Blob vs. Flash

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

scotsmn
Even with all his ridiculous powers, could Flash defeat something that big and squishy?

The Ion
He could certainly defeat current Blob.

scotsmn
Was there a more powerful Blob in the past?

The Ion
Sure considering Blob is now a powerless guy with too much skin. stick out tongue

scotsmn
Well then, Flash vs the original BLOB. I can't see any of his tricks working on Blob.

Hit_and_Miss
in the time it takes blob to move 1 step, flash runs around and shakes all muscles soo much that he burns off all the fat and the blob becomes skinny...

sam_drugbringer
Vibrateing through him should preoduse similar results that the old Juggs vs Blob debates made.

Mr _Whirlysplat
Infinite Mass Punch Kaboom!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

scotsmn
Originally posted by Mr _Whirlysplat

Nah....that would just make his belly bounce!

I think the nature of Blob would render the whole vibrating through him thing useless. Rubbery type consistencies don't care about vibration stick out tongue

Mr _Whirlysplat
Originally posted by scotsmn
Nah....that would just make his belly bounce!

I think the nature of Blob would render the whole vibrating through him thing useless. Rubbery type consistencies don't care about vibration stick out tongue

Rubber certainly cares about vibration laughing out loud elastic point (look it up)
They also care about kinetic energy- elastic point (look it up)

sam_drugbringer
The Blob's ability is his gratational control, not ruber.

He could vibrate through ruber anyway. It's not like it's something he's never done.

scotsmn
Rubber materials can slowly spread out the force of vibration over a larger area, thus limiting its effectiveness. Given that the Blob is grounded (and grounded well) the energy would be transfered to the ground, where Flash lives!

scotsmn
Originally posted by sam_drugbringer
The Blob's ability is his gratational control, not ruber.

He could vibrate through ruber anyway. It's not like it's something he's never done.

So what? Let him do it.. what I'm saying is that Blob won't care if he vibrates through him. No damage.

Mr _Whirlysplat
Rubber materials can slowly spread out the force of vibration over a larger area, thus limiting its effectiveness. Given that the Blob is grounded (and grounded well) the energy would be transfered to the ground, where Flash lives!

Doh - look up elastic point they have an elastic limit. Infinity by its very nature is limitless.

look up the concept of compressive point also smile

http://mms.sagepub.com/cgi/content/refs/9/1/97

Draco69
...Um. NO. He would EXPLODE. Literally.

sam_drugbringer
Siriously, Flash could just run through him, and his added weight would punch a hole in him.

scotsmn
Doh - look up elastic point they have an elastic limit. Infinity by its very nature is limitless.

You're assuming Flash is capable of a limitless strength punch aren't you? He may be able to channel a lot of this "speed force" but even Flash has a limit. Besides, let's say he channels the force the depth of his arm into Blob. What is that... 2 2.5 feet? His belly will just overlap the force exerted in that area.

Mr _Whirlysplat
You're assuming Flash is capable of a limitless strength punch aren't you? He may be able to channel a lot of this "speed force" but even Flash has a limit. Besides, let's say he channels the force the depth of his arm into Blob. What is that... 2 2.5 feet? His belly will just overlap the force exerted in that area.

uh no as an object reaches C the speed of light its mass becomes infinite - Flash has infinite mass, hence the infinite mass punch.

sam_drugbringer
Once Flash goes past light speed, He is an object traveling past light speed weighing a 90o fliped 8.

scotsmn
Fine, let's assume almost infinite mass.. not INFINITE. His arm would still find itself 2 feet into fat... which would quickly bounce back into shape. Like magic!

"The Blob's body has several unusual properties in itself. The first is its superhuman resistance to injury. The fat tissues that comprise the Blob's epidermis are able to absorb the impact of rifle bullets, cannonballs, bazooka, and even torpedoes. The larger of these projectiles recoil from his body at one half the force of impact. The smaller one imbed themselves in his layers of fat tissue, enabling him to eject them by merely flexing his muscles. The Blob's nerve endings do not relay any tactile perception to his brain which are near the threshold of pain. The fat tissue of his epidermis is resilient enough to revert to its normal shape after deformation caused by impact. It is virtually impervious to physical injury. The Blob's skin cannot be punctured, lacerated, frostbitten, or ravaged by any skin disease, due in part to the skin's greatest elasticity and toughness and in part to the highly accelerated rate at which his skin cells grow and replace themselves. His skin is somewhat less resistant to burning.

