DS vs. PSP

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BlackMamBA
I really cant wait for the Ds since its cuming out in November and i really want the Psp in march 05 But if i get to choose 1 i would get the Ds becuz its very unique and pluys im more of a Nintendo fan!!!

Dr. Strangelove
Both look cool, but Ill probably get a DS as im also a Nintendo fan and with the dual screen theirs more interesting gaming elements.

Shadow_King
what are you 2 talking about what is psp and nintendo ds?????

BlackMamBA
Where have u been buddy the Nintendo Ds is the new handheld and the Psp is the new Playstation handheld.Go to this site http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/28/news_6103616.html for the Ds and for the Psp check this 1 out http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/11/news_6097116.html

moshtitan
ill get both but the PSP is for much more than just gaming...im looking more foward to that.

Shadow_King
wow. when were they announced to come out.

BlackMamBA
They was annouce at e3 this May didnt u check out the site i gave u.

ChickinMeat
id be quite happy to get my paws on both those little beauties!

but being a metal gear solid fan, and MGS Acid is going to be released on the PSP, then i think id prefere a PSP, but only just!

Robo-Chocobo
Nintendo ds all the way.
all the new elements and the look of the gameboy advance sp,(especialy the nice clamshell design(Read:screen protector).

plus, nintendo has great history with their machines, and I know that when I get 1, not even a fricking nuclear bomb can destroy it(and it still will be playable).

i just dont trust sony's hardware record. the ps1 overheated and had issues there. the ps2 refuses to run certain disk with this disc read errr crap, and it has issues running older ps1 games. with that record I just dont know if i can trust it.

zinh
Though Sony beat Nintendo in ther own market makes me want a psp stick out tongue I had a original psx that overheated and I had to turn on its side but the psx had good games that I did that for smile Remember the 64 release? Yeah we all played mario for a while but then it got boring (or until like a year off then zelda came)stick out tongue

Just wait tell the games are released then pick smile

BlackMamBA
Tru mah bro went through lik 3 ps2 cuz they always have an error lik a couple months after he brought the thing i mean i love ps2 but i hate when that happen.Mah gamcube on the other hand i have it 4 lik a year its still running great !!!

ChickinMeat
i geuss its all down to luck really, i had a PSX, and it never broke down once and run like a dream. My PS2 has never broken down and runs like a dream. My friend has had the PS2 since the week it was released, that still works perfectly.

BlackMamBA
Werid cuz i no a couple of friends that have error reading ps2 too.

Robo-Chocobo
mine wont let me play DDR on it, and i just have more brand loyalty to nintendo.
they do handhelds right.

Puma-not just a shoe company

moshtitan
to each his own, but ive never had trouble with my psx or ps2.

Stealth Agent
PSP in my opionion looks better. Sony doesnt have the best trackt history. I have had two PS2's. It was very frusterating. I was never much of a nintendo person though.

BlackMamBA
The PSP did look better but did you no that the DS got redesigned and it look so kool! cool

Robo-Chocobo
cool is spelled with a c.,

and its did you know.

its look's so cool, with a s.

lololololololololololololololollolololololololollo
lololololololollololololololololol

im just idding you, i dont care about spelling to much..

I'm just exited that it's gonna be wireless. that looks cool. hey if the next nintendo console that comes out also has a gameboy...I mean DS hook up, then if it's wireless I wont have to buy a stupid cable..

hey black mamba, have you seen KB V.2? I was wondering if you had, since then you would know the brides name.

BlackMamBA
Yea I have

Robo-Chocobo
I wonder where i can get a kado mask like those guys...

SaTsuJiN
Nintendo DS will be mine! big grin ... sony's hunk of crap is too expensive and probably will get like 3 months of support and then be forgotten, as "UMB Discs" arent a widely accepted format in terms of PC's or stereo/dvd players..

BackFire
Agreed, I'd put my money on the DS, Nintendos track record for hand held systems is second to none.

BlackMamBA
Im going to give the PSP a try though .

Primitive Screwhead #1
I think it's great that a big time player such as Sony is attempting to move into the portable market. At worst, it will force Nintendo to take an already successful device with the Game Boy Advance and keep upping features and game libraries to stay ahead of the competition. They've pretty much gotten fat off of the cow, and their current library of games has gotten a little disappointing.

Still, I love my GBA... and I look forward to both the DS and PSP. Both look like they have tremendous potential, and it could make selecting between the two extremely difficult. The portable gaming market has needed a player like a Sony or a Microsoft in there to keep originality fresh.

Rhino
god im getting a freakin PSP, the damn thing is more powerful than a ps2!! unlike the stupid pathetic DS graphics looks like n64 plus it plays cartridges and it has dual screens...not so compact anymore

Red Superfly
Seriously man, you make some of the dumbest comments I have ever seen.

The DS folds you fool - but I guess you don't care because you'll have your graphically superior yet scratched-to-f*ck PSP.

