Best/Worst Artists for Certain Characters

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
Who are the best (and worst) artists for drawing certain characters? Is Turner's Superman absolutely terrible in your opinion. Or maybe Land's Phoenix is the best deciption of her EVER?

I'll start.

I think Alex Ross draws (or rather paints) the best Wonder Woman...even if he does make look like she's hitting forty....

I also happen to think Phil Jimenez draws a shoddy Starfire....

8bitChris
Jim Lee did the best X-men.

Draco69
Quitely did a ghastly Wolverine....

xmarksthespot
Land's art is good, but he tends to give all his female characters the same face.

8bitChris
Lee's got Batman down too.

Draco69
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Land's art is good, but he tends to give all his female characters the same face.

Yes. He does. Read the current issue of Ult. FF.

Bewildered look for Susan Storm = disgusted look for Kitty Pryde

Angry pose for Susan Storm = Angry pose for Phoenix

B****y smirk for Emma Frost = B****y smirk for Susan's Mom.

Draco69
I don't like how the guy who draws New Avengers draws Spider-Man.

He looks like he's missing his chin....

xmarksthespot
The Runaways really shouldn't be drawn by anyone but Adrian Alphona.

And yeh, Spidey can look odd in NA sometimes.

GalacticStorm
Originally posted by xmarksthespot

I find his art whie exceptionally detailed and life-like a bit stilted and lacking in emotion.

armandovalles
I like Tom Grummett alot for all of the New Thunderbolts characters. He doesnt draw the New Avengers very well tho with the exception of Spiderman and Cap. I mean, Sentry looks like a fairy, Luke Cage's forhead is too big, Spider Woman looks like she's 12, and Iron Man's Armor looks all deformed.

I think Gary Frank was awesome for the Supreme Power series as he is my favorite artist and in my opinion the best, but i think Jurgens sucks for Hyperion.

Greg Land is my third favorite artist, only below McNiven and Frank, and i think he does a great job on Ultimate Fantastic Four. He doesnt make all the girls look exactly alike, just pretty close.

I was pissed off when Steve McNiven stopped doing Ultimate Secret. McNiven is awesome, but that new guy who finished off the last 2 issues i thought was horrible.

8bitChris
A lot of people draw a nasty looking Spider-Woman.

She just looks weird sometimes.

The Ion
Ethan Van Schiver does the best GL. He isn't the best at drawing certain characters (Batman comes to mind) but he pulls off the ring effects like none either. I wish he was a regular on GL or GLC.

Ed Benes and Chris Batista also do great GL's.

jrodslam
Porter/Livesay always did the Flash series excellent imo.
Lee's X-Men, Batman also. As well as all of Ross's Art. Especially the JSA.

SnakeEyes
John Romita Jr. sticks out as an artist that I don't really like, and I'm not even that picky...

willRules
Jim lee draws any character brilliantly IMO. I also think John Romita JR is brilliant.........

SnakeEyes
Really? You think Romita Jr. is brilliant? His art isn't anything special as far as I can tell. To me, it's just way to cartoon-ish. I guess that's the only way I can describe it.

As for an artist that I think is quite good, I would have to pick Bryan Hitch. That guy's detail is amazing. Whenever I read the Ultimates, I am always in awe at how good he can be.

Back to artists that I don't really like, I would most definitely have to say Ed McGuinness. I completely cannot stand his art. I'm sure at least some of you agree with me there.

armandovalles
yea McGuinness has good skills and does good lines but he just makes all the guys look way too jacked up. Some serious 'roid-rage there.

golem370
One who ever did some of the covers on the Thanos serise ether did a perfect jod then there was others that did a terrible job. Plus Todd Mcfarland doing Spider-Man was the best I seen him drawn.

The Ion
McGuinness art can look cool sometimes and ridiculous at others. The pic of Superman flying through a moon comes to mind.

Jim Lee I think is great but some of his male characters look way too much alike. Look at a side by side of his Superman and Bruce Wayne and you'll see what I mean.

8bitChris
Rob Liefield is the greatest artist in comic book history!!
Who needs six pack abs when you can have 20 packs?

j/k

DarkCrawler
Alex Ross draws everything best.

That's why he is the best artist for Namor.

Worst guy is the demonspawn who drew this:

http://spider-bob.com/heroes/marvel/images/SubMariner06.jpg

Draco69
I actually think that's a very cool pic of Namor. He looks very imposing. Just get rid of that...thing on his head. The Trident looks very dangerous and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that.

The Ion
Yeah, you gotta love Liefeld.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/tgtmarvel/liefeld02.jpg

Nice knockers there, Cap. confused

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by Draco69
I actually think that's a very cool pic of Namor. He looks very imposing. Just get rid of that...thing on his head. The Trident looks very dangerous and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that.

The Trident is cool.

But the face and that awkward thing in his head look stupid.

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by The Ion

Nice knockers there, Cap. confused sick What the f**k?

willRules
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Really? You think Romita Jr. is brilliant? His art isn't anything special as far as I can tell. To me, it's just way to cartoon-ish. I guess that's the only way I can describe it.

As for an artist that I think is quite good, I would have to pick Bryan Hitch. That guy's detail is amazing. Whenever I read the Ultimates, I am always in awe at how good he can be.

Oh I like Romita jr's art.

I agree with Bryan Hitch though. He is a great artist.............

Blair Wind
I REALLY like Turners batman, hawkman, flash, Superman, wonderwoman, green arrow, Fathom, Green Lantern....damn any Justice league character....He did a decent Spiderman....man I like anything Turner....

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by The Ion

Nice knockers there, Cap. confused laughing out loud

Hegemon875
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
Alex Ross draws everything best.

That's why he is the best artist for Namor.

Worst guy is the demonspawn who drew this:

http://spider-bob.com/heroes/marvel/images/SubMariner06.jpg

I dont really think its the artwork thats bad there but the pose they've got namor in >_<'

Draco69
I have a question about Namor...

Is Namor NATURALLY hairless or does like I don't shave or wax and stuff...?

xmarksthespot
I'd assume it's natural, for streamlining.

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by Draco69
I have a question about Namor...

Is Namor NATURALLY hairless or does like I don't shave or wax and stuff...?

Naturally, probably. He has been like that since kid. Since he has lot of attributes that sea life has, it would be logical for his skin to be like dolphins. When etc. Thing tried to grab him, he was slippery as eel.

In some comics, they though tend to draw hair to him...and his hair in head grows:

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/30815272177.gif&s=x11

golem370
How about

Darth Vicious
While i used to like him way back i would have to say anything that Rob Liefield is bad, all his characters look alike. Any girl that michael Turner draws is great and anything that Jim Lee does is great also.

The Ion
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/tgtmarvel/captain.gif

xmarksthespot
laughing out loud laughing laughing out loud laughing

SnakeEyes
Disturbing...

Lucid Lui
O_O

Very disturbing... yet i can't stop looking...

Blair Wind
want milk?

Creshosk
http://home.earthlink.net/%7Egrotesqueanatomy/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/capnekkid.jpg
and a wittle winky.

The Ion
laughing

xmarksthespot
laughing

brainchild81
Liefield sux. Quietly draws weird lips on everybody. JR JR makes everybody too wide. McFarlane makes Spidey and Spawn's faces too damn long. Larsen an Bagely are the best Spidey artists. Turner makes people too skinny. Ed McGuinness makes everybody look like they're hooked on venom. And the guys from Udon who did Street fighter and the Taskmaster mini are the best in the biz for whoever they draw. Terry Dodson draws the best MJ and Black Cat. I like 'em thick.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.