It is not yet known if there is an upper limit to the Blob's ability to absorb impact. While he could easily survive a head-on collision with a bus traveling at a hundred miles per hour, even a highly ferrous meteorite fifty feet in diameter on top of him at terminal velocity, it is not known whether he could survive a collision with an object traveling at near light speed. Further, it is not known whether his skin's imperviousness to heat could survive the 11,000,000-degree heat at ground zero of a multi-megaton atomic blast."

Mr _Whirlysplat
Fine, let's assume almost infinite mass.. not INFINITE. His arm would still find itself 2 feet into fat... which would quickly bounce back into shape. Like magic!

"The Blob's body has several unusual properties in itself. The first is its superhuman resistance to injury. The fat tissues that comprise the Blob's epidermis are able to absorb the impact of rifle bullets, cannonballs, bazooka, and even torpedoes. The larger of these projectiles recoil from his body at one half the force of impact. The smaller one imbed themselves in his layers of fat tissue, enabling him to eject them by merely flexing his muscles. The Blob's nerve endings do not relay any tactile perception to his brain which are near the threshold of pain. The fat tissue of his epidermis is resilient enough to revert to its normal shape after deformation caused by impact. It is virtually impervious to physical injury. The Blob's skin cannot be punctured, lacerated, frostbitten, or ravaged by any skin disease, due in part to the skin's greatest elasticity and toughness and in part to the highly accelerated rate at which his skin cells grow and replace themselves. His skin is somewhat less resistant to burning.

It is not yet known if there is an upper limit to the Blob's ability to absorb impact. While he could easily survive a head-on collision with a bus traveling at a hundred miles per hour, even a highly ferrous meteorite fifty feet in diameter on top of him at terminal velocity, it is not known whether he could survive a collision with an object traveling at near light speed. Further, it is not known whether his skin's imperviousness to heat could survive the 11,000,000-degree heat at ground zero of a multi-megaton atomic blast."

What is a fraction of infinity laughing out loud

bored with you now - you need to understand a little physics smile

Swanky-Tuna
What would happen to the shockwave from the punch? Or what would happen if Flash punched him in the head?

scotsmn
If you understood anything about physics, you'd understand that everything about Flash is impossible smile To be able to change directions with the mass... bleh, nevermind roll eyes (sarcastic)

Is not 10lbs a fraction of infinity? I'm not gonna get into a real scientific debate here because these are comic books and they don't follow what you learn in class. I'm just saying that he can hit Blob with an incredible force but because it's limited in area, and Blob is able to stand his ground due to his mutant power, the punch would do nothing but displace a small piece of Blob's gutt.

Mr _Whirlysplat
If you understood anything about physics, you'd understand that everything about Flash is impossible smile To be able to change directions with the mass... bleh, nevermind roll eyes (sarcastic)

Is not 10lbs a fraction of infinity? I'm not gonna get into a real scientific debate here because these are comic books and they don't follow what you learn in class. I'm just saying that he can hit Blob with an incredible force but because it's limited in area, and Blob is able to stand his ground due to his mutant power, the punch would do nothing but displace a small piece of Blob's gutt.

yes it is impossible, but the comics physics - allows for infinte mass through the speedforce smile

A fraction of infinity is always infinite - unless that fraction is defined with a number smile laughing out loud however infinity would still remain infinite and that fraction would be an amount not part of infinity - merely a quantity laughing out loud

bored with yousmile

I don't learn in class - I teach in class laughing out loud

Still bored with you - its all been debated before

sam_drugbringer
10 is not a fraction of infinitely, as you cannot devide infinity and have it equal 10.

