Taris was infinetly greater (>>>...~) than the Peragus Mining Facility

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ganner Rhysode
KotOR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KotOR II

Now, KotOR II wasn't a bad game at all, but it certainly did NOT match up to KotOR... The soundtrack was good, but not nearly as epic or intense, brilliant, and amazing as KotOR's, the character development was way underdone and no where near as impressive as KotOR's, and the KotOR II sidequests were far and inbetween, and the few sidequests they did offer where very underdeveloped, and no where near as interesting, involving, or as fun as the ones in KotOR.

Add to that that the introduction world (Peragus) was a pain. The story behind it was kind of cool, but it was really, like most of the game, underdone, and there was a lot of stuff that they could have filled the gap with, and very much so a large contrast to Taris, which again, in my opinion, was very well done and had a lot going on, and was a very fun planet.

And, as all KotOR II bashing threads end up doing, the ending was completely horrible. Once you get to the Jedi Enclave, everything else is rushed and it literally forces you through the rest of the game, with no choice on your part for as to what you do, and the ending, in addition to being rushed, had little to no substance and virtually no closure, although some could be obtained from talking to the final boss before killing her.

I just pray the KotOR II Restoration Project and the M4-78 side project goes well and does to this game what I hope it can do, and can make it at least stand up to KotOR, and be otherwise a much more enjoyable experience.

Darth_Glentract
I agree with you.

Deus Ex
I think it's highly subjective. Personally, I prefer replaying KOTOR II way over one. Peragus was more fun to me than slogging around for four hours to get off of boring Taris just to spend two hours on Dantooine and then get to go to a few planets. Woo hoo. Way too much time to waste doing the same things each play-thru.

The battle system was better in II. KOTOR I had horrible AI (Especially on the PC) and there was little unique feats for characters or things such as item customization or a wide selection of feats.

Aesthetically, both are lacking. But I give KOTOR II credit for not screwing up on jedi robes, and for having even better minigames.

The endings? Both sucked IMO. I like long, well done endings that make me feel as though I've earned them. KOTOR I shows me a short clip. KOTOR II has missing info and a shorter clip. Both annoyed me to no end.

Ganner Rhysode
I did like the KotOR II battle system and AI, I'll give you that, and the robes were good. I also liked the upgrade item system.

But the only minigames I can recall were Swoop Racing, Pazaak, and manning the turrets at Onderdon. All of those were the same in KotOR I, save for Swoop Racing, and I personally prefered the more simplistic style.

However, I personally enjoyed Taris, and all the sidequests it offered. (Whereas Peragus had none, and once you got off, you still had to do a huge quest on Telos, similar to Dantooine.)

However, I, again, liked Dantooine, and found the second half of Telos (the Telos Surface) to be rather annoying...

Darth_Glentract
What was up in KOTOR 2 when that guy in swoop racing kept telling me I didn't finish?

Deus Ex
Where at?

Ushgarak
Basically, I think it can be very much agreed that the anaemic, underpopulated backgrounds in KOTOR II were an issue. It's not as if they were terrible, but it looked asd if they had taken a half-step backwards. Taris from the first is an example of a minimum they should have built on in both games; as it is, it remains thne most detailed setting they ever did, which is all wrong.

It is, of course, very difficult as of yet to do highly populated and real-seeming settings- especially in the time they had to do KOTOR II. Nonetheless, the problem remains- and it was a mistake to try and do Nar Shadda at all if you could only do it as a ghost town.

mace=badass
I really liked Taris but Peragus was very annoying for me. Don't get me wrong, I very much liked KotORII, just it didn't match up with KotORI. I agree with you.

Sorgo
Peragus was extremely boring and isolated. Taris was filled with people and cool missions, including a beautiful Cityscape.

Taris rules.

Tengu Man
yesword

Emerica67
i cant remeber if i read it off this site or a magazine but kotor III is being made and its supposed to be alot better.

Great Vengeance
I completely agree, Taris might be the best planet in both games while Peragus just might be the worst.

SnakeEyes
In my opinion, the first part of a game is pivotal in the overall feel and impression that I get from it. The creators should have put a lot more effort into making the beginning memorable.

