Blade Runner still better than 99.99% of Sci Fi movies out there.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr _Whirlysplat
Blade Runner (1982), rising director Ridley Scott's follow-up to his hit Alien (1979), is one of the most popular and influential science-fiction films of all time - and it has become an enduring cult classic favorite. But the enthralling film was originally a box-office financial failure, and it received negative reviews from film critics who called it muddled and baffling. It also wasn't encouraging that it faced Spielberg's E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) during its opening release.

It received only two Academy Award nominations without Oscars: Best Art Direction/Set Decoration, and Best Visual Effects. The evocative, inventive, stylistic film has improved with age and warrants repeated viewings. The dense, puzzling, detailed plot of the film is backed by a mesmerizing, melancholy musical soundtrack from Greek composer Vangelis - undeservedly overlooked for an Oscar nomination.

Stylistically, the film was arresting with fantastic, imaginative visual effects conceived by futurist design artist Syd Mead, and influenced by the vision of Fritz Lang's Metropolis (1927) and Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). Another inspiration for the film was the 1974 science fiction book by novelist Alan E. Nourse titled The Bladerunner, set in the year 2014 about people who sold medical equipment and supplies to 'outlaw' doctors who were unable to obtain them legally. Many films have attempted to duplicate the dystopic, cyberpunkish look of Blade Runner, including Batman (1989), Johnny Mnemonic (1995), Strange Days (1995), The Fifth Element (1997), Dark City (1998), The Matrix (1999), and I, Robot (2004).

The ambitious, enigmatic, visually-complex film is a futuristic film noir detective thriller with all its requisite parts - an alienated hero of questionable morality, a femme fatale, dark sets and locations in a dystopic Los Angeles of 2019, and a downbeat voice-over narration. The film mixed in some western genre elements as well, and is thematically similar to the story in High Noon (1952) of a lone marshal facing four western outlaws.

The main character in Blade Runner is a weary, former police officer/bounty hunter who is reluctantly dispatched by the state to search for four android replicants (robotic NEXUS models) that have been created with limited life spans (a built-in fail-safe mechanism in case they became too human). The genetically-engineered renegades have escaped from enslaving conditions on an Off-World outer planet. Driven by fear, they have come to Earth to locate their creator and force him to prolong their short lives.

The film's theme, the difficult quest for immortality, is supplemented by an ever-present eye motif - there are various VK eye tests, an Eye Works factory, and other symbolic references to eyes as being the window to the soul. Scott's masterpiece also asks the veritable question: what does it mean to be truly human? One of its main posters advertised the tagline: "MAN HAS MADE HIS MATCH - NOW IT'S HIS PROBLEM."

The film's screenplay (originally titled Dangerous Days and Android) by Hampton Fancher, and later supplemented by David Peoples, was based on science-fiction writer Philip K. Dick's 1968 novel, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Originally filmed without a monotone, explanatory voice-over in a somber, Raymond Chandler-like manner, two elements were demanded by the studio after disastrous preview test screenings:

a noirish, somber, flat-voiced narration (written by Roland Kibbe) to make the plot more accessible
a tacked-on, positive, upbeat ending (using out-takes from Stanley Kubrick's The Shining (1980)), added to the 1982 release (of between 113-117 minutes)
Since that time, the 1992 revised 'Director's Cut' (of 117 minutes) was released to mark the film's 10th anniversary with a new digital soundtrack - it dropped Harrison Ford's mostly redundant voice-over and restored the film's original darker and contemplative vision. Many Blade Runner afficionados prefer the subtlety of the film's images in the restored version rather than the slow and monotonous tone of the earlier film with voice-over. The 'director's cut' also substituted a less upbeat and shorter, more ambiguous, non-Hollywood ending, and it inserted a new scene of a 'unicorn reverie' at the end. It also emphasized and enriched the romantic angle between Ford and a beautiful replicant played by Sean Young, and more clearly revealed that Harrison Ford's character was an android himself.

taken from

http://www.filmsite.org/blad.html

Ushgarak
The Matrix!!?

Hardly. Follow the logic that any film with a big city is copying Blade Runner's look, then you may as well say it's ALL from Metropolis.

The city of the Matrix wasn't futuristic.

Anyway, classic though it is, Blade Runner has never really been a populist movie. So many people hate it, it's very hard to give it a 'better than all other sci-fi' motif.

MC Mike
One word: Weeeeeeird

Mr _Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Ushgarak
The Matrix!!?

Hardly. Follow the logic that any film with a big city is copying Blade Runner's look, then you may as well say it's ALL from Metropolis.

The city of the Matrix wasn't futuristic.

Anyway, classic though it is, Blade Runner has never really been a populist movie. So many people hate it, it's very hard to give it a 'better than all other sci-fi' motif.

Well I would say Blade Runner is from Metropolis - Robot Woman of desire smile
sounds like Fritz Lang

Ya Krunk'd Floo
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die."