DS graphics are somewhere between N64 and Gamecube

PSP graphics are somewhere between PSX and PS2.

What's so wrong with cartridges on a handheld? Those UMD discs are causing a bit of grief with publishers. Not only that - but the only thing (apart from games) they are really useful for is to watch films with - are you really that stupid as to buy UMD versions of future movies and/or buy all your DVD's again in a different format, just so you can watch them on the train? That's some expensive showing off.

PSP's games look lovely, but I'd rather go for the DS, mainly because it seems built for carrying around, wheras the only time I'd play as PSP is in my house, where it won't get scratched and I can sit and see the screen properly. So far, for me, the PSP's existence is a little redundant.

BlackMamBA
I agreee wit u but the PSP actually has ps2 graphics be cuz i saw a video
with Grand Turismo in it and it look exactly like the ps2 version. click on that site http://www.lik-sang.com/?click=news-3455-alert405

Red Superfly
Erm, no, that's the footage from PS2 Gran Turismo.

The footage from PS2 Gran Turismo isn't even PS2 footage either - a lot of it is movie (not in game).

PSM2 even confirmed the footage used for GT PSP was just the PS2 footage.

The PSP can handle a game pretty similar though.

BlackMamBA
Didnt u read the first paragraph it clearly says that GT4 is running on the PSP.

Red Superfly
Yeah, but not EXACTLY like the PS2 version.

They've also got Spider-Man 2 on the PSP - but that's not the same game as the PS2.

Spitback
X-box if they made one they would destroy sp and ds

JKozzy
The DS is said to be N64 graphics, never said Gamecube. It's a 64 bit handheld, just as the GBA is a 32 bit. They're both advances on the previous systems, but the PSP is going to be playing DVDs on UMD discs; the DS looks like it'll be cartridge-based again... plus the UMDs can store way more, and even though UMD isn't necessarily widespread, I'm sure the cartridge format the DS uses isn't exactly in every citizen's home either. Thank god Microsoft is staying out of this, I wouldn't want to see the hunk of crap they'd come up with. sick

I'd get a PSP first, but eventaully the DS as well... and they said the DS is in a league of its own, it's not meant to be completely portable, that another Game Boy is coming out to suceed the GBA, that this isn't its sucessor.

BlackMamBA
I highly doubt it.

BlackMamBA
Well the PSP looks alot like the ps2 version to me and I wasnt even talking about Spider Man 2.But what u are saying is tru then back it up wit gamefootage or sumthing.

Primitive Screwhead #1
Yeah. That's why Microsoft hasn't announced that they're making one, right?

ragesRemorse
I personally can't stand hand held game systems, but if i were going to make an investment i would go with the PsP. sony has the advantage of developing a system with the Gameboy advanced in mind. they are not going to release a product that is equal in performance,because that would just be pointless in making a handheld system. they know Nintendo has the fanbased loyalty in handheld gamming, so i believe they will have pulled all the stops in giving us somthing new. Besides the graphics for the PsP look like a watered down PS2.Why would you play Dc when you could play PS2 in a hand held version? The best graphics in a GBA game is snes, and i dont think there graphics will improve with the dc that much.The design of the PsP also looks impresive and far more convienant than the Dc, why would you take 2d over 3d anyway?, i mean the PsP crushes the dc in power and capability

SaTsuJiN
I have to agree.. I dont really find a point to portable gaming as Im a fan of multiplayer titles... luckily nintendo combines multiplayer with handheld wink

BlackMamBA
Why u keep calling it Dc when its the Ds.And its not all about the power and graphics its more about gameplay anbd battery life.

sparkeyknitt
I will Probably get nintendo ds. I like the games better for it. but when does it come out? and when does psp come out?

shadow225588
first off the PSP has a rechargable battrie ok its lasts about rougly 10 hours for gaming and only 2 hours for movies and it taks about rougly 2 hours to charge so my point is that if you want to watch a long movie like LOTR your looking at having to take a two hour break. So thats just crap.

DS-holiday 2004
PSP-spring 2004

Plus why would you pay 300$ for something that is just junk how many kids will say mom i want that for my birthday etc. and there mom will be thats way too much but ill buy the DS for only 150$

think about it

ragesRemorse
Sorry, mistake on the dc, mis-typed. I would agree with you about the gameplay factor about console and Pc games, but when it comes to handheld systems, your gameplay is limited to the power it has. PsP has far more power which leads me to believe that it's games will display new and original gameplay that handheld systems have not seen. Nintendo games in the gameplay department always stay the same with slight elaboration on it. The PsP Also seems to be far more conviieneant. You can also watch movies on it. This is just an added bonus. I think ounce the PsP struggles through the hurdle of the nintendo fan base, it will then dominate the handheld world.

ragesRemorse
You seriously dont believe people will pay the price for this? First off it isnt directed twords young kids. It is for the 18-35 demographic. People with paying jobs. Also of course people will pay 300$ for somthing like this. It is new, it will be hyped and it is from sony, a company with the most renowned track record in video games. Of course people will pay 300$. Or atleast trade games in to get the price down. Also about the fact on watching movies for only two hours, i'm sure it wil come with a power adapter that you can plug into the wall or a car cig lighter.

