In the end

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

starwarsrules14
I was just wondering, hardcore fans have waited for years to find out what it was like before the original Star Wars. Now that we know, now that we know all of the characters, their backgrounds, their personalities, are we really happy with it. Despite some bad acting and some just plain stupid characters, are we all satisfied with what it is. I know I am. This is just a thread to look back at the mystery before and what it is now. Now that it is all over.

*prepares for the onslaught of "Stupid Thread"s.* If this dosen't belong here tell me. Sorry for trying to make a good thread.

Ushgarak
Oh yes, I like it very much. Leaving plot and so forth aside, the PT era is a much more interesting background setting.

DeVi| D0do
Honestly, I don't even remember thinking about what came before ANH before the PT was released... It didn't matter to me.

Am I happy with how it turned out? I'm not unhappy... Sure, it could have been better, but after all the PT is just backstory. It's unnecessary, but I don't regret it was made.

And it's not like you have to pay particular attention to ANY of the PT... Just pretend it doesn't exist and the OT is just as it was 10 years ago...

starwarsrules14
I liked it though. It is nice to know the parents of Luke and Leia better. I was curious as to what they were really like.

allofyousuckkk
i always wanted to know what they looked like...how darth vadar looked before he was alll eww in ROTJ

ESB- 1138
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Honestly, I don't even remember thinking about what came before ANH before the PT was released... It didn't matter to me.

Am I happy with how it turned out? I'm not unhappy... Sure, it could have been better, but after all the PT is just backstory. It's unnecessary, but I don't regret it was made.

And it's not like you have to pay particular attention to ANY of the PT... Just pretend it doesn't exist and the OT is just as it was 10 years ago...
I disagree with the PT just being background story. You must see that the PT played an important role in the Star Wars story. TPM couldn't have been made and no one would have really cared but with ATOC and ROTS it was having Anakin (Who we first learned to be the greatest pilot in the galaxy to being Darth Vader) going down the darkside. I for one believe that Star Wars was incomplete with just the OT. The OT refers to events that happened in the PT for Luke and Ben talked about the Clone War and I for one always wanted to know what was the Clone War.

starwarsrules14
I read a joke that said you know your a star wars fan if you would jump off a cliff to hear the name of Anakin's wife. I am quite happy with the characters and how they are made out to be. Are you?

Jedi Priestess
after waiting 25 plus friggen years I can say yeah it werx fer me thumbsup

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by ESB- 1138
I disagree with the PT just being background story. You must see that the PT played an important role in the Star Wars story. TPM couldn't have been made and no one would have really cared but with ATOC and ROTS it was having Anakin (Who we first learned to be the greatest pilot in the galaxy to being Darth Vader) going down the darkside. I for one believe that Star Wars was incomplete with just the OT. The OT refers to events that happened in the PT for Luke and Ben talked about the Clone War and I for one always wanted to know what was the Clone War.
Well, I disagree. It isn't important to know exactly how events played out, just that they did...

The Star Wars saga worked perfectly fine without the PT. And some would argue that it even worked better...

SS_181st_Snow
I was really disappointed. A part of me has always wanted to know who Vader really was, but then after I learned after the whole PT, I look at him in a whole new light...He isn't the bad, dark, menacing figure of evil that he was when I was 8..PT ruined vader.

ESB- 1138
Really? It gave Vader more feeling to me in the OT. Now he isn't just some random bad guy trying to rule the galaxy. Now he was once someone trying to protect the galaxy but fell to the darkside for someone's twisted plan.

Tangible God
TPM and the bad acting that followed it, with the exception of Christopher Lee, completely ruined my perspective of the backstory.

TPM was too childish, it was a kid's movie.
AOTC had the worst acting of all 6 movies.
ROTS was better, but missing.......something.

chinabing
I love all 6 chapters. Some parts more, some less. I don't apologize for it; I Love the OT, love the PT. The pieces all fell together for me watching the PT. It was like finishing a complicated jigsaw puzzle.

