Domestic Violence: Environment or Hereditary?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

silver_tears
Ripped off from the Homosexuality thread kind of ninja

Do you believe that domestic violence is based on environment or is it genetic?

Alpha Centauri
To quote Andrew Vachss:

"Evil is not a destiny, it is a decision. Most abused children do not grow up to be abusers, and most of those who do, abuse themselves, rather than others. If we excuse the predator because he was abused as a child, we are degrading the heroism of those who were similarly abused, yet refused (remember, it is a choice) to imitate their oppressors."

That was about child abuse, but it's applicable.

-AC

silver_tears
Right, child abuse can be applied here (to this question I mean) too.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah, kewl, kewl.

Just saying, it's not hereditary at all. Being influenced by your father isn't the same as being the same as him by default. If I were to grow up and beat women because my dad does (He doesn't, just an example), it would be because I had grown to think it's ok.

Violent behavior is a state of mind. Not genes.

-AC

ZephroCarnelian
Children learn from many different sources.

They can learn things from the circle of friends they hang out with, from the television and magazines, from the music they listen to and from the actions of their parents and role models.

I don't think that any single one of these is the main factor, but I believe they all play a part.

People do sometimes have chemical imbalances that cause behaviour, but I would believe that is the minority.

I know from personal experience that you can sometimes slip into emulating your parents without meaning to.

My father was a man with a short temper and he would hit more or my brother if we annoyed him. I sometimes find myself losing my temper over little things, then having to check myself quickly.

Some people just don't check themselves when they're about to get angry.

silver_tears
I shall change my title then to include choice here.

So my question to you then is.....
If it's a choice and such, then do you think it shouldn't be used as a mitigating circumstance in our court systems?

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by silver_tears
I shall change my title then to include choice here.

So my question to you then is.....
If it's a choice and such, then do you think it shouldn't be used as a mitigating circumstance in our court systems?

Not being hereditary doesn't equal having a choice.

Environment is as strong of an influence.

If a child grows up to imitate their parents' abuse, this isn't genetic copying, it's behaviour passed on by osmosis.

Of course, neither need be the cause.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.