Primitive Screwhead #1
If the game library is at all promising, and it delivers on all of the features it promises, I'd drop the cash for one... of course, I also bought a 3DO way back in the day.

ragesRemorse
yeah but the 3do wasnt that bad, and could have been the Ps with better game developing. that thing was horribly expensive. I remember i paid $350 for mine, and this was back in the day like you said.

BlackMamBA
The GBA SP dont have that much Power and its dominating the Handheld market.

ragesRemorse
yeah bcause theres nothing else out there. ngage?. yeah failure, failure at birth and failure at conception. that 's it though no other competition.

BlackMamBA
Theres nothing out there becuz Nintendo crushed all the other Companys who tried lik Sega's Game Gear and remember the Neo Pocket?Thats why there isnt anthing else except for the N gage which is crap.

General Kaliero
It's rather funny watching you fanboys argue.

I've been a supporter of both sides for a very long time. However, the bare facts tell me the DS will win out.

Graphics: The DS graphics are somewhere in between the N64 and the GameCube. The PSP graphics are somewhere in between the PSX and the PS2. N64 vs. PSX: N64, by just a bit. GCN vs. PS2: GCN, and this can be seen just by the same game from both systems being run alongside one another. Advantage: Nintendo DS.

Media: the DS uses cartridges, a la GameBoy (but half the size of the GBA carts). The PSP uses "UMDs" (Universal Media Discs) which apparently hold 14 times the memory of the DS. Also, the UMDs support movies. While this looks good at first, a bit of thought reveals something a bit important: Why should we care? You're not gonna be able to watch movies very well on the tiny PSP screen, and any movies worth watching will more likely be seen on your TV using a DVD player, as you can, well, actually see movies there. Plus, cartridges, though they don't hold as much memory, are the staple of on-the-road gaming for an obvious reason: no load times. Cartridge media is accessed instantaneously, while discs take time to load (and a very long time at points, as PlayStation players have seen). Advantage: Nintendo DS.

Games: A very difficult point. The PSP has Metal Gear, Spider-Man, and Tony Hawk, along with Devil May Cry (Also, possibly, the Final Fantasy series). The DS has Zelda, Metroid, Mario, and WarioWare. Both have established series and great new games. Advantage: fairly even.

Design: Well, we do know that the DS is going to have a big makeover (and name change) so it's really, foolish to comment on DS design as of yet. Now for the PSP: That's a BIG screen for a portable system. Just about the right size to get the crap totally scratched out of it. alls I'm saying. Advantage: Unknown for now. Possible, though unlikely, that Nintendo will design a worse one than the PSP.

Release: Ah, the all important release... DS: this holiday season. PSP: NEXT SPRING! Lemme tell you somethin', guys: That does NOT help Sony. Sorry. However, I doubt Nintendo will get the redone DS out by November (as the say), so I think the launches will be about equal. Advantage: Unknown, but probably none.

Price: DS: probably around $150, probably just a BIT under. PSP: from the way spokespeople dance around the question, it'll probably be MUCH higher. And despite the fact that disc media costs less to make than cart media, don't even START to think Sony will sell their games for a lower price. Advantage: Nintendo DS.

Verdict: The DS will win out, simply because Nintendo is thinking intelligently, and relying on gameplay instead of hype and stats-on-paper.

BlackMamBA
IM not being a fanboy of anything im jus saying whats right jus lik u and i agreed wit u wit most of things u say.But the ds already came out wit a new name and new design right?

ragesRemorse
well stats on paper is what got sony where it is today, they are releasing the PsP in the very same fashion as the Psx against the N64 and saturn, and 3do Which dominate the PSx with ability and power. Sony hyped it up though, and challenged everyone head on promising to offer somthing new to the table, and though for the first three years all we got from sony was shit, they eventually delivered and never stopped after they started.

I believe as long as they can disrupt the loyal nintendo fans for a year, people will realize that Sony is not only going to improve on the PsP, what it offeres is far greater than than experiencing nintendo 64 type games all over again.

General Kaliero
You seem to think, Remorse, that N64-style graphics means N64-style games. But we've already seen that most DS games are going to be games like nothing we've played before. N64 is a thing of the past.

And as for the DS re-design and -naming, we only know that its undergoing the procedure, not what it will look like or be called.

Yuna33
psp all the way.

