Final Fantasy VII (7)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

powerfulone1987
Because of the great success and appreciation for this game I thought I'd open up a thread devoted to it.
Who am I kidding, all that stuff is true but I just got myself a brand new copy of this game in the mail!

It's in the plastic and everything and I can't wait to play it. I never thought I'd feel so excited to play this game or any old game but the hype from this site has just overcome me and now I have one, which I never thought I would.

So just stop on by and talk about the game and please don't give anything away since I have not played the game yet.

Is It Comprehensible.....

SaTsuJiN
I think you'll have a blast with the materia system

if anything I think the graphics might be a bit clunky, but if you enjoy it, the nostalgia may keep you coming back for more wink

General Kaliero
Where'd you get it? And how much?

I need to add it to my currently tiny PS/2 library...

ESB- 1138
FF7 is the best one (with 2 ((4 in Japan)) with a close second)

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I think you'll have a blast with the materia system

if anything I think the graphics might be a bit clunky, but if you enjoy it, the nostalgia may keep you coming back for more wink

What's the materia system?

is it comprehensible.....

I got it from Amazon.com. They have a lot of new and used ones there. I think I ordered it last week.

JKozzy
Originally posted by ESB- 1138
FF7 is the best one (with 2 ((4 in Japan)) with a close second) It's being rereleased for GBA this december, if you're interested wink

Ushgarak
As it happens, I just went through this on emulator, having in earlier years played 4, 5 and 6 on SNES emulator. I am not a console person but I consider it a worthwhile exercise to check out as many classic games as I can.

Actually I wasn't a huge fan of materia; I prefered the class system of the earlier ones. The characters felt very indistinct when you could basiclaly make any of them do anything by shifting coloured blobs around.

But in general, yes, the game was very good.

Onto VIII next...

kanis
starwars WIthout giving to much away its brilliant the materia system is easy you (when you get it) can equip to the characters weapons and add ons you'll figure it out. Its more than a game its an adventure let me how you get on in the game.

Alpha Centauri
Final Fantasy 7 is the masterpiece. I don't think they will ever better that game.

Thankfully they're just continuing to make Final Fantasies and not trying to imitate. Because then they'd just end up with shit.

It's like any medium really. Once in a while there's a few good things, a few really good things and then the stars align and something amazing is produced through sheer chemistry. That's that causes the greatest games. Resident Evils, Metal Gears, FF7, Goldeneye (although that's not really the same type), Banjo.

-AC

ZephroCarnelian
Final Fantasy 7 was THE best game released on the PS1.

Without doubt.

It made me and my friends laugh and cry.

It's a classic in the truest sense of the word.

smile

JKozzy
Originally posted by Ushgarak
As it happens, I just went through this on emulator, having in earlier years played 4, 5 and 6 on SNES emulator. I am not a console person but I consider it a opwrthwhile exercise to check out as many classic games as I can.

Actually I wasn't a huge fan of materia; I prefered the class system of the earlier ones. The characters felt very indistinct when you could basiclaly make any of them do anything by shifting coloured blobs around.

Onto VIII next... If you ever get into consoles, FFXII is supposedly using the Job system (refined in some way)... http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3145629&did=1 it's on the 5th page.

Lana
Personally I like FFX's system the best, myself.

And I think this weekend I'm going to go and try to hit every video game store around me to try and find a copy of FFVII, and if I fail, order it off Amazon. I want to play this damned game already.

Ushgarak
I hear a lot of people saying IX was better than VII. What do you guys think?

Lana
Uh, I never finished IX as it just went too slow for me and I have no patience at all. I'll restart it again eventually (not sure if I still have my old save game, since it's from like....3 years ago).

JKozzy
I hear a lot of people saying IX was better than VII. What do you guys think? I always hear quite the contrary, that IX is the runt of the PS bunch. Some think it's underappreciated and that the characters are better than X's, and some think that it was too far a deviation from the previous FF's. Personally, I think it was good in its own right, but like many, VII remains my favorite of the PS1 group.

ESB- 1138
I hear a lot of people saying IX was better than VII. What do you guys think?
It was better then VIII but not VII.

JKozzy
VIII will always have a special place in my heart; my first RPG. I loved the characters in the game.

BackFire
As it happens, I just went through this on emulator, having in earlier years played 4, 5 and 6 on SNES emulator. I am not a console person but I consider it a opwrthwhile exercise to check out as many classic games as I can.

Onto VIII next...

I agree.

The materia system offered a nice range of customization and all, but like you said, the characters didn't feel very seperate or unique because they could all just use whatever spells you wanted. Aside from limit breaks there was no real distinction between the characters.

