Are Muscle and Strenght The Same?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Inspectah Deck
Are they?

Maestro
No

PVS
i guess it depends on how you gain that muscle

Mr _Whirlysplat
Muscle is stored nitrogen in the form of striated or unstriated tissue.
Strength can be defined in many ways including moral strength, tensile strength etc.
The answer is a big no.

PVS
oh not an anal debate on semantics messed

he means physical strength

and no, that doesnt mean immunity, you know what it means

Mr _Whirlysplat
Originally posted by PVS
oh not an anal debate on semantics messed

he means physical strength

leverage is at least as important e.g. moments of force smile

soleran30
No they aren't

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by soleran30
No they aren't

elaborate

soleran30
There are 3 types of muscle fibers and they all have a different purpose.....

1) slow twitch muscle fibers(white) used for endurance running, swimming, rowing etc etc I can fine tune this for you if you want...

2) medium twitch fibers(white and red) obviously have some explossive use however tend wear out faster then slow twitch........800 meter dash, 200 yard freestyle etc etc

3) fasst twitch fibers (red) used for explosive force.....line man busting through the line on a hike, max bench press, squat etc etc....

However tendons and ligaments also play a significant piece in how strong you are simply from where they insert and attach to different places on bones........so someone that is relatively slender could outlift someone who is larger then them simply due to genetics all things equal.........I am sure Mr Wurly could give you a more thorough dissertationsmile There is ALOT more but what are you specifically looking for?

Inspectah Deck
Does muscle necessarily mean strength

Alpha Centauri
Nah.

I know someone who is fairly strong but not muscley at all.

-AC

soleran30
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck

To a certain degree you need a certain amount of muscle density to handle certain weights of course there are always people who can do obscene weight lifting with minimum muscle mass..........

However something to remember when you lift "heavy"weights your body has to be able to not only lift it but your skeletal structure has to support it so extra muscle mass can indeed help you lift more....

So yes muscle does mean strength........but its not like you have to be HUGE just have alot of muscle density proportional to your total body mass.

Raven Guardia
it all depends on how you define Strength and what type.

Inspectah Deck
To a certain degree you need a certain amount of muscle density to handle certain weights of course there are always people who can do obscene weight lifting with minimum muscle mass..........

However something to remember when you lift "heavy"weights your body has to be able to not only lift it but your skeletal structure has to support it so extra muscle mass can indeed help you lift more....

So yes muscle does mean strength........but its not like you have to be HUGE just have alot of muscle density proportional to your total body mass.

I was about to use Arnold Shrawnegger as an example laughing out loud

KharmaDog
I don't understand the question, "Are Muscle and Strength The Same"

Strength and muscle are not the same thing, but maybe I am misunderstanding you. Are you trying to ask if the strength of an individual is dictated by that persons' musculature?

strength vs. power would be a better debate

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by KharmaDog
I don't understand the question, "Are Muscle and Strength The Same"

Strength and muscle are not the same thing, but maybe I am misunderstanding you. Are you trying to ask if the strength of an individual is dictated by that persons' musculature?

strength vs. power would be a better debate

No I meant

bogen
im agreeing with most people when thay say no but im just puttinin my two cents.

Strength prehaps as in bench pressing 250 kg, yeah stong but useless.

For the most part people say there strong when the can lift their own body wieght and a bit more( e.g. i wiegh 80 kg and am 6ft flat but i can lift 110kg for the most part does that mean i have strength yes id'e like to think so)

But in a fight strength means almost nothing unless your a wrestler, martial arts for the ,most part means speed and power at key points in a kata or other movement, the ability to put out alot of power in comarisan to other stats i.e. build, size, wieght. iv'e found has for the most part got to do with using and enhncing what you have got also using a particular mind set.

A thin, small person depending on emotion, train of thought and weather they have streched and warmed up wold be able for the most part be able to put out anything from a bone shattering punch or kick or a weak nothing strike.

Also in the area of wieghts and such judo, karate and tae kwon do are prim examples of using what you as a sportsman has on the other guy i.e Strong vs weak
slow vs fast ect.
these show that by moving and placing your own wieght in certain places in certain positions the throw or graple nomatter what the wieght of the oponent is going to sent them flying possibly 10 feet sometimes more

So i hope i helped

Tha C-Master
Are they? Obviously muscle and strength aren't the same thing, thats like asking if feet and speed are the same thing.

