Is Spider-Man really a moron?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Scoobless
ok, i like Spider-Man.... my gripe is with one specific thing:

IMPACT WEBBING!

and to a lesser degree: Stingers

Ben Reilly aka the Scarlet Spider invented Impact webbing and used it frequently as SS... one time he took Pete's place in jail (during the whole Kaine storyline) Pete had to use the SS costume to get out of jail and go home... later he gets into a fight with (i think) the female Scorpion, Shocker, Jack O'Lantern, Mysterio, Electro?.... anyway there were about 5 of them ... maybe six.... they were hunting Kaine, as Kaine had been killing Spidey's enemies, during the fight, Pete uses both Impact webbing and Stingers and comments:

"Why didn't i come up with these?"

so he likes them.

but later, Pete loses his powers (temporarily) and Ben ditches the Scarlet Spider costume and becomes Spider-Man again..... and Impact webbing is never again used.

it's so friggin useful and would help out a ton.... why would Ben stop using it? and why wouldn't Pete develop it or get the formula from Ben?

For a guy who is considered to be a genius by some, he doesn't always live up to it

feel free to post other examples of Spider-Man's idiocy

Smaxxer
He should have killed Carnage when he had the chance. Innocent lives have been lost because he spared his life...

And he has lost fights because he held back. Not too clever Peter !!

Sparkz
Ben Reily used the stingers a couple of times as Spider-man, not sure bout impact webbing though, but pete uses both in his final fight with Black Tarantular, never to be used again :s

Next Venom_girl
I don't know about moron but he certainly seems to have a memory problem.

Instance 1: Thinks 'what a great new experience it is to team up with someone else with Spider-powers' when he meets Ezekiel.... What about all those team ups with say Ben Reilly, Venom, Kaine, the Spider-Women, etc...
Instance 2: "This is the first time I've been here since it happens' thinks during Sins Past when he arrives at the Brooklyn bridge. Not to mention those millions of other times he's sat and brooded on that bridge.

Also in the issue of Gwen's death, he calls the Brooklyn Bridge the George Washington Bridge.

None of the aforementioned instances can really be attributed to a stupid Spidey, more like stupid editors....

Scoobless
i think it was the GW bridge originally

DigiMark007
Yeah, the George Washington Bridge. My memory had failed and I was calling it the Washinton St. Bridge for a while, but I just checked the issue.

Scoobless
you have the original death of GS issue?

DigiMark007
Not quite. I have Amazing SM #'s 1-500 on CDs. So yes, technically. But I can't put my hands around the issue in the traditional sense (and it's obviously not worth anything compared to the original).

Scoobless
have you read through all of them yet?.... can i have that disc?

DigiMark007
It's hella-tough to get through all of them, but I'm trying. I'm on about 84 right now (I've had it for a couple months). And it's actually 11 different CDs. They don't all fit onto one.

And no, they're mine. LOL. But for about $30 American (or whatever that translates to in Scotland) you can own it yourself...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006Q7FEM/qid=1131851159/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-5201259-9557413?v=glance&s=videogames&n=507846

...for some reason I can't save the pages as images to post as scans on the internet, but it was still money well spent.

Scoobless
what type of files are they?...

DigiMark007
PDFs (they run on Adobe Reader). But I think it's protected from doing stuff like that...one of the Amazon reviews mentions it, and I get a "you do not have permission to export pictures from this file" when I try to put them on the internet or export them anywhere.

Scoobless
yeah... PDFs suck ballzz... i used to DL PDFs at first... then i tried a few CBRs... they're tons better.... some PDF files will let you export pics... some wont.... i think it depends on the version number... maybe your ones are right protected... did you purchase them.... legally?

DigiMark007
Yeah, it was completely legal (bought it at my local Best Buy electronics store...and the same product is on the link I provided above at Amazon.com). I think it's protected though.

Scoobless
just had a look... seems like a good thing to get.... though PDFs still suck compared to CBRs.... the reviews seem favourable

DigiMark007
Leonidas expressed interest in it too a while back when I mentioned it. It's a ton of comics (it'll take me probably another year or two to get through them all) but its great for referencing fights and memorable battles and such (like the numerous Hulk battles, Juggernaut, the infamous SM/FL, etc.). And you notice fun stuff like Stan calling him the wrong name in an early issue (something like Peter Palto) and get to see when guys like Scorpion, Kingpin, Doc Ock, Chameleon, etc. weren't jobbers and would actually give SM good fights.