8 is even worse in this regaurd, I thought the characters were really poorly developed (storyline-wise) and magic was almost useless except as a stat builder. The game itself wasn't all that great, not bad, but probably the worst of all the FF games I've played. Best thing about 8 was the card game.

You'd probably like the ff9 system, Ush. It uses the old school job system, one guys a black mage, one's a warrior, one's a white mage/summoner, one's a dragoon, ect. The story in 9 isn't quite up to par with 7, but the distinction between each character and the job system is great. A lot of people like 9 better then 7, though, so who knows, you may be one of them. It's very "old school" in it's design and flow, has a lot in common with the older games. I liked 9 way more then 8, though.

FFX also uses the job system, in a way. So you may want to play that when you can, as well. Probably the third best in the series behind 6 and 7.

ESB- 1138
I just gave Cloud master materia (red, green, and yellow) after defeating the Weapons.

powerfulone1987
I played FFVII for the first time yesterday and I played some again today. The graphics are kind of turning me off from this game, but as I play I am kind of getting into it more and more. I'm kind of getting pulled into the story. I'm glad I'm finally getting to know these famous characters. And I left all of their names the same as to make it easier on myself to know their real names and who everybody is talking about.
So hopefully I will stay with this game all the way through. I know right now I am stuck at a certain part so that's not good and that may hinder me from continuing to play. It's not an enemy or anything, I just don't know where to go/how to get through this area. Sector 6, the messed up road area.
Who knows, I may decide to take my PS2 back with me to college this time and take this game with me and play it more. Right now, I don't know how far I will go with this game. But going back to play this makes me want to also play all the ones after it up to FFIX since I've played FFX(completed) and X-2(not completed).

Is it comprehensible.....

BackFire
Once you leave midgar the game gets significantly better, I really don't like the beginning of FF7, don't like the constraints of midgar, in all honesty.

Ushgarak
With reference to BF and Jkozzy- I myself had heard more oftern the opinion that VIII was bad and IX was good, so it is interesting to see these things are not universal.

Everyone seems to agree that VII is the one that made a simply popular series into a true legend, but I am surprised to hear IX referref to as not being like the others- I was led to understand that one of its schticks was to return to the roots.

You know, looking back, I never finished V. I think I got frustrated with it. No idea what the plot or context was any more; my saves seem to be in some Egyptian place.

But yes, I suspect I will like that system more, BF. As to whether VIII is class or crap, that seems to be getting a lot of debate- JK says good, BF says bad, I have similar thoughts from all over (one friend telling me to skip VIII entirely and go for IX). Tricky. I actually quite like the initial set-up but all this junctioning bollocks is getting very tiresome very fast, messing around with all this power-sucking in each fight.

Lana
Junctioning is easy, I've told you that stick out tongue

And personally I loved VIII and couldn't get anywhere in IX. Wasn't that I didn't like the system in IX, I did quite a bit (it was sort of a very basic version of what turned into the Sphere Grid in X, which was my favorite). I just didn't have the patience to deal with how long the battles took.

VIII does have a very good story, but once again my favorite for that goes to X. But I do love VIII, as it's the first of the Final Fantasy games that I actually played and beat on my own...I'd played and beaten the originals years ago when I was a kid, but that was always with my dad's help or something.

SaTsuJiN
the sphere system didnt make sense to me at first in ffx.. I didnt even use it til I was fighting that monster in the temple at besaid o_o...

I like materia system, but magicite system I liked the most. Sphere grid (FFX) is very nice too.

Lana
The sphere system is so easy though....well, it is a little odd at first to figure out but after that it's simple.

And Besaid is still the beginning of the game stick out tongue

BackFire
With reference to BF and Jkozzy- I myself had heard more oftern the opinion that VIII was bad and IX was good, so it is interesting to see these things are not universal.

Everyone seems to agree that VII is the one that made a simply popular series into a true legend, but I am surprised to hear IX referref to as not being like the others- I was led to understand that one of its schticks was to return to the roots.

You know, looking back, I never finished V. I think I got frustrated with it. No idea what the plot or context was any more; my saves seem to be in some Egyptian place.

But yes, I suspect I will like that system more, BF. As to whether VIII is class or crap, that seems to be getting a lot of debate- JK says good, BF says bad, I have similar thoughts from all over (one friend telling me to skip VIII entirely and go for IX). Tricky. I actually quite like the initial set-up but all this junctioning bollocks is getting very tiresome very fast, messing around with all this power-sucking in each fight.