Does strength come from muscles? Definitely.

The stronger a muscle is the faster it goes, but I believe you are asking whether or not a muscular person is a strong person.

I have bodysculpted for several years now, and at my peak my bodyfat was a lil' under 2%, and I weighed about 66kg. I was in the best shape in my area, but I never really lifted weights. I could do thousands of pushups and situps a day, and I could lift lawnmowers and the end of a riding lawnmower at a young age.

Strength is useless without control and power. Whats the difference between strength and power you ask?

Well, what is better? To be able to use 90% of your strength ONCE and burn out??

Or, to use 60% of your strength for long periods of time, and not burn out?

I'd say the latter would be better and more practical, because lifting 500 pounds while being unable to do 5 chinups is near useless. Unless its for American football, where being able to explode and stop is crucial, and even then you want control and stamina.

Now for muscles, TEARING them strengthens them, but overdoing it can actully make them strength.

Protein feeds the muscle while carbs are the fuel, and too many carbs makes a fat storage in your body.

Okay, rant over...

Kosta
Depends what kind of muscle you're talking about. White muscle fibers are fast twitch, and are most responsible for strength and power. Red muscle fibers are slow twitch, and are the endurance muscle. A long distance runner will have more red muscle cells in proportion to their white muscle cells than a sprinter, who will have a higher white muscle fiber count.

So, in short, no, muscles and strength are not the same thing.

Tha C-Master
Technically if you had strong red muscle fibers, they would be in better shape, and allow you to do endurance related exercies, while strong white muscle would allow you to explode and stop, respectively.

Df02
im an absolute beanpole, but i can perform pretty damn well in armwrestling against people twice my size, often winning.

it's just ability to control the muscle aswell as how much is there i guess

GCG
Can i bring will-power into this ?

Its useless having a muscle mass if the host isnt determined to put it to its maximum capacity. Up to a certain extent muscle is strenght but without brain-power to back it up, its not as effective.

Tha C-Master
Willpower, spirit, adrenaline, etc, all play into strength, inner that transfers into outer...

Mr _Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Df02
im an absolute beanpole, but i can perform pretty damn well in armwrestling against people twice my size, often winning.

it's just ability to control the muscle aswell as how much is there i guess

Its also lever length from joints etc smile

Mr _Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
Willpower, spirit, adrenaline, etc, all play into strength, inner that transfers into outer...

Nowhere near as important as bio mechanics and body composition/chemistry although they do play a role with similarly matched individuals.

Julie
strength has a wider context as a word....it can be used to describe emotions or structural integrity and that sort of stuff

Tha C-Master
Its not as important for a consistent, regular use of strength, but in life or death situations a person has had the will and adrenaline to do INCREDIBLE feats, that all the training and genetics in the world would allow.

Lifting cars, backs of buses for seconds, etc.

Mr _Whirlysplat
Its not as important for a consistent, regular use of strength, but in life or death situations a person has had the will and adrenaline to do INCREDIBLE feats, that all the training and genetics in the world would allow.

Lifting cars, backs of buses for seconds, etc.

Can you show me properly documented examples of these shifty

Mr _Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Julie
strength has a wider context as a word....it can be used to describe emotions or structural integrity and that sort of stuff

Yes Julie the semantic meaning of strength has been mentioned in this thread. smile

soleran30
Originally posted by Mr _Whirlysplat
Can you show me properly documented examples of these shifty

I cannot remeber this guys name something Angel.....guy is carazysmile at 165 lbs picked up the front end of a v8 taxito full extension of his legs and half pushed over a full grown palm tree in vegas......nuts

Mr _Whirlysplat
I cannot remeber this guys name something Angel.....guy is carazysmile at 165 lbs picked up the front end of a v8 taxito full extension of his legs and half pushed over a full grown palm tree in vegas......nuts

can you show me documentation, its just with all of these situations, I have yet to see one that has not got another explanation.

jaden101
muscle size doesn't equate to muscle strength...at the gym i go to there are lots of guys with far bigger muscles than me with far better definition (although i carry alot of body fat compared to them) but i lift far in excess of what most of them do

one of the main reasons are many of them are on steroids which build muscle size but dont increase density and so strength isn't proportional

personally i'd rather have the strength than the appearance of strength

soleran30
Originally posted by jaden101
muscle size doesn't equate to muscle strength...at the gym i go to there are lots of guys with far bigger muscles than me with far better definition (although i carry alot of body fat compared to them) but i lift far in excess of what most of them do

one of the main reasons are many of them are on steroids which build muscle size but dont increase density and so strength isn't proportional

Also remember lifing for definition and all they might just be on a different cycle of their training regimine......big ripped guys aren't always going in there to lift their max........there are a TON of ways to fatigue your muscles and get growth other then lifting as heavy as you can.

