyeliner and glitter... no expression

PINBALL
Ive never seen any pic or anything with him with makeup on and just because a band has changed doesnt make them posers there just about how they feel there not trying to be goth or whatever

barbarossa
Originally posted by PINBALL
Ive never seen any pic or anything with him with makeup on and just because a band has changed doesnt make them posers there just about how they feel there not trying to be goth or whatever

This is a tad off topic, but I'm rather tired of getting headaches when I read your posts. Could you PLEASE start fixing your Grammerical errors!

PINBALL
Can you just go away

barbarossa
Can you just go away

No. smile

MetalHeart
Fall Out Boy
Good Charlote
MCR
Simple Plan
Avril
Blink182

EDIT:

heres a fun analogy

Avirl:Punk::Mayhem:Christian Metal

RedAlertv2
Just for the record, what are Blink and Fallout Boy posing as? Or do you just not like them

eggmayo
Originally posted by Deathblow
I don't think MCR are posers, and nobody thought they were up until recently now they've become big. And cos they're famous, it's now not 'cool' to like them any more.
It's more likely because they have a fanbase of 20 million 13 year old emo girls. Who, incidentally annoy the shit out of everyone.

QueenRock
The Darkness... can't stand them mad

eggmayo
Originally posted by QueenRock
Because they brought awesome classic rock songs back to the mainstream?
Oh.

PINBALL
Just cause you dont like a band doesnt mean there posers

eggmayo
It does if they clearly are posers.

Dordaness
I dont see how Green Day are posers

That is possibly the dumbest thing EVER. Listen to them, the music is shit, hailed by rat-kids and little girls, they are mainstream pop-rock glam shit and they should die slowly and painfully.

Dordaness
Originally posted by QueenRock

And darkness rule if u listen to the unplayed stuff i think u will find its awefully delightful *Love on the ROcks with no ice*

eggmayo
Originally posted by Dordaness
That is possibly the dumbest thing EVER. Listen to them, the music is shit, hailed by rat-kids and little girls, they are mainstream pop-rock glam shit and they should die slowly and painfully.
You must have been angry, there's no typo's.

Dordaness

eggmayo

Dordaness
yup or 1337 :P

crazylozer
I totally agree with most of the choices here. Here's some things to keep in mind: Good Charlotte's songs are self-deprecating, and in Avril Lavigne's music videos, there are electric guitar playrers when there are only acoustic guitars in the song. LOL, or don't.

alic88
black eyed peas

PINBALL
^agree

barbarossa
Originally posted by alic88
black eyed peas

What are they Posing as? huh

Alpha Centauri
I feel partially sorry for Black Eyed Peas. They had a critically acclaimed album and then corporate Joe says "Hahaha, wouldn't it be great if you had this idiot girl join."

Not that I ever liked them anyway. I just feel sorry for what they've let themselves become.

Then on the other hand, they did let themselves become that and they did completely agree. So **** them.

-AC

PINBALL
One of the few things I can agree with AC on

barbarossa
I still don't understand what it is that they are posing at.

Aini
I think every singer and every band that doesn't write their songs themselves, or can't sing live, or can't actually play the instrument that he/she/it is suppose to play, are posers...they're posing to be musicians.

Bierbommetje
Originally posted by Aini
I think every singer and every band that doesn't write their songs themselves are posers

Bands and singers that don't claim they are songwriters or creative geniuses aren't posers imo.

crazylozer
imo those who leech off of their sibling's fame (ashlee simpson, haylie duff), or think they can be musicians if they are famous (hillary duff, lindsay lohan, PARIS HILTON!!) are all posers.

cool_dudes_rule
Originally posted by Aj333
mad
so wrong! if you actually listen to their songs on their albums, you'd realize they are not posers hey i like them there alright but yeah they are posers. well its what i think.

Darth Jello
any band that refers to themselves as "punk rawk"

AozorA
What the hell is punk rawk? hahahahahahah

I know they don't exist anymore but are Busted on this list?
And now those 'Fightstar' dudes, 'McFly', 'Rooster'....they all seem to pose

Flying High
mcfly say they are a boy band in some ways...in that they are a band that has boys in it....they dont pretend to be a rock band....

starwarsrules14
The Aquabats, though you don't hear much of them.

barbarossa
Originally posted by starwarsrules14
The Aquabats, though you don't hear much of them.

blink

The Aquabats? What the F*ck? They are the only really "Different" Ska band I've heard in a LONG time. They are totally origional, which makes me wonder how you could ever say they are posers.

