Freedom of religion = only freedom of Christianity

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shakyamunison

Legend Of Chibi

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Legend Of Chibi
It meens freedom, do christians take prisoners and force others to be christian? No, you can believe christianity if you want. And i speak for all christians on this one.

Then why must the rest of us (who are not Christian) have to put up with Christian holidays?

Legend Of Chibi
You don't HAVE to, if you want you can take a holiday somewhere else while there are celebrations. Anyways, without our holidays it'd be pretty dull for you poor non-christians.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Legend Of Chibi
You don't HAVE to, if you want you can take a holiday somewhere else while there are celebrations. Anyways, without our holidays it'd be pretty dull for you poor non-christians.

I like the holidays; but this is a relevant topic based on current events in the news.

Capt_Fantastic
This is totally off topic, but I got this in my email yesterday:

[email protected], claim Your Free Audio Bible Now.

At MusicofFaith.com, we believe it is better to give than to receive. That's why you have been selected to receive a Free Audio Bible and if you act now, you will get a SPECIAL BONUS of 10 Inspirational Songs. ABSOLUTELY FREE!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
This is totally off topic, but I got this in my email yesterday:

[email protected], claim Your Free Audio Bible Now.

At MusicofFaith.com, we believe it is better to give than to receive. That's why you have been selected to receive a Free Audio Bible and if you act now, you will get a SPECIAL BONUS of 10 Inspirational Songs. ABSOLUTELY FREE!

I want an audio Lotus Sutra and I would even pay for it.

If you are going to go off topic intentionally, at least you can come back and add something constructive. stick out tongue

Bardiel13
TV Evangelism... sure, you don't have to watch, but if there's something that disagrees with Christian views (*coughhomosexualscough*) then I can assure you there will be a Christian group trying to put a stop to it. Not always succeeding, but sometimes... We need a Jewish or Buddhist, maybe even Atheist presodent, someday.

debbiejo
I believe when it's said to be freedom of Religion, it only means religion mainly based on the Bible and probably most large religious groups...For the Christians it would be "Christian belief'....I guess that's were the problems start...cause in the courts it seems other beliefs are screaming to be heard also....hmmmm

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I want an audio Lotus Sutra and I would even pay for it.

If you are going to go off topic intentionally, at least you can come back and add something constructive. stick out tongue

Well, how about this:

I never get selected to recieve a free audio copy of the Qur'an or the Tipitaka...

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Bardiel13
We need a Jewish or Buddhist, maybe even Atheist president, someday.

You can wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first.

Shakyamunison
You can wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first.

You are a sick man. laughing

Scoobless
Well, how about this:

I never get selected to recieve a free audio copy of the Qur'an or the Tipitaka...

"Tipitaka" ..... other religions have much funnier words than Christianity

big grin

doesn't American money have "In God We Trust" written on it?

freedom of religion my ass

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Scoobless
"Tipitaka" ..... other religions have much funnier words than Christianity

big grin

doesn't American money have "In God We Trust" written on it?

freedom of religion my ass

I think what we need is freedom from religion.

Scoobless
I think what we need is freedom from religion.

i really don't think everyone has the same idea of what "freedom" is anyway

Storm
Freedom from religion does not mean being free from seeing religion in society.

debbiejo
Didn't it all start with the worry that the Baptist religion was so strong, and it was rumored that the government was going to impose it as a "State Religion?...And that's when it was proposed as a separation of religion and state...

As the concept is commonly understood today, the government has never passed a law implementing the "separation of church and state." The First Amendment simply states:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Over the years, however, the Supreme Court and lower federal courts have reinterpreted this amendment in many ways. This reinterpretation of the Constitution has in effect become the "law" supposedly dictating the "separation of church and state."

Scoobless
why do people get asked to swear on the bible in court if the government isn't backing any single religion??

debbiejo
why do people get asked to swear on the bible in court if the government isn't backing any single religion??
How I understand it, it's only if you believe in the Christian god...If you are Muslim some other religion or maybe Atheist, they just ask you to swear on your word...That's what I've heard from people I know in the court system..

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
How I understand it, it's only if you believe in the Christian god...If you are Muslim some other religion or maybe Atheist, they just ask you to swear on your word...That's what I've heard from people I know in the court system..

But they will not let you swear on any other book. Why can't I swear on the Lotus Sutra, or a Muslim on the Koran?

lil bitchiness

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Are you persecuted or murdered for practicing your religion?

If the answer is no, then yes, you have a freedom of religion.

Is your religion illegal?

If the answer is no, then yes you have freeodm of religion.

Can you attend the temple without the fear of being bombed or beheaded?

If the answer is yes, then yes, you have freedom of religion.

For ''no freedom of religion'' refear to Saudi Arabia - Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism are ALL illegal and punishable by death.

I understand your point, but here in the US, it is often said that freedom of religion means complete equality. Should we settle for less?

lil bitchiness
Complete equality in what way?

You are not made to pay extra tax for not being Christian. Your religion is not subject to your job oppertunity. Your religion is also not a subject in attending places, buying things, etc.

Im not really sure what you mean. Equal how?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Complete equality in what way?

You are not made to pay extra tax for not being Christian. Your religion is not subject to your job oppertunity. Your religion is also not a subject in attending places, buying things, etc.

Im not really sure what you mean. Equal how?

ME personally, I really don't care. There is a big debate here in the US over this topic. Some people are trying to get rid of religious holidays and things like "In God We Trust" on our coins. As long as I can practice my faith, I am fine. But what would happen if this debate goes toward the religious right?

lil bitchiness
I see, well i see it this way -

As far as America goes, their fathers were Christian or whatever - they built in on religion, besides why does it matter what it says on the money. It can say ''in Krishna we trust'' or ''in Allah we trust'' or even in 'Buddha we trust'' it would make 0 differance to me - it wont make me have more of it.
For all i care it could say ''in Bill GAtes we trust''.

But banning Christian religious holidays is restricting them from religious freedom in order to preach religious freedom. Its counterproductive and very unhealthy in my opinion.

Scoobless
But they will not let you swear on any other book. Why can't I swear on the Lotus Sutra, or a Muslim on the Koran?

because that's all a bunch of voodoo mumbo jumbo

yes

jk

stick out tongue

Shakyamunison
because that's all a bunch of voodoo mumbo jumbo

yes

jk

stick out tongue

But I have a right to my own voodoo mumbo jumbo. laughing

Atlantis001
But I have a right to my own voodoo mumbo jumbo. laughing

Yeah... and I, to make my sacrifices for the God of the Mountain or something.

debbiejo
^ "In the Hall of the Mountain King?"...ELO?.... OH, that was an instrumental...

serenade

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.