Sometimes it's a bit of a chore if you want to read throught them all, but it's still nice to have them.

And I just figured out that if I save them to my computer individually as PDFs I don't need the CDs. Might be able to sell it back after all....hehe. Still can't use them for scans, but it's easier than switching disks all the time.

Scoobless
you could stick them on AIM and we could all share the wealth..... evil face

Creshosk
Originally posted by DigiMark007
...for some reason I can't save the pages as images to post as scans on the internet, but it was still money well spent. Just gotta think in new ways.

Photoshop will open a pdf, one page at a time, and there is also the screen capture idea.

Next Venom_girl
Yeah, the George Washington Bridge. My memory had failed and I was calling it the Washinton St. Bridge for a while, but I just checked the issue.
I have that issue too in a TPB (it sucks, there's no color). But I saw on this documentary on the Travel Channel (Called something like "The Marvel Superhero's Guide to New York."wink Stan Lee points out the blooper in an interview. That the art had been drawn as the Brooklyn Bridge but it was written in as the George Washinton Bridge in the dialogue.

Metalmanx
Leonidas expressed interest in it too a while back when I mentioned it. It's a ton of comics (it'll take me probably another year or two to get through them all) but its great for referencing fights and memorable battles and such (like the numerous Hulk battles, Juggernaut, the infamous SM/FL, etc.). And you notice fun stuff like Stan calling him the wrong name in an early issue (something like Peter Palto) and get to see when guys like Scorpion, Kingpin, Doc Ock, Chameleon, etc. weren't jobbers and would actually give SM good fights.

Sometimes it's a bit of a chore if you want to read throught them all, but it's still nice to have them.

And I just figured out that if I save them to my computer individually as PDFs I don't need the CDs. Might be able to sell it back after all....hehe. Still can't use them for scans, but it's easier than switching disks all the time.

Digi, just use the "print screen" feature on your computer. Then edit the scan in Micrcosoft Pain or Photoshop. That should do it for ya.

Arahan
You wan it? Buy it!

But yes screen captuiring and Photoshop should be fine to get the
pictures.

DigiMark007
I'm attempting to download photoshop (I only have photo house right now). And printing and scanning won't work...because my scanner hasn't worked for about ayear now. New cpu. Old scanner. Not compatible or some shit.

But thanks for all the suggestions. If I figure anything out the first scan I'll post will be the Gwen Stacy issue (121?).

{edit} damn...it says there are no photos in the pdf files (of the issues) so it won't open it. It seems it's just not meant to happen.

Creshosk
I'm attempting to download photoshop (I only have photo house right now). And printing and scanning won't work...because my scanner hasn't worked for about ayear now. New cpu. Old scanner. Not compatible or some shit.

But thanks for all the suggestions. If I figure anything out the first scan I'll post will be the Gwen Stacy issue (121?).

{edit} damn...it says there are no photos in the pdf files (of the issues) so it won't open it. It seems it's just not meant to happen. The print screen (or scrn rather) should be on the upper righthnand side of your keyboard, it captures what is shown on your monitor to your clipboard.

Open up an image editing program and paster the contents of your clipboard.

DigiMark007
Sorry to off-topic your thread so much Scoob. I'm just going to PM cresh at this point.

Scoobless
Sorry to off-topic your thread so much Scoob. I'm just going to PM cresh at this point.

np... i wouldn't mind seeing some of those scans myself

DigiMark007
Cresh is awesome. A little got cut off here, and it might not be completely clear, but I want to test it...

I'll do more later.

Scoobless
I bet i know who dies...... eek!

Creshosk
Aunt May has seen better days. . .

Arahan
damn it, I cant figure out who is gonna die....
May be Robbie???

laughing

DigiMark007
Yeah Aunt May looked about 90 when the series first started. They must have ret-conned her age at some point, cause there's no way she should still be alive. LOL

Next Venom_girl
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f47/t370864.html

Scoobless
hey Digi.... can you post the Spidey Vs Firelord scans... i've never read that fight

DigiMark007
...i'll get to it scoob. In a day or two. smile Maybe I'll just add it to the Gwen Stacy thread, or I'm thinking about starting a "Spidey's Greatest Hits" thread for multiple battles. Hell, I could just turn it into a SM respect thread if I wanted.

