Harrison Ford vs. Samuel L. Jackson - Wishes Granted

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
There has been debates on other threads, about George Lucas granting the wishes of Jackson (lightsaber, grand death) but not Ford (Kill Han.)
Here's why.
Mace Windu isn't in the OT because he's dead. The Jedi are all but extinct, it becomes up to Luke to rebuild the order. Mace was always destined to be a casulty in the Jedi purge - SJ knew that going in - so he just asked Lucas to make sure he had a grand death, instead of being shot in the back. One of the top Jedi, that's not a problem to do that. The purple lightsaber? No biggie. Most I'm sure have seen the amusing AOTC doc showing Lucas explaining saber colours - only Sith get red - but if Jackson wants purple, that can be done.

And Harrison Ford? It didn't take him long after ANH to throw his weight around, asking for several times more money to appear in TESB. But his films in '78 & '79 weren't hits, he had no bargaining power, and was paid no more than the others. That's why his fate at the end is uncertain; Lucas wanted to be sure he would appear in ROTJ. He had the famous criticisms about the dialogue, and always wanted to avoid getting typecast as Han Solo, whom he thought of as a 'limited character' ( though he said he would play Indiana Jones again in a heartbeat.) His desire to have Han killed off was his ultimate reason for that. He never had the larger view of his character or the narrative that George Lucas had. These films showed a group coming together to be a family; Han would leave his pirate/outsider past behind and finally become part of the whole. Put down roots by marrying Leia and joining the New Republic. Killing him would go against the destiny waiting for him since ANH.

Ford should show more gratitude towards the series that got him out of carpentry and made him a star. In his advancing years, he's getting more prickly and crotchety. Not to mention, much of his work the past two decades - with exceptions like Indy, Witness and The Fugitive - look like a man sleepwalking through scenes; why the low energy?
If you are bored with performing and Hollywood, stay home and do carpentry.
stick out tongue

((The_Anomaly))
errmm.....ok, soo....... no expression

spencerspider
lol wow that was weird i read the first paragraph and .... well just weird

Princess Lyla
There was something I noticed in the films, I believed Harrison Ford as Han Solo I totally bought it, but I don't know why I just can't give credit to Samuel L. Jackson for his performance, I couldn't buy him as Mace Windu, the character seemed to big for him and I'm sorry for saying it because I love Samuel L. Jackson in Time to Kill

chinabing
I was very convinced about SAJ's protrayal of Windu. I'm glad he didn't play it as a bad ghetto dude. He was an honorable jedi, and SAJ played him well.

But sometimes, especially in ROTJ, Ford and Fisher look very bored, like they really hate the ewoks and the dumb writing and the hokey situations and everything.

((The_Anomaly))
i think his delivery of lines in episode III espicially were very bland sounding

"I sense a plot to destroy the jedi.."

"a SITH! lord!..."

i dunno, those are ones that come to mind as being pretty bad....im sure there are more though. he didnt say them right

in episode I and II he was pretty good though, espicially in Eps. II

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by Princess Lyla
I don't know why I just can't give credit to Samuel L. Jackson for his performance, I couldn't buy him as Mace Windu, the character seemed to big for him and I'm sorry for saying it because I love Samuel L. Jackson in Time to Kill

Well duh!, he aint gonna say "mutha fukka" in a SW movie. Is that what you expected outta Mace Windu?

Bicnarok

Dr.Gumby

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.