I personally love FFIX, I think it's a very fun rpg and it is indeed a return to the roots for the genre. It's gone back to the medievil fantasy realm, and has some great characters (Vivi is my favorite, that guy owns shit up). It isn't perfect though. The story moves along quite slowly, and the villain is probably the least menacing and threatening villian ever to grace a FF game. But I still really enjoy playing it. The best part is that there are no "I win" abilities or spells like in 7 and 8. You can never exceed 9999 damage, so the fights are always difficult, even if you get everything in the game and max out all of your characters.

FFVIII is by no mean crap. I think it's a good game, very good, actually. But compared to the other FF games I just don't think it's up to par. The characters are one dimensional and generic, the story doesn't really get going for a long time, and when it does it doesn't seem to know exactly where it wants to go. They tried to throw in too many twists and turns and, IMO ended up creating a finale that felt rushed and anticlimactic, as a result. There just wasn't the tension that there usually is in FF games when it comes towards the end of the game. The only really bad thing in the game, IMO, is the draw system. It becomes a great annoyance to have to draw spells over and over when you find a good one. Junctioning isn't bad, but it gets kinda redundant. I definately wouldn't suggest that you skip it. It has it's moments and it's a solid RPG, just not up to par with the other outstanding games in the series.

Have you played FFVI, Ush? If not you should play that one immediately. Best one in the series,I think.

Ushgarak
Yup, played IV-VI. As I say, looking back at my saves it seems I didn't quite finish V.

JKozzy
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
the sphere system didnt make sense to me at first in ffx.. I didnt even use it til I was fighting that monster in the temple at besaid o_o...

I like materia system, but magicite system I liked the most. Sphere grid (FFX) is very nice too. Haha! I didn't use it until the Sinspawn! Nice to see someone else do that. That was bad... I hadn't customized my characters at all. My friend had to come over and show me how to use the damned thing... but once I used it, I must say, it's one of my favorite battle systems.

Lana
Sheesh you guys, even though I didn't know what I was doing at first I started using the Sphere Grid first chance you're able stick out tongue

I really like how it lets you customize your characters though more or less you can't change them from the class they are to begin with...turning Yuna into a warrior's not going to work no matter how you try laughing out loud

Avenger2.0
The sphere grid is piss easy to under stand...By the end of the game each character should be able to hit for 99 999 per hit. And tidus's ultimate limit break can do about 900 000 points, And wakkas a whopping 1.8 million points of damage after you remodel the sphere grid from catching all the monsters...
And if you think that this makes the game to easy than you haven't fought Penence(unlocked by defeating all the dark aeons) or Nemisis(unlocked by catching 10 of every monster for the monster arena at the calm lands.

kanis
starwars I disagree i loved being in midgar and when i got outside i was like wow open spaces. And the sphere grid system sucks i like the junction and materia systems better.

Avenger2.0
The junctioing system sucked.....(ff8) only one gf gave ya 4 slots and that was bahamut That means that to get the most out your characters ya had to avoid making than level up at all till after you got bahamut.

Lana
You know you can constantly change the junctioning, correct? Once you junction something it's not permanent.

Avenger2.0
I know that they can be changed later but for leveling up purposes. To make your character stats max you need to have in all the bonuses eg hp bonus, vit bonus or strength bonus and the only gf that allows you to have all 4 are bahamut becuase he gives you 4 junction slots.. Also to max skills fastest you need to have and people in your team without the bonuses dead. This means that you can only have 1 person alive and you must not level up at all until after you beat bahamut. Than you can fight the tough monsters on the island to the far left of the map to level up quickly.

Lana
I know how the play FFVIII, I've beaten it three times. And I've managed to max out all my character stats. It's not hard at all.

Avenger2.0
well listen to this... nobody beats me at final fantasy games.

Lana
Well listen to this....as you're saying the only way to max out a character's stats is by junctioning with Bahamut and as I have maxed ALL my character's stats....you're wrong.

Avenger2.0
Than how did you max there stats if not with the bonuses.....becuase if you did it by winning cards off the card club on disk 4.......than thats alot card playing.

Lana
Actually, I sucked at the card game.

It's just a matter of junctioning the right spells to the right stats. Took me forever to change it around until I got it, and as it's been going on 3 years since I played it, I doubt I could do it again, but it IS possible.

K1ll3r
hmmm...FF 7 is awesome once you get past some of the boring parts. Its the best FF ever

Avenger2.0
Lana, You mis-understand me I mean max stats with no junctioned magics.

Lana
Should have said that then.

Though I must say that the game's not so much fun when you go through it completely maxed out with stats and stuff.

Avenger2.0
Actually it makes it more fun.
If you get the punishment sword for squall before the dollet mission (if can PM you how if you want, it pretty easy) Than you can slaughter any boss easily and that includes that crab thingy....and I mean destroy it before it reaches the beach.