Scoobless
...i'll get to it scoob. In a day or two. smile Maybe I'll just add it to the Gwen Stacy thread, or I'm thinking about starting a "Spidey's Greatest Hits" thread for multiple battles.

I. MUST. READ. IT.

thesilverspider
that spidey respect thread sounds good

Spideys Sister
Originally posted by Scoobless
ok, i like Spider-Man.... my gripe is with one specific thing:

IMPACT WEBBING!

and to a lesser degree: Stingers

Ben Reilly aka the Scarlet Spider invented Impact webbing and used it frequently as SS... one time he took Pete's place in jail (during the whole Kaine storyline) Pete had to use the SS costume to get out of jail and go home... later he gets into a fight with (i think) the female Scorpion, Shocker, Jack O'Lantern, Mysterio, Electro?.... anyway there were about 5 of them ... maybe six.... they were hunting Kaine, as Kaine had been killing Spidey's enemies, during the fight, Pete uses both Impact webbing and Stingers and comments:

"Why didn't i come up with these?"

so he likes them.

but later, Pete loses his powers (temporarily) and Ben ditches the Scarlet Spider costume and becomes Spider-Man again..... and Impact webbing is never again used.

it's so friggin useful and would help out a ton.... why would Ben stop using it? and why wouldn't Pete develop it or get the formula from Ben?

For a guy who is considered to be a genius by some, he doesn't always live up to it

feel free to post other examples of Spider-Man's idiocy Spider-man is one of the smartest guys... this really belongs in the Spidey section.

Swanky-Tuna
That is a pretty big lapse. He probably should of followed up on that.

But really, a lot of super heroes are stupid if for no other reason than to keep US entertained. A lot of them have indirectly cost the lives of hundreds of comic book citizens' lives by letting villains like Joker or Carnage live. But if they butchered every villain to prevent this, like I likely would, then what left would there be for us to read?

Scoobless
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
That is a pretty big lapse. He probably should of followed up on that.

But really, a lot of super heroes are stupid if for no other reason than to keep US entertained. A lot of them have indirectly cost the lives of hundreds of comic book citizens' lives by letting villains like Joker or Carnage live. But if they butchered every villain to prevent this, like I likely would, then what left would there be for us to read?

well Joker and Carnage have been locked up so many times that it's really the governments responsibility that they keep getting back onto the streets

Spidey and Batman probably realise that they wouldn't be able to help anyone if they were wanted for murder

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by Scoobless
well Joker and Carnage have been locked up so many times that it's really the governments responsibility that they keep getting back onto the streets
And that's why they should murder them. Regardless of consequences.

Spideys Sister

DigiMark007
And that's why they should murder them. Regardless of consequences.

You'd like Authority Swanky.

Swanky-Tuna
You'd like Authority Swanky.
Is this a comic? Tell me more, please.

Scoobless
Is this a comic? Tell me more, please.

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/6849/authority6hb.gif

they're a bunch of super people who don't take any sh!t... if someone threatens to blow something up, they stop him, then cut the guys head off (or smash it in, implode it, melt it... whatever)

oh yeah... they got sick of politicians getting away with everything, starting wars over oil, polluting third world countries... the general stuff politicians do... so they overthrew the US government and warned every other government that they'll be keeping a close eye on all of them

http://www.sequart.com/articles/index.php?article=601

they're basically like a seriously pissed off Justice League

Swanky-Tuna
That's awesome beyond awesome.

DigiMark007
^ what Scoob said.

Their series starts with a block called "Relentless" that collects issues 1-6. I actually picked it up in the middle (the first arc I read was in volume 2) but that's the best place to start. They don't have a ton of stuff out (maybe 40-60 comics total right now) so it's not terribly hard to catch up.

But they kick major ass....it's what the JLA should be, and what good comic writing should be (for the most part...it ebbs and flows in quality like any series).

Spideys Sister
Violence is not the answer. Good soultion not the answer.

Swanky-Tuna
It's kind of double edged. Like on Reboot. Everyone wanted to destroy the viruses but Bob wanted to rehabilitate them instead. And in the end one of the viruses under Bob's watch saved them all. But then the other took over the system.

So I guess you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Spideys Sister
laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.