Mr _Whirlysplat

HMMMM....... SOME PROBLEMS WITH THIS THEIR IS............

If the big ripped guy is training properly eating five meals a day....having his supplements, dianabol, deca, sustanon, oxybolin etc.......

Its about body composition you may be fat but you carry muscle, your proportion of fast to slow twitch muscle may be high etc. Bodybuilding is about illusion also a big ripped guy may not really be that big his proportion may just make it look like he is. Powerlifters are rarely that ripped although use of human growth hormone has altered that a little, lever length also comes into it. As does length of muscle canals etc, etc, etc. But generally if the frame has the same dimensions length of levers etc the higher level of power "fast twitch" fibres does indeed lead to increased strength.

What do you call big.. or heavy weights I bench 165 Kg for 4 reps smile

Tha C-Master
Reps means more flexibility, power, and speed. And rippedness.

High lifting is more for brute strength and size.

Mr _Whirlysplat
Reps means more flexibility, power, and speed. And rippedness.

High lifting is more for brute strength and size.

I can do 120 Kg for 12 - 16 reps easily even now and I'm not training muchsmile

Tha C-Master
I get back in shape fast, my bodyfat plummets quickly, though it is getting quite off topic.

12 reps isn't what I mean, when I say REPS.

I'm talking about 300-400 on a target area.

Mr _Whirlysplat
I get back in shape fast, my bodyfat plummets quickly, though it is getting quite off topic.

12 reps isn't what I mean, when I say REPS.

I'm talking about 300-400 on a target area.

lactic acid build up, it leads to muscle atrophy as it is being broken down beyond its ability to repair in the short term. No athlete uses that many reps.

Tha C-Master
No weights... Yes I know that overworking your muscles shrinks them, it took me quite some time to perfect my routine.

You've seen my pics, I'm a lightweight but very defined...

Routine takes about an hour, which afterwards I do some running.

leonheartmm
depends on muscle fibres, muscle density, direction of muscle fibres , muscle structure, tendon density and amount, ligements, bone thickness and length, type of use the muscles are being put through, endurance{stamina meanin hymoglobin and red blood cell count, amount of blood vessels in the muscle and efficiancy of cardiovascular system} mental control and endurance to pain which inludes direct mental control over pain and tiredness, bein PUMPED up and thinkin anythin is possible for u, havin a high adrenaline level. and well LASTLY muscle size matter too in physical strength but the above factors play a greater part.

Inspectah Deck
I have bodysculpted for several years now, and at my peak my bodyfat was a lil' under 2%, and I weighed about 66kg. I was in the best shape in my area, but I never really lifted weights. I could do thousands of pushups and situps a day, and I could lift lawnmowers and the end of a riding lawnmower at a young age.

I saw your picture shock

Mr _Whirlysplat
No weights... Yes I know that overworking your muscles shrinks them, it took me quite some time to perfect my routine.

You've seen my pics, I'm a lightweight but very defined...

Routine takes about an hour, which afterwards I do some running.

It will never produce true strengthsmile which is what we are talking about, plyometrics and weights are the only way -

plyometrics to increase the number of fibres fired by the effector nerves.
Weights to increase the number of fast twitch fibres and increase the density of the skeleton and the load bearing capacity of the soft tissue, trust me its the only way.

- Steroids help a lot smile along with diet and supplements and natural mechanical advantage of some individuals skeletons.

Keep the faith smile

Stay Whirly rock

soleran30
It will never produce true strengthsmile which is what we are talking about, plyometrics and weights are the only way -

Weights to increase the number of fast twitch fibres and increase the density of the skeleton and the load bearing capacity of the soft tissue, trust me its the only way.

- Steroids help a lot smile along with diet and supplements and natural mechanical advantage of some individuals skeletons.

Keep the faith smile

Stay Whirly rock

Haha hey don't forget insulin can do wonders with the steroids as well eek!

Mr _Whirlysplat
Haha hey don't forget insulin can do wonders with the steroids as well eek!

