Palpatine/Sidious' face

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ballister
This question has probably been asked, but I've never seen answers. How come Palpatine's face gets all screwed up that one moment? I've always thought that it was because Mace was reflecting the lightning back at him, but then the same thing would've happened to Luke in Episode VI. Can anyone who has a real answer explain this?

Jedi Priestess
It has been confirmed that its from the lightning. If you do a search you should be able to find several threads on this to help you out.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=363348&highlight=sidious+appearance

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28233&highlight=sidious+appearance

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=343761&highlight=sidious+appearance

Captain REX
It HAS been done to death, and I'll answer your question before people come on to tell you your mistake in a less than nice fashion.

There are two possibilities, and I prefer the first...

1) The intensity of Palpatine's own power came back on him and melted his face, the official answer from Starwars.com and the Visual Dictionary...

2) Palpatine's 'Chancellor' face was a form of Sith Alchemy that could be used to change facial features, which seems somewhat absurd but at the same time could make sense, if there was no official answer, like #1

The reason Luke isn't 'melted' is because a) it is not his own power, and b) Palpatine isn't trying to kill him...yet; he's torturing him, and that final blast is when he starts to kill him, when Vader picks him up...

Family_guy725
palps was alot stronger in ROTS lol when he hit yoda he went flying

Stun
love the sig FGcool

DiamondBullets
Cuz the Emperor wasn't aiming for, or even hitting Luke's face--he was striking his torso. When Mace was deflecting the lightning it was directly hitting the guy's face. Pay more attention next time.

Dr.Gumby
yeah i do beileve it was just paply was using all of his power in the blast at mace that is why it screwed him up unlike when he used it on luke he was just screwing around with him before making the final blow.

overlord
I don't even think Sidious was trying to kill Luke with it.
Just threatening and torturing him to join the dark side..

Ballister
Yeah, you're right. Although, when Luke resisted the dark side, the emperor said "So be it." right before he started blasting Luke. I thought that meant he would go all out on him, but I guess not. He did go all out on him right before Vader threw him into the DS's core, though.

Alkaselzer
At that point, Sidious has given up on turning Luke. He plans to torture him, then kill him.

Also, in the case of Mace flying and Yoda flying when hit by lightning, as well as Anakin when hit by Dooku, I don't think they were using lightning alone. In the RPGs, they use nifty skills to combine attacks, like Lightning and Force Push.

ArthasKnight
Yes. You'll notice how Mace does not go flying right away. Sidious wanted to roast him for a little and then kill him with a good ol' Force push.

palpy_666
Oh yeah, like simple Force lightning is going to cause:

1.) The enlongation and crusting of fingernails

2.) The yellowing and blacking of the teeth

3.) the yellowing of the eyes

4.) the excessive WRINKLES (not burns and scares)

The only explanation which makes sense is that Sidious' reflected lightning caused an extreme physical manifestation of the Dark Side to occur. The Dark Side is known to eat away at a users body thus the excessive wrinkles (rapid aging), yellow Sith eyes, elongated fingernails, and yellowish black teeth.

Sorgo
Originally posted by palpy_666

The only explanation which makes sense is that Sidious' reflected lightning caused an extreme physical manifestation of the Dark Side to occur. The Dark Side is known to eat away at a users body thus the excessive wrinkles (rapid aging), yellow Sith eyes, elongated fingernails, and yellowish black teeth.

Palpy! It's Exmortis!

WAZZAP!

palpy_666
Originally posted by Sorgo
Palpy! It's Exmortis!

WAZZAP!

Greetings, Ex. Good to hear from you again.

bobcrickett

Whoever didn't think that anyway, as a complication of the 'melting,' is mentally impaired. stick out tongue

shaber
Obviously acting so abominably and plumbing the depths of the dark forces is eventually going to show in the flesh. Lucas just used a pivotal moment to make it more dramatic for the viewers and to ensure Jackson got his "spectacular ending" as well as his purple lightsabre.

Tangible God
Mace had to die, and Palpatine had to get disfigured.

Can anyone possibly think of a reasonable alternative to the lightning? I mean a reasonable one, not some Noob statement.

Ballister

Well... For the yellowing of the eyes, I guess you could be right. When you become extremely dark, your eyes turn yellow because of all the dark side-ness in you. For the yellow teeth... He just has bad teeth. Wrinkles, the lightning. The fingernails... the lightning fries the cells in him, so they get all crusted. Maybe he just does a bad job of biting his finger nails?

bobcrickett
Originally posted by Tangible God
Mace had to die, and Palpatine had to get disfigured.

Can anyone possibly think of a reasonable alternative to the lightning? I mean a reasonable one, not some Noob statement.

The lightning is the official answer, and that his own power- not the lightning, but his actual connectin to the Dark Side- corrupted his body is the most reasonable fan answer. That he was using Sith Alchemy to put on his Chancellor face is a silly fan answer.

Tangible God
Damn straight it is.

Ianus
Yeah. This needs to be pinned or something.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.