Dark City

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

papabeard
I serached for a thread on this but couldnt find one so.........

What do you guys think about this film?

Wolfie
I was actually just watching this last night. stick out tongue

It's a good movie, very interesting.

virus five
Phenomenal work.

Solo
Keifer is a player. Reminds me a bit of the Matrix.

Great film though, fantastic.

Gregory
I want to find whoever put in the opening text and say, "way to give away the entire story in the first five seconds, jackass." But I liked it otherwise.

KillTheLight
I liked this movie thought it was great ..Keifer's voice bugged me for a bit but then I got over it..

papabeard
If it had a larger budget I think it would have been better, the story was good and the acting also, but some of the effects were limited and looked [email protected]

Eis
I love the actors in this film, but the movie itself seemed so bad I just saw the first 10 minutes and I turned to movie off... haven't seen it since, and frankly I'm not planning on seeing it. erm

ragesRemorse
very dark and depressing movie...loved it

ReallyBad
Dark City is by far the best "Alternate Reality" movie. Makes Matrix look like an expensive immitation. Others in this Genre are Thirteenth Floor and eXistenZ - both are also very good.

Not bagging Matrix btw, it is still in my top ten, but Dark City is higher than it.

MildPossession
Agree with Existenz, love that Cronenberg film! And Dark City is one to watch, rather enjoyed it. Still yet to see Thirteenth Floor though, it's on my to see list.

papabeard
Off Topic ----

MildP is your avatar from Eyes Without A Face?

MildPossession
It is indeed smile

RZA
I liked this movie, very dark and gritty. Kinda freaked u out a bit in some places especially Keifer's character pretty weird. wacko

Yet another Dark and somewhat twisted story from director Alex Proyas (The Crow) that I enjoyed.

Memorable quote "He has the power to tune"

Anyone know what the hell happened to Rufus Sewell. He was the main actor in this movie. I thought he did a great job as Murdoch in this movie but haven't seen him in anyone thing notable since? confused

MildPossession
He has been doing quite a bit of television work here in the UK, on the mainstream channels. Also was in the Zorro sequel.

Patient_Leech
Has anyone seen the Directors Cut for this? I've owned the regular dvd for years, but am curious if the DC really adds all that much..

Esau Cairn
Personally it's a movie that lingers more in my memory then Matrix did.

On a separate note, friends of mine who worked in leather actually designed & made that leather medicine bag that was Keifer's prop.
They made about 7 versions before Proyas chose one he liked the most. They made a little fortune making all those props. They also did costumes for the Matrix too.

Starfire7
Originally posted by Eis
I love the actors in this film, but the movie itself seemed so bad I just saw the first 10 minutes and I turned to movie off... haven't seen it since, and frankly I'm not planning on seeing it. erm

I seem to recall that I felt the same way watching the first 10 minutes (didn't like it) but I continued to watch it. I thought it an excellent film by the end of it.

rudester
Originally posted by Solo
Keifer is a player. Reminds me a bit of the Matrix.

Great film though, fantastic.

Dark City and the matrix where filmed in the same lot, side by side each other, rumour has it that the directors shared notes.

Patient_Leech
I'll reiterate..

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Has anyone seen the Directors Cut for this? I've owned the regular dvd for years, but am curious if the DC really adds all that much..

anybody?

Jedi Sheriff

Yes, I have this. There is about 20 mins extra, but, having not seen the cinematic release since it was released about 14 years ago, I'm not in much of a position to tell you if how good the extra content is. If you like the film however, surely an extra 20 mins can only be a good thing.

Patient_Leech
Thanks, Sheriff. I've been waiting a long time for some kind of response on that.. haha. 20 min is pretty significant. I might get around to watching the DC at some point. It's been several years since I've watched my DVD, too.

Jedi Sheriff
^ thumb up

Newjak
I think the version I have is the Director's cut I'm not sure but it definitely is a good movie imo.

Jedi Sheriff
The DC is 1 hour 51 mins long, the theatrical release was about 1 hour 37 mins I think.

Newjak
I checked and I have the Director's Cut, and it is a good movie. Probably one of the most underrated movies I have ever seen.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Newjak
I checked and I have the Director's Cut, and it is a good movie. Probably one of the most underrated movies I have ever seen.

Yeah, Alex Proyas used to be really good. The Crow is pretty good and i even like I, Robot, but Knowing sucked ass.

Newjak
Yeah, Alex Proyas used to be really good. The Crow is pretty good and i even like I, Robot, but Knowing sucked ass. I agree with the Crow and I, Robot. Don't know if I ever saw Knowing before?

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Newjak
I agree with the Crow and I, Robot. Don't know if I ever saw Knowing before?
Click: Knowing

Good lord, it was bad.

Newjak
Yeah I never saw it stick out tongue

omgchos

Good lord, it was bad.
Amen.

Esau Cairn

Good lord, it was bad.

What was with the rabbits in the end?

Kazenji
Liked that movie except for the ending.