It was basically ALL a kid's movie, but one that dealt with universal truths and choices and struggles. I am very happy with it.

Sir Mist
Originally posted by SS_181st_Snow
I was really disappointed. A part of me has always wanted to know who Vader really was, but then after I learned after the whole PT, I look at him in a whole new light...He isn't the bad, dark, menacing figure of evil that he was when I was 8..PT ruined vader.

Anakin only just became Vader though, he's got a whole 20yr gap to fill of being bad ass...I'd say he'd be a total bad ass after ep3, when he's lost everything and has nothing to go back to...he's all confused about what he should be doing in ep3...

Originally posted by Tangible God
TPM and the bad acting that followed it, with the exception of Christopher Lee, completely ruined my perspective of the backstory.

TPM was too childish, it was a kid's movie.
AOTC had the worst acting of all 6 movies.
ROTS was better, but missing.......something.

Yeah...well, I dont mind TPM being too childish, but it seems like the odd one out...AOTC had nothing really interesting storywise, asides from Anakin/Padme and the Clones, it could have had a stronger Anakin/Obi Wan bond though.....

Captain REX
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Oh yes, I like it very much. Leaving plot and so forth aside, the PT era is a much more interesting background setting.

yes

I did wonder, at some point or another, about the times when Jedi were more plentiful. Of course, it was nothing at all like we see in the PT.

That, and Anakin was one of those huge, muscle-bounded, morally amazing characters that one day screwed himself over somehow by falling in debt to Palpatine and betraying the Jedi.

That, and Vader killed him. big grin (I hadn't seen ESB yet)

And I was 7! eek!

Darth Jello
i kinda liked the original concept of vader more-he singed his lungs and scarred himself on mustafar, requiring a breath mask. then he lost his limbs and gradually became more and more mechanical as he hunted down jedi, eventually piecing together the black suit

Captain REX
Well, the fans will have to assume that still happens somewhat. If you look at him while Palpatine is shocking the hell out of him, you can see that he has a neck brace fused to his bone.

Dan Skywalker
Although I havent been a star wars fan since it came out (I wasnt even alive in 1977) I became a 'hardcore' fan when the SE came out in 1997 and I've loved every minute of the PT.
PT answered many questions i had as a child. What were the clone wars?, how did Anakin become Darth Vader? etc. It also turned up interesting and exciting revelations, new characters and situations. If i had my way I would maybe have done one or two things differently, but looking back on it all, it all turned out brilliantly smile

Darth Jello
Originally posted by Captain REX
Well, the fans will have to assume that still happens somewhat. If you look at him while Palpatine is shocking the hell out of him, you can see that he has a neck brace fused to his bone.

Isn't that his voicebox? I mean before episode III, it was assumed that that was an implant to restore spinal function cause he broke C-3 on mustafar but now it just looks like a voicebox implant. Plus, even with his level of power and training, i find it highly doubtfull that he could massacre a temple full of Jedi without a scratch to show for it.

starwarsrules14
I do think of Vader a little differently now, but it is still nice to see what he looked like and what his personality was like. I don't see the purpose of Jar Jar Binks but I am not going to start that in here. Now we know the background of Luke and Leia's family.

overlord
It didn't really impress me, I excepted much more of the so called clone wars, some planets totally sucked like Felucia, Utapau, Geonosis, Tatooine, f*ck those ugly boring planets. I wasn't really impressed by romantic and so called dramatic scenes too.

I did like Naboo and Kamino for originality and the jedi masters were semi interesting but Lucas made them seem like numbskulls (though I can live with Sids killing ugly jedi as Sids is supposed to be uber master) and lots of useless explanations bothered me. After all it's sci-fi and Lucas doesn't have to hold back.

Yoda was awefull and Sidious' mutant version scared the crap out of me and not in a good way. Anakin seemed like a horrible pussy and Lucas really made him annoying at times. I didn't like Ewan McGregor whatever being the hero either.