JKozzy
I'm actually kinda interested, love the game, need a new twist to it stick out tongue

Lana
I'm missing one of my discs for FFVIII, hence why I haven't played it in 3 years sad

BackFire
did you get ff7 yet?

Avenger2.0
When we got FF8 the first disc was scratched and always froze in the scene where Quistis shoots that crab. So destroying that Stupid crab got rid of that scene. If you want to know how to get your characters super tough with out leveling up than, just send me a PM or say so and I'll tell ya how.

Lana
Originally posted by BackFire
did you get ff7 yet?

Didn't get a chance to go out looking for it this weekend, I plan to tomorrow after school.

BackFire
Procrastinator. stick out tongue

Lana
Errr, had some crazy family shit going on this weekend that prevented me looking for it. Trust me, I'd have rather spent the weekend trying to find a copy of FFVII.

Avenger2.0
FF VII is a champion game, probably the best, on par with FF X that is.

JKozzy
More like FFX is on par with FFVII.

Avenger2.0
It makes no diffirence, if something is on par it means the same as..Kind of

JKozzy
Nope. VII was first, therefore anything coming after is on par with what was first. Can't say VII was on par with X technically, since X came after VII.

Avenger2.0
The point is that both games are truly champion games.

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by Lana
I'm missing one of my discs for FFVIII, hence why I haven't played it in 3 years sad

You seem to have a lot of trouble with game discs, going by earlier things you've said. stick out tongue

Ushgarak
Somehow I doubt any mature person find the idea of hosing the game so you can easily defeat any monster you meet 'more fun'.

It is exactly what myself and BF were complainging about earlier.

Lana
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
You seem to have a lot of trouble with game discs, going by earlier things you've said. stick out tongue

4 disc games, that's just asking to get lost. I wish they'd release them for PS2 as one disc.

Somehow I doubt any mature person find the idea of hosing the game so you can easily defeat any monster you meet 'more fun'.

It is exactly what myself and BF were complainging about earlier.

Yeah, I agree. I realize I overdid it in FFX only after I had defeated the weapons, once I did that I refused to do any more leveling until AFTER I had finished everything. Then I went back and leveled my characters up more. Same in FFVIII, I didn't max out my characters until I had finished the game once and was replaying it.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by JKozzy
More like FFX is on par with FFVII.

Yeah I kinda felt that.. I attempted a bit of 8.. skipped 9.. but when I saw 10 something just said it would be a nice purchase.. I'm not good at FF games or anything.. but I love how the stories play out.. I'd like to see Yoshitaka Amano do some designs for future ff's.. he did really nice with FF6 with the royal/gothic worn look.. made the settings feel more lived-in

Oh, and Lana.. I havent forgotten about aeris lol.. I've been sketching her alot.. and have been throwing them in the garbage.. when I'm satisfied with one I'll post it up.. embarrasment

Lana
I love Amano's designs, I found an artbook of his work at Borders a couple weeks ago and was SO tempted to buy it, only reason I didn't was because it was about $40. Why are artbooks so expensive cry I wish I could afford more of them because they're so beautiful....

Heh, no problems happy

powerfulone1987
4 disc games, that's just asking to get lost. I wish they'd release them for PS2 as one disc.

Which one had 4 discs?

Yeah, I agree. I realize I overdid it in FFX only after I had defeated the weapons, once I did that I refused to do any more leveling until AFTER I had finished everything. Then I went back and leveled my characters up more. Same in FFVIII, I didn't max out my characters until I had finished the game once and was replaying it.

I keep hearing about weapons in different FF games. How do you defeat a weapon? Better yet, how do you fight a weapon?

And Lana, do you mean after you beat the game you went back and played again just to level up?

Lana
If I remember correctly, FFVII was 3 discs; FFVIII and FFIX were both 4 discs.

And the weapons are optional bosses that they have in the games; they're not actually weapons, those are just their names. Like in FFX there's Ultima Weapon and Omega Weapon, both of which are in Omega Dungeon (great place to level up in, though beware, first time I went in there I got killed in about 30 seconds flat. Monsters in there are NASTY and the only ones worse are the hybrids in the Monster Arena).

And yep, that's what I did. I've beaten FFVIII 3 times, FFX 4, and FFX-2 3 times.

SaTsuJiN
o_o... and to think I havent officially beaten any of them yet >_< (I get to the end , get pulverized, then lose all hope)

powerfulone1987
Yeah, I'm at the end of FFX-2 and I couldn't beat it. Been a while since i've tried again. I would like to beat it before FF12.

Yeah FF7 has 3 disc. I was surprised. I just didn't think it would have that many or be that long, esp. for a game that came out back then.

I don't recall in optional bosses or the Omega dungeon.