Cosmic Cube

laughing

scotsmn
I mispoke. I was still relating to what I said up there "Fine, let's assume almost infinite mass.. not INFINITE. His arm would still find itself 2 feet into fat... which would quickly bounce back into shape. Like magic!" Let's assume his punch has "infinite mass." Would good is that going to do him?

Cosmic Cube
yes it is impossible, but the comics physics - allows for infinte mass through the speedforce smile

A fraction of infinity is always infinite - unless that fraction is defined with a number smile laughing out loud however infinity would still remain infinite and that fraction would be an amount not part of infinity - merely a quantity laughing out loud

bored with yousmile

I don't learn in class - I teach in class laughing out loud

Still bored with you - its all been debated before

He's right, scotsmn.

HOWEVER the comic (wherein he punched the white martian,) never said he had infinite mass.

sam_drugbringer
Beacuse to destroy an object moving with a weight past infinity, it would take an infinte amount of energy to stop it.

The Blob does not posses that. Again, do you know what happened when the unstopable force (Juggs) met the unmoveable object (Blob)

When he punched (Zom? I can't rember.) It said it was infinte.

Mr _Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Cosmic Cube
He's right, scotsmn.

HOWEVER the comic (wherein he punched the white martian,) never said he had infinite mass.

no he'd already done the impossible and achieved the speed of light which requires infinite anergy for an object with mass above a photon smile

Infinite mass = infinite energy

The martian should of had a lot more damage than he had smile

Elastic point is the key anyway. Blob can only stretch so far - Flash's mass/ kinetic energy would be wayyyyyyy beyond this. Blob snaps its that simple.

smile

Creshosk
What is a fraction of infinity laughing out loud

scotsmn
Jugs moved him because his power is "magical." And who's to say that when an object reaches the speed of light or surpasses it, it has infinite mass? Doesn't light travel at the speed of light? Doesn't it have the power to "push" things? I seem to recall something looking like a windmill being pushed by light. Squares were painted black on one side and white on the other. Heh, the little wheel was barely spinning. I don't think the logic holds up. Maybe when you surpass the speed of light you LOSE all mass?

Cosmic Cube
no he'd already done the impossible and achieved the speed of light which requires infinite anergy for an object with mass above a photon smile

Infinite mass = infinite energy

The martian should of had a lot more damage than he had smile

Elastic point is the key anyway. Blob can only stretch so far - Flash's mass/ kinetic energy would be wayyyyyyy beyond this. Blob snaps its that simple.

smile

Where's the logic in that, whirly? Flash reaches light speed all the time because of the SPEED FORCE, which prevents mass dialation. Plenty of characters go at light speed without gaining infinite mass, or expending infinite energy. Flash runs at light speed by warping space, not actually propelling himself by "running."

The martian should have had more damage? Pfft... The universe should have collapsed on him.

Mr _Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Creshosk
t is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

Yes but thats a finite number divided by infinity smile not infinity divided by a finite number smile which still remains infinite

Mr _Whirlysplat
Where's the logic in that, whirly? Flash reaches light speed all the time because of the SPEED FORCE, which prevents mass dialation. Plenty of characters go at light speed without gaining infinite mass, or expending infinite energy. Flash runs at light speed by warping space, not actually propelling himself by "running."

The martian should have had more damage? Pfft... The universe should have collapsed on him.

It certainly should have collapsed on him - no logic in it. Read the Flash fact above it which was equally silly, when you read it again smile

Cosmic Cube
Originally posted by Creshosk
It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

laughing

Cosmic Cube
Damnit whirly, stop changing your name! mad

scotsmn
As you approach light speed don't you get thinner and thinner? And longer and longer? If that's the case, Blob can expect to receive something like a pin prick.

Mr _Whirlysplat
laughing

it is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

laughing out loud

but its still the wrong way round for this debate as its a finite number divided by infinity and not infinity divided by a finite number which is still infinity.

smile

Cosmic Cube
It certainly should have collapsed on him - no logic in it. Read the Flash fact above it which was equally silly, when you read it again smile

We can't always apply real world physics to a comic, (unless, of course, the writers say so) so neither of our statements really apply to Flash. Especially considering the fact that the Speed Force supersedes the laws of physics.

