Disk Drives

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mystifier
I've got two drives installed in my PC. A CD-Writer and a DVD drive. But for some reason they've just.. well.. disappeared?

If I place a disk in either of 'em the computer won't detect em. Also if I go into my computer they are normally two more icons under the heading of 'Drives With Removable Storage'. Yet, they've gone for some reason..

So, I went into Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager. Now inside there it does show my two drives, but there's yellow exclamation marks next to 'em.

I tried to update the drivers by clicking on the little button at the top of the screen. It just ran a wizard which searched for a bit and then it said the drivers for the drives couldn't be updated.

One last thing if I go into Device Manager and select either drive, then go into Properties I get this error message:

"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"

Koala MeatPie
Try Physically un Pluging them, and Re plugign Them, there should be a "new Hardware" icon, click it, take the install CD for your DVD and re-install it.

If that doesn't work, update your windows drivers, if that doesn't work, take your OS cd and from there select "install" and ounce the computer reboots select "repair" and I do mean " " becasue most of the time it causes more problems then it slves (you might be missing MS Paint, or Voice recorder after that....)

RedAlertv2
I had this same problem with my laptop. The only solution I could find was to perform a system restore. Just set your computer back to a date when the drives worked.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.