BlackMamBA
Im getting both but I really lik the Ds becuz of the innovated design.

ragesRemorse
Man the PsP will also offer free internet browsing using the wireless reciever whenever you are near an online hotspot. There is also a talkback feature where you can talk into the microphone and it will translate your sentence into another language for you. I mean think about this you can not only play and talk to people online at the same time, but also have your words translated for someone else in another language so you can understand each other. The multiplayer capabilites will allow up to 16 people. I dont think sony is investing a quick buck here,but honestly trying to be innovative in the world of handheld gameplay, an innovation we havent seen since the origin, with gameboy.

pertaining to the Ds design and name. Well the design cannot be much different, because it is going to have to be two split screens. I mean why would you want to play a game with two small screens, when you can play a game with a screen the same size of the two split screens. The lens and covering of the PsP will be scratch resistant. The convieniance will be much greater in the way of sony. ok your right about the 64 graphics, that doesnt mean we will get N-g4 games, but they wont be much different in graphics or gameplay. The graphics system for PsP is still overpowering when compared to the Ds. now all that remains is the question of gameplay for the PSP, and sony has proven to know what gameplay is and how to deliver on it.

Red Superfly

BlackMamBA
U dont no what u talking about Psp might not even have that feature where u talk and it translates its only a maybe and the Ds has the slipt screen which gives new ways to play game.U do no that bottom is a touch screen right cuz it aint jus 2 screens and developers lik the Ds better becuz of that so they can use that and make inovated games.Psp gamplay aint going to be any different but Ds is very different and new way to play games.

General Kaliero
-_-;;;

BlackMamBA, if you are going to argue, please try to do so coherently.

But yes, I believe MamBA has a point. The DS will feature the same online connectivity features as the PSP. And yes, developers are much more enthusiastic about the DS than the PSP.

The current design of the DS recalls the old Game&Watch handhelds from many years back. The design will change completely for the new generation. Believe it or not, there are several different ways to arrage the two screens.

As for the PSP's larve, vulnerable screen: So it's scratch resistant. This is a major argument point? I'm sorry, but my old pair of glasses were scratch resistant, and I could barely see through them for the scratches.

ragesRemorse
No that is just why you take care of your things. It is a laser cut polypholene plastic, scratch resistant screen on a screen. so yes it wil have it's protection. as for the talkback feature ,no, that is a feature to be added to the PsP pick up some gamicone magazines from time to time mamba. Of course i know that the bottom screen is going to be touch screen, so what, big whoop. That doesnt mean it will be utilized right. I would hope so,but doubt it.

Well GK about the many posable different posisition's i did not know about that. that is an interesting feature. I also diddnt know that ds would also have the same online capabilities. I may be swayed on my decesion, but i still think sony will pull it off. Not that i am going to buy one, but truthfully if i did i must confess it would a Ds because it would be cheaper. However, I dont want eigther one. I already devote enough hours a week to console games.

BlackMamBA
Whatever u say. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Morgoths_Wrath
Which next-generation hand-held console are you most looking forward to, or which do you think you would purchase first?

Stealth Agent
PSP ive always been a bigger sony fan then nintendo but im getting them both.

Stealth Agent
PSP ive always been a bigger sony fan then nintendo but im getting them both.

DanZeke25
psp

SaTsuJiN
thats "Dual" screen.. not duel.. and DS is what I prefer.. I love the enginuity of using a stylus integrated with 2 monitors. That makes for alot of creative gameplay ideas. The pre-installed drawing software is another perk wink

Wolf Dog
The DS because I already have a giant PSP at home.

ZomBiE_HunTER
theres already a thread like this http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=303957&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

ChickinMeat
i am the same, there both gonna be awesome!

Morgoths_Wrath
yes, that would be a typo. my bad

Wolf Dog
I have a giant PSP at home and plus I dont trust Sony making a the DVD-ROM or whatever drive it is durable enough.

ZomBiE_HunTER
I cant wait to pick up my Ds next sunday!!! big grin big grin big grin

dark1365
DS. I'm looking forward to Metroid Prime Hunters and Mario 64 DS. Do you know any new worlds in the Mario 64 sequel?

JKozzy
I want the PSP and prefer it, but at the moment, I'm psyched for the DS too, since it's out in a week and a day... I work at Target, so I'm pretty much getting the first one. big grin

ZomBiE_HunTER
Check out this site http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/dssupermario4x4/index.html

Stealth Agent
zorro What the f**k? bunny yes wacko thumb down sleep

The Doom Master
right, i'l get straight to da point. i'm trying to decide wot i shood get out of a ds or psp (wen it cums out!) can ppl plz help me out?

TwisterGameX
It's been out. DS is cheaper as well. Get both

Leo.M
psp is a ripoff...go for ds

Draco69
It depends on your taste. If you want kiddie games with puppies and little green reptiles giving ardous birth to polka-dotted eggs, then go buy a DS.

If you want a multi-entertainment system with a more extensive and mature gaming libary then get a PSP.

The Doom Master
get both? i don't think so! that would take way 2 friggin long! and TwisterGameX, i was talking about psp

Draco69
I wouldn't get EITHER. It's too expensive. And the gaming libary for BOTH is still quite small.

Just wait. Have Patience.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Draco69

If you want a multi-entertainment system with a more extensive and mature gaming libary then get a PSP.

