Black swimmers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok

JacopeX
I guess there arent any african american people who wanna be swimmers.

MC Mike
I'm a swimmer, our school team has numerous Latino and Asian athletes. And one African-American. I myself am Caucasian, but honestly the ratio is only a slight majority - the team is pretty diverse.

However, I have noticed that elsewhere the margin becomes evidently exponential in difference, with many many more light-skinned swimmers than dark-skinned ones. Whereas this applies to numbers, it holds no truth when applied to skill. So I would not know the reason for the apparent lack of darker-skinned swimmers.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
It's to do with muscle density.

forumcrew

Smasandian
Well I think a simplier answer would be that Africa and Middle Eastern countries dont have alot of water, so its kinda of hard to swim professional at a high level against people from North America or water rich areas.
The same thing goes for skiers and the Winter Olmpiques.

For minorties in Canada, US and other places, I have no idea. Maybe, it's not interesting for minorites because some sports arent interesting. Look at Canada, it's most popular sport is hockey. Most minorities dont play it, but play soccer, basketball and baseball more.

But it's definitly not muscle density.

Myth
I don't know so I'm going to make up ridiculous hypotheses.

1. Black people in other countries are too poor to practice in a pool.

2. Black people in America are too busy playing basketball and other big sports so they don't care about swimming (plus they too don't have access to swimming pools).

3. Their giant penises create too much drag in the water. wink

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Point #3 is incorrect because I'm a great swimmer.

Muscle density.

Bicnarok

Myth
Well, I'm obviously joking to an extent on my points, but the access to a pool does have some points. There is quite a bit of blacks in the US and I don't know their poverty levels in other countries but here there is definitely less opportunities for African Americans to get to a pool as their is whites. Large predominantly black schools are less likely to have as much funding and in hand are less likely to have a pool. Also, just living by water isn't enough, it does have to be a pool for them to practice in because of things such as turning around properly. But again, I was much more than half-heartedly joking.

soleran30
I swam for about 5 years competitevly in the DC metro area and the entire time I believe we actually hosted a meet and we had one team from DC come that was black. My team had several black team members.

Muscle density isn't it cuz I was a big guy at 6 foot 2 and 225 and swimming twice a day with a weights 3 times a week and 3 runs in the week.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.