Therefore, unless it is explicitly stated somewhere in the comic that Flash had infinite mass, there's no reason to assume that he did.

I'm sure Flash has run at greater than light speed many times without gaining infinite mass.

sam_drugbringer
I refuse to explain the theory of special relativity in this topic.

Flash said as he passed light speed, his mass was infinite.

Mr _Whirlysplat
As you approach light speed don't you get thinner and thinner? And longer and longer? If that's the case, Blob can expect to receive something like a pin prick.

no stretching due to the speed force |(still infinite mass if it was) and it also prevents the gravictic affects that should happen smile e.g. CC's giant black hole

Cosmic Cube
Beacuse to destroy an object moving with a weight past infinity, it would take an infinte amount of energy to stop it.

The Blob does not posses that. Again, do you know what happened when the unstopable force (Juggs) met the unmoveable object (Blob)

When he punched (Zom? I can't rember.) It said it was infinte.

I read that comic. Where does it say that his mass was infinite?

Cosmic Cube
no stretching due to the speed force |(still infinite mass if it was) and it also prevents the gravictic affects that should happen smile e.g. CC's giant black hole

And mass dilation. stick out tongue

Mr _Whirlysplat
And mass dilation. stick out tongue

smile

scotsmn

So basically what you have is a light speed, super heavy Flash slamming into Blob. I fail to see how Flash would survive this impact. And for Blob to be damaged... there must be.. IMPACT... right? A transfering of energy? One of them slowing down and the other speeding up?

Creshosk
Yes but thats a finite number divided by finity smile not infinity divided by a finite number smile which still remains infinite I hope you're not taking my posting of a quote from the hitchhiker's guide seriously. . .

Cosmic Cube
Actually whirly, mass is constant. It doesn't increase, even when traveling at near light speed.

Inertial mass (resistance to acceleration) on the other hand, increases towards infinity when approaching light speed. Therefore, it requires an infinte amount of energy to accelerate to light speed.

The speed force prevents that.

This defies logic.

sam_drugbringer

You're right, I read the site again.

In any case, he said his mass aproched infinity, and even if it's not quite at infinity, it shold be eaisly able get righ of Blob.

That said, The speed force dosen't stop the streching.

sam_drugbringer
Actually whirly, mass is constant. It doesn't increase, even when traveling at near light speed.

Inertial mass (resistance to acceleration) on the other hand, increases towards infinity when approaching light speed. Therefore, it requires an infinte amount of energy to accelerate to light speed.

This defies logic.

WELCOME TO THE SPEED FORCE big grin

dman2008
Flash Easily

sam_drugbringer
And last post for a while, there is not an infinite number of worlds, beacuse if that was true, there would be an infinite number of stars in the sky, and that would mean every point in the sky would be looking at a star, so the sky would allways be as bright as the sun.

P.S. I know it's from the Hitchhikers guide, just flet like clearing that up.

Cosmic Cube
WELCOME TO THE SPEED FORCE big grin

FLASH IS GOD!

scotsmn
None of this explains how he could hurt Blob. Are Flash's atoms slamming against Blob's atoms? Is the "force" being thrown at him? I thought the force existed in a different dimension...

If Flash's atoms are actually hitting Blob's, wouldn't that cause damage to both parties? All that equal and opposite reaction stuff has to come into play

sam_drugbringer
FLASH IS GOD!

YES!

The speed force is an aspect of the source, which enables him to do whatever the hell he wants regardeing speed theroyeticly.

Creshosk
And last post for a while, there is not an infinite number of worlds, beacuse if that was true, there would be an infinite number of stars in the sky, and that would mean every point in the sky would be looking at a star, so the sky would allways be as bright as the sun.

P.S. I know it's from the Hitchhikers guide, just flet like clearing that up. That was one of the glaring errors in the reasoning. smile

Another was saying that an infitesimal is equal to zero. When an infintesimal is a part of the concept of infinity. Which would mean that there would be a population of infinity, and that would mean everysingle open spot would be inhabited by something living. . . but this is a discussion for another time and place.