P.S. The Aquabats are Hep as hell. And if you don't know what that means, I will have to ensure your death. Especially after reading your title --> "Rockin Ska Punk".

noelluvspotter
I pretty much think that almost every new band out there even Green Day what the hell there old stuff is so much better why they came up with this stupid goth poser crap i would love to know because its not pleasing there old school fans. So i think these new bands suck a$$ thats why i like old skool like Greatful Dead or The Dead The Beatles The Clash The Who and alot of old classsics oh and Bob Dylan the best way to get real music is to listen to the old skool classics

Dr. Strangelove
So wearing black suits with some black eyeliner is "poser goth"...Please. And I'm pretty sure Billy Joe is the only one who wears make up.

Doesn't matter anyway, American Idiot was a good album, which is what matters.

By the way, the best way to get into real music is search for it.

Alpha Centauri
I think that's the sad thing. People are so wrapped up in hating Green Day that they are forgetting American Idiot was a good album.

Sure, Green Day were less commercial back in the day but they always wanted to be a very big band that everyone loved. Just like Foo Fighters or The Darkness. The key is that they wanted to do it on their own terms, and they have.

-AC

starwarsrules14
Originally posted by barbarossa

P.S. The Aquabats are Hep as hell.

Explain to me how The Aquabats are hep...

barbarossa
Originally posted by starwarsrules14
Explain to me how The Aquabats are hep...

*Wonders if she actually has any idea what that means*

LizzyT123
I personally hate all the new wave music, like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, and those stupid rich prissy girls who are only singing because they asked their daddies like Hillary Duff, and Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton, but, I don't think they are really posers. They just play awful music, in my opinion.

Yet, I like MCR, and the Used, but they are doing their own thing, ya know? someones always gotta hate someone else, so I don't care if you hate them, they aren't my favorite bands, but I don't think they are posers. I'm not saying they are punk, or anything hard, I'm just saying they are more like pop rock, no offense. smile

Aj333
Personally I'm really into MCR and the Used, and I wouldn't call them poser because they even said themselves they aren't trying to be "punk" or "emo" or anything, they are just doing what they love

Also a comment on Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan types. I wouldn't say they are poser music because that would imply first that they are posing as something other then spoiled rich girls which they really aren't and second that what they make could be called music, which it couldn't
(oh snap)

Emma718
Originally posted by JenR1215
Avril Lavigne thumb down
Simple Plan thumb down (the guitarist it SEXY tho happy )
Good Charolett. thumb down

Hillary Duff... she isnt in a band (thank God) but she still is a f^cking poser. puke

what guitarist??

LizzyT123
I don't really think there are any poser bands now that I think about it. I mean, what do we know, people who are not hanging out with the band, not going through what they are going through, and assuming the worst on them, and saying they are posers. What are they posing at? We don't know them, personally. We make expectations, and they don't even know them, and why would you want to make everyone happy anyways?

Nay sayer
Any band that I can watch being 'made' in my opinion is a poser band

LizzyT123
Made? whats that mean? I know that Good Charlotte makes those sweatshirts with Made on it. Is it the same as you mean?

Veronica_Ska
ha ha Ashlee Simpson is one of the biggest ****ing posers that i know of!!

oh and her sister sucks too, but shes not aposer, and she can actually sing unlike stupid little posery ashlee!!

sick

amity75
Actually the band with the biggest posers in it was Led Zep! Musical geniuses all right but man did they love themselves! Check out any photo of them from the seventies and look at the clothes they are wearing! Total posers but, unlike other poser bands, they were as cool as fu*k with it.

Ronny
Originally posted by barbarossa
I agree with essentially everything that has been posted insofar.

I'd have to add Green Day.

Also, it's not "My Chemical Romance". It's "My Chemical Girl Pants". laughing *****....

i wear girl pants sneaky2

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by amity75
Actually the band with the biggest posers in it was Led Zep! Musical geniuses all right but man did they love themselves! Check out any photo of them from the seventies and look at the clothes they are wearing! Total posers but, unlike other poser bands, they were as cool as fu*k with it.

Yeah, that's not posing in the sense that these people mean though.

-AC

jockjanson
I think you need a giant ego to be successful.
Sting was a clear example of this.

My poser vote goes to ICP. I don't understand them and I've had negative interactions with some of their fans...call me crazy.

I'm open for talking about it though smile

LizzyT123
Originally posted by amity75

Led Zeppelin were not posers! Do you EVEN KNOW what a poser is? Gosh, stupid people like you piss me off so badly. Led Zeppelin was and is not posing as anything! Sure, they could have been a bit egotistical, or narcisstic, but they are deffinetly not posers. Dumbass.

exanda kane
Posing is what bands do. Others do it for the wrong reasons, others cant help themselves. All this American Corporate Industry crap are posing because they are more of a product than live entertainment.

The Lostprophets are my favourite band, however they, in particular Ian Watkins, are posers. But they are also a great live band with killer songs.

