What are your favorite 1970's bands.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

debbiejo
Well do any of ever listen to the 70's bands......there are some really cool ones....what are your favorits....

For me there is Rush, Yes, Ted Nugent, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Who, Steppenwolf, Frampton., AC/DC, Bad company, BTO, Jimmy Hendrix, Led Zeppelin.......Oh, soooooooooo many......

What are yours?

Capt_Fantastic
<------and the Brown Dirt Cowboy

Captain Jack/Billy the Kid

Ziggy Stardust & the Spiders from Mars

debbiejo
And Tom Petty and ZZ Top....Oh great songs the 70's

Deano
top petty rules

have you heard 'in the dark of the sun'?

debbiejo
Yeah....lots of his stuff, but Like "Break Down"..he had some good tunes.

Deano
learning to fly is my fav

debbiejo
Todd Rondgren is good too, Black Feet, and Raiders, Van Halen, Nazareth, Lynard Skynard, Cat Stevens...Wish they played them more often...good songs.....Many are made into remakes now....See they were good!

serenade

Deano
the good old days.. when i wasnt alive

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Deano
the good old days.. when i wasnt alive

I've always found that interesting. A majority of the music I listen to was recorded before I was alive. I was born at the end of '79...but the vast majority of my musical interests were 60s and 70s artists. They're also mostly British.

Raven Guardia
Originally posted by debbiejo
Well do any of ever listen to the 70's bands......there are some really cool ones....what are your favorits....

For me there is Rush, Yes, Ted Nugent, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Who, Steppenwolf, Frampton., AC/DC, Bad company, BTO, Jimmy Hendrix, Led Zeppelin.......Oh, soooooooooo many......

What are yours?

Mine are : AC/DC, Queen,Who,Def Leppard,Kiss,Beatles (even though they were out before the 70's I still like the work they did in the 70's). I like some of Led Zepplins songs. hmm thats all I can think of right now.

but did you ever see the movie 'School of Rock'? That movie is awesome, it mentions alot of the bands you have listed.

Victor Von Doom
Apparently there is another galaxy outside this one, with a forum in it devoted solely to music.

I don't believe it myself.

Mandorallen
Originally posted by debbiejo
Jimmy Hendrix

Actually, Jimi Died in 1970. So technically, he's more 60's.

Damn good guitar player though.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Mandorallen
Damn good guitar player though.

That's like saying Lance Armstrong has a passable immune system.

-AC

PVS
Originally posted by Raven Guardia
Mine are : AC/DC, Queen,Who,Def Leppard,Kiss,Beatles (even though they were out before the 70's I still like the work they did in the 70's). I like some of Led Zepplins songs. hmm thats all I can think of right now.

but did you ever see the movie 'School of Rock'? That movie is awesome, it mentions alot of the bands you have listed.

AC/DC and Def Leppard are from the 80's

Mandorallen
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
That's like saying Lance Armstrong has a passable immune system.

-AC

Perhaps. I'm bold enough to say he is the greatest live guitar player ever.

Julie
I don't know of any 1970's bands...I hardly listen to music

Raven Guardia
Originally posted by PVS
AC/DC and Def Leppard are from the 80's

Wrong.

AC/DC in June 1974 "Can I sit next to you" was issued in Nov 1974 they had there first recorded album "High Voltage"

Def Leppard in 1978 they did local gigs, in 1979 they got a Recording deal.

It took place fairly close to the 80's and they did most their greatest work in the 80's but they started in the 70's

Alpha Centauri
It's not about when bands formed, per se. It's about the eras in which they were peaking or most recognisable.

This is, as PVS said, the 80's.

-AC

Raven Guardia
It's not about when bands formed, per se. It's about the eras in which they were peaking or most recognisable.

This is, as PVS said, the 80's.

-AC

http://www.acdcrocks.com/ go there click enter, the click time line at top and view it.

as for def leppard they have a website too, just view the bios it gives all the info.

like I said earlier they made it big in the 80's but the starting point was the 70's.

Alpha Centauri
http://www.acdcrocks.com/ go there click enter, the click time line at top and view it.

as for def leppard they have a website too, just view the bios it gives all the info.

like I said earlier they made it big in the 80's but the starting point was the 70's.

I said in my previous post:

"It's not about when bands formed, per se. It's about the eras in which they were peaking or most recognisable.

This is, as PVS said, the 80's."

To which you replied:

"like I said earlier they made it big in the 80's but the starting point was the 70's."

Exactly. Starting points isn't the issue, when they were peaking, is the issue. This was, as all three of us know, the 80's.