Ianus
I guess to each his own. I personally liked the dingy, dark feel of Peragus. It reminded me of the space element of Star Wars.

Taris made me feel like I was on some sterile metal planet.

SnakeEyes
Well, I'm not really saying the Peragus was horrible or anything. But there were no side quests or alternative options that would cause different things to happen in the story. It just felt like it was missing something. Taris was a lot more lively and it had many more things to do.

Darth Koroni
Ugh... Taris.

No offense, but Taris makes me hate Bioware so much! At least Peragus makes sense and isn't poorly written, unlike Taris where everyone is poorly written and paper-thin.

Great Vengeance
Originally posted by Darth Koroni
Ugh... Taris.

No offense, but Taris makes me hate Bioware so much! At least Peragus makes sense and isn't poorly written, unlike Taris where everyone is poorly written and paper-thin.

I respect your opinion but I dont see how Taris was poorly written or thin. It was easily the largest and deepest of the worlds in both games, It should of been the standard for all the planets but instead things started going downhill after they pulled off that magnificent first chapter in your kotor experience.

Dirk Jade
I liked how Taris had sooo much stuff to do that it was hard to remember doing it all. but i didnt like the fact that you could pretty much be 80%-90% lightside/darkside by the end of it. i think that once you get a certain amount of lightside/darkside points it should be harder to get more. like on dantoine Lying to the Jedi Council gave you 2 darkside points but killing Dia gave you 1... i think that the acts of cruelty/mercy should be scaled some how... i mean murder is worse than lying is it not? also i think the endscenes were realy bad on both games imo.
and in TSL The ebon Hawk crashes and gets destroyed right? so how then does it pick you up after you kill Darth Traya? And what the hell got accomplished with the remote on malachore V?

Veneficus
I liked both games...but the KOTOR II ending needs a rework.

Ianus
Eh, Taris was a chore, not a fun place. It was interesting the first time. Yeah, okay. Whoop!

Every time after that? It becomes a living hell. I can go through Peragus inside of an hour or so. Taris? FOUR HOURS every time. Unless I hack with cheats and skip every unneccesary side quest, then I can bring it down to two hours.

And then spend an equal amount of time on Dantooine doing fetch quests for the lazy jedi who apparently are part of the We Stand In A Semicircle Guild.

So while I'll concede that Taris has life and quests, Peragus is no-nonsense and over with quickly.

exanda kane
I found Peragus was dull and not a nice place to be when first playing TSL and it gets worse everytime sad.

And Taris can be completed in 2 hours easily without cheats or skipping with a nice friendly feeling apart from the xenophobic guy.

KingDubya
I think main reason people liked Taris a lot more than Peragus is that on Taris, you could actually interact with people; on Peragus the only people there (other than you) were Atton, Kreia, T3, Darth Sion, the Sith that followed him, and the HK-50. And, of course, an abundance of corpses.

Dirk Jade
xenophobic guy? whats that?

Ganner Rhysode
Xeno means species, so xenocide, for example, would mean the destruction of a species, and a xenophobic man would be one who fears other species.

He's the guy on the North part of Taris who speaks out against aliens and says you must rally together and remove them, blah blah.

Dirk Jade
oh ok thanks. "Gordan Calo has marked your face" that dude right?

Darth Koroni
Originally posted by Great Vengeance
I respect your opinion but I dont see how Taris was poorly written or thin. It was easily the largest and deepest of the worlds in both games, It should of been the standard for all the planets but instead things started going downhill after they pulled off that magnificent first chapter in your kotor experience.

Mostly the Outcasts, many of their lines bug me. Like where they ***** about how they have no weapons and are doomed, despite the fact that they've been living there for generations. Or the entire concep, it wasn't original really, it was a typical dystopian city, with the rich having all of the technology and luxury, the poor living in slums with gang wars, and the criminal outcasts, it's concept is exactly the same as Paradigm city from Big O.

Also the lack of motivation, and how you could get no DS points from robbing someones apartment really bugged me.

exanda kane
I have to admit that that part of Taris did bug me a little. The whole Rakghoul thing was a little 'cliched' i feel. But even Taris underworlds warmer than Peragus. I mean its practically just a Factory. How boring is that!