Oh your forgot console ports. Actually as of right now, the PSP only has racing games and sports games, mixed one Dynasty Warriors game(another one) and a couple of really crappy mature rated games.
The best game is a puzzle game right now (nothing wrong with that).

If thats your thing, spend the huge amount of money for the PSP. Your going to have some fun playing crappy console ports.

Atleast wait a year before buying a PSP.

I just got a DS, its pretty cool. If you dont care about mature rated games, then its a good system. Its finally getting some good games. (Not including all the GBA games that can play on the DS)

Draco69
Originally posted by Smasandian

Atleast wait a year before buying a PSP.

Agreed. Too expensive. Not enough games. This is credential for ALL upcoming consoles in my opinion

I just got a DS, its pretty cool. If you dont care about mature rated games, then its a good system. Its finally getting some good games. (Not including all the GBA games that can play on the DS)

Good Games?

Like what?

Nintendogs?! laughing

ESB-1138
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Super Mario 64 DS
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubadour
Nintendogs

WindDancer
I don't own either but if had to choose I'll go with the DS.

Wolf Dog
If by "mature games" you mean games like GTA then I consider those to be pretty immature games. You're immature if you just ride off Nintendogs and Kirby Canvas Curse because they look too "kiddie", they actually have very creative and innovative gameplay mechanics. Let me quote someone from another forum witch I found somewhat true:
"Anyone who mentions "mature games" is automatically discounted as an idiot in my mind. Anyone who does not consider these people to be idiots are also discounted as being idiots. YOU are the reason PoP:WW sucks. YOU are the reason games forsake simplicity and good gameplay for dark colors and glam metal rock. You people make me ****ing sick."

whistle

Draco69
Why is GTA = Mature Games?

Please! I meant games that don't include yellow mouses that speak innane babble.

sully_2u
well you gotta figure what you like more..do you just want a pure gaming handheld or a mp3/movie/game handheld...if you dont want the movies or nothing then id go for DS, most of them are kinda kiddy but thats cuz they are just starting to really make them...there will be better games... ex. Need for Speed is on both handhelds and it kicks ass on both

The Doom Master
yah, wel, i gues u cant include metal gear acid as a decent game. konami friggin turned it into a turn based card game. how crappy is that? sully 2u, ya got a point about need 4 speed. its on both, but i reckon it has beter grphics on psp. so ya, i think i'll probably go with psp. i just thought of a nother reason. final fantasy 7 advent children is coming out on psp's format, and i so wunt 2 c dat. pursuit force looks pretty good, and so does coded arms. psp is definetly sounding like a better choice.

Wolf Dog
I said IF you were referring to GTA type games. So what games do you consider 'mature'?

Alpha Centauri
Why do people maintain the belief that Nintendo is a kids console because it doesn't rely on being ultra serious?

It can do both.

-AC

get a PSP, i'm getting a PSP soon and hopefully for free

you can get one for free too by clicking on my link

http://psps.freepay.com/?r=17495261

Ast
I have oddly ended up with both, and if you are getting one as a "gaming" handheld, than you must get the DS.

The most used feature of my PSP is music and watching Revenge of the Sith. big grin

The DS has great games out now(Mario 64, Kirny Canvas Curse, not to mention GBA games) and many coming soon.(Mario Kart, Metroid, Resident Evil, New Super Mario Bros)

Kumar
Originally posted by The Doom Master
yah, wel, i gues u cant include metal gear acid as a decent game. konami friggin turned it into a turn based card game. how crappy is that? sully 2u, ya got a point about need 4 speed. its on both, but i reckon it has beter grphics on psp. so ya, i think i'll probably go with psp. i just thought of a nother reason. final fantasy 7 advent children is coming out on psp's format, and i so wunt 2 c dat. pursuit force looks pretty good, and so does coded arms. psp is definetly sounding like a better choice.

if you stop talking like that then i will give my opinion.

ESB-1138
Metal Gear for the PSP sucked big time.

Neo_Version 7
PSP 4 life. thumb up

HigH ScholaR
there's this device in japan called the play - yan

Released in Japan in February 2005, the Nintendo Play-Yan is an add-on peripheral that allows the Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance portable systems to play ASF movies and MP3 files from an SD flash memory card. The Play-Yan has an SD slot for the memory card, and the entire unit slides into the GBA cartridge slot. It hasn't been released stateside yet, but we managed to smuggle one in for testing.

The video files play through the Play-Yan at 220x170 resolution and look impressive. A 512MB SD memory card can hold approximately two and a half hours of video and still have enough room for an album's worth of MP3 songs. Sound quality is above average, and users can use the built-in stereo plug on the unit to connect a set of headphones. Battery life averages about four and a half hours for video and 10 hours or more for MP3s. The L and R shoulder buttons control the screen brightness, while the D pad controls volume, fast-forward, and reverse. Despite the Japanese interface, the intuitive controls are easy to figure out.

