Really stupid questions

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mujaffa
1 If you drive in lightspeed and turn your light on, what would happen?
2 what is 2353746325/12465324576*0

LanceWindu
You know these could have just gone into Lance's Mindless Ramblings.

Mujaffa
mmm. you got a point..... please close

Thomas H
laughing out loud

Ushgarak
If anyone wants to listen I can answer the first... I have too many damn physics students as friends...

The basic answer is that it depeds where you are in relation to the light source.

yerssot
if you wait for just a few minutes so I can find something to sleep on, you can go ahead

Ushgarak
Yeah, won't be a quick explanation, I am afraid. Basic relativity isn't actually beyond the scope of people without Masters degrees (or in my case, without any sort of decent qualification at all), but is IS rather cumbersome.

mah
tell us!

Ushgarak
Um, ok. In a little bit, though. I'm chatting with friends and I don't want to vanish from the convo while I type it all out!

Raz
1) Bascially you won't even be able to switch your lights on!
Apart from the fact it would be impossible to hit the speed of light, even if you got damn close, your weight would be so heavy you would probably get crushed within yourself as your weight would approach infinety.
Why do you gain weight when you travel REALLY fast? Easy: E=MC^2 big grin
Since you would be travelling really fast - you would have masses of kentic energy which according to einstein has to be stored somewhere - and it is - as weight.

2) Easy: Infinety.

2353746325/12465324576*0 = 2353746325/0
Any number divded by 0 is equal to infinety.

Ushgarak
Right, if anyone quotes hyper-advanced physics at me to dispute this I will cry. This is the basic outline, ok?

Ok, three things must ALWAYS be born in mind when talking about this sort of thing.

1. Nothing can go faster than light speed
2. Light always moves at lightspeed
3. Speed is relative.

The first is a given

The second is important to bear in mind- unless acted upon by some force, light always goes at lightspeed. You don't get slow light. You have a lightbeam, lightspeed is what it wants to go at

The third is vital. For example: The Earth is meant to move at about some 10,000 miles an hour. But that is only relative to the sun. To US the Earth does not move at all. Who is right? Both! There is no central point that we measure speed from, no 'zero' speed area. ALL speed is relative. Relative to the centre of the galaxy, the sun and all the planets are moving at huge spees. Relative to us that movement does not exist. Driving on a motorway, the people in the car with you are not moving at all. Relative to the people coming the other way in cars, they are moving at nearly 100mph or more. BOTH are correct; it's all relative.

Ok, so, once that is bourne in mind... here are some examples about speed that help answer this.

Imagine you are on a bike chasing a car. The car will get away from you, in all probability. Logically, though, the harder you pedal, the faster you will go, and the less quickly the car will escape you. Fair enough, right?

Now, imagine you are not chasing a car but a beam of light. Remember that the speed is always relative to you, and the light beam always moves at lightspeed. This means that no matter HOW fast you pedal, the lightbeam will always get away from you just as quickly! Is the lightbeam speeding up to do this? No! It's just moving away from you at the same relative speed- lightspeed!

Hang on. What about your friend standing at the starting line? How does that work for him? If the lightbeam is getting away from you, on the bike, at lightspeed, then surely it will look to him as if it is moving at MORE than lightspeed! Well, actually, no. To him it will look like it is moving at lightspeed from him. The rules still apply.

Hang on. Doesn;t that mean that the light beam is moving at different speeds for each of you? Well, no. For both of you it is moving at lightspeed. But what WILL happen is this- the guy on the bike will see the lightbeam hit and illuminate objects BEFORE the person on the starting line does, by a fraction.

Doesn't that defy common sense? Well, it seems to. One of the basic tenets of relativity is that two people will see the same thing in different ways. The importsnt thing is that the same events still happen, the lightbeam IS there, but you don't see it all happening at the same time.

So, to return to the question... we need two people to answer it. One in the car, and one watching the car drive by.

For the person in the car, nothing odd happens. The headlights are not moving, relative to him! So when he turns them on, the lightbeam will happily move away from him at lightspeed just as it would on a motorway.