-AC

Lana
I'm just wondering why this isn't in the music forum.

Raven Guardia
I said in my previous post:

"It's not about when bands formed, per se. It's about the eras in which they were peaking or most recognisable.

This is, as PVS said, the 80's."

To which you replied:

"like I said earlier they made it big in the 80's but the starting point was the 70's."

Exactly. Starting points isn't the issue, when they were peaking, is the issue. This was, as all three of us know, the 80's.

-AC

you know, your obnoxcious. Its like you always have to be right. AC/DC was still in the 70's. They got there album came out in1974. Thats early 70's. They were a band of the 1970's. Def Leppard was too, they did local performances in the 70's. They may not have been famous, but they were still a band and performed for local radio stations and other events.

Alpha Centauri
you know, your obnoxcious. Its like you always have to be right. AC/DC was still in the 70's. They got there album came out in1974. Thats early 70's. They were a band of the 1970's. Def Leppard was too, they did local performances in the 70's. They may not have been famous, but they were still a band and performed for local radio stations and other events.

Oh my, last time. The lack of sheer understanding is depressing.

Step one: They started in the 70's yes. I know this, you know this. What's the problem? This is already established.

Step two: They were big, most recognisable and at their peaks in the 80's as we have also established.

Step three: I'm not discussing when they started, I'm discussing when they were at their biggest.

Final step: This was the 80's, as YOU have already agreed.

-AC

Raven Guardia
Oh my, last time. The lack of sheer understanding is depressing.

Step one: They started in the 70's yes. I know this, you know this. What's the problem? This is already established.

Step two: They were big, most recognisable and at their peaks in the 80's as we have also established.

Step three: I'm not discussing when they started, I'm discussing when they were at their biggest.

Final step: This was the 80's, as YOU have already agreed.

-AC

I know it was the 80's at their biggest peak ><. But the name of thread says "Favorite bands of the 70's" they were obviously around in the 70's they were obviously a band. I like them so there for they were one of my favs. I dont give a hoot that they were bigger in the 80's. they were still in the 70's hence why I listed them.

Alpha Centauri
I know it was the 80's at their biggest peak ><. But the name of thread says "Favorite bands of the 70's" they were obviously around in the 70's they were obviously a band. I like them so there for they were one of my favs. I dont give a hoot that they were bigger in the 80's. they were still in the 70's hence why I listed them.

If you knew that their peak was the 80's and that my entire point, was that they peaked in the 80's...what was the deal? Why continually tell me "They formed in the 70's"?

Bands generally aren't considered within a timeframe if they didn't do anything significant within their field at the time. Def Leppard and AC/DC are considered 80's because they made their mark then.

-AC

Raven Guardia
If you knew that their peak was the 80's and that my entire point, was that they peaked in the 80's...what was the deal? Why continually tell me "They formed in the 70's"?

Bands generally aren't considered within a timeframe if they didn't do anything significant within their field at the time. Def Leppard and AC/DC are considered 80's because they made their mark then.

-AC

god, because they did form in the 70s. I know and you know I said the first time that they became big in the 80's. But that doesnt change the fact they were still a band in the 70's.

Alpha Centauri
god, because they did form in the 70s. I know and you know I said the first time that they became big in the 80's. But that doesnt change the fact they were still a band in the 70's.

I know! Why do you keep telling me this? I'm not denying it.

The reason they are considered an 80's "band" isn't because people believe they formed then, it's because that's when they made their mark.

-AC

Raven Guardia
I know! Why do you keep telling me this? I'm not denying it.

The reason they are considered an 80's "band" isn't because people believe they formed then, it's because that's when they made their mark.

-AC

I know mad. But PVS said they were in the 80's, yes they existed in the 80's no freaking duh! but they also existed in the 70's. Thats why I put it ><

END OF STORY!

a1hsauce
Fleetwood Mac and Blondie yes ...wait was Blondie in the 80s? confused

Alpha Centauri
I know mad. But PVS said they were in the 80's, yes they existed in the 80's no freaking duh! but they also existed in the 70's. Thats why I put it ><

END OF STORY!

He PROBABLY referred to them as an 80's band because they made their mark then.

You still told him he was wrong.

I'm not having a go at you, just trying to encourage thinking among KMC.

-AC

Raven Guardia
He PROBABLY referred to them as an 80's band because they made their mark then.

You still told him he was wrong.

I'm not having a go at you, just trying to encourage thinking among KMC.

-AC

well you might want to stop and do some thinking yourself.

what gets me is, how Debbiejo also listed AC/DC. you fail to try and correct her. Soon as PVS points out what I say, you jump in take his side erm.