But the Dooku aspect and Mace versus Sidious was worth a movie!
In overall I think George Lucas should've put some more time in the whole PT story and should've focused more on universal war and the horrors of it and some more sci-fi.
This may seem very negative but I just have a vivid imagination and therefor expected much more from it.

truejedi
I enjoyed all three PT movies, and sure, there were things i would have liked to seen: How evil the empire actually was to everyone. It seemed like, for all we could see, that they just killed the Jedi. The clone wars ravaging all the planets. I would liked to have seen Vader be more evil, and with a better reason, instead of one he just created in his mind. As it was, Vader seemed more confused than anything else. It doesn't seem like confusion would take 20 years to finally clear up. I mean, after Padme dies, what is his motivation with staying with Padme.
I would happily have watched three movies that were 4 and a half hours in length, it just wouldn't have done for the general populace i guess. I loved the OT, love the PT, just wish there were going to be more.

vader519
I am very satisifed with the whole saga.

ESB- 1138
Originally posted by overlord
It didn't really impress me, I excepted much more of the so called clone wars, some planets totally sucked like Felucia, Utapau, Geonosis, Tatooine, f*ck those ugly boring planets. I wasn't really impressed by romantic and so called dramatic scenes too.

I did like Naboo and Kamino for originality and the jedi masters were semi interesting but Lucas made them seem like numbskulls (though I can live with Sids killing ugly jedi as Sids is supposed to be uber master) and lots of useless explanations bothered me. After all it's sci-fi and Lucas doesn't have to hold back.

Yoda was awefull and Sidious' mutant version scared the crap out of me and not in a good way. Anakin seemed like a horrible pussy and Lucas really made him annoying at times. I didn't like Ewan McGregor whatever being the hero either.

But the Dooku aspect and Mace versus Sidious was worth a movie!
In overall I think George Lucas should've put some more time in the whole PT story and should've focused more on universal war and the horrors of it and some more sci-fi.
This may seem very negative but I just have a vivid imagination and therefor expected much more from it.

Umm buddy, Revenge of the Sith was not about the Clone War. It was about Anakin's fall to the darkside (not the Jedi Purge or the birth of the Empire) it is just about Anakin's downfall to the darkside. (The clone war, jedi purge, and rise of the empire are just part of that story)

overlord
Originally posted by ESB- 1138
Umm buddy, Revenge of the Sith was not about the Clone War. It was about Anakin's fall to the darkside (not the Jedi Purge or the birth of the Empire) it is just about Anakin's downfall to the darkside. (The clone war, jedi purge, and rise of the empire are just part of that story)

I know that is true, I don't really know what part of my message you were referring to but I thought the PT should've focused more on clone wars instead of seemingly minor conflicts and the poorly done romantic stuff.

starwarsrules14
I think it was right not to focus so much on the Clone Wars. This way we got a lot of character backup and we know the general idea of why they were started.

overlord
Wow, even less war? Why not just call it 'Star Romance', even though nobody cares about the background of some characters.

starwarsrules14
It dosen't need less war either. Ugh. It is perfect and that is that.

Mstr GEKA
My initial reaction to TPM was :"WTF this isn't Star Wars... but that JAR-JAR was fun (I know sorry... but let me assure that the french version has a more "adult" Jar-Jar)...

Then when I've seen AToC I thought:"F***k TPM wasn't that bad after all... and what with those clones ( In the old french version of ANH the clone wars were dubbed as the Dark War)

After having seen them all (in english finaly)I can say that I like them all... But I still have problems looking at the 6 as a whole... 1-3 are so different in style to 4-6 that sometimes it doesn't seem to be the same universe... and this explain my first reaction to the PT.

In the end I spent so much time thinking about the PT ( before they came out) that the movie couldn't match my imagination (that's what happen when you leave too much time to think)

In the end, I have been bitching about the PT up until I've seen ROTS which realy made the whole PT worthy...

PS: GL is right (or should I say the Budhist) attachement is the way to the dark side... W/o attachement there is no pain... I made the mistake to have attachements... and now it is all suffering. Star Wars couldn't make more sense now than ever before.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.