i'm confused....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jedimaster8
my government teacher gave us a test on friday. for an extra credit question she asked us how many star wars films are there supposed to be? I wrote down 6 and was surprised to find out that i was wrong. she says there are suppose to be 9. does anyone know if this is true and when do these suppose to take place. are they gonna make them. thanks. confused

yerssot
verry verry early 9, after TPM: 6

Ushgarak
Feel free to tell your teacher she is completely wrong. For a very long time now there have only been supposed to be 6.

mechmoggy
I think GL originally wanted to do 9 films, but after the grief of 3 he soon re-thought the whole thing. I read somewhere that he decided to make EpI - III only and thats when he allowed the EU to be started, under strict instructions not to allow any stories to take place before Ep IV except for those thousands of years before.

Ushgarak
Actually the last three were akready sunk by the time he wrote ROTJ. See, the story was originally not going to end until IX- The Emperor would not have appeared (and died) until that film.

But he ended it in ROTJ instead, and all of the original planned post-VI plotlines were made irrelevant.

Dexx
noo...i red somethin' about the main ideeas of ep. 7-9 b existing.
I posted about this in other posts earlier. I red about this recently in a magasine........letz hope it's true. Though i'll be very old when they'll be release ( ep. 9 at least)

Ushgarak
Well, as far as everyone at Lucasfilm is concerned right now it is NOT true; anything you have read to the contrary is incorrect.

Dim
Just because the script outline existed doesn't mean that they were "supposed" to be done..

The Lucasfilm stance is 6 so the answer is 6..

In the end it's a trick question..not something that should be used for credit.

jedimaster..you should print this out and take it in and give your teach grief on it laughing out loud

Julie
Aren't you just satified to know that you were right and the teacher was basically wrong?

Captain REX
That teacher must be old to remember any of that without being a Star Wars fan. roll eyes (sarcastic)

finti
Well the plan was for nine movies so the teacher is right about the fact that there were plans for nine movies. However 6 would also be correct due to the fact by the time of ROTJ Lucas settled on 6. It looked like it would end up with three for a very long time though.

GordonSkywalker
I heard all about this way back in 1992,at that time I recall hearing or reading about the supposed films set after Return of the Jedi. Of course ,at this rate of filmmaking,it would be somewhere near 2025 before Episode IX ever came out? So it's just as well Mr Lucas cancelled those films,and placed Palpatine at the end of Return of the Jedi. Keeps us with becoming really old before the story was completed! wink

Fisto101
This is a quote said by Lucas himself:
"There's nothing written and it's not like I'm contemplating something. I'd have to start from scratch. Each time I do a trilogy it is ten years out of my life. I'll finish "Episode III" and I'll be 60. And the next 20 years after that I want to spend doing something other than "Star Wars." If at 80 I'm still lively and having a good time and think I can work hard for another 10 years between 80 and 90, I might consider it. But don't count on it. There's nothing written and it's not like I'm contemplating something. I'd have to start from scratch. (The idea of episodes VII, VIII and IX) was more of a media thing than it was me."

Maybe GL will get bored and write them anyway big grin

Ushgarak
Yeah, if he wants to come up with a new storyline from scratch then there is nothing that will literally stop him, but it would be conceptually difficult.

darkshadow
what i have read that episode 7 through 9 were about luke the reason lucas diceded not to do them is that they weren't part of the triligy but expanding it but what i have 7 through 9 is how luke became a master. and if that is true it wouldn't made as much money it would be draging it out longer than it needed to be. in my opinion.

Rogue Jedi
maybe there were supposed to be 9, but there will be only 6.

finti
at one time it was yes

Capt_Fantastic
what kind of an extra credit question is this for a government class anyway? and she is right...technically, there were originally supposed to be nine. Still, it's a silly question.

Rogue Jedi
but a good trick question, however unfair to those who are not star wars fans.

sith_darth_jay
it would be great if GL makes ep 7-9 but i don't thimk he will (hope i'm wrong) but star wars, the movies, it's the story of anakin skywalker, and now that he's dead, it wouldn't make sense watching him as a ghost

Ushgarak
TECHNICALLY there were originally supposed to be 12; the teacher is still wrong.

ragesRemorse
i guess the old saying that holly wood makes dreams come true but crushes ambitions is true

yerssot
dunno, GL started with nothing and is now rich, his dream came through smile

Dirty Vader
I know that I'm a bit late but there are actually 9 Star Wars films.
OT, PT and the 3 Ewok films that appeared in the eightees. The story
happens during the OT. It was filmed with all the ewoks we see in return
of the jedi. The films are very rare to find.

yerssot
and you forgot the holiday special wink

but they are not "official" as in, barely to find, no reference to them on any site, GL wanting to personally destroy the HS, ...

mephistodesigns
Fisto was right, with that quote. That's what I was gonna post. He mentioned he'd LIKE to make more in an interview back in the day but ALWAYS said he didn't have it mapped out. After that everyone was like HE SAID 9! because it was just SW fever or something. I think its always been established that it would always be the six. He outlined them to six since he did say he'd never planned out 7-9. So even before they were made that means he intended there to be six.

mephistodesigns
plus that's a stupid question since, who knows in how many drafts he could have made, there may have been 5 one day and 11 the next. Its not a trick question, its a not to well thought out question because it has billions of variables.

finti
actually his very first plans was or 12, then it was reduced to 9 and in the end he settled on 6 after been in on the idea of let it be with the three that were already made

godfather

Darth Revan
Damn... I wish they would do the sequel movies. I was looking forward to that. I think that it's time he passe the job on to someone else anyways. He just can't write as well as he used to. Soooooo.. They should do the sequels, even if Lucas is dead by then. They should also do a movie based on KotOR. *sniff* damn that would be just beautiful *sniff*

ps: what does that question have to do with government?

pps: oh and they should take one of our SW roleplays here at KMC and make a movie-- clean up the spelling and grammar a bit and you have a perfect movie script!

finti
it was their civic/ government teacher who ask the question

Julie
dontcha love it when teachers are wrong:-)?

mephistodesigns
read "Lies My Teacher Told Me". you'll be able to prove lots of teachers wrong, about a great many things!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.