The Play-Yan software menu is one of the most unusual we've ever seen. The initial menu gives you a hummingbird icon to move between movies or sound. The sound and files section is truly the crown jewel of weirdness. You move a little male character up or down a set of stairs, which has doors for folders and bathtubs to warp you from the start to the finish. A floating exit door with a propeller on top acts as the exit icon. Granted, Nintendo will likely overhaul the Play-Yan software if the peripheral ever makes it to the States.

The Play Yan takes SD memory cards.
The Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP, and Nintendo DS all offer similar picture quality. Due to the resolution difference, videos play in a letterbox on the DS, leaving a black band around the image. Compared to the SP, the normal GBA seemed to look better without the backlight, but the adjustable screens on the DS and the SP make it easier to create the best viewing angle for movie watching.

The Play-Yan can also run minigames, which Nintendo offers on its Japanese Web site. The games really are mini--they run at 62x42, which is the same resolution as the thumbnail previews of the video files, and they are extremely basic. The games available now would make the Intellivision proud, as they are simple one-button affairs, designed around the concept that simple, endless repetition can be fun. In one game called Fish, you move around a narrow path to avoid rocks. Another game has you control a little figure that dances on the steps in the Play-Yan file menu section. Here, the A button lets you duck and then jump to avoid an onslaught of helicopters and crabs infesting your file navigation menu.

While the minigames aren't very impressive, we can't forget that the Nintendo Play-Yan's primary function gives media player functionality to the GBA and DS systems. The unit plays music and videos fairly well, and we will keep an eye out for future developments.

HigH ScholaR
here's an image

so if you wanted to get a ds but had second thought becasue it couldn't play movies or musci well it can with the play yan.

HigH ScholaR
http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-15366-2094-x-x-x

scroll down a bit you'll see it in action

Neo_Version 7
That's actually pretty neat.

PSP owns...the DS might be selling better but the PSP is still better.

Tha C-Master
Playstation Portable, emulate and appreciate...

Red Superfly
Pick the one with the games you want.

Simple as that. Technology means nothing, and that has been the case since games began.

Ast
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Pick the one with the games you want.

Simple as that. Technology means nothing, and that has been the case since games began.

Well said. That is why I pick the DS, I still love the big N's game style. big grin

Neo_Version 7
DS is for losers. stick out tongue

Ast
Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
DS is for losers. stick out tongue

And people who like videogames. big grin

Wolf Dog
^agreed.

The Doom Master
hey, i like video games! LEAVE ME ALONE, YOU BUNCH OF... OF... VIDEO-GAME-PLAYER-TEASERS, YOU!

Spelljammer
right, i'l get straight to da point. i'm trying to decide wot i shood get out of a ds or psp (wen it cums out!) can ppl plz help me out?
Do yourself a favour and don't buy either one. They're not going to make any REAL games for the DS, just a bunch of Mario shit and things intended for 12 year olds like Sponebob gets Crabs or whatever..

It's all just a ploy to take your money. Don't fall for it.. Although if you prefer go with the PSP. Sony has been more reliable in not treating it's customers like monkies in milking a new system every week. Even the PS2 was backward compatible where as Nintendo who swore on it's mother that it would never go cd, suddenly went cd for the Game Cube..

TwisterGameX
Damn Nintendo, making a game boy advance thing. WTF Ds just came out and they already have a pic of the GBA3 2 or w/e and it's small ass hell, plus it is coming out soon...so if you got a nintendo BS then you got screwed

HigH ScholaR

TwisterGameX
Is DS going to stop making games after thats been out for a while, or does the DS still have better graphics, and will still live on.

Smasandian
Originally posted by TwisterGameX
Damn Nintendo, making a game boy advance thing. WTF Ds just came out and they already have a pic of the GBA3 2 or w/e and it's small ass hell, plus it is coming out soon...so if you got a nintendo BS then you got screwed

That is the most uneducated drivel I have ever seen.

First: GBA SP has been released for quite sometime, more than 3 years.
Then they released the DS, in which can play GBA games also, so all those GBA games you have, you can still play. They're still coming out with games for the next couple of years, so dont worry.
And last but not least, Game Boy Micro is another version of GBA, but smaller, to cater towards people who DONT have it. If you already have on, then dont buy it. They're not telling you too.
And the new Game Boy is all rumors, and probalby wont be release for 3-4 years.
If you get angry about that, what do you think happens with consoles?
Thats right, they get replaced by more powerful ones in 4 years. Thats the videogames industry, hell, thats the electronic industry.
DO you get mad when the release the same car every year but with more features and better engines?

Please do some research before you actually say something.

TwisterGameX
That is the most uneducated drivel I have ever seen.

First: GBA SP has been released for quite sometime, more than 3 years.
Then they released the DS, in which can play GBA games also, so all those GBA games you have, you can still play. They're still coming out with games for the next couple of years, so dont worry.
And last but not least, Game Boy Micro is another version of GBA, but smaller, to cater towards people who DONT have it. If you already have on, then dont buy it. They're not telling you too.
And the new Game Boy is all rumors, and probalby wont be release for 3-4 years.
If you get angry about that, what do you think happens with consoles?
Thats right, they get replaced by more powerful ones in 4 years. Thats the videogames industry, hell, thats the electronic industry.
DO you get mad when the release the same car every year but with more features and better engines?