It certainly can - good call add human Growth hormone to the insulin/ steroid stack to reduce bodyfat and increase connective tissue strength etc and you are on the breakfast of champions.

Inspectah Deck
It certainly can - good call add human Growth hormone to the insulin/ steroid stack to reduce bodyfat and increase connective tissue strength etc and you are on the breakfast of champions.

Thus shrinking the penis

soleran30
Thus shrinking the penis

Nope your testicles can shrink but thats because they aren't required to produce testosterone........the boys come back to you after you stopsmile Setting up a cycle and off period is good for the boys...lol

Tha C-Master

Keep the faith smile

Stay Whirly rock Not true, my strength increased significantly and my muscles grew, it is just a larger contributor to stamina.

Just as strength exercises contribute to stamina, but not as much.

I use NO supplements or anything of that nature, my goal is to be healthy, fit, and sexy. laughing

bogen
Not true, my strength increased significantly and my muscles grew, it is just a larger contributor to stamina.

Just as strength exercises contribute to stamina, but not as much.

I use NO supplements or anything of that nature, my goal is to be healthy, fit, and sexy. laughing

Then you should do rock climbing good for bones, legs, back fingers and helps develops well rounded, long muscles

Tha C-Master
If I could fit it into my time, I don't see why not...

Inspectah Deck
Nope your testicles can shrink but thats because they aren't required to produce testosterone........the boys come back to you after you stopsmile Setting up a cycle and off period is good for the boys...lol

How about the hormones?

soleran30
Thats why you need to cycle it.......I am just saying however mister Deck I never used and I don't think thats the best thing to do anyway seeing as steroids are a class2 drug and the it follows a similar sentance to cocaine if caught........you wanna get bigger and stronger increase your calories(not just slop food) and weight lifting

Mr _Whirlysplat
Thats why you need to cycle it.......I am just saying however mister Deck I never used and I don't think thats the best thing to do anyway seeing as steroids are a class2 drug and the it follows a similar sentance to cocaine if caught........you wanna get bigger and stronger increase your calories(not just slop food) and weight lifting

Agreed but a good course of Oxybolin stacked with Deca Durobolina ans Sustanon 250 smile would work wonders. Plyometric training twice a weak to supplement the weights is a good plan also.

smile

If you do a course make it short 4 - 6 weeks and use nolvadex with it. Take something like testavirex between courses to reinflate your nads smile and enjoy the power.

jaden101

What do you call big.. or heavy weights I bench 165 Kg for 4 reps smile

on chest press i'm currently doing 3 sets of 10 at 135kg, 3 sets of 10 incline at 90kg and 3 sets of decline at 145kg (incline being harder because the arms come back beyond 90 degrees more that the other 2 exercises)

i do 3 sets 10 flys at 30kg each hand

i alternate days and muscle groups

usually work chest and biceps together then the next day do shoulders and tri's then the next do legs and back along with doing cardio every day to keep general fitness up and abs and sides every day too

and when i say every day i mean every day i'm at the gym which is at least 4 times a week...usually 5 and sometimes 6 if work and uni allow

soleran30
Agreed but a good course of Oxybolin stacked with Deca Durobolina ans Sustanon 250 smile would work wonders. Plyometric training twice a weak to supplement the weights is a good plan also.

smile

If you do a course make it short 4 - 6 weeks and use nolvadex with it. Take something like testavirex between courses to reinflate your nads smile and enjoy the power.

So anyway it costs an ass ton of money to do all this.......then stack some anti-aromitizing drugs so just not worth $$ itsmile Lift eat sleep be healthy lol

Inspectah Deck

smile

I usually run 2 miles a day and press 10 pounds, different reps

AdventChild
nope not at all

Mr _Whirlysplat
on chest press i'm currently doing 3 sets of 10 at 135kg, 3 sets of 10 incline at 90kg and 3 sets of decline at 145kg (incline being harder because the arms come back beyond 90 degrees more that the other 2 exercises)

i do 3 sets 10 flys at 30kg each hand

i alternate days and muscle groups

usually work chest and biceps together then the next day do shoulders and tri's then the next do legs and back along with doing cardio every day to keep general fitness up and abs and sides every day too

and when i say every day i mean every day i'm at the gym which is at least 4 times a week...usually 5 and sometimes 6 if work and uni allow

not bad at all I really would suggest if you want you strength to go up you alternate the pressing exercises and do only 2 types in one session - in fact if your not cut forget decline all together. Interestingly many modern body builders have cut flat bench out as it makes injury very likely and incline actually is more effective at a couple of different levels for building mass.
Obviously you know how to train though as you are lifting very good weights.
I'd still cycle duration etc, but you have probably tried that, as for cuts etc the only time anyone has them is if they are dieting and strength will decrease a bit (difficult to say how much, as everyone is different - you might well look much bigger though due to the proportion changes. Do you use plyos at all as a plyometric session will increase the number of fibres firing.