Alpha Centauri
well you might want to stop and do some thinking yourself.

what gets me is, how Debbiejo also listed AC/DC. you fail to try and correct her. Soon as PVS points out what I say, you jump in take his side erm.

Think about what? Nothing to think about from my end. I don't need to think about music, it rolls off the brain for me.

I'm not taking his "side". Merely saying that you were wrong to tell him he was wrong. That's all. You thought he meant that they were FORMED in the 80's. If he did, then you were right to say they weren't, if he meant that they are an 80's band in the sense that they PEAKED then, he was correct.

I'm not taking any sides, just saying you should ask them what they mean before telling them they are wrong. Seriously, I'm not trying to pick on you. It just seems like you're trying to make things awkward. I made a two line post and you even tried telling ME I was wrong.

-AC

Curl_Up&Dye
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
<------and the Brown Dirt Cowboy

Captain Jack/Billy the Kid

Ziggy Stardust & the Spiders from Mars

ziggy stardust, aka david bowie.... excellent

cool_dudes_rule
erm... well AC/DC is one but what about the undertones are they 70's.

Bierbommetje
It can be argued wheter AC/DC had thier peak in the 70's or 80's. They had several high quality albums out in the 70's. And some people prefer Bon Scott over Brian Johnson.

PVS
Def Leppard in 1978 they did local gigs, in 1979 they got a Recording deal.

you have GOT to be kidding me laughing out loud
def leppards first LP came out in 1980- 'on through the night'

also, by you're 'when they formed' mentallity, then you are wrong about the beatles (released first LP in the early 60's) and the who (mid 60s as well) Happy Dance

as for ACDC, ill give you that.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I was born at the end of '79

Damn you are old.

Well my favorite would probably be The Who and Led Zeppelin. But there are many other good. Although to be honest I am not always sure of the exact Decades. I prefer Music to Music History.

Raven Guardia
Originally posted by PVS
you have GOT to be kidding me laughing out loud
def leppards first LP came out in 1980- 'on through the night'

also, by you're 'when they formed' mentallity, then you are wrong about the beatles (released first LP in the early 60's) and the who (mid 60s as well) Happy Dance

as for ACDC, ill give you that.

Def Leppard may have made there first album in 1980, but they got the deal in 1978.

I argued that they formed in 1970's because they did like AC/DC formed in the 70's and had serval hits through the 70's and 80's. As for the beatles and the who they may have formed in the 60's but they were still around in the 70's. I am not going on when they formed, but if they exsited during that time era.as for Def Leppard since they did most during the 80's I will give you that one.

eggmayo
Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd...

Alpha Centauri
Def Leppard may have made there first album in 1980, but they got the deal in 1978.

I argued that they formed in 1970's because they did like AC/DC formed in the 70's and had serval hits through the 70's and 80's. As for the beatles and the who they may have formed in the 60's but they were still around in the 70's. I am not going on when they formed, but if they exsited during that time era.as for Def Leppard since they did most during the 80's I will give you that one.

Why are you continually arguing about when they formed? You say you're not, but you are.

Def Leppard didn't do anything in the 70's, at all. They got a record deal. They didn't have any impact or get noticed. That's why they're called an 80's band. Understand this. Stop trying to prove a point everyone knows.

When they got a deal doesn't matter.

-AC

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Bardock42
Damn you are old.

Age is all in the mind. But, yes...I am old. At 26, I feel there is nothing left to do but die...

As for the debate in which you guys feel the need to run the thread into the ground, certain logics are flawed.

All three of the artists I mentioned began their careers in the 60's. Elton John's first album came out in 69 for example.

But, all three examples are touted as artists of the 70's.

Elton John in fact, stylisticaly, is more an artist of the 60's....but between 69 and 79 he accounted for 3 or 4 percent of all records sold on the planet.

Imaginary
I like the Sex Pistols, Led Zeppelin and AC/DC. Yes, I did read the whole thread... I just really like their album "T.N.T" which came out in the 70's.

debbiejo
Right now I"m listening to "Black Foot" Highway song.....cool.

Solo
XTC
Joy Division
Jimi Hendrix

PINBALL
Social Distortion 1979

barbarossa
The Ramones
The Misfits
The Sex Pistols
Dead Kennedys
Black Flag
Cock Sparrer
The Adicts
The 4 Skins
AC/DC
Queen.

There are plenty more. The 70's was a great decade for Rock.

JessyGurl
I love The Ramons, The Clash and The Sex Pistols.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.