And The Darkness are cock-rock. Posing is implied in their mandate. Bit underwhelming live though.

jaden101
any band that conforms to an image is a poser band...they are manipulating their image to win fans rather than making the music for themselves regardless of whether people like it or not

and bands from ALL genres are guilty of it...

eggmayo
Actually aren't pretty much all mainstream bands posers?

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by exanda kane
Posing is what bands do. Others do it for the wrong reasons, others cant help themselves. All this American Corporate Industry crap are posing because they are more of a product than live entertainment.

The Lostprophets are my favourite band, however they, in particular Ian Watkins, are posers. But they are also a great live band with killer songs.

And The Darkness are cock-rock. Posing is implied in their mandate. Bit underwhelming live though.

Not sure if I can take you seriously when you go from claiming that Lostprophets are a great live band with killer songs to "The Darkness are cock-rock" which they're not. Nor are they underwhelming live. They can perform anywhere and more or less own the crowd. I've seen them perform in HMV and play as if they were performing at Woodstock. That's the mark of a great band. Performing with all you have regardless of where it is. They're not posing as anything. They're only "posing" to idiots who feel the need to attach a tag to everything.

Not all bands are posers. To say so is quite silly. I just saw Burst supporting Opeth, they came out wearing regular clothes. What are they posing as? Normal people? Come on.

As far as on stage antics, Tool, Iron Maiden, Rammstein...etc, all the people with spectacular (in terms of props or just magnitude) stage shows do so because of a purpose. Not to conform to an image.

What the hell kind of image is Maynard conforming to by painting himself half blue and half red? What image is Till Lindemann conforming to when he wears a nappy or a chef outfit, firing flames into the audience? people are way too fast to label.

-AC

Afro Cheese
As far as I'm concerned.. poser is one of the most useless terms in music. It's right up there with "sell-out."

Alpha Centauri
Sell out isn't useless, it's just used wrong.

-AC

LizzyT123
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

-AC

I agree, finally someone who knows what they are talkin about.

amity75
Originally posted by LizzyT123
Led Zeppelin were not posers! Do you EVEN KNOW what a poser is? Gosh, stupid people like you piss me off so badly. Led Zeppelin was and is not posing as anything! Sure, they could have been a bit egotistical, or narcisstic, but they are deffinetly not posers. Dumbass. I've just been flamed by a 14 year old girl. laughing

Whisper
Zep were sooooo posers but they had every right to be. "I am a golden god" anyone? And wearing the tightest trousers with your penis clearly visible? THAT'S posing.

Bardiel13
Yeah... Saying that all mainstream bands are posing is just stupid. One of the reasons that they're mainstream is that they had enough talent to build a fanbase that liked their music large enough to be recognized.

It's like saying "All famous authors, poets, and artists are posers." Was Shakespeare a poser? How about ol' Pablo? Sappho? Of course not!

However, people who are famous in music only because they are famous for something completely different (Hilary Duff/Lindsey Lohan) and for NOTHING AT ALL but being rich and almost kind of remotly attractive (PARIS F**KING HILTON!!!) are the true posers.

Afro Cheese

-AC I look at it this way. Music is an industry. For these people, music is the only job they have in most cases. Despite this fact, for some reason, people tend to believe that the only kind of good musicians are the ones who don't care at all about money, and only about their music. Now of course any decent musician does care about their music first and foremost, but any musician with an album out that gets distributed and sold is obviously not in it strictly for the music, but is also trying to make a living, or maybe just achieve fame and recognition.

Personally.. I don't see anything wrong with people wanting to be big.. but for some reason if a musician at all hints at this desire than they're a "sellout." I just think it's useless. Why is it that all of a sudden to be a decent artist you have to take a vow of poverty?

Alpha Centauri
That, Afro, is the wrong use of sell out which is what I spoke of.

Selling out is selling out only when, as I said before, a person does something that contradicts an early belief, stand point or moral value in exchange for an easy way out. Be it quick fame or fortune.

I recognise that these people don't OWE it to me to not sell out. At the same time I don't owe it to them to stick by them if they choose to do that. Selling out to me, isn't about wanting to be big. The Darkness do, Foo Fighters do, even Queen did. The point is, they had a goal: To be huge bands. Not a problem in the slightest.

The only problem I have is when you'll do ANYTHING, including whore yourself, to achieve that. The Darkness want world domination but they want it on their own terms or not at all. They're not gonna sell out to get it.

I respect that it's their job also, hence why I pay for the music. Tool do their job, they needn't go on TRL or plaster themselves everywhere. They, as much as I hate to say it, don't owe it to me not to do that though. If they did, I would be quite shattered, because Tool are special to me, but they don't owe it to me not to do that. Thankfully it's a near impossibility. But I agree, nothing wrong with wanting to be big. It's just when it's about being big at any cost. A la H.I.M, who bent over and took it up the anus from Bam Margera just so they could achieve success in America.