Avenger2.0
The ultimate bosses were as follows.

FF7-Ultimate, Ruby and Emerald weapon.
FF8- Ultimate weapon and the Omega weapon.
FF9- Ozma
FF10- Ultimate and omega weapons, Dark aeons, Nemisis and Penance
FFX_2- Paragon and the maester at the bottom of the cloister of trials.

Lana
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
Yeah, I'm at the end of FFX-2 and I couldn't beat it. Been a while since i've tried again. I would like to beat it before FF12.

Yeah FF7 has 3 disc. I was surprised. I just didn't think it would have that many or be that long, esp. for a game that came out back then.

I don't recall in optional bosses or the Omega dungeon.

Omega Dungeoun is optional, you have to look for it.

Originally posted by Avenger2.0
The ultimate bosses were as follows.

FF7-Ultimate, Ruby and Emerald weapon.
FF8- Ultimate weapon and the Omega weapon.
FF9- Ozma
FF10- Ultimate and omega weapons, Dark aeons, Nemisis and Penance
FFX_2- Paragon and the maester at the bottom of the cloister of trials.

The Dark Aeons are only in the Internation version of FFX...unfortunately.

JKozzy

The Dark Aeons are only in the Internation version of FFX...unfortunately. cry

Avenger2.0
Theres rumors that in FF7 you can junction master command materia so that it is able to do morph all or 4*morph. Is this possible or is it a lie?

I also heard that you can get a Aeris or Sephiroth doll with out and actoin replay or xplorer, that can join your team. Is this true

I also heard that it is possible to get cloud as the Gf instead of gilgamesh. Can this be done?

Lana
cry

I wanna get my ass kicked by Dark Bahamut with his 9 million HP cry

Avenger2.0
Dark bahamut is the least of your worries, the magus sisters limit break will kill you instantly and that includes if you have an autolife up(same as yojimbo's) and they got heaps of hp. Dark Anima has 75 million HP and heaps of evasion.

Lana
Whoa.

I wanna fight them! eek!

BackFire
So Lana, any luck finding the game yet?

Lana
....damnit, I was just at the mall the other night shopping for my sister's birthday, walked past freaking Gamestop....and forgot to check erm

BackFire
Bad!! stick out tongue

kanis
alucard Jesus.

Ushgarak
Well now! I have finished my Final Fantasy Fest (which in itself sounds like a game title).

Coming in as an outsider to console gaming, I think I shall write up my thoughts on the three PS FF games soonish. I'll make a new thread for it.

powerfulone1987
ya kinda losta mea.

Lana
I still say you need to find some way to play FFX.

Ushgarak
But that takes effort!

leonheartmm
actually FF7 was the best one for those who PLAYED IT FIRST, meanin it was the first fantasy they probably played. actually in my oppinion
its more like this

final fantasy 9/crono cross
final fantasy 6
final fantasy 7

ff9 n crono cross r the best games ive played on any consoles

Lana
But that takes effort!

Yet you'll spend 6 hours trying to work around game glitches stick out tongue

TwisterGameX
Lana do u have dq yet..I hear ff demo in it

Lana
No I don't have it yet, yes it does come with a demo for FFXII, I will hopefully get it for Christmas.

JKozzy
Ah, the FFXII demo droolio

pirate

TwisterGameX
Is it one of those the first 100 boxes come iwth the demo for a limited time crap or all of them come with it even if I get it 5 years from now ?

JKozzy
Maybe not *five* years later, but it's not limited.

BackFire
I played the ff12 demo, it was pretty neat. The combat system is interesting and pretty fun.

JKozzy
Heh.. think any better of the character graphics?

BackFire
No, those are still crappy.

General Kaliero
4 days ago, I finally got FFVII! Which means that I have played... amazingly, 6 Final Fantasy games.

FF1: Only one I've actually finished (GBA Dawn of Souls version)
FF2: Was doing my best to level near the Mysidian tower (GBA Dawn of Souls version) I *HATE* the experience system here...
FF4: Just after the whole episode with Rydia. Haven't played in I don't know how long.
FF5: Cowering in fear in the place with the wrecked ships and the skeletons all over, with practically no ethers or potions. Also don't remember the last time I played this one.
FF6: In the snowy city, trying to protect the Phantom Beast from Kefka's troops.
FF7: Wandering around in the prison under the Saucer.

Also surprising is, that's the order I ended up starting them in. I hate that I've not finished any of them but 1, but I know I'll finish 'em all eventually!

I'd also just like to note the news of a 3D DS overhaul for FF3. While it hasn't officially been announced for North America, what better time could Square Enix pick to finally bring the missing game to American shores? I know I'm praying for it.