Nactous
Originally posted by Ganner Rhysode
KotOR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KotOR II

Now, KotOR II wasn't a bad game at all, but it certainly did NOT match up to KotOR... The soundtrack was good, but not nearly as epic or intense, brilliant, and amazing as KotOR's, the character development was way underdone and no where near as impressive as KotOR's, and the KotOR II sidequests were far and inbetween, and the few sidequests they did offer where very underdeveloped, and no where near as interesting, involving, or as fun as the ones in KotOR.

Add to that that the introduction world (Peragus) was a pain. The story behind it was kind of cool, but it was really, like most of the game, underdone, and there was a lot of stuff that they could have filled the gap with, and very much so a large contrast to Taris, which again, in my opinion, was very well done and had a lot going on, and was a very fun planet.

And, as all KotOR II bashing threads end up doing, the ending was completely horrible. Once you get to the Jedi Enclave, everything else is rushed and it literally forces you through the rest of the game, with no choice on your part for as to what you do, and the ending, in addition to being rushed, had little to no substance and virtually no closure, although some could be obtained from talking to the final boss before killing her.

I just pray the KotOR II Restoration Project and the M4-78 side project goes well and does to this game what I hope it can do, and can make it at least stand up to KotOR, and be otherwise a much more enjoyable experience.
I've been saying this for awhile.

Nactous
Originally posted by Ianus
I think it's highly subjective. Personally, I prefer replaying KOTOR II way over one. Peragus was more fun to me than slogging around for four hours to get off of boring Taris just to spend two hours on Dantooine and then get to go to a few planets. Woo hoo. Way too much time to waste doing the same things each play-thru.

The battle system was better in II. KOTOR I had horrible AI (Especially on the PC) and there was little unique feats for characters or things such as item customization or a wide selection of feats.

Aesthetically, both are lacking. But I give KOTOR II credit for not screwing up on jedi robes, and for having even better minigames.

The endings? Both sucked IMO. I like long, well done endings that make me feel as though I've earned them. KOTOR I shows me a short clip. KOTOR II has missing info and a shorter clip. Both annoyed me to no end.
What, I loved the Jedi Robes from KotOR 1.

Nactous
Originally posted by Dirk Jade
I liked how Taris had sooo much stuff to do that it was hard to remember doing it all. but i didnt like the fact that you could pretty much be 80%-90% lightside/darkside by the end of it. i think that once you get a certain amount of lightside/darkside points it should be harder to get more. like on dantoine Lying to the Jedi Council gave you 2 darkside points but killing Dia gave you 1... i think that the acts of cruelty/mercy should be scaled some how... i mean murder is worse than lying is it not? also i think the endscenes were realy bad on both games imo.
and in TSL The ebon Hawk crashes and gets destroyed right? so how then does it pick you up after you kill Darth Traya? And what the hell got accomplished with the remote on malachore V?
I find KotOR 1 ending ten times better, and I like it, it had closure. But in truth its not the beginning or ending that really makes a game, its the stuff in the middle, thats why my fav. part of KotOR is the 4 planets with Star Maps, it has the Star Wars feel of Discovery in it.

exanda kane
My conscience wouldnt let me wear the Jedi Robes from KOTOR 1. To be frank they were horrible.

Darth Koroni
Xeno means species, so xenocide, for example, would mean the destruction of a species, and a xenophobic man would be one who fears other species.

He's the guy on the North part of Taris who speaks out against aliens and says you must rally together and remove them, blah blah.

No, Xeno means stranger, that's why Xenomorph makes sense, Strange Form, not Species Form.

Ganner Rhysode
Then what would you call xenocide? I've seen it used in context in multiple published novels, referring to the destruction of an alien species...

KingDubya
Then what would you call xenocide? I've seen it used in context in multiple published novels, referring to the destruction of an alien species...
There was also the book actually called "Xenocide", in which a planet-wide xenocide almost happened by accident. Very good book.

Nactous
Originally posted by exanda kane
My conscience wouldnt let me wear the Jedi Robes from KOTOR 1. To be frank they were horrible.
We all have are own opinion, and I will respect yours.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.