Major_Lexington
Dark City was a great Movie, years since I've watched it. TPB.....

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Kazenji
Liked that movie except for the ending.

Dark City or Knowing?

Kazenji
Knowing.

xtinataguba
dark city 1998 movie?

coloradobase
Dark City is a very good movie in the list of horror movies and also most important is, this is horror as well as thriller in it.

dentrafting
The dark city movie is completely based on thrill and also horror. Its most of scenes are very nice captured.

Silent_Bomber
Awesome movie, one of my favourite Sci-Fi's of that time in my opinion, I liked it a lot better than the Matrix, have to agree with the poster earlier that the Matrix felt like a high budget, mainstream take on Dark City in a lot of ways.

dynamix
Love Dark City!! You can tell it was heavily influenced by German Expressionism. Set design were beautiful and the story was great as well.

Toby831
A man struggles with memories of his past, including a wife he cannot remember, in a nightmarish world with no sun and run by beings with telekinetic powers who seek the souls of humans.

ckakarate1
nice one

Aquitaine
I saw the Director's Cut and now I think its a Brilliant film. Previously it was pretty good, but always wondered about the intro in particular that destroyed any mystery or anticipation.
Removing the intro and narration gave it more mystery and I wish I'd seen it that way first - I love people's expressions when they realise what the Dark City is in the DC. Now way? Yes way. Floating disc city and aliens!

Quincy
I want to catch this flick

Kickballjedi
I know this thread is old, but glad to see one for this excellent movie.

I liked it because it is the most unpredictable movie I've ever seen. From the opening scene of the lead character holding a bloody knife standing over a dead hooker to the final battle made possible by an injection of a lifetime of memories through a syringe, there are surprises at every turn. By the time it was over, I felt like I'd been on a rollercoaster ride.

Surtur
It's a good movie to watch high.

Newjak
Originally posted by Kickballjedi
I know this thread is old, but glad to see one for this excellent movie.

I liked it because it is the most unpredictable movie I've ever seen. From the opening scene of the lead character holding a bloody knife standing over a dead hooker to the final battle made possible by an injection of a lifetime of memories through a syringe, there are surprises at every turn. By the time it was over, I felt like I'd been on a rollercoaster ride. I still own this movie. I continue to love it.

Zack M
One of my favorite movies of all time. Top 100 for sure.

Patient_Leech
I've always liked this movie, but I'm sort of afraid to go back and watch it again now (I haven't seen the Director's Cut yet) because Alex Proyas' more recent work (Knowing, Gods of Egypt) has been garbage. I'm afraid it will hurt my admiration for it. But alas, maybe I still will eventually..

queeq
Director's Cut is well worth watching. I just saw it two weeks ago, pretty good stuff.

John Murdoch
Obviously, I'm a pretty big fan of this one. Prolly a top tenner. However, I have not seen the director's cut. I'll seek it out queeq.

queeq
That you must!

Patient_Leech
I actually saw the Director's Cut for this cheap at Best Buy the other day. I may go back and get it, which would help motivate me to watch it again...

John Murdoch
What's funny is that, even though this is one of my favorite films, I have it on DVD as a 3-movie special: Dark City, The Hidden, and The Island of Dr. Moreau (Brando, Thewlis, and Kilmer version)! Blu-ray Director's Cut needs to happen!

Patient_Leech
Haha.. yeah, man. Splurge for the holidays and upgrade.

I like The Island of Dr. Moreau. Maybe partly nostalgia. I've never heard of The Hidden.

queeq
Moreau? *shudder*

Patient_Leech
Good news!

I watched The Director's Cut and Proyas' more recent work did not really ruin my enjoyment of it. This still holds up as a solidly well-made film. I had forgotten how good the sets and lighting and all were. The music also really stands out very well. It was funny watching a movie that I only remembered bits and pieces of considering the movie is very much about memory itself. heh.. So certain lines that I remembered as a kid kind of game me Deja Vu moments.. it's was odd. But anyway...

To me the floating skyline in space and 'machines' underneath are a little cheesy and keeps the film from truly being a masterpiece. I think a little thicker mythology on an actual planet would have been a bit more interesting and believable. But as a little stand-alone gem it's still a great piece of work.

I had forgotten that Roger Ebert was a huge admirer of the film. If I remember correctly I think he preferred it to The Matrix. It's has a nice little nostalgic old-timey detective feel to it that The Matrix doesn't have, but I still think The Matrix is far superior. But then again it took 3 films and multiple other stories to tell that story, while Dark City is just one film. So they are both good for what they are.

Patient_Leech
Oh, forgot to mention that I really couldn't tell what was added or subtracted for the Director's Cut. It felt like basically the same film to me, but it had easily been 12+ years since I saw it.

omgchos
Anyone know where i can find shell beach?

Surtur
John Malkovich in a movie with super powers is always good.

Don't anyone dare bring up Eragon.

Stringer
Still talking about this movie. He moved on and made 24. Jesus Christ people, talk about that god damn beautiful ****ing show.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.