Ushgarak
Yet you'll spend 6 hours trying to work around game glitches stick out tongue

Yeah, well, once I have started something it's actually MORE effort to try and get me to stop.

Lana
Yeah good point.

skyflyer
Which Final Fantasy had the best storyline?

MadMel
ive played 7, 8, 9, X and X2...i think the best story of those is 7...especially since you can play the game, finish it then watch the movie....both sotrylines put together are awesome..they complete the picture for me..sorted out a few things i never understood, etc...im not saying the other stories suck, the're all good..i just like that one better stick out tongue

Pezmerga
Final Fantasy VI is the best game I have ever played. I probally am biased though, being it was my first.
I love the music the best, the Characters the best, and the Story the best. Second for me would be IV, then V, then VII. I'm Old School.

MadMel
same here with 7..i actually played the demo to 8 first...then i asked mum to get it for me...and she bought 7 instead laughing out loud...

Kumar
Ok, since my thread failed, can anyone give me a link to the High Polygon Mod for the FFVII PC? I would be much obliged big grin

Kumar
BUMP

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by Kumar
Ok, since my thread failed, can anyone give me a link to the High Polygon Mod for the FFVII PC? I would be much obliged big grin

try the forum here

JKozzy
Kumar, five hours of no replies doesn't deserve a bump....

Ispen
Who is Reeve on ff vii? In ff vii he supposedly controls cait sith, but in AC on clouds phone there is a voice mail from reeve. He sounds nothing like cait sith, who apears in the film later. He is apparently a major character in dirge of cirberous (i havent spelt that right). If anyone can giv any info I would be gratified.

Soljer
Final Fantasy 6(3 in the US) is definitely the best. Jesus, just thinking back to the hours spent playing that game. I loved it!

Seven comes in second, and then a DISTANT third would probably be either IX or V.

Impediment
The newest EGM has confirmation that FF 7 is indeed in development for the PS3. Cant provide a link due to scan issues, but anyone who receives the mag electronically can confirm. Page 76. Looks like 2007 release.

ESB - 1138
Here's a question, why do everyone here think so much of Final Fantasy 7? If anything it's not even the top 3 best video games. While the graphics aren't the worst in the history of PlayStation, it is much worse than a Final Fantasy should be. A lot of time and money was invested into this game, which makes the low quality graphics even more confusing. It's predecessor beats it hands down and it was on a much weaker 16-bit system.

While the FMVs obviously looked better than the in-game graphics, it still doesn't save them. They looked very unprofessional and choppy, plus Final Fantasy VII International has a few new FMVs which do not match the quality and style of the regular release.

It was expected that since Square was making this game for an advanced system, that the battle system would improve. Instead they kept it pretty much the same as the other active time battle system games. Plus the amount of characters per battle went from four to three. With that said, the battle system was somewhat disappointing because there was nothing special about it.

The characters are what makes this game one of the least entertaining Final Fantasy games. Cloud acts like a spoiled child, Aeris is simply useless, Cait Sith is a joke and Barret is the stereotypical angry black man, which can make Square seem almost racist. Even some of the Shinra enemies also took away from the enjoyment of the game.

Cait Sith is a robotic cat on top of a giant stuffed moogle, that is controlled by a Shinra employee named Reeve, who has kidnapped Marlene so he could join your party to spy on you. Complicated yet not interesting at all.

Most Final Fantasy fans in the USA have started with this game, so they have a love for this game that blinds most of them from the truth. Those fans believe that this game has the best story, characters and replay value of all the other games in the series. Unfortunately, this has made Final Fantasy VII the most overrated Final Fantasy game.

Impediment
Originally posted by ESB - 1138
Here's a question, why do everyone here think so much of Final Fantasy 7? If anything it's not even the top 3 best video games. While the graphics aren't the worst in the history of PlayStation, it is much worse than a Final Fantasy should be. A lot of time and money was invested into this game, which makes the low quality graphics even more confusing. It's predecessor beats it hands down and it was on a much weaker 16-bit system.

While the FMVs obviously looked better than the in-game graphics, it still doesn't save them. They looked very unprofessional and choppy, plus Final Fantasy VII International has a few new FMVs which do not match the quality and style of the regular release.

It was expected that since Square was making this game for an advanced system, that the battle system would improve. Instead they kept it pretty much the same as the other active time battle system games. Plus the amount of characters per battle went from four to three. With that said, the battle system was somewhat disappointing because there was nothing special about it.

The characters are what makes this game one of the least entertaining Final Fantasy games. Cloud acts like a spoiled child, Aeris is simply useless, Cait Sith is a joke and Barret is the stereotypical angry black man, which can make Square seem almost racist. Even some of the Shinra enemies also took away from the enjoyment of the game.

