Deleted files not registering as free space

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
Alright, so I deleted a folder, with maybe 11,000 files totaling 17 GB. Windows prompts, This folder is too large to be in the recycling bin. Would you like to delete it perminantly? I hit yes, and it deletes everything. I go to my C drive, and the same amount (4.61 GB) is free. How can I get it to have some sense knocked into it to see that these 17 gigs are gone?

Raz
First of all, are you sure its gone?

If you are, then try emptying the Recycle Bin anyway.

And finally if that doesn't work, do a chkdsk on the drive.

JKozzy
Positive that it's gone. The "Deleting" dialogue came up and it showed each file being deleted.

I ran a disk check last night, woke up to find that I'm still missing the space. Is that the same as the chkdsk you posted?

I know some people have Norton Protected Files, but I have nothing of the sort that would keep them from being deleted. The files are nowhere to be seen. erm

JKozzy
Alright, after further diagnostics, I determined that my System Volume Information folder was to blame; the files were deleted visually, but instead were moved there. Gained access through the command prompt and deleted what needed to get gotten rid of, and re-restricted the access. 17 valuable gigabytes are back for me to use. Thought you'd want to know the result, Raz. Thanks for helping!

Raz
You may want to change your "System Restore" settings in the Control Panel (under system) so it doesn't take up much room.

I just disable it myself.

Fire
hey I was gnna advise that.

Dordaness
CLOSED

Clovie
Originally posted by Dordaness
CLOSED idiot

collar
Hi,

I suppose you try Active@ Undelete or Uneraser to see if the files occupying space can be restored. The tools are truly mighty as they never failed me before. That should help, try it out.

active-undelete.com

uneraser.com

Mišt
Nvm, saw it was an old thread...

Koala MeatPie
Originally posted by JKozzy
Alright, so I deleted a folder, with maybe 11,000 files totaling 17 GB. Windows prompts, This folder is too large to be in the recycling bin. Would you like to delete it perminantly? I hit yes, and it deletes everything. I go to my C drive, and the same amount (4.61 GB) is free. How can I get it to have some sense knocked into it to see that these 17 gigs are gone?

That has Happened to me a few times.

All I did was re-start my computer, and everything is knocked back into place.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.