Fantastic line, fantastic movie.

Mr _Whirlysplat
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die."

Fantastic line, fantastic movie.

Agreed that speech from Rutger is awesome

The Highlord
I can name a few that are better

first of the best sci-fi there is

2001: A Space Odyssey

also these are better

Alien
The Thing
Star Wars Epiode 4 and 5 are also better

and I know there are more these are just the once I can think of right now

Mr _Whirlysplat
Originally posted by The Highlord
I can name a few that are better

first of the best sci-fi there is

2001: A Space Odyssey

also these are better

Alien
The Thing
Star Wars Epiode 4 and 5 are also better

and I know there are more these are just the once I can think of right now

Whilst I lie all of those I don't thinkany of them are better smile but your opinion is valid and you like them more so its cool. smile

DeVi| D0do
I just saw Blade Runner for the first time yesterday... It's nothing special, really. I don't see what the big fuss is about it. Better than 99.99% of Sci Fi movies? Hardly. It's only as good as most other Phillip K. Dick movies in my opinion.

Mandorallen
I like Blade Runner. So there.

BUT! not the bestest of the best. I can say that. But I still really love the movie.

papabeard
BLADERUNNER is very much informed by Fritz Langs mighty Metropolis, so is pretty much every other film ever made hahaha.

For Example The Clock scene in Back to the Future and many, many others.

Mandorallen
Right-O, The Clock scene in BTTF was shot in the Universal Studios "Simulated Town" Backlot in California. It's a pretty cool place. I went there last summer and I never regret it. But as for blade runner, the most notable scene takes place at the Bradbury Building and the Warner Brothers backlot that was the LA 2019 streets, which look very different from Ridley's dark version. But just as an FYI, here are some movies filmed in that location.

"War of the Worlds". "Meet the Fockers", "The Cat in the Hat", "The Scorpion King," "Jurassic Park," "The Hulk", "Nutty Professor II", "Bruce almighty", "The Truman show", "Charlie's Angels," "Austin Powers 2: The Spy Who Shagged Me," "Liar, Liar," "The Wedding Singer," "End of Days," "Apollo 13," and "Frankenstein". Plus TV shows like "Desperate Housewives," "Crossing Jordan", "Complete Savages", "Providence" and "Sliders."

Adamwankenobi
BR is equal to 2001, ANH, and ESB.

Koala MeatPie
Didn't The Amker (Forgot His NAme, but Same Person Who Made ALIEN)

Say it was *unwantingly* A Parralel to the "Alien" Universe, In which that is what is happeneing on Earth with the Robots / Cybernetics?

I mean, even look at the cars, there driving screen, its the same Program used to make the "path" of the ship in Alien as in assends to the planet.

(sorry, big Alien saga Fan, Easpecially the original, too tired to remeber names)

And Whats the deal with the Androide holding the Dove in the End?

Mando
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
Didn't The Amker (Forgot His NAme, but Same Person Who Made ALIEN)

Say it was *unwantingly* A Parralel to the "Alien" Universe, In which that is what is happeneing on Earth with the Robots / Cybernetics?

I mean, even look at the cars, there driving screen, its the same Program used to make the "path" of the ship in Alien as in assends to the planet.

(sorry, big Alien saga Fan, Easpecially the original, too tired to remeber names)

And Whats the deal with the Androide holding the Dove in the End?

True, Ridley scott did use a lot of the same filming techniques as he did "Alien".

And the dove in the hand, I think represents How even an android can feel.

Whisper

And Whats the deal with the Androide holding the Dove in the End? D'uh ! It's symbolic!

Koala MeatPie
Originally posted by Whisper
D'uh ! It's symbolic!

no Shit Sherlock, The Dove is a simble of peace, justice, life,

All of wich was not going to happen within the next 5 minutes of the film.

A smarter response would be you actually saying what it emasn instead of just sayign "Its a symbolic" like a compleat dumbass.

Mando
like a compleat dumbass.

laughing out loud laughing out loud

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
I just saw Blade Runner for the first time yesterday... It's nothing special, really. I don't see what the big fuss is about it. Better than 99.99% of Sci Fi movies? Hardly. It's only as good as most other Phillip K. Dick movies in my opinion.

Same here.

I just watched it tonight for the first time and have basically the same sentiments.

wink

RichardD
I think Blade Runner is heads and shoulders above a lot of today's science fiction.

The Matrix has a great premise, and is a good film, but it lacks the insight into the nature of being human which makes Blade Runner so good.

Plus, I'm getting tired of all these films which feature some superhuman saviour who will save mankind. Can't we do it ourselves just for once?

Koenig
Is it about time for a sequel, I know old H.F. is getting on now in years so maybe move it on some 20 years? Blade runner is still a great film even by today's standards.

Wolfie
I saw it for the first time the other day. I didn't care for it much. erm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.