Cait Sith is a robotic cat on top of a giant stuffed moogle, that is controlled by a Shinra employee named Reeve, who has kidnapped Marlene so he could join your party to spy on you. Complicated yet not interesting at all.

Most Final Fantasy fans in the USA have started with this game, so they have a love for this game that blinds most of them from the truth. Those fans believe that this game has the best story, characters and replay value of all the other games in the series. Unfortunately, this has made Final Fantasy VII the most overrated Final Fantasy game.

1. FFVII is the most popular, and successful game in the series. This can be proven on an Etch-a-Sketch. Back in 1997, the graphics were phenomenal.

2. Again, the FMVs were top line back then.

3. I admit, the battle system could have been more tweaked, but thats the whole point of the Materia System: to mix-and-match and to make endless combiations.

4. The character development alone is what made FFVII so in-depth to begin with. Cloud's moodiness made him a poster child for Wellbutrin, Aeris was meant to be an off screen presence, hence her early demise. Cait Sith is meant to be the comic relief. I would think that this is painfully obvious Just look at his weapons and his limit break: Megaphones and dice. Wow. Real heroic, huh? And if you're going to link Barrett's words and actions to monikers of hate, then thats just close minded idiocy, IMO. Take a look at GTA: San Andreas if you want one-sided stereotypes.

5. Again, Cait Sith is meant to be a joke. And personally, I liked the whole "spy" scenario. Adds a little depth to his silly character.

6. I've been playing these games since I was 11 years old (1991) and have since beaten FFIII, literally, over a dozen times. FFVII is still popular enough to spawn a movie-sequel, a brand new spin-off game (Dirge of Cerberus) and, yes, a remake on the PS3. EGM's latest issue has comfirmed it. Overhyped, you say? If you don't like this game, FINE. Opinions are like a$$holes: everybody has one. Myself, and many, many, many other gamers love this game. Why do I think so much of FFVII? Because it's a phenomenal game. To deny so is insane.

havoxz
FF7 is definitely the best if not, FF8 THEN, both story lines are awesome in my opinion. just leafing over this forum. did anyone find out where to buy the games? for ps1 or pc even? (besides amazon.com that is) thanks!

darth_royke

SaferSephiroth
anyone know how old sephiroth is? Vincents 27 and he had a fling with lucrecia, sephiroths biological mother, would that have been before or after his birth? if after, lucrecia would be getting on a bit wouldnt she? shed any light on this anyone?

Dusty
Originally posted by Impediment

5. Again, Cait Sith is meant to be a joke. And personally, I liked the whole "spy" scenario. Adds a little depth to his silly character.

I hated cait for that. That mother****er.

I'd do anything to get another copy of this game.

Sin Harvest
Originally posted by SaferSephiroth
anyone know how old sephiroth is? Vincents 27 and he had a fling with lucrecia, sephiroths biological mother, would that have been before or after his birth? if after, lucrecia would be getting on a bit wouldnt she? shed any light on this anyone?

Sephiroth is 30+. Wherever you heard Vincent was 27 you were misinformed because Vincent is around Hojo's age who is like 50-60+.

Lyna303
wow...final fantasy vii is really expensive now...

MadMel
not really....$30 on ebay-australia..that about $20-25 american..

Lyna303
Originally posted by MadMel
not really....$30 on ebay-australia..that about $20-25 american..
i don't know where you're shopping, but new factory sealed ones are like $30+

btw...im looking forward to spore too...yay!

Lana
Originally posted by Lyna303
i don't know where you're shopping, but new factory sealed ones are like $30+

btw...im looking forward to spore too...yay!

New factory sealed copies of FFVII don't exist because it's been out of print for several years.

If you're finding a factory-sealed copy for $30, I'd say that's damn cheap.

Lyna303
New factory sealed copies of FFVII don't exist because it's been out of print for several years.

If you're finding a factory-sealed copy for $30, I'd say that's damn cheap.
i guess...go look on ebay, one got sold for close to $100...

Lana
i guess...go look on ebay, one got sold for close to $100...

For a game as popular as FFVII, I'd believe it, and not be surprised in the least.

Lyna303
For a game as popular as FFVII, I'd believe it, and not be surprised in the least.
i donno i think its pretty sad that some people cant enjoy the game like when it was priced normally, i mean for people who haven't already played it...

Lana
i donno i think its pretty sad that some people cant enjoy the game like when it was priced normally, i mean for people who haven't already played it...

So....look for a used copy instead of one that's still factory-sealed.

BackFire
There were a bunch of brand new looking copies of this game at the comic con last month, for like 10 bucks.