Please do some research before you actually say something.

I didn't take it that seriously i am just saying, Ds JUST came out adn already they replacing it, as so I thought. thats like Psp2 coming out in a couple of months already.

Smasandian
What are they replacing it with?
Please tell me?

ESB-1138
DS will still come out with games even with micro out.

crazy_shadow
i would get psp, ive played both, ds breaks pretty fast, 3 of my friends had em and they like all are crapped out now with the touch screen, the psp the only problem id say is the glass cover where u have to clean it so it dont get all finger printy, but the good thing about that is for $5 u can buy a cover to keep that form happening and a plastic rappy thing so u can cover the screen so no fingerprints mess it up. so after tahts done which is bout $8 extra, its just the movies cuz the battery dies fast but it does recharge fast big grin

Smasandian
Game Boy Micro is just another GBA.
So, it doesnt matter if its out.

Its not anything new, just alot smaller.

Jedi-Kaisa
Originally posted by crazy_shadow
i would get psp, ive played both, ds breaks pretty fast, 3 of my friends had em and they like all are crapped out now with the touch screen

They're impatient or inexperienced with touch screens or just plain irresponsible.

Anyways. With the choosing consider these things:

DS: If you want advanced technology with cleverly made games and fine storylines, get this. But great care must be taken with the touch screen and hand-eye coordination.

PSP: If you're a sporty kind of person with the hype to play and don't really care about stories, get this. But be careful of a fragile battery case and a battery that probably won't last longer than 2 hours (come on, with a screen THAT big?).

The Doom Master
who cares about a touch screen? if its the quality of the games your after, go for the psp. the only thing that makes the nintendo ds different to the others before it is 3d graphics (even though their pathetic), dual screens (as the name suggests) and a touch screen. no real difference to the other ones. you can guarantee that im going to be trading in my gba and its games for a new psp. cue drooling..... argghhhh...... psp.......

powerfulone1987
I have both the DS and PSP and I think they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

You should look up info. on them on the internet and decide which one caters to your needs or just get both of them if you like both of them.

Personally. The first game I got for the PSP was Untold Legends and I still haven't played it, I don't know why I just never got around to it and I got more games and kept putting them ahead of that one. But I haven't played my PSP in a while though. It was a while before I played my DS again too, but then they started coming out with new games that I was attracted too so of course I am playing it again. Not on the regular with college and all the work but when I can.
I am still struggling to get "Nintendogs". So far whenever I go to get it, it is sold out. So once I get that , I will play it lots more also. Then the Yu-Gi-Oh! game came out and i got that, then soon Pokemon games are coming out so right now for me, the DS has more to offer.
I am actually glad that the DS is more successful than the Sony right now. It was kind of bold for the Sony to try and go on Nintendo's turf and try and take over. I believe Nintendo deserves their spot as leader in handheld games and deserves to stay there. Sony is leader in the consoles and that should be good enough.

StaT1c
right, i'l get straight to da point. i'm trying to decide wot i shood get out of a ds or psp (wen it cums out!) can ppl plz help me out? F*ck that shit. Get a Nokia N-Gage.

TwisterGameX
Originally posted by StaT1c
F*ck that shit. Get a Nokia N-Gage.

laughing

Smasandian
who cares about a touch screen? if its the quality of the games your after, go for the psp. the only thing that makes the nintendo ds different to the others before it is 3d graphics (even though their pathetic), dual screens (as the name suggests) and a touch screen. no real difference to the other ones. you can guarantee that im going to be trading in my gba and its games for a new psp. cue drooling..... argghhhh...... psp.......

Yeah, good quality games that is for the PSP.
Umm the only quality game and that is original for the PSP is Lumines.
The PSP is being supported with console ports. Why would somebody buy something that expansive for crappy versions of thier console games?

The DS has a couple of ports like Mario, but atleast most of the games are new games, not the same old games re-released.

Having the touch screen isnt anything different than the GBA?
Are you ****ing kidding me? Have you atleast tried the handheld?
Because if you think the DS is the same old shit, your going to have a really good time with the PSP. roll eyes (sarcastic)

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by StaT1c
F*ck that shit. Get a Nokia N-Gage.

lol

powerfulone1987
Because if you think the DS is the same old shit, your going to have a really good time with the PSP. roll eyes (sarcastic)

lol

Silverstein
nintendo does so many damn ports of their old games, make some new classics for god sakes instead of the same old shit, if i want to play with a puppy id buy one, the expensive price of the puppy will be worth it. afterall cheap things ARE cheap

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by Silverstein
nintendo does so many damn ports of their old games, make some new classics for god sakes instead of the same old shit, if i want to play with a puppy id buy one, the expensive price of the puppy will be worth it. afterall cheap things ARE cheap

You do realize that you cancelled out what you said above.

