guitar help

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Jello
hey, i'm looking for a new guitar and i need some help.
basically i'm looking for a smaller scale (24" or 22.5"wink with a thin neck and a jazzy sound prefferably, left-handed.
I really have my eye set on either a Fender Duosonic, Mustang, or a Jazzmaster.

Do any of you guys know where i could buy one or are willing to sell one?

Basically what i want to do is take a lefty duosonic or mustang, put in Jaguar style dual circuits and slider switches, a Jazzmaster floating bridge and trem, a jazzmaster single coil in the lead position and a Dimarzio Humbucker in the bridge position.

Basically something for a left-handed player with small hands and fingers who plays mostly surf/punk.

eggmayo
eBay.

Darth Revan
Originally posted by Darth Jello
hey, i'm looking for a new guitar and i need some help.
basically i'm looking for a smaller scale (24" or 22.5"wink with a thin neck and a jazzy sound prefferably, left-handed.
I really have my eye set on either a Fender Duosonic, Mustang, or a Jazzmaster.

Do any of you guys know where i could buy one or are willing to sell one?

Basically what i want to do is take a lefty duosonic or mustang, put in Jaguar style dual circuits and slider switches, a Jazzmaster floating bridge and trem, a jazzmaster single coil in the lead position and a Dimarzio Humbucker in the bridge position.

Basically something for a left-handed player with small hands and fingers who plays mostly surf/punk.

Duosonics are cool, but if I'm not mistaken they don't make them anymore..? So I personally wouldn't go cutting one up and putting new electronics in it...

Darth Jello
duosonics and mustangs sound like shit without custamization and their bridges are terrible. actually they're pretty much the same guitar (as is the music master, the cyclone, and the supersonic).
the only thing on ebay was a silver sparkly japanese supersonic that looked like it needed a lot of work before being even remotely playable.

Darth Revan
Nuh-uh sad I'm actually serious when I say, if you come across a Duosonic (not a reissue) that's playable, DON'T GO PUTTING NEW SHIT IN IT. Or if you do, don't do anything that can't be undone, and don't throw away whatever you take out... Because original, un-****ed-with Duosonics are worth some money. Come to think of it though, you'd have a hard enough time tracking down an original left-handed one to begin with. So I'll shut up.

Darth Jello
a duosonic is just a mustang without a trem.

Darth Jello
alright, i guess i'll post a little review,
a musicmaster is a short scale guitar, somewhat similar to a strat, with 1 single coil pickup, a duosonic is a musicmaster with 2 single coil pickups, a mustang is a duosonic with a trem, a cyclone is a kurt cobain inspired mustang with a humbucker in the bridge, a supersonic is a cyclone with two humbuckers.

A Jazzmaster is one of the most advanced guitars ever built, featuring an obtuse body, a unique floating trem, 2 special mellow single coil "soap bar" pickups, and a unique dual circuit selector system, a jaguar is a short scale jazzmaster with two standard single coil pickups and some tweaking in the circuits to cut down on feedback, a tornado is a kurt cobain inspired jaguar with two humbucker pickups.
A Jagstang is a Kurt Cobain designed guitar with a body that combines some of teh features of the Mustang and Jaguar with a dual circuit, a mustang bridge and trem, a single coil in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge. It's basically unfinished, uncontoured, and is for all intents and purposes an unplayable piece of crap.
Mustang and Bronco bases use the musicmaster body. the rare fender V and fender VI basses (5 and 6 string bases with trems) use mustang and jazzmaster bodies respectively.

People who play/have played these guitars-Kurt Cobain, Rikk Agnew, Dick Dale, Buddy Holly, Liz Phair, Mellissa Ethridge, Thurston Moore, Frank Agnew, Deedee Ramone, and lots of other people with smaller hands and/or incomes.

Darth Revan
a duosonic is just a mustang without a trem.

I'm aware of this... But unless I'm horribly misinformed, non-reissue Duosonics are rather rare.

Darth Jello
i discovered fender of Japan so i guess i can order a mustang there, tho it will be pricey. and i think you mean the rare "student series" duosonics that have a 22.5" scale length. those are really rare and probably damn comfortable.

jaden101
your a lefty?...me too...nightmare getting guitars unless you're willing to pay a bit more

still...you could go for the Cobain look with a lefty jagstand in blue

Darth Jello
no, Jagstangs are unplayable. they're uncomfortable, they sound like shit, and they haven't been made by anyone in 4 years. They're only for nirvana fans or collectors since no one in their right mind would pay such a high price for such a shitty guitar. the two guitars that are more closely based on Cobain's taste and sound are the Cyclone and the Tornado. I'm going for a more Rikk Agnew/Adolescents surfey sound hence my want of a Mustang with Jazzmaster/Jaguar electronics.

Btw, the easiet right-handed guitar to restring and play is the Gibson SG/Epiphone G. no bridges to flip, no extra holes to drill. it's almost simetrical!!!

jaden101
no, Jagstangs are unplayable. they're uncomfortable, they sound like shit, and they haven't been made by anyone in 4 years. They're only for nirvana fans or collectors since no one in their right mind would pay such a high price for such a shitty guitar. the two guitars that are more closely based on Cobain's taste and sound are the Cyclone and the Tornado. I'm going for a more Rikk Agnew/Adolescents surfey sound hence my want of a Mustang with Jazzmaster/Jaguar electronics.

Btw, the easiet right-handed guitar to restring and play is the Gibson SG/Epiphone G. no bridges to flip, no extra holes to drill. it's almost simetrical!!!

haha...my mate will be happy with that comment...he just spent 500 bucks on a jagstang less than a year ago...foolish boy...then again...he is obsessed with nirvana

Darth Jello
the thing was never finished, dammit. It uses cheap, shoddy pickups, bad tuners, and has no contouring whatsoever, you might as well tape a magnet to a log, string it and play that.

jaden101
the thing was never finished, dammit. It uses cheap, shoddy pickups, bad tuners, and has no contouring whatsoever, you might as well tape a magnet to a log, string it and play that.

i think you've just solved your own problem

laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.