Lana
And you didn't buy me one why? stick out tongue

Chances are, though, unless they were from a Sony booth that they weren't factory-sealed and that they were simply in good condition and re-sealed. That and selling bootlegs is something that booths in the dealers rooms at cons are notorious for doing (even though they're not supposed to)

BackFire
They certainly weren't bootlegs.

They probably were used, they looked like they were in really good condition, either way.

JKozzy
And you didn't buy me one why? stick out tongue

Chances are, though, unless they were from a Sony booth that they weren't factory-sealed and that they were simply in good condition and re-sealed. That and selling bootlegs is something that booths in the dealers rooms at cons are notorious for doing (even though they're not supposed to) In order for a bootleg game to work, they'd either have to have their own set of expensive equipment and would have to charge the same if not more than sony, or you must have a modded system... so they're probably not bootlegs then, just nicely priced. The game's almost ten years old anyway; some Xbox games are platinum greatest hits or something like that, something more than their normal platinum hits, which are $9.99 instead of the $19.99.

Lana
In order for a bootleg game to work, they'd either have to have their own set of expensive equipment and would have to charge the same if not more than sony, or you must have a modded system... so they're probably not bootlegs then, just nicely priced. The game's almost ten years old anyway; some Xbox games are platinum greatest hits or something like that, something more than their normal platinum hits, which are $9.99 instead of the $19.99.

I know that, and I wasn't referring to games exclusively stick out tongue

§P0oONY

InnerRise

dirkdirden

Superboy Prime
Finish the game. The story's nice and just forget about the graphics. Keep in mind it's a 10 years old game when you're about to puke because of funny popeye characters. Earlier people talked about FFIX being the best or worst PSX FF, and I have to say it's a nice FF. I never finished it, but played it until the very end. Some old school FF5/6 fans say FFIX is the best because it's style aproaches that of the SNES Final Fantasies while the PSX era fans dislike it because it's different from 7 & 8. From a non-biased(as mush as I can anyway) opinion FFIX is a great game comparable to 6, 7 & 8. It has a great story, nicely developed characters, a ruthless & really powerful villain and it's humor is just top of the line. In fact FFIX made me laugh more times than any other FF game. FFIX's graphics pushed the PSX further down the road than the previous FFs too.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by InnerRise
I thought that Aeris would died toward the end of the game

Well I'm glad you still can get into the game.

I got the game for the first time, earlier this year or towards the end of last year.

I played it a bit and I just couldn't get into it b/c of the graphics. Then I got to the part right where Cloud sneaks out of Aeris's house and I got stuck in that Broken Up Highway part and coudn't figure out where to go or what to do next.

Haven't picked up the game since. doped

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

I was dead annoyed the 1st time I completed the game, As I'd been training her for ages, she dies slap bang in the middle of the game.

The graphics aren't that bad. It really doesn't effect the game though. If you've never left the 1st city then you've not experienced 0.1% of what the game has too offer. I don't really remember the broken highway part enough to help. I remember the bit after it in Wall Street is rather humourous though.

InnerRise

Kayne Archeron
Originally posted by Superboy Prime
Finish the game. The story's nice and just forget about the graphics. Keep in mind it's a 10 years old game when you're about to puke because of funny popeye characters. Earlier people talked about FFIX being the best or worst PSX FF, and I have to say it's a nice FF. I never finished it, but played it until the very end. Some old school FF5/6 fans say FFIX is the best because it's style aproaches that of the SNES Final Fantasies while the PSX era fans dislike it because it's different from 7 & 8. From a non-biased(as mush as I can anyway) opinion FFIX is a great game comparable to 6, 7 & 8. It has a great story, nicely developed characters, a ruthless & really powerful villain and it's humor is just top of the line. In fact FFIX made me laugh more times than any other FF game. FFIX's graphics pushed the PSX further down the road than the previous FFs too.

i agree, 9 did have the best humor. I wish they'd make another FF like it sad

BackFire
I played FFVII a little over a year ago, like my third time through. Such a spectacular game

§P0oONY
Yeah, that does sound annoying.

Well do you remember spending the night at Aeris's house?

And then when Cloud sneaks out and plans to leave w/out telling Aeris, but meets him as he's leaving the house.

The Road part i'm talking about is right after that.

I remember it... But I don't remember having any problems there.

InnerRise

§P0oONY
Ummm.....well............that's good for you......................not so much me...........................thanks though. doped

If you're having trouble finding a path through it. I think that there is a ramp on the right side. I'm not sure if that helps at all.... Just keep looking for routes.

(Update: I'm now up the bit where you have to go to Mt.Corel After Cloud's Mako overdose.)

Kayne Archeron
go to gamefaqs.com if you're having trouble with that game

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.