You say that they just make a bunch of ports and then you mention a game like Nintendogs that's just as original as they get and is obviously not a port.

TwisterGameX
It's like a Nano Baby thingy from the past...so power which you like better DS or PSP...do you own any of them ?

powerfulone1987
I have both, but I am feeling the DS right now.

The first game I got for my PSP was untold legends and I still haven't played it.

I am just not playing my PSP right now and I am playing my DS, I was having a dry spell but now that they are coming out with new games that attract my interest I am playing it.

DS is for me right now.

TwisterGameX
Not another one eek!

Ok here how this one goes....which is the best in

Looks(How the system looks and color)
Screens
Games
Battery Life
Graphics
More fun
Hardware
Over all system

Basic info

Ds
Has fun games
2 screens
A Stylus and touch pad
Plays gba games
Games cost cheaper
System cost cheaper
Will be able to play online soon when the Wifi comes out and pic chat
Other

Psp
Big screen and clear images
Plays umds(movies)
Games
Music
Photo
Can go online and browse on the internet when wifi comes out
Can play people online
Can take videos and music from your cpu on to the psp with a usb cable that they have now.
Can take images from your psp and put in the phot section and can also use it as wall paper
Has a joy stick thing which sucked a little but they just released some more bigger and better grip joy stick things.
Other

ESB- 1138
Looks(How the system looks and color): DS...little laptop
Screens: DS. 2 screens
Games: DS
Battery Life: DS (13 hours ((DS)) vs. 1 hour 40 minutes ((PSP)))
Over all system: Nintendo DS

TwisterGameX
Originally posted by ESB- 1138
Looks(How the system looks and color): DS...little laptop
Screens: DS. 2 screens
Games: DS
Battery Life: DS (13 hours ((DS)) vs. 1 hour 40 minutes ((PSP)))
Over all system: Nintendo DS

laughing out loud I agree with almost everything. Screens goes to the psp hands down..it is much bigger and clear.

I added more chioces so answer the new ones too.

JKozzy
DS for originality, affordability, and the Nintendo license.

TwisterGameX
I just dloaded the Sonic and Mario songs to my Psp eek!

BackFire
I'll be getting a DS

JKozzy
What's on your list of games to get, BF?

I assume Metroid Prime: Hunters is on there stick out tongue

TwisterGameX
Originally posted by BackFire
I'll be getting a DS

Hell yeah Happy Dance backfire is now one of us evil face Always ask me whats good for ds. Tell me when you get it(when are you getting it?)

TwisterGameX
Originally posted by JKozzy
What's on your list of games to get, BF?

I assume Metroid Prime: Hunters is on there stick out tongue

get Jump super stars as an import damnit. It sells in us(jap places) think super smash bros melee with 150 anime charcters eek!

BackFire
I'll probably be getting it for Xmas.

I plan on getting Nintendogs, Mario 64, Castlevania and Meteos.

TwisterGameX
Originally posted by BackFire
I'll probably be getting it for Xmas.

I plan on getting Nintendogs, Mario 64, Castlevania and Meteos.

I guess syou don't need my help on good games. Maybe just maybe mario kart come sout before xmas and has wifii

JKozzy
November 14th... I plan on getting it not a day later. yes

TwisterGameX
Damn straight. get that to Backfire. Or just get the wifii thing they are putting out when mario comes out so I could beat you up in games from my house.....well i don't think it goes that far..well who know...

TwisterGameX
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=374603&highlight=twister Take a look for good games. Also I hear FF3 is coming for the Ds..or was it the Psp..I think it was the Ds.

TwisterGameX
I was looking at the covers for nintendogs and then when I looked to my left these cute girls started to laugh at me ninja while they were picking up some Psp Umd. sad ( Damn American girls)

JKozzy
UMD=sick

TwisterGameX
UMD=sick

laughing I guess you don't have a psp.

JKozzy
Nay. And if I did, I'd find a way more affordable way to watch movies. Biggest rip ever.

TwisterGameX
Nay. And if I did, I'd find a way more affordable way to watch movies. Biggest rip ever.

laughing out loud wonder you sounded like you hate the psp. Well I have both and rather Nintendo but I guess more harrasment when i am out side with the DS than The Psp with girls.

Umds if they are new new cost 20 if I dn if any are 29 but old umds(old movies) cost as less as 9.99 or 7

JKozzy
All the good ones I see are 20-30 bucks. I'd invest in a memory card and convert my DVDs that I already bought into MPEG4, or get the PSP HD. I'd never buy a movie I already owned in a second format so I could watch it on a portable game system.

TwisterGameX
All the good ones I see are 20-30 bucks. I'd invest in a memory card and convert my DVDs that I already bought into MPEG4, or get the PSP HD. I'd never buy a movie I already owned in a second format so I could watch it on a portable game system.

Well the music part is kool. Damn Ipods are defective and got called back.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>