Also, let's stop calling Led Zep, posers. Shall we? Good.

-AC

Afro Cheese
Hmm.. I agree with that description. I'm still not fond of the term but I can see how that is "selling out."

Though I can also see how some are genuinely "posers." I just think such terms are really irrelevant in the long run.. and one can be a "poser" or even a "sell out" and make good music, can't they? For example: Common.

Alpha Centauri
To me music is about honesty, so no. Brandon Boyd has completely lost my respect. I don't deny his talent, but he's lost my respect.

However, I won't stop listening to Incubus because that would be disrespecting 4 other members for Brandon's greed. Nine Inch Nails however, is only Trent Reznor. So when he sold himself out and subsequently brought it to light that his best album was probably a fluke more than anything, I just stopped bothering with him and his music.

Most of the older mainstream hip pop MCs you see today, did actually have half decent to good debut albums. Eminem's Slim Shady LP was incredible (not technically a debut), I personally found Xzibit's debut to be really good also. It's only once these people realise how much money they can make by catering so disgustingly to the masses, that they go downhill. Eminem went from Brain Damage to Mockingbird. Xzibit went from Paparazzi to Hey Now or whatever that shit is. You mentioned in the other thread that you own two Ludacris albums. His first album wasn't shit. It was no MF Doom album, haha. But it wasn't shit in my opinion. It wasn't underground, it wasn't overly mainstream. It was someone putting out music. As soon as he caught a whiff of the money he could make, like almost every other mainstream MC, he sold himself out. Busta Rhymes, the man once known as a cohort of A Tribe Called Quest, now reduced himself to rhyming with The Pussycat Dolls.

I have no time for that. If you are gonna make music, make it honest or don't complain when people turn on you. You don't owe us not to sell out, but we don't owe you to stick around if you do. It works both ways.

-AC

Afro Cheese
Yeah I see what you're saying. I agree that those artists sold out, and I do think it turned out bad for their music, but what do you have to say about my Common example? I saw someone on here once post that when he appears in commercials and shit like that, he's clearly going against what he rapped about on I Used To Love HER. Now that I think of it, that's completely true. That would make him a sell out. However, I still think Be is a good album.

The flip side of that would be pop artists like Britney Spears and The Backstreet Boys. Obviously very commercial and poppy from the beginning, so really I don't think they "sold out" I just think they suck.

My main point is: Selling out doesn't necessarily mean making shit music and making shit music doesn't necessarily mean selling out. Personally, I just focus on whether or not the music is good. I try to leave out their image and whether they're a "poser" or a "sell out" as much as I can, though I do get caught up in it from time to time.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah, a "good" album. Common produced excellent hip hop, now it's way below what he used to be capable of because of that.

Selling out means dishonest music, which is shit music to me. You could make the catchiest mainstream rock song there is, but if it contradicts what you've been standing for the whole time and you're only doing it for the sake of, then that's shit.

Selling out isn't a common occurance in the bands I listen to, so I have no cause to use it really. I just know where it applies.

-AC

Afro Cheese
I don't think his music was effected by him appearing in commercials, honestly. Artists evolve. He's changed his sound several times.. Electric Circus was the furthest away from Ressurection you could possibly get, and then with Be he took a few steps backwards and it sounds a little more like his older stuff besides his flow.

I can see how you'd argue his music isn't as good, though it's still great to me.. but that I'm just saying that i don't think him "selling out" (appearing in ads) really effected it much.

Alpha Centauri
It's not about whether it affected the music in that sense. It depends whether you don't mind artists becoming corporate billboards or not.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Green Day haven't become commercial, they've become more popular. They were at their most commercial during the Dookie era.

Victor Von Doom
Every band is a sell-out.

It's a useless term. As soon as you go into the public eye, with a commodity, you are a salesman. It doesn't matter how you do it. The only way an artist can betray themselves is by making bad music.

exanda kane
Not sure if I can take you seriously when you go from claiming that Lostprophets are a great live band with killer songs to "The Darkness are cock-rock" which they're not. Nor are they underwhelming live. They can perform anywhere and more or less own the crowd. I've seen them perform in HMV and play as if they were performing at Woodstock. That's the mark of a great band. Performing with all you have regardless of where it is. They're not posing as anything. They're only "posing" to idiots who feel the need to attach a tag to everything.

-AC

Seen The Darkness four times. Everytime I have seen them (Reading, A Virgin Megastore performance, not HMV though, they may be brilliant there, Brixton Academy, and the Electric Ballroom, Camden) and was seriously underwhelmed by there performances. It was more like a cabaret act.

However I agree with pretty much everything else you have said.

Alpha Centauri
Well underwhelming is subjective really.

They're not cock-rock though.

-AC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.