But for the person watching it drive by.... the car (and so the headlights) are moving at lightspeed. So where does the light go? It goes nowhere. With the car moving at lightspeed already the lightbeam cannot improve on it. Therefore this person will see no light coming out the headlights.

Which returns to my basic point, what happens depends where you are in relation to the light source!

Mad, isn't it?

All of this, of course, ignores the fact that you can neither move at lightspeed nor observe any object doing so!

mah
thanks for that, I didn't fall asleep and it was actually quite interesting!

yerssot
*wakes up*
is it over yet? sad

Palanfirith
Mujjafa,I have a Q :
1.does "/" meens divided by.
In that case the answer to the second Q is 0.

And the answer to the second Q does not have importance because Raz and Ushgarak gave us an excelent demonstration big grin

Ushgarak
Raz gave us a literal answer there which I basically noted with my closing comment.

Corran
My head hurts!!! sad

queeq
Try have a brain fitted.

Corran
Don't need one of those, I've got a computer!!

Raz
Just count yourself lucky you didn't have to attend those headhurting physics lessons!

Corran
I did do, just don't remember my head hurting like that!!

queeq
Pay attention next time. big grin

Corran
There's not gonna be a next time!

Gundark
*checks Corran's schedule*

It says right here

6AM-12PM "Physics 5001"

queeq
DRIIIINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Corran
Damn - missed class, oh well, think I'll go for a drink instead!!

queeq
No, you'll go to the headmaster's office. Or in this case: Gundy's basement. evil face

Gundark
I'm ready for him.

http://www.forum-smilies.com/brutal_35.gif

Captain REX
The pain and suffering he'll experience... evil face

Wait...what does it say on my schedule? eek!

Gundark
*checks Rex's schedule*

http://www.forum-smilies.com/fun_48.gif

It appears you've finished with that drink that had the experimental laxative in it. laughing out loud

Captain REX
Oh...I have to take a shit...oh...

queeq
Remove the butplug first.

Gundark
laughing out loud laughing out loud

I'm not getting THAT close to him.

queeq
On second thought, that is rather gross. http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/otn/puke/repuke.gif

Gundark
Well then we have to go back to asking really stupid questions, like the topic says.

So - back to the 3PO thing. Why did he tell the stormtroopers.."they're heading for the prison level. If you hurry you might catch them"

queeq
Maybe he knew they were already on their way back.

Gundark
I'm not buying that. That sounds like something Obi Wan would have said.

queeq
Only from your point of view.

Gundark
See ? 3PO could have said they were heading to Tarkins' bathroom or something..

finti
hmm kind off kinky if you ask me.
Bathing hour with 3PO eek!

Gundark
I'll pass on the oil bath thank you.

Edna Witch
Oh come on! I thought everyone knew that C3PO was working for the EMpire all along! Nothing but a big old spy!

Gundark
Well it sure sounded that way.

finti
3PO is smart , it got them of his back

queeq
Nah, he DOES work for the Empire. After all, Mr. Empire aka Vader made him. Too bad he's too dumb to realise how to do that, but he had a clear moment there. I think it was the influence of being in the presence of his old master.

Gundark
So the secret is finally revealed...

queeq
Yup. Long live the PT... I guess.

Gundark
Did you hear about Anthony Daniels charging some outrageous amount for his autograph ? Apparently a bunch of little kids waiting hours in line only to find out they couldn't afford it .

queeq
Really???? No more oil baths for him.

Gundark
I've gotta go dig out the article....

queeq
Okay. Mean while I'll take a http://www.maverickreport.com/images/smilies/urinate.gif

finti
He must have some Scotish blood in him that cheap bastards

queeq
laughing out loud

Corran

mechmoggy
I'd show him the money, get him to sign a picture and then run away..........Yoink! big grin

Gundark
Run away ? And how far do you think you'd get, Mech dear ?

mah
easily away from daniels if he runs like C-3po

yerssot
everyone would run away from 3PO actually

Mujaffa
http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/ed/BlueTeamEnforcer.gif
well you should run or he'd call for his trade federation droids

yerssot
wich you can politly call to step aside and they'll do it

LaurenE147
That's the good thing about droids. You can reprogram them to serve you instead of the enemy. cool

Gundark
If you can get to the control center of course. roll eyes (sarcastic)

finti
yeah just try evil face

yerssot
not in AOTC though

Texas
Why doesn't a driod just program other droids to follow him?
Discuss amongst yourselves! wink

Corran
I think OBI-WAN might have the point covered Tex!!!