jaden101
the strength decreasing was a problem the last time i done my 12 week fat loss programme

i decreased my fat intake to less than 9 grams per day and concentrated on purely cardio with little or mo weights...i lost about 25-30% of my lifting ability although how much of that was because i'd lost good technique i dont know...but it only took about 4 weeks to regain and excell past my previous limits.

i've just come to the end of my 12 weeks muscle build (high calorie intake and lots of protein) and have just started another fat reducing cycle

i'll probably keep this up til i get the results i'm wanting

thanks for the advice though...much appreciated

Inspectah Deck
the strength decreasing was a problem the last time i done my 12 week fat loss programme

i decreased my fat intake to less than 9 grams per day and concentrated on purely cardio with little or mo weights...i lost about 25-30% of my lifting ability although how much of that was because i'd lost good technique i dont know...but it only took about 4 weeks to regain and excell past my previous limits.

i've just come to the end of my 12 weeks muscle build (high calorie intake and lots of protein) and have just started another fat reducing cycle

i'll probably keep this up til i get the results i'm wanting

thanks for the advice though...much appreciated

Much obliged

Grand Moff Gav
Muscle is stored nitrogen in the form of striated or unstriated tissue.
Strength can be defined in many ways including moral strength, tensile strength etc.
The answer is a big no.

That sounds like an..........EDUCATED GUESS...........Ha Ha foiled you!

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Grand Moff Gav
That sounds like an..........EDUCATED GUESS...........Ha Ha foiled you!

lol

soleran30
Damn you should get more then 9 grams of fat in a day especially if you are looking to get stronger......

Grand Moff Gav
Yup Yup

Mr _Whirlysplat
Damn you should get more then 9 grams of fat in a day especially if you are looking to get stronger......

agreed Flax seed is the one to use

Grand Moff Gav
agreed Flax seed is the one to use

So you on a Ghandi weekend?

Mr _Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Grand Moff Gav
So you on a Ghandi weekend?

Indeed I am smile

This is me 17 stone 8 pounds

jaden101

currently stripping fat rather than building muscle or strength

i do it in stages cause its not possible to build muscle and lose weight consecutively because one requires taking in more calories than you use and the other requires using more calories than you take in

me at 18st 4lbs

soleran30

i do it in stages cause its not possible to build muscle and lose weight consecutively because one requires taking in more calories than you use and the other requires using more calories than you take in

me at 18st 4lbs

Yup I understand that part but still 9grams is insanely low seeing as 9grams=81 calories total and a guy active like you should still eat at 1500 calories a day thats alot of no fat food to eat

Mr _Whirlysplat

me at 18st 4lbs

When bulked I go over 19 and a half

I mean thats the Thing your a big guy but I am lighter and thinner and I press a bit more, I truly believe diet is the key have you tried a diet where you cycle carps and protein over a five day period and start again for the first month no junk day.

eg day one 300 grams of carbs 150 grams of protein
day two 200 grams of carbs 200 grams of protein
day three 100 grams of carbs 250 grams of protein
day four 50 grams of carbs 300 grams of protein
day five 50 grams of carbs 300 grams of protein

Split into five meals

split into five meals - day four and five are awful because its all oat cakes and rice cakes for carbs.

By 3 weeks you will have lost a stone and retained most of your strength

Inspectah Deck

I mean thats the Thing your a big guy but I am lighter and thinner and I press a bit more, I truly believe diet is the key have you tried a diet where you cycle carps and protein over a five day period and start again for the first month no junk day.

Split into five meals

split into five meals - day four and five are awful because its all oat cakes and rice cakes for carbs.