Cosmic Cube
YES!

The speed force is an aspect of the source, which enables him to do whatever the hell he wants regardeing speed theroyeticly.

Yet somehow, he manages to lose fights...

sam_drugbringer
Yet somehow, he manages to lose fights...

PIS, Like superman never useing his speed unless his opnent does.

Cosmic Cube
PIS, Like superman never useing his speed unless his opnent does.

So if Flash is in danger of losing fights, he won't break out his Godlike powers because of PIS?

That's like saying Thor doesn't stop time in all of his fights because of PIS. Or that Hulk doesn't have infinite strength in all of his fights because of PIS. The fact of the matter is that Flash isn't consistantly portrayed as being that powerful.

sam_drugbringer
No.... But he Has done it before.

Flash useally does pull out all the stops and use his godlike powers when he's about to lose, like when he took energy from a city, and the aformentioned IMP.

Creshosk
PIS, Like superman never useing his speed unless his opnent does. That one would be CIS rather than PIS.

sam_drugbringer
Whats CIS anyway?

Creshosk
Whats CIS anyway? Character induced stupidity. Morals, holding back etc.

Swanky-Tuna
Jugs moved him because his power is "magical."
I'm sure Flash wouldn't have trouble moving Blob considering Flash has knocked people across the planet. He pulls a spidey and gets knocked back with material still sticking to his feet when he's moved.

I think there would be the illusion of becoming longer at that point because you're running into more light beams. Like how you get more wet if you run in the rain because you run into the raindrops.

None of this explains how he could hurt Blob. Are Flash's atoms slamming against Blob's atoms? Is the "force" being thrown at him? I thought the force existed in a different dimension...

If Flash's atoms are actually hitting Blob's, wouldn't that cause damage to both parties? All that equal and opposite reaction stuff has to come into play

Because Flash gets his speed from the Speed Force, it creates an aura around him that protects him from impact and also allows him to negate sonic booms and not get fried by wind resistance.

Cosmic Cube
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
I'm sure Flash wouldn't have trouble moving Blob considering Flash has knocked people across the planet. He pulls a spidey and gets knocked back with material still sticking to his feet when he's moved.

I think there would be the illusion of becoming longer at that point because you're running into more light beams. Like how you get more wet if you run in the rain because you run into the raindrops.

Because Flash gets his speed from the Speed Force, it creates an aura around him that protects him from impact and also allows him to negate sonic booms and not get fried by wind resistance.

It doesn't protect him from impact... Flash has broken his nose a few times by accidentally running into stuff.

Swanky-Tuna
It doesn't protect him from impact... Flash has broken his nose a few times by accidentally running into stuff.
Obviously it provides some protection if he doesn't obliterate his arms from punching.

nigel45

Well the one time he kinda did it on purpose in order to break Power Ring's field. But yeah, he's made plenty of mistakes before. He takes measures to protect himself from impact (i.e. must catch bullets with a certain movement so as not to break his wrist).

I think of it like this: If a normal person could punch something without hurting their hand, Flash could punch the same thing at near-lightspeed without hurting himself. But if he was punching a giant boulder or something, I bet he would. But who knows, I certainly don't have any specific examples to reference, so feel free to shoot me down.

Juntai
It doesn't protect him from impact... Flash has broken his nose a few times by accidentally running into stuff. Then again, if he's using the Speed Force costume, which he can just form around himself, rather than the one that pops out of his ring, it can deflect bullets and some lower level super-strength attacks.

And to the other guys above: if he taps the speedforce, he doesn't actually have to touch the opponent, they are hit with energy before his hand collides.

And why catch the bullet, when he could stick a finger out and suck the energy from it?

Mr _Whirlysplat

This defies logic.

The mass is constant but the object has become infinitely contracted (small) under normal circumstances (even crazier) and yes the speed force stops this so we could assume is supplying infinite energy and mass to every particle in the Flash's body with no relativistic effects confused madness - but thats th speedforce.

smile

Juntai
comics in general defy logic...
but thats why we love them
<3

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.