Gundark
Actually it sounded to me like Obi Wan made that statement in a rhetoric sense.

finti
He did

Gundark
Well thank you for agreeing with me.

finti
of course

LaurenE147
Gundy's always right.http://members.lycos.nl/Dodotje/smilies/pray.gif

Gundark
eek!

Mesa luv yu !!! (no lesbianism intended of course)

LaurenE147
You are my online idol!

Gundark
Gee, I've never been an idol before.

So I just stand real still and scare the natives, right ?

finti
well you get used to be an idol

Gundark
Do tell !!

yerssot
Do drink some more

Gundark
*gets notebook, waits for idol advice from finti*

Mujaffa
thats going to be a long time before you'll get them
http://www.lucasforums.com/images/smilies/nono.gif

Corran
No, No she mau get the advice from Finti quite soon.....it just may not be good advice. wink

Corran
I got a u instead of a y.

LaurenE147
That was very profound Corran. Just because someone gives you advice doesn't mean that it's good.

Corran
I'm sorry, and there was me trying to be all inconspicuous and all!!!!

keokiswahine
I wanna buy a consonant. laughing out loud

yerssot
and I want a big house with a pool big grin

finti
well Gundy if you want idol advice then

Like teenage heat
And carnival cheats
With your heart on your sleeve
Well you know you wanna run
You won't hide
And you jump like a son of a gun

Do not stand in the shadows
Do not stand in the shadows" Billy Idols Dont stand in the shadows

mah
I guess we shouldn't stand in the shadows then

Gundark
mah has the amazing ability to take all the nonsense posted around here and condense it down to a simple sentence.

Go mah !!! cool

mah
yay!rolling on floor laughing
whereas yerss takes simple things and complicates it

yerssot
how do you mean panda?

mah
oi I'm not a panda!

keokiswahine
The shadow will get you then.

Pandas are endangered; you're not. laughing out loud

Dimmy closed the fun threads.... wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

mah
I AM endangered! there's only one of me left! sad

keokiswahine
*mass copies mah with click of a mouse*

shoots, the copy function won't work.

now, how do you make all those bowing smilies? big grin

Julie
dunno...don't care neither evil face

mah
smile
place http://members.lycos.nl/Dodotje/smilies/pray.gif in
-tags

LaurenE147
Maybe everything is endangered. . .

finti
not for long evil face evil face

mah
why do I have the strange feeling of an axe lureing behind me..

finti
evil face yes why do you evil face

mah
where's the nearest exit-door?

finti
right under the axe.....

mah
and nearest window?

finti
behind me evil face

mah
*in C3PO-voice* I'm doomed

finti
yes you are evil face

mah
where is that ToMacco Smacking Machine when you need it?

Gundark
I'm over here, using it on yerssot. Why, you need to borrow it ?

mah
yes please!

finti
Well if you want to slap yourself go ahead, but you wont escape the axe

LaurenE147
*Lauren cackles madly*

I have the finti and yersott and mah and Tomacco smacking machines! You're all doomed!

*More mad cackling*

yerssot
ow please, mah made those and he placed a chip in it so you can't smack either him or me with it

finti
my axe is no machine evil face evil face

mah
darn, where are those droidekas?

yerssot
they went into the ventilationshaft to snuggle

mah
the what can stop me from getting decapitated?

finti
buy some beer it might help wink

LaurenE147
It'll make the pain less severe.

Gundark
I'd recommend whiskey. And lots of it.

finti
Irish coffe is nice, yes that will help cool

Gundark
Lovely.

*sits down to nice irish coffee with finti*

LaurenE147
Brandy is the best.

queeq
And this one's off topic and over 100. Closing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.