I gotta few Questions about Vader's Injuries..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
1. How did he get that very large scar which runs from the top of his head down to the base of his neck, and the similar scar which stretches from his left cheek around past his left ear.

2.Anakin Skywalker gains a facial scar, a vertical line over his right eye, in a duel with Count Dooku's protege, Asajj Ventress. it wasn't there in ROTJ. why? don't tell me it healed. It was a lightsaber scar not even bacta could fix.

3. Did he have internal injuries or not. At the end of ROTJ, while getting fried by Palpls. I clearly saw bionic cybernetics on and around his neck bone. Looks like he had severe spinal damage, but when and how?

4. Why can't Vader breath without the mask? Isn't his breathing machine regulated. What, fresh air would ruin the machines. What does Vader exposing his face to air have anything to do with bionic mechanisms working or not? Surely if i get out my car for fresh air, my car should still be running right?

stuff i just always wanted to know, after ep. 3 and all..

Gryn Jabar
1) Probably operation scars.
2) Video oversight. Perhaps the skin was fried to such an extent as to require grafts?
3) Probably not spinal injuries, as he WAS able to move, but severe injuries nonetheless.
4) Smoke inhalation. His lungs were ****ed.

Tangible God
1.) ROTJ, and hence Anakin's scars in that movie, were done more than 20 years before ROTS, continuity error there. (yet a minor one really)

2.) Within the 23 year span between events, Vader could have mended some scars and received new ones.

3.) He needed that huge iron lung strapped to his chest just to be able to breath properly.

4.) He really didn't need ALL the mask, but Palpatine would request it for effect.

Tru_Slice
It was said in SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE that Vader could breathe without his mask, with the aid of the darkside, but only for a short period of time.

Darth Jello
the thing that looks like a spinal prosthetic is probably his voice box.

SithHappens
It wasn't the lack of mask that killed him, remember nothing could pervent that. It was, I believe, the fact that his artificial breathing apperatice was damaged from the lighting. You can notice major differences in the sound after he is fried.

Gryn Jabar
Yep. This is also why Vader doesn't use force lightnening, as it tampers with his suit.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by SithHappens
It wasn't the lack of mask that killed him, remember nothing could pervent that.

Actually Vader confirms that being mask-less can kill him by saying just that.

When Vader says "Luke, help me take, this mask off."
Then Luke says: "But you'll die"
Then Vader answers: "Nothing can stop that now."

Meaning nothing can stop death from happening now at this point, even if you take off my mask which isn't suppose to be taken off cause i'll die. But since im gonna die now anyway, I can take it off so I can just for once, look on you with my own eyes..

Get it?

Tangible God
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Actually Vader confirms that being mask-less can kill him by saying just that.

When Vader says "Luke, help me take, this mask off."
Then Luke says: "But you'll die"
Then Vader answers: "Nothing can stop that now."

Meaning nothing can stop death from happening now at this point, even if you take off my mask which isn't suppose to be taken off cause i'll die. But since im gonna die now anyway, I can take it off so I can just for once, look on you with my own eyes..

Get it? As crazy as this sounds, I actually agree with you.

Captain REX
That's because he's actually right.

It doesn't look like a voice box, Jello, it seems like it has replaced his bone.

Darth Jello
definitely a voicebox, or maybe a neural sensor to supply info on brain activity to his sensor panel

Captain REX
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/laserdisk/sw6/dvbones07.jpg

The Star Wars Technical Commentaries, whilst written before Episode III's premier, is pretty accurate, and supposes that it is a device that protects and stimulates Vader's neck vertebrae, however he damaged it.

Gryn Jabar
I much preferred simply guessing at what caused Vader's horrific wounds, though the Final Duel was pretty kickass.

Tangible God
If you look at it, it seems like Vader's chin stretches right into the tip of his mask.

ESB- 1138
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
1. How did he get that very large scar which runs from the top of his head down to the base of his neck, and the similar scar which stretches from his left cheek around past his left ear.

2.Anakin Skywalker gains a facial scar, a vertical line over his right eye, in a duel with Count Dooku's protege, Asajj Ventress. it wasn't there in ROTJ. why? don't tell me it healed. It was a lightsaber scar not even bacta could fix.

3. Did he have internal injuries or not. At the end of ROTJ, while getting fried by Palpls. I clearly saw bionic cybernetics on and around his neck bone. Looks like he had severe spinal damage, but when and how?

4. Why can't Vader breath without the mask? Isn't his breathing machine regulated. What, fresh air would ruin the machines. What does Vader exposing his face to air have anything to do with bionic mechanisms working or not? Surely if i get out my car for fresh air, my car should still be running right?

stuff i just always wanted to know, after ep. 3 and all..
1.) Maybe he got cut on Mustafar while trying to climb himself to safety
2.) Lucas didn't think of it in ROTJ but thought it would look cool in ROTS
3.) No it was just there to help him move I guess
4.) It is like Grievous with his coughing. Vader is dieing and needs that mask to stay alive.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.