Then day six, just relax

soleran30

Split into five meals

Damn thats barely any calories for someone that sizesmile I can gaurentee that if you weigh from 250 plus that you will lose weight VERY VERY quickly with that calorie programsmile LOL actually forget the macro nutrient breakdown there just eat really anythin you want and keep that calorie count you'll lose weightsmile

Tha C-Master
Losing fat is just about dieting and cardio to remove fat from under the skin, you can work out with weights but it won't remove the fat from under the skin. Reps does alot of it, diet as well, and cardio the rest... particularly with the legs/quads.

jaden101
cheers guys

i'll try the advice

what i'm cuurently doing seems to be working. in a year i've dropped from closer to 25 st down to my current weight (above)

the problem with the 5 meals routine for me is time

i do a full time university course and some days have no time off (classes from 9am-4 pm straight through then straight to work for 5 pm til 10 or 11 a couple of days a week

add to that gym time (2 hours a day) study time (2 hours a day and more in the next 2 months because of exams)

so timing my meals becomes difficult

Tha C-Master
I try to go for 7 a day, with small proportions to keep my metabolism up, alas its difficult for me to do so with the lack of time I continue to have.

An old pic, in season... 2% bf

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8396/cordy109bm.jpg

soleran30
cheers guys

i'll try the advice

what i'm cuurently doing seems to be working. in a year i've dropped from closer to 25 st down to my current weight (above)

i do a full time university course and some days have no time off (classes from 9am-4 pm straight through then straight to work for 5 pm til 10 or 11 a couple of days a week

add to that gym time (2 hours a day) study time (2 hours a day and more in the next 2 months because of exams)

Hey Jaden Congratulations thats alot of weight good jobsmile I was on the other end where I wanted to gain quality weight.........I just kinda planned out my meals in advance and cooked on Sunday for myself.....HUGE AMOUNTS of brown rice, no sugar/nonfat yogurt, Chicken breasts, potatoes baked etc etc its kind of a pain but you will see good results and its harder to cheat that way simply because you will always have a good food source handy.

C-Master good job

Tha C-Master
lol thanks. happy

KharmaDog
Kind of a creepy pic C-Master. Odd pose. Why so sweaty? And what are those stains on your shorts?

Tha C-Master
Kind of a creepy pic C-Master. Odd pose. Why so sweaty? And what are those stains on your shorts? Lol, just body oil.

Its called the "Most Muscular Pose (reverse)" The normal most muscular pose is called the crab shot, and it shows the back more or less with the neck. The reverse shows the chest, neck, abs, and arms better. Its not fun posing your entire body and smiling without cramping.

Oh, and baby oil reflects light. I just left the shower, and I used it to give it an extra "kick", pardon the stains. shifty

Mr _Whirlysplat
In my pic my bodyfat is about 10 percent very low

Mr _Whirlysplat
cheers guys

i'll try the advice

Jade you've hit addict level man I used to do 2 hours a day I get better results out of 1 hour four times a week much better recovery - in regards to meals prepare the night before, eat in Lectures. Trust me I lecture and I manage it.

Tha C-Master
In my pic my bodyfat is about 10 percent very low Not bad for a guy in 30's I presume?

Of course you could lower it, thats the good amount for a woman in season.

Are you off season at the moment?

Mr _Whirlysplat
Not bad for a guy in 30's I presume?

Of course you could lower it, thats the good amount for a woman in season.

Are you off season at the moment?

I have not been training regularly for about a year I have some injuries that are healing beyond my knee op. My training was although I did/ do a lot of weights geared toward my Rugby which is my love. 10 % at 18 stone almost is awesome, when I was playing I tried to keep it around that, below that and you bruise to easily. Check out the size of my bicep where you can see it in that pic its cut at over 18 inches.

Weights for weights sake imo mean less than weights for sport.

Inspectah Deck
Kind of a creepy pic C-Master. Odd pose. Why so sweaty? And what are those stains on your shorts?

laughing

Tha C-Master
I have not been training regularly for about a year I have some injuries that are healing beyond my knee op. My training was although I did/ do a lot of weights geared toward my Rugby which is my love. 10 % at 18 stone almost is awesome, when I was playing I tried to keep it around that, below that and you bruise to easily. Check out the size of my bicep where you can see it in that pic its cut at over 18 inches.

Weights for weights sake imo mean less than weights for sport. Yea I see what you mean.

18 inch bicep, whoa...

jaden101
Jade you've hit addict level man I used to do 2 hours a day I get better results out of 1 hour four times a week much better recovery - in regards to meals prepare the night before, eat in Lectures. Trust me I lecture and I manage it.

unfortunately most of my uni time is laboratory work...eating being strictly forbidden

as for recovery time...its something i've never really had problems with. while weight training i would eat protein within an hour of finishing my programme which aids recovery quite well and i've never been overly fatigued after cardio anyway (i tend to burn 600 calories between rowing, tread and bike) as well as 5 seperate 3 minute sets on the punch bag

as for the addict thing...your probably right
laughing

still...its better than being addicted to certain other things

Mr _Whirlysplat
unfortunately most of my uni time is laboratory work...eating being strictly forbidden

as for recovery time...its something i've never really had problems with. while weight training i would eat protein within an hour of finishing my programme which aids recovery quite well and i've never been overly fatigued after cardio anyway (i tend to burn 600 calories between rowing, tread and bike) as well as 5 seperate 3 minute sets on the punch bag

as for the addict thing...your probably right
laughing

still...its better than being addicted to certain other things

Jade I lecture Biology so if you ever need any help if your a biologist just say the word.

Mr _Whirlysplat
Yea I see what you mean.

18 inch bicep, whoa...

thanks mate

Tha C-Master
Show one of it flexing, as I couldn't get a good view...

Inspectah Deck
flex

jaden101
Jade I lecture Biology so if you ever need any help if your a biologist just say the word.

too late dagnammit....have an exam this very morning on human physiology

i do forensic science by the way...

Mr _Whirlysplat

Good stuff mate

I did two years working in Path at a hospital in the Midlands - My areas of expertise now are enzymes, some aspencts of recombinant techniques and some uses of performance enhancers although the last is more of a personal interest.

Inspectah Deck

I do that too stick out tongue

Tha C-Master
Everyone here seems to be a lawyer or 10th degree black belt...

sheesh...

Inspectah Deck
I'm a detective detective

Tha C-Master
Oh really? Whats the case?

Scoobless
lifting 500 pounds while being unable to do 5 chinups is near useless.

embarrasment

what about 8 - 10 chinups?

lol

Scoobless

none of the winners of the world's strongest man contests are ripped... they all carry a visible percentage of fat

Bicnarok
If you use heavy weights and fewer reps, 3 or 4 you gain muscle.
If you use less weight and more reps, not more than 12 then you gains strength.
if you do loads of reps with less weight you get stamina.

Mr _Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Scoobless
none of the winners of the world's strongest man contests are ripped... they all carry a visible percentage of fat

Marius was the exception to the rule, but he was stripped of his title for using gear confused laughing out loud as if the others don't

pics of Marius here

http://www.pudzian.pl/

soleran30
Originally posted by Bicnarok
If you use heavy weights and fewer reps, 3 or 4 you gain muscle.
If you use less weight and more reps, not more than 12 then you gains strength.
if you do loads of reps with less weight you get stamina.

Kinda true but a better way to use is an acronym called T.U.T.

Time
Under
Tension
this is a much better way to challange muscles then traditional reps for routines

Most power lifters do very few reps with maximal weight to gain max strength in minimum time........

Mr _Whirlysplat
Kinda true but a better way to use is an acronym called T.U.T.

Time
Under
Tension
this is a much better way to challange muscles then traditional reps for routines

Most power lifters do very few reps with maximal weight to gain max strength in minimum time........

indeed and they cycle reps to effort smile

Core for mass will always be Bench, Squats, Deadlift -

Cleans and Snatch if you have had coaching -

although cleans are highly aerobic suprisingly in some situations.

jaden101
i'm told a good way to build mass is like this

3 reps at 80% max...2 reps at 90% max and 1 at 100% max limit

any opinions?

Mr _Whirlysplat
i'm told a good way to build mass is like this

3 reps at 80% max...2 reps at 90% max and 1 at 100% max limit

any opinions?

Pretty Good

the best use a 4 to 8 week cycle because of the effects heavy weights have on the nervous system elite lifter often rest exercises for 8 or more days e.g. only deadlift every ten days. They ten to cycle reps so First week 3 sets which are 8, 6 ad 4 reps respectively, second week they go up the weights and do maybe 6, 4, 2

third to fourth week as a longer rest is needed 4, 3, 2, final week a lot like yours.

Some use a longer drop to tail off the weight and the weight goes up each week as the reps go down.

Inspectah Deck
Oh really? Whats the case?

How many sit-ups, push-ups and track running should I do to get muscular?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.